Tyler Polumbus as our future RT??

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Tyler Polumbus as our future RT??

Postby TimSkin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Hey guys I was just wondering what you're overall opinion is of Polumbus this year so far??? I watch skins on firstrow which can be a lil fuzzy at times and you can't go back and watch the play over to see where breakdowns were or to see who made a key play that you might not notice in real live time. I haven't heard much said about Tyler which is usually a good thing when it comes to the OL. I can only remember him giving up one sack(off the top of my head) and that was against the Bengals and he did get beat by a speed rush move but the pocket collapsed so fast that RG3 couldn't step up and got hit right away. He seems to be pretty good in the ZBS in the run game too being 6'8" but "only" 300 lbs.

Anyways do you guys think Shanny found a diamond in the rough here? Polumbus actually came in the league thanks to Shanny with the Broncos and Lichensteiger back in 08 but as an UDFA. He's only 27 so at this pace do you think he has filled a huge hole that we thought would be a problem at the beginning of the year and is our RT of the future??? This will allow us to focus more on the secondary and depth on the OL in the offseason so let me know what y'all think!!!
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog

Postby jmooney » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:16 pm

He's been seviceable so far. Surpassed my expectations really. The gameplan has helped. Still concerned what he will do once he's faced with a guy that can really bring it from that side. He has played well enough that D-backs can be our primary concern in the draft next year (so far)

He's ok for now but, I'd hope to have much better as "the future".

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Seems like he really struggles with top DE on the rush and holds his own vs average ones. Very good at zone blocking IMO.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:54 pm

I think TP has been sub par the first three games but ws much better last week. I think I would feel good with him as our swing backup OT and a stud RT to replace him!

The three highest prioriies in the off season that i can see are CB (Hall willbe gone), Safety, and RT. If anyone argued a different order of these three, then I would be OK.

A close number four need is kicker, but our problem at kicker is MS induced and could be corrected with one or two phone calls to any number of kicker that are better than Cundiff. I can understand not addressing an area of need like OT or CB (and still not like it), but that is a lot different than cutting two kickers that ar ebetter than the one you brought in!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:50 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:I think TP has been sub par the first three games but ws much better last week. I think I would feel good with him as our swing backup OT and a stud RT to replace him!(/quote]

Hopefully he'll continue to improve and the stud RT search won't be needed until the off-season. He would be the best swing tackle on the roster right now... unfortunately he's starting

skinsfan#33 wrote:The three highest prioriies in the off season that i can see are CB (Hall willbe gone), Safety, and RT. If anyone argued a different order of these three, then I would be OK.

I would argue the reverse... Hall will be gone one way or the other. My preference is still a pay cut and switch to Safety for Hall, which would fix the priority combined with Merriweather actually getting on the field and earns his contract. That leaves the number one priority has protecting RGIII

skinsfan#33 wrote:A close number four need is kicker, but our problem at kicker is MS induced and could be corrected with one or two phone calls to any number of kicker that are better than Cundiff. I can understand not addressing an area of need like OT or CB (and still not like it), but that is a lot different than cutting two kickers that ar ebetter than the one you brought in!

This was just weird, they bring in Rackers to compete with Gano, mainly because of GG's lack of confidence (his kick offs are just as long as Condiff's), he out kicked Rackers in camp but never made a real attempt during the pre-season. They gave him the job over Rackers and then had a "the Danny" moment when Condiff was cut. Not sure kicker won't be resolved prior to the end of this season.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:56 pm

jmooney wrote:He's been seviceable so far. Surpassed my expectations really. The gameplan has helped. Still concerned what he will do once he's faced with a guy that can really bring it from that side. He has played well enough that D-backs can be our primary concern in the draft next year (so far)

He's ok for now but, I'd hope to have much better as "the future".

This is extremely close to what I would put my answer if I were answering the thread. A lot of RG3's passes have gotten out of his hands quickly especially in the Saints game.

I'm also very intrigued to see how he will perform against the teams in our division cuz the NFC East has without a doubt the best pass rushing teams as a division in the NFL. Eagles got Cole and Babin, Giants got 4 guys that can get to the QB, Cowgirls obviously got Ware and we know who we got(when healthy)

TP is very solid for who he is a backup tackle that stepped up to do his job since Brown's hips are made of pringles. Hopefully he will be serviceable(and hopefully improve) enough so we can focus on the secondary and other holes because of our cap hit last year(other wise I would say upgrade) until RT becomes a much more glaring need. Maybe draft a late rounder, bring in a cheap FA to compete, or both in the offseason for some competition which never hurts also.
Last edited by TimSkin on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:06 pm

1niksder wrote: I would argue the reverse... Hall will be gone one way or the other. My preference is still a pay cut and switch to Safety for Hall, which would fix the priority combined with Merriweather actually getting on the field and earns his contract. That leaves the number one priority has protecting RGIII

I really like this idea 1niksder especially if we can get Hall to redo that contract like you say. This would kill two birds with one stone by taking away the need to draft a safety and then we could draft Oline with our 2nd rounder which would increase the depth on the oline immensely. We would still need to address the CB position but I think we could have enough dough to bring in a solid starter there. The more depth we got at the ket positions the better.
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:18 pm

I think Polumbus gets replaced at RT this offseason. We need more talent and dominance on the offensive line, and right now he is probably our weakest starter, so I'd actually start with that position. But as a backup Polumbus would solidify a spot on the team where we are currently hurting: OL depth.

When a player is 27, especially in a nonspecialized position, it's very (and increasingly) unlikely that he's going to surge to a new level of skill. Most people have pretty much shown you what you're going to get with them, and I think Polumbus is no exception.

But there is nothing wrong with what he's shown, just like there is nothing wrong with Reed Doughty, who has a certain skill level, works hard, etc. The trick is to make sure they are employed where they can best serve the team — in this case, as a dependable RT that you aren't scared to see injected into a game. But asking anything more out of him, as we are currently doing, is not optimal.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:30 pm

TimSkin wrote:
1niksder wrote: I would argue the reverse... Hall will be gone one way or the other. My preference is still a pay cut and switch to Safety for Hall, which would fix the priority combined with Merriweather actually getting on the field and earns his contract. That leaves the number one priority has protecting RGIII

I really like this idea 1niksder especially if we can get Hall to redo that contract like you say. This would kill two birds with one stone by taking away the need to draft a safety and then we could draft Oline with our 2nd rounder which would increase the depth on the oline immensely. We would still need to address the CB position but I think we could have enough dough to bring in a solid starter there. The more depth we got at the ket positions the better.

I love the idea of moving Hall to Safety. I think he would thrive there. He's more of a ball hawk anyway who seems to do his best work in a zone where he can anticipate throws. I think he would be good at playing centerfield back there. He would struggle to cover TE tho if he had to come up to the line. As for Polumbus. He's been OK from what I've watched, but we definitely need an upgrade. If you've noticed, we get most of our big runs off the left side behind big Trent. I can't remember us getting any kind of movement off the right side of the line on most running plays.

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Watch for Compton coming on next year. He'll have a full season to work on technique and an offseason to continue to gain strength. He's athletic enough that he can make a big jump in ability next year.

Postby yupchagee » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Anybody know how/if Brown is rehabbing?
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:40 am

yupchagee wrote:Anybody know how/if Brown is rehabbing?

ROTFALMAO ROTFALMAO ROTFALMAO

If we put George Starke out there now he'd be more mobile than Jammel will ever be again!
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:04 am

yupchagee wrote:Anybody know how/if Brown is rehabbing?

The fact that the team hasn't cut ties with him and he is still on the PuP list would tell me the team has hope he can contribute. Or at least they hold out hope that he can.

I think cutting him would have been a bigger benefit do to our cap restrictions, but the team obvioisly didn't.

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:13 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I think Polumbus gets replaced at RT this offseason

I hope so, but I'm not so sure. We haven't wanted to put big bucks on the right side, and a lot of other teams don't either.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:35 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I think Polumbus gets replaced at RT this offseason

I hope so, but I'm not so sure. We haven't wanted to put big bucks on the right side, and a lot of other teams don't either.

I don't think we need to spend big bucks, but spending more than veterans minimum is wise. Eric Winston signed with the Chiefs for a very reasonable salary. I think less than what we're paying J Brown.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football