2012 Honest predictions

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby the poster » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:35 am

RayNAustin wrote:The Redskins should have won 8 games last year. We absolutely lost 3 games we should have won ... and that ill conceived move to

i got news for you. EVERY SINGLE TEAM in the league should have won more games last year.

EVERY SINGLE TEAM that was around 6-10 last year QUOTE-UNQUOTE SHOULD HAVE won 8 games last year.

Whatever the redskins record is this year (likely something around 7 wins) , they wilL SHOULD HAVE won more.

it only matters that you DO win more not talk about it months later that you SHOULD have.

(you don't think those 4 teams that lost to washington don't feel like they SHOULD HAVE won their games against the redskins?)

there's a line between the should have's and those that actually get it done. Washington has been consistently on the wrong side for over a decade. EARN IT.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:41 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
cleg wrote:I'm tired of being patient.

This is the sentiment which causes decisions that results in a need for even more patience

Bam, now that's what I'm talking about. We have a winner! Perfectly put. :up:

I wish I wrote a better sentence. :lol:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:01 pm

RayNAustin wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:Optimist in me?

8 - 8

Pessimist in me?

7 - 9

No playoffs ... YET

Next year? Different story. Winning record and Playoffs. :idea:

The Redskins should have won 8 games last year. We absolutely lost 3 games we should have won ... and that ill conceived move to Beck that led to what was it ... a 4 game losing streak? It was a bad move, and Beck was atrocious. Anytime a guy comes in and then forces a move back to the benched player, that's a problem.

Ray --- should have could have. Bottom line -- you are what your record says you are. No excuses.

We could have won 3 games that we didn't last year, but we also won 4 games against theoreticaly better teams last year. We can't pick and choose games and justify why certain loses (of the 11!) were somehow a fluke. Good teams win the games they should; bad teams don't. We were the later.

In actuality, we were tied for the 5th worst record in the NFL at 5-11 last year (with the 9th easiest SOS in the NFL that year). We were the 7th worst scoring offense in the NFL last year. We had the 7th worst scoring differential in the NFL last year.

While I do believe teams can turn things around from 5-11 to 10-6; I don't see that happening here. While we have an easier schedule than others in the NFC East, it is still much worse than last years (last year we were matched up with the NFC West and AFC East -- only 2 of those teams had winning records). This year we have the NFC South and AFC North -- both top divisions each with 3 very good football teams. On top of it we have a rookie QB and a makeshift OL.

The pessimist/doom & gloom in me sees this team going 4-12 with wins over CLE, MINN, STL, and one division opponent at home. The optimist sees us going 7-9. In the prior 2 seasons I predicted us going 6-10 and the year prior at 7-9. These were pessimistic opinions and I was still 1 game above the actual record, so hopefully this is the year I am way off --- and I will be really happy if it is.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

This is the sentiment which causes decisions that results in a need for even more patience

I'm not sure you could have - it's very clear to me :)

we really need to just sit back and enjoy the good parts - it cannot be as bad as it's been .... can it?
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:16 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

I'm not sure you could have - it's very clear to me :)

we really need to just sit back and enjoy the good parts - it cannot be as bad as it's been .... can it?

No, it definitely can't because it's already gotten better my brutha!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:47 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:No, it definitely can't because it's already gotten better my brutha!

Sadly, too many fans don't realize how terrible the organization was. They don't understand how much work has gone into it. This franchise is not what it used to be, but at least we're no longer the laughing stock of the league. It's an organization that's viewed in a positive light now. I'm grateful for that.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:25 pm

markshark84 wrote:
RayNAustin wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:Optimist in me?

8 - 8

Pessimist in me?

7 - 9

No playoffs ... YET

Next year? Different story. Winning record and Playoffs. :idea:

The Redskins should have won 8 games last year. We absolutely lost 3 games we should have won ... and that ill conceived move to Beck that led to what was it ... a 4 game losing streak? It was a bad move, and Beck was atrocious. Anytime a guy comes in and then forces a move back to the benched player, that's a problem.

Ray --- should have could have. Bottom line -- you are what your record says you are. No excuses.

We could have won 3 games that we didn't last year, but we also won 4 games against theoreticaly better teams last year. We can't pick and choose games and justify why certain loses (of the 11!) were somehow a fluke. Good teams win the games they should; bad teams don't. We were the later.

In actuality, we were tied for the 5th worst record in the NFL at 5-11 last year (with the 9th easiest SOS in the NFL that year). We were the 7th worst scoring offense in the NFL last year. We had the 7th worst scoring differential in the NFL last year.

While I do believe teams can turn things around from 5-11 to 10-6; I don't see that happening here. While we have an easier schedule than others in the NFC East, it is still much worse than last years (last year we were matched up with the NFC West and AFC East -- only 2 of those teams had winning records). This year we have the NFC South and AFC North -- both top divisions each with 3 very good football teams. On top of it we have a rookie QB and a makeshift OL.

The pessimist/doom & gloom in me sees this team going 4-12 with wins over CLE, MINN, STL, and one division opponent at home. The optimist sees us going 7-9. In the prior 2 seasons I predicted us going 6-10 and the year prior at 7-9. These were pessimistic opinions and I was still 1 game above the actual record, so hopefully this is the year I am way off --- and I will be really happy if it is.

I was offering no excuses, just a more legitimate assessment of talent, and I firmly believe that the team did not live up to the level of talent it had last year.

I know the easy answer is that we shouldn't have beaten the Giants, so that offsets a couple of losses that should have been wins ... but that's just not at all accurate. We kicked the Giants tails, BOTH games ... by 14 points in the first meeting, and 13 points the second game. And they were ultimately the Super Bowl champs. These were not "fluke" wins. They were two solid, kick tail wins.

Now, I'll refresh your memory to a crucial turning point. We opened the year at 3-1 (the 1 loss to Dallas at Dallas by 2 points in a game we dominated). So game 5 against the Eagles saw Rex Grossman have perhaps the worst game of his career with 4 interceptions, which we lost making the team 3-2. The QB switch was made to Beck, and we proceeded to lose 3 straight games with an offense that went backwards, and then two more loses with Grossman returning as the starter, one of those games being the 3 point loss to the cowboys in a game we also should have won. That 5 game losing streak sunk the season and left us at 3-7 on the year. It was a huge mistake in retrospect making that game 6 QB switch with a winning record (they did the same thing the previous year benching McNabb for Grossman when the team had a winning record). With the issues at QB and generally, offensive issues ... the Redskins were not going to be a contender last year, because you cannot play musical chairs at the most critical position, with one totally inconsistent player being benched for another player that shouldn't even have been on the team. Beck's talent was totally miscalculated by the Daddy and Boy wonder.

In spite of that, when one looks at how we battled the Patriots down to the wire in game 13, losing the ball inside the 10 in the waning moments, missing an opportunity to tie the game, I see a team that was simply a couple of pieces away from being serious contenders.

Forget those 11 losses ... you can always say we should have won this game or that game ... I'm basing my assessment of the team on their performance against the two teams that were in last year's super bowl, and we whipped the Giants twice badly .. and gave the Patriots everything they could handle. This tells me that the talent of the team was far superior to the 5-11 record, with some dubious coaching decisions playing a huge roll in the overall results.

I compare that to the 49er's who were pathetic in 2010, and a power house in 2011. Teams don't make those leaps in one off season unless they had severely underperformed in the previous year. The big change the 49er's had was a new coaching staff and new system ... same basic personnel and same QB in 2011.

That's why I say that the Redskins are absolutely capable, talent wise, of winning 10 games this year, because we've had a huge talent upgrade at those critical spots that hurt us last year, at QB and WR.

Also, it takes 2-3 years to make the switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4, and I expect that the defense will not only play better this year, but will be helped by a more stable and capable offense, as long as Mike and Kyle don't grossly mismanage the offense and personnel again this year.

I see the team easily able to start the year at 4-2 or better, while RG3 uses those first 6 games to iron out the rookie kinks, coming into his own as the team tackles the toughest stretch of the schedule. So, a 4-2 start and a 6 and 4 end is not overly optimistic ... it should be the expectation. Optimistically, we could start 5-1 and finish 7-3, for an overall 12-4 record.

This team is not the Cleveland Browns or the Miami Dolphins, as so many seem to believe. The performance against the Patriots and Giants last year tells me that there is reason to be optimistic that the huge upgrade at QB could achieve that same type of turnaround the 2010-2011 49er's experienced.

You heard it here first! :lol:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:41 pm

RayNAustin wrote:You heard it here first!

Um, no. I've been saying the same thing all off season (just maybe not as verbosely or eloquently). 8)
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:42 pm

My own observation last year was that merely adequate, much less accurate, QB play would have nudged us over the edge. We were clearly a competitive team, but we made mistakes that kept us from closing things out. A stout running attack and adequate defense were enough to keep us in it. What we needed were good throws on 3rd down to keep drives alive, and a big play down the field now and then to make other teams respect the threat we represented. We just weren't going to get that from Grossman, though he was a good enough game manager to keep us in the mix though disadvantaged.

As I said at the time and then again leading up to the draft, we really were that close to winning games: add competitive QB play, and I think we're going to be able to give teams problems. QB was our bottleneck. It isn't anymore.

Time will tell, but so far I am still confident with my prediction. The preseason went well for RGIII, and I'm inclined to believe all the sources who say the offeason camps and workouts went just as well, too.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

cleg

Postby cleg » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

This is the sentiment which causes decisions that results in a need for even more patience.

Snyder most importantly cannot be impatient cus he's been a failure since buying the team. Mike wasn't here for that. Going into the third year of rebuilding an ENTIRE business... Roster, facilities, trainers, coaches, Front Office... 3 years isnt a long time.

But I am not in any position to influence anything with the Redskins. I am tired of being patient. I hope that Danny S. does not tire of being patient however.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

cleg

Postby cleg » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:No, it definitely can't because it's already gotten better my brutha!

Sadly, too many fans don't realize how terrible the organization was. They don't understand how much work has gone into it. This franchise is not what it used to be, but at least we're no longer the laughing stock of the league. It's an organization that's viewed in a positive light now. I'm grateful for that.

My point, which is not to be taken as criticism, is that I have been being patient longer that CLL has likely been alive. I, like many, have patiently been waiting for 20 years for a return to glory. I understand that will not happen this year or in the next few most likely. Plus, unlike you, CLL, I have to live amongst Eagle fans and hear their chirping all the time. As I said, I am tired of being patient.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:My own observation last year was that merely adequate, much less accurate, QB play would have nudged us over the edge. We were clearly a competitive team, but we made mistakes that kept us from closing things out. A stout running attack and adequate defense were enough to keep us in it. What we needed were good throws on 3rd down to keep drives alive, and a big play down the field now and then to make other teams respect the threat we represented. We just weren't going to get that from Grossman, though he was a good enough game manager to keep us in the mix though disadvantaged.

As I said at the time and then again leading up to the draft, we really were that close to winning games: add competitive QB play, and I think we're going to be able to give teams problems. QB was our bottleneck. It isn't anymore.

Time will tell, but so far I am still confident with my prediction. The preseason went well for RGIII, and I'm inclined to believe all the sources who say the offeason camps and workouts went just as well, too.

I agree. I think the Redskins played it very close to the vest with RG3 in the pre season, given his limited amount of snaps (compared to Luck in Indy), and that big uncharacteristic permanent grin on Shannahan's face this pre-season suggests that he has seen enough of RG3 in practice to have high expectations that exceed 8-8.

Of course it's a lot of hype, but when you have players like Morgan saying that RG3 runs like Vick, throws like Peyton Manning, and makes reads like Tom Brady, we've not heard that kind of talk about a Redskin QB in ... forever.

I think RG3 adds the one dynamic that allows this team to show their actual ability on both sides of the ball. I don't think people understand the psychological impact a sputtering and inconsistent offense, plagued with turnovers (as was the case last year when more interceptions were thrown than were TD's) can have on the entire team.

The one truth that seems to apply more often than not is that the difference between winning and losing has a lot to do with emotion, and outcomes are often decided by a couple of plays ... the ones you make, and the ones you don't make.

Our play making ability has taken a dramatic step up, and that should translate into many more W's.

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:43 am

Ok. taking my own thread of topic here, and this might belong in smack, but does the poster remind anybody of a guy from last year that lost a bet it was banned from the boards? Poster, are you Redskins Rule 56, coming back to talk more nonsense? Just sayin. Thanks everybody for your insight. I think this is been a good topic. I can agree with most everybody on here. I cannot wait until Sunday.

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:43 am

Ok. taking my own thread of topic here, and this might belong in smack, but does the poster remind anybody of a guy from last year that lost a bet it was banned from the boards? Poster, are you Redskins Rule 56, coming back to talk more nonsense? Just sayin. Thanks everybody for your insight. I think this is been a good topic. I can agree with most everybody on here. I cannot wait until Sunday.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:33 am

I always think we will make the playoffs. So getting RG3 only strengthens my belief.

Anyhow all the weapons we have on offense is great. Want to see how our Oline plays. Defensive secondary is a question mark as well. However having a dynamic offense gives you a shot at winning every game.

At first glance our team will probably score some points. Our defense will get more sacks this year but will also give up some yardage in the passing game. So basically as it stands we are in for some shootouts unless our front seven ends up dominating overwhelming. I can easily see ten plus sacks each from our OLBS.

But yeah all in all I see this team going to the playoffs. I am sure thats what they think too. This time it looks like they really believe it though.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football