Beating the cowpies....

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby HarleyHog » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:48 am

Fact is, the D is not awful, it is not good. It has been adequate twice, it has been inadequate twice. The O is quite good and getting better. All 4 games have been close.We have a solid group on the front side, the secondary is most of the issue. In fairness, a lot of the time the coverage has been good, but the throw was better, especially vs the Saints We are young, but growing. Fortunately, all three Division opponents look kinda sketchy so far. We need to stay in the mix. We have seen a little bit of good defensive play from time to time. I hope we will see some consistency develop, and I hope that we will see it soon. Until then, RGIII will have to carry us I guess.
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

Hog

Postby grampi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:26 am

Hooligan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:No, it really isn't. We're 10th in the NFL and 6th in the NFC in rushing defense. We're #3 in the NFL in passes defensed, and tied with three other teams for 9th in INTs. We give up a lot of points and yardage for a couple of reasons. First, we stop the run very well and it forces teams to pass a lot. We get ahead in games early, and the other teams are forced to pass to catch up. I'm not saying our passing defense is great, or even better than average, but you have to consider the number of throws our opponents are making in that appraisal.

Lets look closer...

Deadskins wrote:We give up a lot of points and yardage for a couple of reasons.

Just a little more...

Deadskins wrote:We give up a lot of points and yardage

If a defense gives up a lot of points and yardage, they suck. Whether it's through the air or on the ground, yards and points are bad. ESPECIALLY if, as you say, we're up early and the opponent is forced to pass. So we can't defend the pass when we KNOW they're going to be pass-heavy? Optimism is great, but lets not try to polish a turd here.

Amen!

Hog

Postby grampi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:30 am

HarleyHog wrote:Fact is, the D is not awful, it is not good. It has been adequate twice, it has been inadequate twice. The O is quite good and getting better. All 4 games have been close.We have a solid group on the front side, the secondary is most of the issue. In fairness, a lot of the time the coverage has been good, but the throw was better, especially vs the Saints We are young, but growing. Fortunately, all three Division opponents look kinda sketchy so far. We need to stay in the mix. We have seen a little bit of good defensive play from time to time. I hope we will see some consistency develop, and I hope that we will see it soon. Until then, RGIII will have to carry us I guess.

Please tell me in which 2 games our D has been adequate. The Skins have won 2 games in spite of their D....

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 am

grampi wrote:
HarleyHog wrote:Fact is, the D is not awful, it is not good. It has been adequate twice, it has been inadequate twice. The O is quite good and getting better. All 4 games have been close.We have a solid group on the front side, the secondary is most of the issue. In fairness, a lot of the time the coverage has been good, but the throw was better, especially vs the Saints We are young, but growing. Fortunately, all three Division opponents look kinda sketchy so far. We need to stay in the mix. We have seen a little bit of good defensive play from time to time. I hope we will see some consistency develop, and I hope that we will see it soon. Until then, RGIII will have to carry us I guess.

Please tell me in which 2 games our D has been adequate. The Skins have won 2 games in spite of their D....

All four games really. The saints scored off a punt block. The D scored on the first play of the Rams game, and put the kibosh on Stephen Jackson. They held the Law Firm under 40 yards, and held the Buccs to 22 points. You don't have to see the negative in everything, grumpi.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby grampi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:17 am

Deadskins wrote:
grampi wrote:

All four games really. The saints scored off a punt block. The D scored on the first play of the Rams game, and put the kibosh on Stephen Jackson. They held the Law Firm under 40 yards, and held the Buccs to 22 points. You don't have to see the negative in everything, grumpi.

What I see is reality...if this team had the D they had from just a couple of seasons ago, coupled with this RGIII led O, we'd be 4-0 right now and you can't deny that....

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:31 am

When our defense presses, it can be pretty good. When the corners play bump and run on th outside and give the pass rush time to develop.

Where we fail is when we have a lead and start playing more conservative soft-zone coverage with our corners lined up 10-yards off the receivers.

You see it in all four games. Defense holds 'em down, we jump out to a double digit lead and the D lets up. You can say it's offensive adjustment on the part of our opponents (and some of that is legit), you can say it's desperation as they try to catch up (and some of that is true) but what I've seen is we take the boot off their throat and allow them right back into the game going into a prevent-style defense.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:42 am

Bob 0119 wrote:When our defense presses, it can be pretty good. When the corners play bump and run on th outside and give the pass rush time to develop.

Where we fail is when we have a lead and start playing more conservative soft-zone coverage with our corners lined up 10-yards off the receivers.

You see it in all four games. Defense holds 'em down, we jump out to a double digit lead and the D lets up. You can say it's offensive adjustment on the part of our opponents (and some of that is legit), you can say it's desperation as they try to catch up (and some of that is true) but what I've seen is we take the boot off their throat and allow them right back into the game going into a prevent-style defense.

Exactly, but that doesn't mean the D is pathetic, like some are claiming.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:07 am

The pass def is a littile off from last year but teams are having to try harder so that has a lot to with it I think

2011 PASS DEF APG 32 YPA 7 YPG 224

2012 PASS DEF APG 37 YPA 8.5 YPG 331.5

The run def is no better than it was last year giving up 4.3 YPA.

2011 RUN DEF 27 APG 116 YPG

2012 RUN DEF 21 APG 90.3 YPG

Hog

Postby ACW » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Eagles fans suck, but Mara has his team at the top of my ****list.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football