Refs: What is your proposal for the NFL solution

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:03 am

It has been at least a couple of decades since I recommend an article from SI but this is worth it:

You lost, Roger; do the right thing and bring the real refs back
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 am

1niksder wrote: :shock: What's government got to do with this?

I was referring to government regulations for accounting (GAAP) causing balance sheet swings and government regulations to fund pensions, which can create sudden, huge liabilities even for a completely responsible company that is fully funding their pension. That's a big part of what's driving the market from defined benefit (i.e., pensions) to defined contribution (e.g., 40K) plans. I wasn't referring here to specifically it being targeted at the NFL, it's a big part of why it's happening everywhere. But it is happening everywhere, the refs aren't immune to it.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 am

Well, looks like the owners aren't going to end this. Why should they, Mara's Giants are 2-1...

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8426996

Source: No deal for refs in lockout
Chris Mortensen [ARCHIVE]

ESPN | September 26, 2012

Negotiators for the NFL and the NFL Referees Assocation met until 2 a.m. ET Wednesday in an attempt to iron out their differences in a months-long lockout but did not reach a deal, a source said.

League owners are not willing to compromise further and differences remain on several issues, including pensions for the officials and the process by which the NFL evaluates referees, the source said.

The officials work about 36 hours a week -- nearly full time -- and pension benefits have become an important issue to them. It would probably cost each team about $100,000 to settle the pension issue.

The sides are expected to talk again Wednesday, though it's not clear if those will be face-to-face meetings or simply the passing of information between the sides.

NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith reiterated in an interview Wednesday with "CBS This Morning" that the NFL's lockout of its officials presents a safety issue for the players.

"When you take a group of officials who have a collective experience of 1,500 years off the field and you replace them with a group of replacements who don't have that experience, our players know that the workplace today is less safe than it was with the real officials," he said.

However, Smith said the NFLPA isn't planning a boycott of games over the issue.

"I'm not sure it's ever a good idea to punish our fans because we're mad at the owners," he said. "What we're going to do is to make sure that the NFL honors its obligation to keep the workplace safe. We'll take every legal action that we can and that we need."

Tuesday's talks between the NFL and the NFLRA were scheduled before Monday night's game in Seattle between the Seahawks and the Green Bay Packers ended in a controversial call that gave Seattle a touchdown catch for receiver Golden Tate and 14-12 victory.

The NFL on Tuesday reaffirmed the ruling as information came out that Lance Easley, the side judge at the heart of the controversial call, never had worked above the Division III college level before becoming a replacement official.

The league provided information stating that Easley had four years of officiating experience, none above the Division III level. That revelation comes after the league said Seattle's last-second touchdown pass should not have been overturned but conceded that Seahawks receiver Golden Tate should have been called for offensive pass interference before the catch.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:06 pm

Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:22 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I was referring to government regulations for accounting (GAAP) causing balance sheet swings and government regulations to fund pensions, which can create sudden, huge liabilities even for a completely responsible company that is fully funding their pension. That's a big part of what's driving the market from defined benefit (i.e., pensions) to defined contribution (e.g., 40K) plans. I wasn't referring here to specifically it being targeted at the NFL, it's a big part of why it's happening everywhere. But it is happening everywhere, the refs aren't immune to it.

It's a done deal....

Roger GoDaHell caved....

It’s an eight-year deal, the current pension system will remain in place through 2016, switches to a defined contribution plan after 2016, with the NFL contributing about $18,000 per official per year and increases to more than $23,000 on average by 2019. Salaries will average $173,000 in 2013 and the average pay per official will jump to $205,000 by 2019.

The NFL got more refs, but if yjey use them they still have to pay the refs they replace as if they worked the game. Also, the officials will get 12 guaranteed game checks this year (19 next year).
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:49 am

1niksder wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

It's a done deal....

Roger GoDaHell caved....

It’s an eight-year deal, the current pension system will remain in place through 2016, switches to a defined contribution plan after 2016, with the NFL contributing about $18,000 per official per year and increases to more than $23,000 on average by 2019. Salaries will average $173,000 in 2013 and the average pay per official will jump to $205,000 by 2019.

The NFL got more refs, but if yjey use them they still have to pay the refs they replace as if they worked the game. Also, the officials will get 12 guaranteed game checks this year (19 next year).

Pocket change for a multi-billion dollar organization.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:19 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:
1niksder wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

It's a done deal....

Roger GoDaHell caved....

Pocket change for a multi-billion dollar organization.

True... but like I said it was a power move by GoDaHell, in the end he gave in.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to Around the League