Lichtensteiger's knee scoped - What Shape is the O Line in?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:18 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:In summary, IF we stay injury free across the line then we may well get away with it....

IN SHANNY WE TRUST!

8-[

That's a mighty big "IF," you got there, but my "IF" is bigger than yours. :)

I am with you though. When you look across the board with O lines - Pittsburgh, NYG, Cowboys, Cardinals, they are all suffering O line injuries.
Shanny is doing a good job with what he has to work with to include cap space and players.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:31 am

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:we are not exactly ready to be a contender here

Sure we are. With RGIII at the helm, we would have been a contender last year. 8)

we might have been a contender with any decent QB .. so what - the teams we're playing this season are different too :twisted:

SkinsJock wrote:This QB will not be allowed to make risky plays or risk injury

Not be allowed? Just exactly how do you propose they inforce that? Are they going to bench him? :roll:

^^ where do you come up with these suggestions :twisted:

"inforce" - not sure what that is :roll:

however ... most of us understand what we're about to see :roll:

let me help :twisted:

the offensive play calling and the offensive game plan will be to take advantage of this future great QBs talent

AND

to not take un-necessary risks ... especially taking into account this O line

we now have the QB that will lead this franchise for years (NOT just this season) - Mike will NOT let Kyle's play calling put that at risk :wink:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:34 am

Shanny not satisfied with our O line depth as it is

According to media reports, the Redskins put in waiver claims on two interior linemen released by other teams.

Redskins put in a claim on a center Cody Wallace, per a report on Pro Football Talk. Wallace is a journeyman lineman who has spent time with the 49ers, who drafted him in the fourth round in 2008, Lions and Jets. However, the Bucs also claimed Wallace and they had priority so the 28-year-old is headed to Tampa Bay.

Waiver priority is based on 2011 records.

The Redskins also were beaten out on a claim for former Texans guard Shelley Smith. Adam Schefter reported via Twitter that Washington, Seattle, Tennessee and St. Louis put in waiver claims on Smith, a 2010 sixth-round pick of Houston’s. The Rams have waiver priority over every team except the Colts so they were awarded Smith ...

Note that these are not necessarily the only offensive linemen claimed by the Redskins, these are just the only two that were reported.

This is not to say that he is dissatified with the O line depth, but, like he said, when there is a guy out there that fits the scheme and is better than what we have for depth, he goes after him.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:In summary, IF we stay injury free across the line then we may well get away with it....

IN SHANNY WE TRUST!

8-[

I don't really "trust" Mike but I do think that he and Bruce have done fairly well at trying to undo the mess they inherited

I do look for some improvement from the O line but in fact a lot of that will be because the QB and the play calling will help

another year is all we need :wink:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Tandler and El-Bashir's 20 Questions in 20 Days - Offensive Line

Tandler wrote:None inspires great confidence but you can always hide one weak spot. If one starter is out of a game, the Redskins should be OK. Multiple injuries along the line, however, could have us seeing more 10-sack performances.

El-Bashir wrote:If Coach Mike Shanahan wasn’t worried, he wouldn’t have attempted to claim two linemen on waivers Sunday. When healthy, the starting unit is adequate. But right now, it’s not healthy. Left guard Kory Lichtensteiger says he’ll be ready for the Saints after a second surgical procedure on his right knee in 10 months. But how ready? It’s seems doubtful right tackle Jammal Brown will suit up at all this season due to a bum hip. Brown’s backup, Tyler Polumbus, had a strong preseason, but how will he fare when the games count? Questions abound

I tend to agree more with Tandler, injuries are the key and especially if they happen early like last year.

I agre with El-Bashir about how ready Kory will be. It takes at least a calender year to come back from an ACL (unless you are Rice or T.O.). Kory had an ACL and MCL and that was in October. We saw Hightower try to come back to early and we saw Kory have a setback.

I am expecting the five to look like this:

Williams, Hurt, Monty, Chester, Polumbus - this is a better line than we finshed the year with.

We have Williams, Hurt is said to have improved at guard, Monty? Well Monty looks the same, Chester should be improved based on the experience he now has and Polumbus is said to be holding his own with some ups and downs (same as last year). That's three improvements out of 5. Depth? Better than last year - at this time. If given time before the injuries happen and they will, we will be OK (like Tandler said and like SLR, too)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:32 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:we are not exactly ready to be a contender here

Sure we are. With RGIII at the helm, we would have been a contender last year. 8)

we might have been a contender with any decent QB .. so what - the teams we're playing this season are different too :twisted:

SkinsJock wrote:This QB will not be allowed to make risky plays or risk injury

Not be allowed? Just exactly how do you propose they inforce that? Are they going to bench him? :roll:

^^ where do you come up with these suggestions :twisted:

"inforce" - not sure what that is :roll:

however ... most of us understand what we're about to see :roll:

let me help :twisted:

the offensive play calling and the offensive game plan will be to take advantage of this future great QBs talent

AND

to not take un-necessary risks ... especially taking into account this O line

we now have the QB that will lead this franchise for years (NOT just this season) - Mike will NOT let Kyle's play calling put that at risk :wink:

OK, so I mispelled "enforce," but you still didn't explain your "allowed to" comment. I suspect you didn't really mean what you said. Care to take another crack at it? And don't give me any of that not taking unnecessary risks in play calling. That's just a joke. Who would call unnecessarily risky plays for any QB, much less a rookie?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:26 pm

Redskins‏@Redskins

Behind Trent Williams at #Redskins LT is Maurice Hurt, who played primarily at LG last season. Jordan Black backs up Tyler Polumbus at RT

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Grant Paulsen‏@granthpaulsen

Kory Lichtensteiger was asked for his level of confidence that he'll play this Sunday in New Orleans: "100 percent," he said.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:58 pm

Lichtensteiger may be 100 percent sure he'll play. But, I'm not 100 percent sure he'll be effective.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/09/03/lichtensteiger-100-percent-sure-hell-be-ready-to-face-saints/
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:39 pm

^I hope the play is to get Hurt in there to spell him from time to time.

This sounds promising:
Lichtensteiger said he initially considered the possibility of playing through the injury this season, but was told by doctors he would be unlikely to make it through the entire season without having arthroscopic surgery.

If he could play part of the season without the surgery and think that he would be effective, then with the surgery, he should be fine (fingers crossed).

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm leary about Kory based on his comments about pain. He said it feels "OK" which in the macho world of football means, my knee is "HURTING" but I can deal with it. :lol:

Hopefully he can play at a high level through pain, rather than just play through pain.

Lichtensteiger said:

“It felt great at the beginning of camp, the first two days,” Lichtensteiger said. “It feels okay now. It feels like I can play on it. I feel like I’m going to play at the same level as I would have played before, and that’s all you can really ask for. Two knee surgeries in a year, it’s not going to feel great. But it feels as good as it can.”
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:33 am

i'm hearing the Rat Birds just cut Bryant McKinnie because of his $3M+ base salary :shock:

Who cuts their starting right tackle less than a week before the season opener
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:06 pm

The Hogster wrote:I'm leary about Kory based on his comments about pain. He said it feels "OK" which in the macho world of football means, my knee is "HURTING" but I can deal with it. :lol:

Hopefully he can play at a high level through pain, rather than just play through pain.

Lichtensteiger said:

“It felt great at the beginning of camp, the first two days,” Lichtensteiger said. “It feels okay now. It feels like I can play on it. I feel like I’m going to play at the same level as I would have played before, and that’s all you can really ask for. Two knee surgeries in a year, it’s not going to feel great. But it feels as good as it can.”

Good point. Other teams are probably going to target him and find out.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:07 pm

1niksder wrote:i'm hearing the Rat Birds just cut Bryant McKinnie because of his $3M+ base salary :shock:

Well, not the Redskins - we haven't got a starting right tackle!

Has anybody started the "McKinnie - let's sign him up" thread yet?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:18 pm

1niksder wrote:i'm hearing the Rat Birds just cut Bryant McKinnie because of his $3M+ base salary :shock:

I thought he was their LT and Oher had been moved to RT. Either way, that's a surprising cut this late.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football