Is it a must win this week?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Is it a must win this week?

Postby jmooney » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:28 pm

At first my immediate reaction to this question would be YES! We absolutely cannot afford to go 1-3 considering our schedule the rest of the way.

Then I thought

Was this year really about the playoffs? our record?

It would be nice to not be considered "out of it" before a quarter of the season is gone , I get that.

Heres the thing though, if were going to win . It needs to be done in dominating fashion. Not some crazy shootout with the TAMPA BAY BUCS!

Where RGIII has to go to heroics, running option football , in the closing seconds to win. A game where he's taken big hit after big hit and our Defense has made the bucs offense look like the second coming of the greatest show on turf.

Theres a win scenario and a loss scenario I'm prepared to accept. But I want to see the problems being corrected.

Hog

Re: Is it a must win this week?

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:56 am

jmooney wrote:At first my immediate reaction to this question would be YES! We absolutely cannot afford to go 1-3 considering our schedule the rest of the way.

Then I thought

Was this year really about the playoffs? our record?

It would be nice to not be considered "out of it" before a quarter of the season is gone , I get that.

Heres the thing though, if were going to win . It needs to be done in dominating fashion. Not some crazy shootout with the TAMPA BAY BUCS!

Where RGIII has to go to heroics, running option football , in the closing seconds to win. A game where he's taken big hit after big hit and our Defense has made the bucs offense look like the second coming of the greatest show on turf.

Theres a win scenario and a loss scenario I'm prepared to accept. But I want to see the problems being corrected.

Hit the nail on the head right there.

I want my confidence in the coaches restored, need to see much improved play in the secondary.

Hope they continue giving Crawford reps, be great to see what Meriweather can add also. But its more about the systems they use I think.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby the poster » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:10 am

jmooney wrote:At first my immediate reaction to this question would be YES! We absolutely cannot afford to go 1-3 considering our schedule the rest of the way.

wait a minute, I don't understand. from march through august, I had the same few main points to make:

1. the redskins trade for rg3 was as much to do with selling tickets (Snyder) as it was football and it showed the desperation of a franchise to use that many high draft picks for one person.

2. the defense was severely overrated.

3. rg3 is skinny and will not play many full NFL seasons (just like Vick).

4. redskin fans are the most notorious in the NFL for talking trash without EVER having their team back it up. their fans are regarded by other teams fans' as comical, akin to little barking dogs.

5. they are nothing but a perpetual last place team that the cowboys, eagles, and giants don't even concern themselves with. the redskins barely even matter in the NFL anymore, like the browns or the dolphins,

6. with this trade, mike shanahan (in year 3) needs to start winning now. he doesn't get a year off again.

all of these points were argued incorrectly by fans here. as they employed a lot of #4.

and now, as usual, I'm 100% right, and they're all wrong. but I don't give myself credit for understanding what the redskins are. frankly, that's EASY to do. they are the same sub par, doesn't matter-team, as they always are. it's easy to understand them. their overall success is very easy to predict year in and year out. but that comes primarily from not having any emotion in it and just seeing it logically. the same people whp have argued with me are quick to realize that hey, some random team that they have no emotion for like the browns or the dolphins suck. but they can't do that with their own team so easily because of their b&g glasses. that's where I come in and add the value here. I give the REAL story, and once again, check out the standings before you reply.

Then I thought Was this year really about the playoffs? our record?

any coaching staff that's in its third year and previously won 6 and 5 games better at least be showing that the other areas of its team is at the point it needs to be. so YOU tell me, are they?

is the defense?
is the offensive line?
is the play calling, both offense and defense?
is Jim haslett?
is the pass rush or the coverage?

let me be clear....this team has more holes in it, both with it's roster and in it's philosophy/direction than the avg. fan even realizes. you might not realize it, but to this point, I'm being NICE. I'm holding BACK a lot of what I really think about the direction of this team. I'll just say it like this.....shanahan better not be 6-10 AGAIN because it's been a LONG time since he's been relevant as a coach. long time. keep running the option by the way.

wait....you say that like the redskins are some sort of special team. what do u think buc. fans are saying about the redskins?? since when do the redskins dominate anyone?? remember this, the redskins are EVERYBODY'S game on their schedule that they consider a win. even if they wind up losing to Washington, they go into the game thinking it's a win. remember what your team is. a doormat for the cowboys and company until proven, CONSISTENTLY, otherwise.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:49 am

It's not a must-win. There is no such thing as a must-win 3 games into a season.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby jmooney » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:01 am

Is was a topic I heard on several radio shows yesterday.

I was surprised at the percentage of callers and hosts that deemed it a must win.

I wanted to put it out here for you guys to discuss. If anyone knows how to turn it into a poll, I'd be intrested to see the percentages here.

From what I was hearing on the radio yesterday, it was around 90% "must win"

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:20 am

Must win for what? We're not a playoff team this year. We're playing for the future. Wins do matter, but there's no must win game this year.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:30 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:We're not a playoff team this year.

Boo, sir! Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :evil:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piggie

Postby fetus » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

the poster wrote:

wait a minute, I don't understand. from march through august, I had the same few main points to make:

1. the redskins trade for rg3 was as much to do with selling tickets (Snyder) as it was football and it showed the desperation of a franchise to use that many high draft picks for one person.

2. the defense was severely overrated.

3. rg3 is skinny and will not play many full NFL seasons (just like Vick).

4. redskin fans are the most notorious in the NFL for talking trash without EVER having their team back it up. their fans are regarded by other teams fans' as comical, akin to little barking dogs.

5. they are nothing but a perpetual last place team that the cowboys, eagles, and giants don't even concern themselves with. the redskins barely even matter in the NFL anymore, like the browns or the dolphins,

6. with this trade, mike shanahan (in year 3) needs to start winning now. he doesn't get a year off again.

all of these points were argued incorrectly by fans here. as they employed a lot of #4.

and now, as usual, I'm 100% right, and they're all wrong. but I don't give myself credit for understanding what the redskins are. frankly, that's EASY to do. they are the same sub par, doesn't matter-team, as they always are. it's easy to understand them. their overall success is very easy to predict year in and year out. but that comes primarily from not having any emotion in it and just seeing it logically. the same people whp have argued with me are quick to realize that hey, some random team that they have no emotion for like the browns or the dolphins suck. but they can't do that with their own team so easily because of their b&g glasses. that's where I come in and add the value here. I give the REAL story, and once again, check out the standings before you reply.

Then I thought Was this year really about the playoffs? our record?

any coaching staff that's in its third year and previously won 6 and 5 games better at least be showing that the other areas of its team is at the point it needs to be. so YOU tell me, are they?

is the defense?
is the offensive line?
is the play calling, both offense and defense?
is Jim haslett?
is the pass rush or the coverage?

let me be clear....this team has more holes in it, both with it's roster and in it's philosophy/direction than the avg. fan even realizes. you might not realize it, but to this point, I'm being NICE. I'm holding BACK a lot of what I really think about the direction of this team. I'll just say it like this.....shanahan better not be 6-10 AGAIN because it's been a LONG time since he's been relevant as a coach. long time. keep running the option by the way.

wait....you say that like the redskins are some sort of special team. what do u think buc. fans are saying about the redskins?? since when do the redskins dominate anyone?? remember this, the redskins are EVERYBODY'S game on their schedule that they consider a win. even if they wind up losing to Washington, they go into the game thinking it's a win. remember what your team is. a doormat for the cowboys and company until proven, CONSISTENTLY, otherwise.

So is there anyway that you can block out certain peoples posts on this site of do I just have to scroll it???
RGIII and the terrible D

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:06 am

Let's imagine for a moment we live in an alternate universe where we won all three of the games so far: would you want this win any less? Would you be content to take a loss?

What I'm saying is that it's a "must win" only inasmuch as every game is.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:10 am

fetus wrote:So is there anyway that you can block out certain peoples posts on this site of do I just have to scroll it???

Scroll to the troll.
Scroll to the troll.
SCROLL TO THE TROLL!

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:12 am

cvillehog wrote:What I'm saying is that it's a "must win" only inasmuch as every game is.

Oh really? Is it a must win if you are 14-1 and have already clinched home field advantage?

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:14 am

I'm totally cool with the rookie QB, show some patience approach to this year and always have been. If we exceed expectations, great. If not, no big surprise really.

The two things I would like to see the Skins do this year are 1) win more than the 2-14 record ESPN predicted for them this year. That one really bugged me. And 2) Finish with a better record than last year.

I think if the goal is to win more games than you did last year, this Tampa game is pretty near a must win. The rest of the schedule isn't getting any easier!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

piggie

Postby Redskinsfansince81 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:01 am

In response to "#5" on the poster's list:

the Redskins beat the Giants twice last year

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:39 am

fetus wrote:So is there anyway that you can block out certain peoples posts on this site of do I just have to scroll it???

Put your eyes in scroll mode. See the name and just blur. It's actually pretty easy after you read a few of his posts. They all say blah blah, I hate the Redskins, blah blah.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:01 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote: It's actually pretty easy after you read a few of his posts.

Not only is it easy, it's quite liberating and fun. You see the user name and just scroll on past.

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football