Tyler Polumbus as our future RT??

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:06 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I think Polumbus gets replaced at RT this offseason

I hope so, but I'm not so sure. We haven't wanted to put big bucks on the right side, and a lot of other teams don't either.

I'm actually thinking draft pick there. We still have a 2nd, right?
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:43 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I hope so, but I'm not so sure. We haven't wanted to put big bucks on the right side, and a lot of other teams don't either.

If that worked out, then it would be great. It's hard to count on a certain position being worth a particular pick, but it could be a good spot to get a decent RT.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:37 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

If that worked out, then it would be great. It's hard to count on a certain position being worth a particular pick, but it could be a good spot to get a decent RT.

There also has to be a player at that position valued high enough when we pick. That's a lot of convergence of ifs.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Deadskins wrote:There also has to be a player at that position valued high enough when we pick. That's a lot of convergence of ifs.

It doesn't seem like much of a stretch at all to me. Looking at recent drafts, there have been more than a few OTs (especially right tackles) taken in the first half of the second round, several of whom are starters — though I admit knowing nothing about how good they are.

I advocate not drafting solely for position, but I think we are likely to be in a place where we can grab an OL starter with our highest pick.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:57 pm

Yeah, but what I meant was that I think the OT would have to be #1 left on our draft board when our pick in the second round came along. BTW, I notice you have us picking in the first half of the 2nd (Booooooo :evil:)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Deadskins wrote:Yeah, but what I meant was that I think the OT would have to be #1 left on our draft board when our pick in the second round came along.

That's only a problem if our draft strategy is 100% to pick the best player available. Otherwise as long as one of the RTs ranks among the top names on the list — and I have to believe we'll be giving those prospects extra scrutinty — then we could bite.

As for a pure best player available strategy, I think there are problems with that way of doing things, and in practice no coach follows it because teams almost always select a player that happens to fill a need (and that can't just be coincidence).

BTW, I notice you have us picking in the first half of the 2nd (Booooooo :evil:)

Well if the season ended today . . . :lol:

I guess one never knows.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:As for a pure best player available strategy, I think there are problems with that way of doing things, and in practice no coach follows it because teams almost always select a player that happens to fill a need (and that can't just be coincidence).

Don't know that I agree with that. That's how we wound up with Cousins in the first place. :wink:

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:16 pm

yupchagee wrote:Anybody know how/if Brown is rehabbing?

Yoga, Pilates, Transcendental Meditation ... :hmm:

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Deadskins wrote:Yeah, but what I meant was that I think the OT would have to be #1 left on our draft board when our pick in the second round came along. BTW, I notice you have us picking in the first half of the 2nd (Booooooo :evil:)

And, if the #One OT on our board at that time in the 2nd round is rated as a bottom fourth round pick?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:48 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Yeah, but what I meant was that I think the OT would have to be #1 left on our draft board when our pick in the second round came along. BTW, I notice you have us picking in the first half of the 2nd (Booooooo :evil:)

And, if the #One OT on our board at that time in the 2nd round is rated as a bottom fourth round pick?

Then no OT for you. :lol:

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:55 am

I think you have to go into the draft with RT and CB position improved via FA. You can't sey yourself up for having to use a 2nd on a player that you really don't value that high.
Worse you don't end up addressing it in either the 2nd, 3rd, our FA.
The team has to many positions of need to not take the BPA in the draft. That is why you have to fill them before the draft. That is also why I douglas like to see the draft happen before FA, but that isn't going to change any time soon.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:12 am

Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

Then no OT for you. :lol:
Correct... the importance of OT, and our clear need for one, probably means that we will be doing something to generate a pick that is adequate to get a quality starter. With a commodity as valuable as Bob clearly is, they will work to reduce the hits he takes when operating in or near the pocket. That will be their top priority, followed by DB help.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football