NFL - best sports league in the world?

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.

How well run is the NFL?

Brilliantly run - the best there is
No votes
Well run
25%
Average
50%
Poorly run
25%

Total votes : 4
|||||||

NFL - best sports league in the world?

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:24 am

The NFL has long been held up as the gold standard for professional sports leagues. Even over here in little old England, it was acknowledged as the benchmark by most knowledgeable observers not obsessed with the Premier League.

In recent times however, the image of efficiency and effective management has surely been tarnished by many incidents. A short but not exhaustive list would include:

1) The dispute with NFLPA and the lockout.
2) Multiple court actions from players seeking redress for concussions and other injuries, including accusations that the league ignored existing evidence of the harm that head traumas in particular were causing.
3) Disciplinary sanctions imposed on players by the commisioner in a manner which sometimes seems arbitrary and heavy handed.
4) Introduction of new rules which some would say are pointless and unpopular with players and fans alike, such as banning of endzone celebrations.
5) Accusations of collusion between owners during the NFLPA dispute.
6) The subsequent dispute with the Redskins and Cowboys for breaking rules that didn't exist during the uncapped year.
7) The current dispute with officials, resulting in some games being officiated appallingly in the first two weeks of the season.
8 ) Ongoing issues regarding the sanctions imposed on some Saints players after "Bounty Gate".

Again, this is not an exhaustive list, and some of the wording might be an expression of my own opinion rather than unargued fact, BUT, the mere fact that the league seems embroiled in so many disputes and controversies suggests that all is not well.

So, is the NFL STILL the best run sports league in the world, or is it not?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:49 am

Before Goodell, the NFL was absolutely the best. Since, well, not so much.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:10 am

Under Goodall it's a joke
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:14 am

I think it depends what critera you are using to judge it.

In terms of club and player happiness, the Premier League would win hands down. Year after year the money being made by the clubs increases, the same of course with the players. The number of countires buying the product is incredible, they're turning the Premier League into a global product that far exceeds any other country in world soccer. I understand the NFL is a global brand but it lags behind the Premier League however. That wasn't the case 10 or 15 years ago.

However, if you are judging it on competitiveness and fair play than the NFL is still the best run sports league. Only 3/4 teams can realistically win the Premier League, add another 3/4 who could challenge with better management or a cash investment in players, and that's your lot. Everyone else is playing for Cups and European tournament qualification.

The NFL has it right with the draft system and salary cap, more teams have a chance to go all the way and its very hard for a team to stay on top of the pile for any period of time. That's the way it should be.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:In terms of club and player happiness, the Premier League would win hands down. Year after year the money being made by the clubs increases, the same of course with the players

Out of curiosity, are the players unionized?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:28 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
SouthLondonRedskin wrote:In terms of club and player happiness, the Premier League would win hands down. Year after year the money being made by the clubs increases, the same of course with the players

There is a PFA which represents the players that was brought in in the 50's or early 60's I think to address player wages. That led to clubs paying players more than the national average or the minimum wage.

Nowadays players are on their own in terms of money and contract negotiations, the PFA need not get involved as players now have so much power.

As a top player, if you feel you deserve more money than your current contract pays you can engineer a move to another team via your agent or use that 'interest' from another club as leverage to get more from your current club.

The PFA now are more involved at a lower league level, issues like race, breach of contract and looking after ex-pros.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:56 am

I voted average. Right now it may seem chaotic but that could easily be turned around and the NFL could be back where it was.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:08 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

As SLR has already said, there is the PFA (Professional Footballers Association), but its role is entirely different to the NFLPA. It represents the interests of players with regard to broad issues such as equality, disciplinary matters (for those offenders who can't afford million pound lawyers), and general welfare. But because there is no collective bargaining arrangement in the Premier League or the Football League, they have nothing like the power that the NFLPA would claim.

The power is entirely with the players in football here, and a proper balance wouldn't be achieved without concerted effort across Europe, possibly even worldwide. There are some efforts to introduce a degree of financial prudence (the Financial Fair Play regulations), but it remains to be seen whether that will have any real impact whatsoever.

The Premier League is a money making phenomenom, but the NFL leads the way with regard to competitive parity. I have a hard time deciding which one is better or worse managed though.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

cleg

Postby cleg » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:43 am

Goodell makes Bud Selig look like the Executive of the Century.

Honestly, the NBA is probably best run. David Stern can print money.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:05 am

I'd also say the NFL is not well run. Almost every major decision by Goodell has been a bad one, and in terms of the image he projects it's even worse.

I also think that nearly all of the player safety talk is (a) posturing and (b) setting up their legal defense when the lawsuits hit in a few more years.

They are still making money, but player and fan experience have really suffered, and it can't be long before that catches up.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:25 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I also think that nearly all of the player safety talk is (a) posturing and (b) setting up their legal defense

I concur.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:40 pm

Average in my book.

Other leagues have problems too but this league could have been much better run.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Where have you gone, Pete Rozelle? We miss you!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Around the League