Bull...Greenbay got ROBBED by refs...

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
kazoo
Posts: 10195
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:14 am

tribeofjudah wrote:Gamblers beware: don't lose your $$$ to these refs.

I feel sorry for those who LOST money on this game...


The more bonehead play was by Jennings than the refs. Had he not gone for the ego interception and just knocked the ball down, it was game over. Going for the ego in a crowd invites a simultaneous catch opportunity. While I agree it was a bad call, it only happened because Jennings made even a dumber play to set it up.

For those who defend Kyle and Morgan because their mistakes happened only after official mistakes, check and mate. For the rest, at least be honest, he clearly could have and should have driven the ball into the ground. Coaches should save that play and show it to their d-backs for that reason.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

piglet
User avatar
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: University Place, Washington

Postby blowwad » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:31 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:Gamblers beware: don't lose your $$$ to these refs.

I feel sorry for those who LOST money on this game...


The more bonehead play was by Jennings than the refs. Had he not gone for the ego interception and just knocked the ball down, it was game over. Going for the ego in a crowd invites a simultaneous catch opportunity. While I agree it was a bad call, it only happened because Jennings made even a dumber play to set it up.

For those who defend Kyle and Morgan because their mistakes happened only after official mistakes, check and mate. For the rest, at least be honest, he clearly could have and should have driven the ball into the ground. Coaches should save that play and show it to their d-backs for that reason.


Perhaps Jennings had watched the Detroit/Tennessee game from Sunday...

tribe
Posts: 6107
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:34 am

Deadskins wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:How could this have happened, you ask?

1. refs are totally incapable and intimidated
2. had they made the RIGHT call - they all would have been scalped by the fans
3. Can we say: Home Field Advantage?


It AIN'T right guys.......it JUST AIN'T RIGHT....!!!

We didn't get that home field advantage from the exact same officiating crew. :roll:


I know...and it JUST AIN'T RIGHT
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

tribe
Posts: 6107
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 am

One way to prevent this is to BLOW OUT the other team. Don't leave fate to a last minute play and some inept refs. Easier said than done.

Many games come down to the wire - and stuff like this ensues.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

The Punisher
Posts: 2593
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Manassas

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:54 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Bob 0119 wrote:Any argument about the scab officials being as good as the regular officials dies with that play if nothing else


No one has argued they are now "as good." So you're arguing with no one.


The NFL seems to be
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

The Punisher
Posts: 2593
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Manassas

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:55 am

Deadskins wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:How could this have happened, you ask?

1. refs are totally incapable and intimidated
2. had they made the RIGHT call - they all would have been scalped by the fans
3. Can we say: Home Field Advantage?


It AIN'T right guys.......it JUST AIN'T RIGHT....!!!

We didn't get that home field advantage from the exact same officiating crew. :roll:


Of course we did. We had that officiating crew in St. Louis...
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

kazoo
Posts: 10195
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:08 am

Bob 0119 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Bob 0119 wrote:Any argument about the scab officials being as good as the regular officials dies with that play if nothing else


No one has argued they are now "as good." So you're arguing with no one.


The NFL seems to be


OK, fair enough. I thought you meant the discussion on the site. I have been the most "pro" replacement, and even I didn't argue they have been as good as the regulars, I thought that was what you were referring to.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog
Posts: 1703
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Postby grampi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:43 am

RayNAustin wrote:I watched the game, and this was clearly a travesty .... I would support a NFLPA strike next week .... a walk out in support of the regular officials against these Billionaire Buffoons that refuse to protect the integrity of the game, while they demand integrity from the players that they are jeopardizing with these nincompoop zebras.


I agree, and McCarthy should file a formal complaint against the league over the final play....a play that was solely responsible for the Packers losing the game, a play where the wrong call was clearly made and it's indisputable, a call the league cannot defend...in the meantime, the Packers need to put this behind them and move on...not an easy multi-task...

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 15879
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:10 am

grampi wrote:McCarthy should file a formal complaint against the league over the final play....a play that was solely responsible for the Packers losing the game, a play where the wrong call was clearly made and it's indisputable, a call the league cannot defend.

That's where you're wrong.
Deadskins wrote:
Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 5 of the NFL rulebook discusses a simultaneous catch.

"If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control," the rule states.

The rulebook also states when a simultaneous catch is ruled, you can't review who made the catch. You can only review if it was complete or incomplete.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... le=HP11_cp

OK, that last line means that the refs didn't have the option of overturning the call. Obviously, that is a stupid rule. They should just make everything reviewable. You should even be able to challenge calls that were not made. The goal of replay is to get the calls right, isn't it? You still only have two challenges, so it wouldn't slow the game down any.

The regular refs have made game costing blown calls too, in even more important games (the Tom Brady tuck rule comes to mind), and the league defended those calls. Several years back the 49ers were given a game saving call against the G-strings in a playoff game, and the league issued an apology, but that was little consolation to the G-strings (I did like that one :P ). These things happen, so I don't see where this really changes anything. They need to fix the replay system, so that any aspect of any play can be reviewed.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
Posts: 1025
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Arlington, VA (Ballston)

Postby ACW » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:40 am

Deadskins wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:How could this have happened, you ask?

1. refs are totally incapable and intimidated
2. had they made the RIGHT call - they all would have been scalped by the fans
3. Can we say: Home Field Advantage?


It AIN'T right guys.......it JUST AIN'T RIGHT....!!!

We didn't get that home field advantage from the exact same officiating crew. :roll:
They reffed the Rams game, not the Bengals game.

kazoo
Posts: 10195
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:43 am

Deadskins wrote:
grampi wrote:McCarthy should file a formal complaint against the league over the final play....a play that was solely responsible for the Packers losing the game, a play where the wrong call was clearly made and it's indisputable, a call the league cannot defend.

That's where you're wrong.
Deadskins wrote:
Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 5 of the NFL rulebook discusses a simultaneous catch.

"If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control," the rule states.

The rulebook also states when a simultaneous catch is ruled, you can't review who made the catch. You can only review if it was complete or incomplete.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... le=HP11_cp

OK, that last line means that the refs didn't have the option of overturning the call. Obviously, that is a stupid rule. They should just make everything reviewable. You should even be able to challenge calls that were not made. The goal of replay is to get the calls right, isn't it? You still only have two challenges, so it wouldn't slow the game down any.

The regular refs have made game costing blown calls too, in even more important games (the Tom Brady tuck rule comes to mind), and the league defended those calls. Several years back the 49ers were given a game saving call against the G-strings in a playoff game, and the league issued an apology, but that was little consolation to the G-strings (I did like that one :P ). These things happen, so I don't see where this really changes anything. They need to fix the replay system, so that any aspect of any play can be reviewed.


Remember when Troy Aikman looked downfield and when he didn't find an open receiver spiked it and they gave him the spike instead of intentional grounding?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 15879
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:59 am

I remember Deion Sanders being sprung for a game winning punt return by a blatant block in the back right in front of the ref that was never called. And the Thanksgiving game where our receiver had his shirt pulled over his shoulder pads on a PI in the endzone that was never called. It always seemed like Dallas was the beneficiary of those bad calls, and non calls.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 10997
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:08 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Bob 0119 wrote:Any argument about the scab officials being as good as the regular officials dies with that play if nothing else


No one has argued they are now "as good." So you're arguing with no one.


But people have said that there isn't a significant difference between the two, which is equally as untrue.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 10997
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:Gamblers beware: don't lose your $$$ to these refs.

I feel sorry for those who LOST money on this game...

The more bonehead play was by Jennings than the refs. Had he not gone for the ego interception and just knocked the ball down, it was game over. Going for the ego in a crowd invites a simultaneous catch opportunity. While I agree it was a bad call, it only happened because Jennings made even a dumber play to set it up.

There was a prominent game last year where a DB knocked down a ball on a Hail Mary . . . into the hands of a WR for the touchdown. Jennings had more than one Seattle WR below him, so there was probably as much risk in knocking down the ball as there was going for the INT. I don't think his move was a "boneheaded" or selfish play at all.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

kazoo
Posts: 10195
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:16 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Bob 0119 wrote:Any argument about the scab officials being as good as the regular officials dies with that play if nothing else


No one has argued they are now "as good." So you're arguing with no one.


But people have said that there isn't a significant difference between the two, which is equally as untrue.


Well, again unless someone wants to dispute me on this, I think I'm the most extreme in that regard and I don't agree with that characterization. I said they were as good as the regulars this week ... until the last two minutes of the game and they completely lost control of it. I tore them apart last week for sucking. I said the first week that they made some bonehead calls, but so do the regular refs. Deadskins gave a pretty good laundry list of their blown calls the first week. He's also given a pretty good laundry list of the regular officials blown calls.

I would agree with your statement, I've said there isn't a significant difference between the two ... for periods of time. However, to eliminate that qualification is a major, major difference between that and the statement without the qualification.

I'va also argued they will get better with more classroom time and experience, which will help them maintain control of games. They are also going to have to crack down on teams that try to play like the Rams did thinking they won't do anything about it, which so far they haven't. I also said since we replaced them all at once, there are going to be bad choices all at once and they have to replace them. At that point, I don't think there will be a major difference. However, again, eliminating that and saying I'm saying there is no significant difference now is just not true.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Around the League