Atheism?

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
ch1
Posts: 3633
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:The Portable Atheist, by Christopher Hitchens. Dozens of essays by world's greatest thinkers and writers. To mention a few: John Stuart Mill, Karl Marx, Charles Darwin, Mark Twain, H. L. Mencken, Albert Einstein, Richard Dawkins, Salman Rushdie, Percy Shelley, etc. A huge collection, including definitive refutations of proofs, classical and other wise. Proof by natural order comes under fire, as well as proofs by such as Aristotle, Augustine, Aquinas, none of which are taken seriously now.

Nonresponsive.


I was asked what book I was referring to and I answered. What is nonresponsive about that?

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11170
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:30 pm

I knew which book you were talking about.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

ch1
Posts: 3633
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Re: Atheism?

Postby crazyhorse1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:34 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:There is mathematical "proof" for the idea about nothingness


Sorry, you fundamentally don't understand the field of mathematics. No mathematician would say this. They would say it is a logical calculation only, they would never say math proved the real world. What they say is that math can lead us to a logical conclusion, but only empirical data can "prove" they were correct.

If you read any of the greats like Brian Greene's book on string theory and the number of dimensions, Einstein or any of the others, they say exactly that. Research and not their calculations will prove their models right or wrong. They viewed their models as guides for empirical testing.


Note I put "proof" in quotes. In science, nothing is absolute. However, there is more "logical calculation" behind the "nothingness" concept than the "God" concept, which has as much "proof" as the tooth fairy.


"Proof" in quotes didn't fix it when the word was used incorrectly. Hawking doesn't even argue there is no God, he says it's not necessary. He doesn't want the existence of the universe to be proof in itself there is a God.

Steven Hawking: "It is not necessary to invoke God to ... set the Universe going."

As for your argument that science is at conflict with God, you're only talking about the creationist ostriches, who while being a large group are a clear minority of Christians. For the rest, that God created science and that was the method he used to create the universe is a viable answer. No, that doesn't prove God exists. But Hawking neither set about proving God doesn't exist nor made that argument.


It's impossible to prove the nonexistence of God. Being an atheist does not require such a feat. It only requires non-belief.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16277
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Atheism?

Postby Deadskins » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:34 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:It's impossible to prove the nonexistence of God.

Then you can't state that He doesn't exist.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Re: Atheism?

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 am

Deadskins wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:It's impossible to prove the nonexistence of God.

Then you can't state that He doesn't exist.

Well that would work both ways then

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16277
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Atheism?

Postby Deadskins » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 am

Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:It's impossible to prove the nonexistence of God.

Then you can't state that He doesn't exist.

Well that would work both ways then

Which was my point. :roll:
Just as you say I can't prove God's existence, you can't prove God's non-existence. So believe what you believe and be happy. :up:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Re: Atheism?

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:03 am

Deadskins wrote:
Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:It's impossible to prove the nonexistence of God.

Then you can't state that He doesn't exist.

Well that would work both ways then

Which was my point. :roll:
Just as you say I can't prove God's existence, you can't prove God's non-existence. So believe what you believe and be happy. :up:


:lol: Sorry, people around here are a lot more hard headed with thier thoughts on this so not use to someone being willing to see it from both sides.

ch1
Posts: 3633
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Re: Atheism?

Postby crazyhorse1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:54 am

Deadskins wrote:
Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:It's impossible to prove the nonexistence of God.

Then you can't state that He doesn't exist.

Well that would work both ways then

Which was my point. :roll:
Just as you say I can't prove God's existence, you can't prove God's non-existence. So believe what you believe and be happy. :up:


Good idea.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Re: Atheism?

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:56 pm

*TEBOWING*

and then..

*GRIFFINING*

:D

God's awesome, whether real or not.

:lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

ch1
Posts: 3633
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Re: Atheism?

Postby crazyhorse1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:06 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:*TEBOWING*

and then..

*GRIFFINING*

:D

God's awesome, whether real or not.

:lol:


God's also horrible, if he exists. No need to recite all the evidence.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Re: Atheism?

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:25 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:*TEBOWING*

and then..

*GRIFFINING*

:D

God's awesome, whether real or not.

:lol:


God's also horrible, if he exists. No need to recite all the evidence.


There's evidence????? :shock:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16277
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Atheism?

Postby Deadskins » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:29 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:*TEBOWING*

and then..

*GRIFFINING*

:D

God's awesome, whether real or not.

:lol:


God's also horrible, if he exists. No need to recite all the evidence.


There's evidence????? :shock:

Good point, Joe!
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

ch1
Posts: 3633
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Re: Atheism?

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:21 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:*TEBOWING*

and then..

*GRIFFINING*

:D

God's awesome, whether real or not.

:lol:


God's also horrible, if he exists. No need to recite all the evidence.


There's evidence????? :shock:


Disease, wars, death of children, torture, evil, Holocaust, etc.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16277
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:56 am

So you admit there's evidence?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: Atheism?

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:53 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:*TEBOWING*

and then..

*GRIFFINING*

:D

God's awesome, whether real or not.

:lol:


God's also horrible, if he exists. No need to recite all the evidence.


There's evidence????? :shock:


Disease, wars, death of children, torture, evil, Holocaust, etc.


So your teacher is horrible if they let you get a bad grade for not studying enough? Your parents are horrible if you don't get an allowance for not doing your chores? Trials are how people grow. If everything went right in my life and there were no consequences for my poor choices, I wouldn't grow and I wouldn't appreciate what I had.

We have the power to be happy, no "horrible" God would give us that power. Those are examples of an intelligent God, not a horrible one. One who believes that personal responsibility goes with personal freedom, something more and more lacking in this country right now.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to The Lounge