Refs: What is your proposal for the NFL solution

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
kazoo

Refs: What is your proposal for the NFL solution

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:00 am

In other threads, as the word "scab" came up, I argued the other side of "scab," However, here I'd like to ask a serious question about how the NFL is supposed to solve this exactly. The NFL refs want to be "full time." While I personally would like to see this, the NFL doesn't want to do it. This question isn't about that debate, let's assume the NFL isn't going to do it.

So, government prevents the NFL from firing the refs no matter what they demand. So they can't hire permanent replacements. They can try to break the union, but as the constant calling of the replacement "scabs" shows that'll create a permanent rift in the officiating if it works, and it's still going to take time. Same issue as the players with the replacement teams.

So, seriously, what is your solution? How does the NFL "solve" this and bring in the regular refs next week? Anyone got a solution other then "cave?"
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:11 am

We both agree that the Refs should be full time employees. They should be rotating between teams during practices during the weeks, or splitting the crew between the two teams that are playing in their game for the upcoming week.

This would help the teams and officials get an idea of how the game is going to be called.

Absolutely the NFL should cave. They can't suspend the season without the refs and clearly they can't continue with these replacements.

I don't like organized labor any more than you do, and I don't like the refs grabbing the league by the short and curlys either, but sometimes you gotta admit when you're beat.

If the NFL wants to add more crews, or add more personnel, they shouldn't do it at the expense of the existing crews or personnel. I 100% support the league demanding more of the officiating crews, but they seem to have gone about it the wrong way.

Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't the league have shelved their idea for the immediate time being and agreed to continue negotiations without locking out the current officials?
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:21 am

Bob 0119 wrote:I don't like organized labor any more than you do

To clarify on this, and I think you agree with it Bob based on our prior discussions, I dislike the reality of what most organized labor is in this country. I'm in fact not in any way opposed to organized labor that uses only it's own, market power. If labor can bring management to it's knees using market power, then I am completely for them. However, government guns have no place in management/labor contract negotiations, and that they are is what I believe has created the labor mess we have in this country.

I am against government unions, like FDR was. It's inconsistent with "public service" and there should never be a negotiation for money between two parties who are not footing the bill. The taxpayer.

Bob 0119 wrote:and I don't like the refs grabbing the league by the short and curlys either, but sometimes you gotta admit when you're beat

I don't think they are beat though. Granted there is a lot of criticism, but the old adage is no publicity is bad publicity. I'm not seeing anyone taking their wallets and going home. And I do object to being coerced.

Bob 0119 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't the league have shelved their idea for the immediate time being and agreed to continue negotiations without locking out the current officials?

I have not read enough about the lockout to have an opinion on this, but I think it's an excellent question. Maybe they end the lockout now? That is actually a pretty good answer to my question in the op.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:05 am

If we have to assume the NFL won't make the refs full-time employees, then I don't know how they will resolve it within the week unless they make some other concessions. Maybe throw a few million more on the table?

Making them full-timers does resolve the problem, however, and would probably represent a big improvement to the game.

Asking how the NFL can solve it without "caving" is nonsensical, because right now the regular refs are gaining leverage by the week. Why would they randomly decide to cave? The NFL will need to concede something here. Good thing Goodell is in charge, right?
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:09 am

Irn-Bru wrote:Asking how the NFL can solve it without "caving" is nonsensical, because right now the regular refs are gaining leverage by the week. Why would they randomly decide to cave? The NFL will need to concede something here. Good thing Goodell is in charge, right?

I agree with this and you make good points in the rest of your post, but you realize on this one that this question was the point of my op, not counter to it. My whole point was that people just say the NFL has to resolve it without offering a solution. I'm asking how can they do that except by caving? Maybe I misunderstood your point, but I thought the way you said it you meant it was counter to my point somehow.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:15 am

I think people want the NFL to cave, and that's the solution they have in mind, so they aren't being hypocritical in demanding that this thing get resolved.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:21 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I think people want the NFL to cave, and that's the solution they have in mind, so they aren't being hypocritical in demanding that this thing get resolved.

Fair enough, but they should say that and stand behind it. They make it sound like the NFL could easily resolve it, but don't say how. If they just say they are on the refs side, cave and be done with it, it's a fair answer to the question.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:43 am

The NFL should definitely cave, IMO. I side with the refs, even though they've screwed the Skins multiple times in the past. Part of me just wants to see the NFL lose at least one battle, but I also feel it would be for the good of the game.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Refs: What is your proposal for the NFL solution

Postby 1niksder » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:48 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:In other threads, as the word "scab" came up, I argued the other side of "scab," However, here I'd like to ask a serious question about how the NFL is supposed to solve this exactly. The NFL refs want to be "full time." While I personally would like to see this, the NFL doesn't want to do it. This question isn't about that debate, let's assume the NFL isn't going to do it.

Actually it's the NFL that wants full-time Refs, or at least "some" full-time refs. The league also wants to add more officials and create a performance-based assignment method. The NFLRA thinks the additional officials would lead to the current refs getting fewer game assignments, which would mean less money.

KazooSkinsFan wrote:So, government prevents the NFL from firing the refs no matter what they demand. So they can't hire permanent replacements. They can try to break the union, but as the constant calling of the replacement "scabs" shows that'll create a permanent rift in the officiating if it works, and it's still going to take time. Same issue as the players with the replacement teams.

The NFL has locked out a bunch of part-time refs that have full-time jobs in their "real" lives, the league wants some of them to switch from part-time to full-time but aren't making them a offer good enough to quit their current full-time jobs. The locked out refs think the NFL will use the "some" full-time refs to slowly replace the "mostly" part-time refs. That's just ONE of the current issues, although it sound likes it's all about money, but money is a whole separate issue in this dispute. The 119 officials that worked in 2011 made a average of $149,000 and the leagues offer would have raised that amount to a average of about $189,000. From what I've heard the sides are less than $10M apart on this, it's a issue but not really a a hurdle if it weren't for other issues. The Biggest issue is the League wants to take away what it was already giving these guys (this is the only thing that's remotely like the situation between the NFL and NFLPA dispute). NFL official were hired with the promise of a defined-benefit pension package which has been honored since 1974 and now the league wants to switch from a pension to a 401(k) plan instead.

KazooSkinsFan wrote:So, seriously, what is your solution? How does the NFL "solve" this and bring in the regular refs next week? Anyone got a solution other then "cave?"

Increasing the workforce, without increasing the overall compensation money for that workforce is a hard pill to swallow for the locked out refs...

Telling those same guys that you are no longer going to be getting the pension package you've been planning on but you can buy stock and hope for the best with the little bit of extra money you might see, won't go down easy either.

The NFLRA never voted to go on strike.... the league locked them out....
If the NFL let them in today they would....

1.) Contact their employers/partners/assistants and make arrangements to spend time away from their job(like they do for 4 months out of the year this time of year).

2.) They would all get together and look over what the League is offering

3.) Hold a vote that would more than likely result in the Refs going on strike.

4.) go back to their full-time jobs with weekends off, no travel, and be out less than $200K per year for 20 weeks of work.

The NFL might have to "cave" if they can find a way to stay on course. The league's plan is and has been to develop it own full-time refs and the "some" current part-time refs that switched to full-time were to be the core of that group. I think this would be good for the game, but they were looking at around 2015 as a starting point. That time line needs to move up. Once the NFL has it's own refs, somewhere down the road they will have a labor dispute and the league can call in the current locked out refs, and people will call them scabs but at least they'll have a history with NFL.

This current group needs to go, they don't know the rules and are way over their heads due to no fault of their own...

One ref couldn't remember what side of the 50 yard line the LOS was on and marked off a penalty from the wrong 44 yard line (that's 12 yards plus the penalty (that was a bad call)), granted it's not a 20 yard, dead ball penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct (for telling a guy what he should have known), but they happened the same weekend the everyone that watches MNF saw two of these guys stand over a couple of players to see who had the ball, then one guy signals to stop the clock (although time had expired... but is the prelude to signaling touchback) and the other guy signals Touchdown
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:02 pm

Good info nik, thanks. When the discussion started I spent a half hour or so trying to search what the issues were and all I got ware rants which were all opinion and no facts to back them up. I learned way more about the issue reading this then all of the articles I saw combined.

On the pensions, almost everyone but government is going to DC from DB plans, it's the reality of the marketplace. In my management consulting days, I spent some serious time in the field. They always talk about the risk, but DB plans are also a huge balance sheet nightmare. You can have a fully funded plan one year, then the next have a huge liability because interest rates drop and expected returns drop. Then the next year have it go away when the market goes up. And none of the gains or losses are real, they are just GAAP rules. There is no problem so big or so complex that our government can't make it worse.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:13 pm

Sidenote.. On Steve Zaben's show this morning it was stated that if the refs were given the ok to come back, it would take an additional 2 or 3 weeks before we'd even see them. Something about getting up to speed and the new Nike uniforms.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:55 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Sidenote.. On Steve Zaben's show this morning it was stated that if the refs were given the ok to come back, it would take an additional 2 or 3 weeks before we'd even see them. Something about getting up to speed and the new Nike uniforms.

It is true. Adam Schefter said so as well in the NFL Network as well:

Reporting, new uniforms, conditioning tests, etc.

It will not be this weekend but one after AT BEST if this is settled before Friday. Most likely, we have two more games with SCABS.

God help us. :roll:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm not sure I understand how a slightly out-of-shape ref who is NFL quality but hasn't done a game in 9 months is going to be worse than the current replacement refs.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I'm not sure I understand how a slightly out-of-shape ref who is NFL quality but hasn't done a game in 9 months is going to be worse than the current replacement refs.

:lol:

Valid point bro.. Bru.. LOL
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:42 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:Good info nik, thanks. When the discussion started I spent a half hour or so trying to search what the issues were and all I got ware rants which were all opinion and no facts to back them up. I learned way more about the issue reading this then all of the articles I saw combined.

No problem... the issues were hard to find before the games (even the fake ones) started. Once the league teed up the pre-season everything got pushed behind the headlines of the 2012 season. Now it's like the TH.n off-season (it's all about leverage :shock:). They all wanted it and stopped talking all together, so as a public we weren't interested in what they weren't talking about... we had Football.

KazooSkinsFan wrote:On the pensions, almost everyone but government is going to DC from DB plans, it's the reality of the marketplace. In my management consulting days, I spent some serious time in the field. They always talk about the risk, but DB plans are also a huge balance sheet nightmare. You can have a fully funded plan one year, then the next have a huge liability because interest rates drop and expected returns drop. Then the next year have it go away when the market goes up. And none of the gains or losses are real, they are just GAAP rules. There is no problem so big or so complex that our government can't make it worse.

:shock: What's government got to do with this? The last thing the NFL wants is government involvement, if the refs felt safe relying on the government they wouldn't need the NFLRA. If the government had any say in this we'd still be waiting on opening weekend.

The refs were getting direct benefits and were happy, they didn't ask for or want more, the league made a power move and the refs were ready for them... 1.) Because most of them make more money during the off-season than they do as officials. 2.) the NFL used the same strategy on the NFLPA last year. 3.) 401Ks are more unstable than the pension plans they were happy with, and crashed as hard as the the real estate market if not harder, while knowing the money they would receive from their pensions was money from the league's profits and no matter how much or how little it wasn't money invested but time invested, with the NFL's new 401K plan the payouts would still be just as unstable but backed by money invested by the refs regardless of how long they have been working in the league.

The refs tried to meet the league halfway by agreeing to "New" refs falling under the 401K plan while those already employed and promised (their words not mine) a pension would see no reductions in their benefits.

The league took the gamble that we wouldn't care, it worked for a minute.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to Around the League