Coaches film

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
**ch44
Posts: 2366
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Coaches film

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:44 am

I've bought the coaches film for the season...I can't believe how much of the game we miss on the broadcast. I mean, here I am screaming about how bad the secondary is, without even really seeing them. Just taking commentators opinions and using them for my own. Well, no more.

Has anyone else even looked at the all-22 film? I will try to break down the film for each of the games, but would love to get others to do the same, so we can hopefully get some better insight as to what the problems were instead of just saying...Hall is terrible, or replace Haslett while not even seeing the entire field of play.

Anyway here goes
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

-----------
Posts: 2497
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:30 pm
Location: Arkansas

Postby Smithian » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:07 am

I can confidently say we have some defensive issues, coach's film or not. Even if we had the film, we don't particularly know the play calls and coverage.

Something has to happen, because so far the defense has been borderline awful.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Postby die cowboys die » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:03 am

awesome. looking forward to it.

CKRGiii
Posts: 4173
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Coaches film

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:29 am

chiefhog44 wrote:I've bought the coaches film for the season...I can't believe how much of the game we miss on the broadcast. I mean, here I am screaming about how bad the secondary is, without even really seeing them. Just taking commentators opinions and using them for my own. Well, no more.

Has anyone else even looked at the all-22 film? I will try to break down the film for each of the games, but would love to get others to do the same, so we can hopefully get some better insight as to what the problems were instead of just saying...Hall is terrible, or replace Haslett while not even seeing the entire field of play.

Anyway here goes


Any findings?

Imo, from what I've seen... hall is one of the hardest workers out there. Be it the play call or some one out of position, I think most catches on "his" guy aren't solely on him.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:56 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Hooligan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Very interested in this. Thanks in advance.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 3159
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Coaches film

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:10 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:I've bought the coaches film for the season...I can't believe how much of the game we miss on the broadcast. I mean, here I am screaming about how bad the secondary is, without even really seeing them. Just taking commentators opinions and using them for my own. Well, no more.

Has anyone else even looked at the all-22 film? I will try to break down the film for each of the games, but would love to get others to do the same, so we can hopefully get some better insight as to what the problems were instead of just saying...Hall is terrible, or replace Haslett while not even seeing the entire field of play.

Anyway here goes


Any findings?

Imo, from what I've seen... hall is one of the hardest workers out there. Be it the play call or some one out of position, I think most catches on "his" guy aren't solely on him.


Tend to agree with you. On the first play last week, it was Gomes' man that got away but the announcers incorrectly faulted Hall because he was the closest giving chase. In hindsight, Hall and Gomes should have switched men prior to the snap.

CKRGiii
Posts: 4173
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Coaches film

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Burgundy&Wha? wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:I've bought the coaches film for the season...I can't believe how much of the game we miss on the broadcast. I mean, here I am screaming about how bad the secondary is, without even really seeing them. Just taking commentators opinions and using them for my own. Well, no more.

Has anyone else even looked at the all-22 film? I will try to break down the film for each of the games, but would love to get others to do the same, so we can hopefully get some better insight as to what the problems were instead of just saying...Hall is terrible, or replace Haslett while not even seeing the entire field of play.

Anyway here goes


Any findings?

Imo, from what I've seen... hall is one of the hardest workers out there. Be it the play call or some one out of position, I think most catches on "his" guy aren't solely on him.



Tend to agree with you. On the first play last week, it was Gomes' man that got away but the announcers incorrectly faulted Hall because he was the closest giving chase. In hindsight, Hall and Gomes should have switched men prior to the snap.


Funny you say that man, good eye.. Hall explained he was trying to relay the play call to everyone but couldn't in time and he and the safety should have switched who was on the wr and who had the wildcat. Has confirmed it too
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

**ch44
Posts: 2366
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:03 pm

Rams Game

Defensive calls seemed to be mixed up quite a bit. They used a single high safety with man underneath quite a bit. They used cover two or cover three in the red zone most of the time. Mixed in some other coverages that were interesting. The CBs whould be manned up on the WRs while the entire middle of the field seemed to be in zone. They called a cover 2 zone and flipped the CB and the safety to conceal it. Zone was used in the nickel at first and then switched to man. One thing the Rams did consistently was to run motion to tip off Bradford on the coverage and it was pretty easy to tell right away what was called.

I felt like DJ would move down in the box way to early which would allow Bradford to understand where to go with the ball. He would come down, the LB on that side would rush, and the slot receiver would run an out route for an easy completion away from DJ. All other coverage was pretty tight in man. Zone was a different story. There was some break down for sure. Often saw Fletcher or Hall talking to the guilty party after the play.

DJ would almost always come down in the box and offer run support or play man. His man was targeted often. He did a fair job in coverage making a very good play on a deep ball to the corner, but too often, he was out of position in zone. He missed one tackle in run support that ended up going for about 30 yards to the 5 yard line. He just flat missed and it was a crucial play.

When the Rams went bunch set, you would have three defensive players go into a zone and the receivers would work DJ in particular to get a receiver open like when they ran a TE across his face, he did a good job passing him on Fletcher, but couldn't get back to the WR who was trailing the initial route for a easy pitch and catch.

On multiple plays, I saw Perry Riley with blown coverage. In zone he would immediately go towards the RB in the flat, and a WR would curl into his zone. The RB would already have a corner covering him, so it ended up being A huge hole in the middle of the field, while the RB was doubled. That's where a good chunk of yardage came from.

Hate to say it, but Fletcher missed a few tackles that he usually makes. One on S. Jackson where he took it down the sideline for about 25 yards. He's got to make those. He did come up with a couple huge turnovers, so that's nice.

Overall, the problems I saw were with blown assignments by Riley, a few missed tackles by Fletcher, and lack of talent by DJ Gomes. Just one mans opinion, so don't beat me up on it, but I definitely think Meriweather coming back may help quite a bit. Riley will get better...he's still learning, and for every miss Fletcher makes, he gets a turnover,.

On to the Bengals
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1184
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Co. Cavan, Ireland

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:03 am

Great stuff Chief, keep it coming!!!
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5220
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:03 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby cvillehog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Very much looking forward to hearing what you find on the tape. I've been thinking about getting it myself, but I'm not sure I'd know what all I was looking at!

The Punisher
Posts: 2593
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Manassas

Postby Bob 0119 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:20 pm

cvillehog wrote:Very much looking forward to hearing what you find on the tape. I've been thinking about getting it myself, but I'm not sure I'd know what all I was looking at!


I have it on the iPad and it's nice. It's actually pretty approachable and you do learn a lot (maybe not specifically what the play is called, but what the whole play looks like)

The Coaches film shows you the play twice, from two different angles.

Each play starts with a shot of the clock which gives you the down and distance etc.

You can watch the whole game that way, no commentary, or jump directly to the plays you want to watch (and they'll roll into the next play if you don't choose something else).

Chief's report was awesome. It took a lot of work to study that and my hat is off to him.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:33 am
Location: MiddleONowhere, Iowa

Postby TimSkin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:54 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:Rams Game

Defensive calls seemed to be mixed up quite a bit. They used a single high safety with man underneath quite a bit. They used cover two or cover three in the red zone most of the time. Mixed in some other coverages that were interesting. The CBs whould be manned up on the WRs while the entire middle of the field seemed to be in zone. They called a cover 2 zone and flipped the CB and the safety to conceal it. Zone was used in the nickel at first and then switched to man. One thing the Rams did consistently was to run motion to tip off Bradford on the coverage and it was pretty easy to tell right away what was called.

I felt like DJ would move down in the box way to early which would allow Bradford to understand where to go with the ball. He would come down, the LB on that side would rush, and the slot receiver would run an out route for an easy completion away from DJ. All other coverage was pretty tight in man. Zone was a different story. There was some break down for sure. Often saw Fletcher or Hall talking to the guilty party after the play.

DJ would almost always come down in the box and offer run support or play man. His man was targeted often. He did a fair job in coverage making a very good play on a deep ball to the corner, but too often, he was out of position in zone. He missed one tackle in run support that ended up going for about 30 yards to the 5 yard line. He just flat missed and it was a crucial play.

When the Rams went bunch set, you would have three defensive players go into a zone and the receivers would work DJ in particular to get a receiver open like when they ran a TE across his face, he did a good job passing him on Fletcher, but couldn't get back to the WR who was trailing the initial route for a easy pitch and catch.

On multiple plays, I saw Perry Riley with blown coverage. In zone he would immediately go towards the RB in the flat, and a WR would curl into his zone. The RB would already have a corner covering him, so it ended up being A huge hole in the middle of the field, while the RB was doubled. That's where a good chunk of yardage came from.

Hate to say it, but Fletcher missed a few tackles that he usually makes. One on S. Jackson where he took it down the sideline for about 25 yards. He's got to make those. He did come up with a couple huge turnovers, so that's nice.

Overall, the problems I saw were with blown assignments by Riley, a few missed tackles by Fletcher, and lack of talent by DJ Gomes. Just one mans opinion, so don't beat me up on it, but I definitely think Meriweather coming back may help quite a bit. Riley will get better...he's still learning, and for every miss Fletcher makes, he gets a turnover,.

On to the Bengals


Don't feel bad man cuz I've seen Fletch miss a few tackles this year that he would usually make and one of the biggest knocks on Riley comin out of LSU was his pass coverage and zone coverage instincts so this doesn't suprise me. I think we all saw some of the trouble DJ has been having lately and you're right I think Merriweather will help as long as he can be disciplined in that zone which he has had trouble with in the past. Keep up the good work chief I'm hurtin in the cash department and can't really afford the coaches film so thank you!!!
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:25 pm

TimSkin wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:Rams Game

Defensive calls seemed to be mixed up quite a bit. They used a single high safety with man underneath quite a bit. They used cover two or cover three in the red zone most of the time. Mixed in some other coverages that were interesting. The CBs whould be manned up on the WRs while the entire middle of the field seemed to be in zone. They called a cover 2 zone and flipped the CB and the safety to conceal it. Zone was used in the nickel at first and then switched to man. One thing the Rams did consistently was to run motion to tip off Bradford on the coverage and it was pretty easy to tell right away what was called.

I felt like DJ would move down in the box way to early which would allow Bradford to understand where to go with the ball. He would come down, the LB on that side would rush, and the slot receiver would run an out route for an easy completion away from DJ. All other coverage was pretty tight in man. Zone was a different story. There was some break down for sure. Often saw Fletcher or Hall talking to the guilty party after the play.

DJ would almost always come down in the box and offer run support or play man. His man was targeted often. He did a fair job in coverage making a very good play on a deep ball to the corner, but too often, he was out of position in zone. He missed one tackle in run support that ended up going for about 30 yards to the 5 yard line. He just flat missed and it was a crucial play.

When the Rams went bunch set, you would have three defensive players go into a zone and the receivers would work DJ in particular to get a receiver open like when they ran a TE across his face, he did a good job passing him on Fletcher, but couldn't get back to the WR who was trailing the initial route for a easy pitch and catch.

On multiple plays, I saw Perry Riley with blown coverage. In zone he would immediately go towards the RB in the flat, and a WR would curl into his zone. The RB would already have a corner covering him, so it ended up being A huge hole in the middle of the field, while the RB was doubled. That's where a good chunk of yardage came from.

Hate to say it, but Fletcher missed a few tackles that he usually makes. One on S. Jackson where he took it down the sideline for about 25 yards. He's got to make those. He did come up with a couple huge turnovers, so that's nice.

Overall, the problems I saw were with blown assignments by Riley, a few missed tackles by Fletcher, and lack of talent by DJ Gomes. Just one mans opinion, so don't beat me up on it, but I definitely think Meriweather coming back may help quite a bit. Riley will get better...he's still learning, and for every miss Fletcher makes, he gets a turnover,.

On to the Bengals


Don't feel bad man cuz I've seen Fletch miss a few tackles this year that he would usually make and one of the biggest knocks on Riley comin out of LSU was his pass coverage and zone coverage instincts so this doesn't suprise me. I think we all saw some of the trouble DJ has been having lately and you're right I think Merriweather will help as long as he can be disciplined in that zone which he has had trouble with in the past. Keep up the good work chief I'm hurtin in the cash department and can't really afford the coaches film so thank you!!!


A big knock on Riley it was hence a 4th rounder. Always been a Riley fan, but I accept that Riley might not ever get past that learning curve of good pass coverage. Solution, stop copying the Steeler's D and copy the Niners D which simplifies the scheme.

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9009
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
TimSkin wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:Rams Game

Defensive calls seemed to be mixed up quite a bit. They used a single high safety with man underneath quite a bit. They used cover two or cover three in the red zone most of the time. Mixed in some other coverages that were interesting. The CBs whould be manned up on the WRs while the entire middle of the field seemed to be in zone. They called a cover 2 zone and flipped the CB and the safety to conceal it. Zone was used in the nickel at first and then switched to man. One thing the Rams did consistently was to run motion to tip off Bradford on the coverage and it was pretty easy to tell right away what was called.

I felt like DJ would move down in the box way to early which would allow Bradford to understand where to go with the ball. He would come down, the LB on that side would rush, and the slot receiver would run an out route for an easy completion away from DJ. All other coverage was pretty tight in man. Zone was a different story. There was some break down for sure. Often saw Fletcher or Hall talking to the guilty party after the play.

DJ would almost always come down in the box and offer run support or play man. His man was targeted often. He did a fair job in coverage making a very good play on a deep ball to the corner, but too often, he was out of position in zone. He missed one tackle in run support that ended up going for about 30 yards to the 5 yard line. He just flat missed and it was a crucial play.

When the Rams went bunch set, you would have three defensive players go into a zone and the receivers would work DJ in particular to get a receiver open like when they ran a TE across his face, he did a good job passing him on Fletcher, but couldn't get back to the WR who was trailing the initial route for a easy pitch and catch.

On multiple plays, I saw Perry Riley with blown coverage. In zone he would immediately go towards the RB in the flat, and a WR would curl into his zone. The RB would already have a corner covering him, so it ended up being A huge hole in the middle of the field, while the RB was doubled. That's where a good chunk of yardage came from.

Hate to say it, but Fletcher missed a few tackles that he usually makes. One on S. Jackson where he took it down the sideline for about 25 yards. He's got to make those. He did come up with a couple huge turnovers, so that's nice.

Overall, the problems I saw were with blown assignments by Riley, a few missed tackles by Fletcher, and lack of talent by DJ Gomes. Just one mans opinion, so don't beat me up on it, but I definitely think Meriweather coming back may help quite a bit. Riley will get better...he's still learning, and for every miss Fletcher makes, he gets a turnover,.

On to the Bengals


Don't feel bad man cuz I've seen Fletch miss a few tackles this year that he would usually make and one of the biggest knocks on Riley comin out of LSU was his pass coverage and zone coverage instincts so this doesn't suprise me. I think we all saw some of the trouble DJ has been having lately and you're right I think Merriweather will help as long as he can be disciplined in that zone which he has had trouble with in the past. Keep up the good work chief I'm hurtin in the cash department and can't really afford the coaches film so thank you!!!


A big knock on Riley it was hence a 4th rounder. Always been a Riley fan, but I accept that Riley might not ever get past that learning curve of good pass coverage. Solution, stop copying the Steeler's D and copy the Niners D which simplifies the scheme.
If you want to take the analisys one step further, purchase Pat Kirwans book, "Take Your Eye Off the Ball." It teaches you to look at formations, how to chart the games, etc.

With two kids under 2 1/2 and a Wife who works full time, I don't have the time or luxury to devote to football as much in years past but once the kids get a little older, I hope to get back to my old ways.

**ch44
Posts: 2366
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby chiefhog44 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:31 pm

frankcal20 wrote:[If you want to take the analisys one step further, purchase Pat Kirwans book, "Take Your Eye Off the Ball." It teaches you to look at formations, how to chart the games, etc.

With two kids under 2 1/2 and a Wife who works full time, I don't have the time or luxury to devote to football as much in years past but once the kids get a little older, I hope to get back to my old ways.


Great book. Did you get the CD? Mine didn't include it. I've got to call him about it
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football