Skins - Falcons postgame discussion thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:27 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:
TeeterSalad wrote:I was reviewing the play that RG3 got hurt, seems like if he stayed in the pocket for just another second Garcon was open in the endzone. He'll surely learn from this.

Garcon and co. dropped too many balls today, killing drives. We've got to get a new kicker...the misses demoralize. One thing I've noticed that others might argue with. Our running game seems to weaken as the game progresses, probably because our OL tires and our back ups aren't up to their jobs. By game's end, we usually have to rely on RG3. It's not just a matter of failure to stick with what's working. At the start of games I'm saying run, run, run. By the end I'm cursing every time we try it. So far this season, Garcon has been a disappointment.
I won't argue... However, Atlanta did not ever become effective at stopping the run... Morris only ran 18 times. Grant ran only once. Clearly, we did NOT run enough.

In general, so far this year, early in games, we can pound the left side very effectively... Williams is a monster in the rush attack... but runs to the right gain much less... To stay effective, you have to be able to run to both sides... You are an old lineman... you know this. You have to be able to run well to both sides... or the opponent will simply adjust some support over to the side that is working, to shut it down, as well. Frankly, however... I don't believe that was the case today. Atlanta never shut Morris down... Kyle did.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Re: Redskins offense need to act like they are behind 14 poi

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Countertrey wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:Because as long as Jim Hasbeen is here we will lose thanks to him. He sucks Panthers 8 sacks Redskins NONE......

No defense will hold up when on the field for 81 plays. that's EIGHTY ONE. Atlanta TOP: 37.01

Haslett's game plan was perfect for Atlanta. It required the offense to hold up it's side of the deal, and win the TOP. It could have... it did not...

This loss falls squarely on the shoulders of Kyle Shanahan. When you have a running back ripping off runs at a nearly 10 ypc clip, you MAKE THE OTHER TEAM STOP IT. You don't get cute.

+1

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Good game plan by Haz for the defense. The defense had very little pass rush, but the secondary held its own. This seems like the formula for success for this defense. Less blitzing and more guys back in coverage.
They seemed to give Matt Ryan fits.

Now watch Haz go back to his old ways against the Vikes - blitzing out of control.

I place the "play down to the level of the comp" and "play up to the level of the comp" phenomenum squarely on the coaches.

The players played just as hard against the Rams, Bengals, Bucs as they did against the Saints and the Falcons.

Today's defensive game plan would have worked against the Bengals and the Rams. With the support of the Offense in those games, victory was assured.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:23 pm

In three games the Redskin D has scored our first TD early in the game.

Rams, Bengals and now the Falcons. We lost all three.
We held the edge in the turnover battle and lost all three.

Go figure!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:21 am

Offense:

- No question, RGIII is the engine.
- Morris will have an +1000 season this year, no problem.
- Too many drops and fluky catches by our receivers, including F. Davis.
- The rush is getting to our QB from the right side. We need help at OL.
- Kirk is good but he is no RGIII.
- RGIII should learn not to gamble like that. I know that he was trying to slide and the hit was probably a roughing penalty not called but man, please do not gamble with your head.

Defense:

- Kerrigan! what can I say? Played like a pro-bowler and he provided whatever rush we had. Twice INTs for TD in his career.
- Cofield played his best game this year imo.
- Josh Wilson turned his WORST performance after catches by opposing receivers. He grabbed nothing but air in four or five receptions made in front of him. If they burn him, at least he should make the tackle. Somebody else had to bail him out after he ended on the ground watching opposing receivers elude his "tackle".
- I will say it for the first time in my life: father time is catching up with London Fletcher. Great player and leader just not playing like he did last year or years before.
- Garcon was rusty.

Overall:

Not impressed with our defense game plan. I know that we had "better" coverage but we had it at the expense of real consistent pressure on Ryan who had enough time to pick us apart.

It has been said before in this thread and elsewhere: Why not run until they can stop us? Why not control the clock and the pace of the game on offense?

These Redskins are a joy to watch, win or lose. This is not our year but we will make it difficult to anybody who wants to win against us.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:50 am

Countertrey wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:Because as long as Jim Hasbeen is here we will lose thanks to him. He sucks Panthers 8 sacks Redskins NONE......

No defense will hold up when on the field for 81 plays. that's EIGHTY ONE. Atlanta TOP: 37.01

Haslett's game plan was perfect for Atlanta. It required the offense to hold up it's side of the deal, and win the TOP. It could have... it did not...

This loss falls squarely on the shoulders of Kyle Shanahan. When you have a running back ripping off runs at a nearly 10 ypc clip, you MAKE THE OTHER TEAM STOP IT. You don't get cute.

You keep saying "nearly 10 ypc clip." At one point he had 87 yards on 8 carries. That's better than 10 yards a clip. This totally pissed me off. What does Kyle not understand about having a great running day means you win the game? It's coaching 101. :evil:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:51 am

I'm a Haz hate, I never wanted him hired, but the game plan yesterday was excellent. You could tell the Falcons had prepared for our normal blitzkrieg frenzy. If our offense had played like it had in the past we would have won easily.

The only negative I can say about the defensive game plan is Haz could have tossed in a blitz invert in a while, but the defense did their part yesterday!

The offensive game plan was terrible. You have a running game that is working, keep feeding AM the ball. Atlanta never did stop that pitch left play. I think they ran it about 3 or 4 times and the least number of yards it gained was 9!
What happen to the option? I think they ran it twice and RG3 looked like he had no intention of keeping the ball on either. One play a third an one (i think) they ran it and Griffin would have easily picked up the first and a lot more if he had kept it.

The option and they that of Robert running ods what has made this offense go. They have to keep running it. Im but dating a lot, but it ness to be used at least once a 1/4 if not once a drive.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:23 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I'm a Haz hate, I never wanted him hired, but the game plan yesterday was excellent. You could tell the Falcons had prepared for our normal blitzkrieg frenzy. If our offense had played like it had in the past we would have won easily.

I will give you your due here. You have come out from the start of the Shanny regime that Haz is not the guy. I am not joining you as a hater, but I am joining you with the points that you made.

I do agree with you that the game plan was excellent. We held there potent offense to 24 points with one offense tied behind our backs.

The only negative I can say about the defensive game plan is Haz could have tossed in a blitz invert in a while, but the defense did their part yesterday!

This is the problem I have with Haz. He claims that the "Steeler" 3-4 is a D that QBs never know where the Blitz is coming from. The blitz when it rarely came was always easily picked up.

The offensive game plan was terrible. You have a running game that is working, keep feeding AM the ball. Atlanta never did stop that pitch left play. I think they ran it about 3 or 4 times and the least number of yards it gained was 9!
What happen to the option? I think they ran it twice and RG3 looked like he had no intention of keeping the ball on either. One play a third an one (i think) they ran it and Griffin would have easily picked up the first and a lot more if he had kept it.

The option and they that of Robert running ods what has made this offense go. They have to keep running it. Im but dating a lot, but it ness to be used at least once a 1/4 if not once a drive.

Agree with you about the offense.

[/quote]

piggie

Postby oj » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:39 am

I liked most of the defensive play - except for the fact that nobody got pressure on the QB. You consistantly give that guy 3-4 seconds and that opens thier playbook up to all options. It was a testiment of our pass coverage that Atlanta didn't score every time they touched the ball.
I thought the offense boring, but it was the right one for that game. Hand the ball to Alfred and let him pound his way downfield - he even made a couple runs up the middle. And running up the middle is what we need to do, running to the left wears our guys out - they have to do 30yd windsprints. Looks good on tv, but we don't have the spare guys to rotate in to keep everybody fresh.
Cundif has to go, he killed the momentum. They should be cleaning his locker out as we speak and send his stuff to him UPS, COD - he has no business walking the same corridors as the team players.
RG has no business running the ball, he has to get that mentality out of his head. He can't do it all. And he is not playing on a college campus - the guys on the other side of the line are being paid to rip his head off and they are very capable of doing exactly that. Robert has to learn to use his smarts and other players to get the job done or he just won't make it.
It was a hard fought game.
Molon Labe

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:43 am

Countertrey wrote:

I totally agree, the offensive play calling was horrible. Wouldn't it be nice if Haslett and Kyle could be good one week at the same time?
Last edited by KazooSkinsFan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:46 am

RayNAustin wrote:Lookie here .... we can theorize and analyze till hell freezes over about this thing or that thing ... but the bottom line still rests with the HC.

Agreed, and from that standard Mike has done a great job. We are younger, drafting well. We have a franchise QB and for the first time in years our QB is throwing the ball to more than two guys. Our O-line is improving. And our D showed yesterday rumors of their demise have been greatly exaggerated even with two of our best guys out.

The bottom line for the is the HC, hats off Mike. Our future is rosier then it has been in years. :up:
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:51 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:The offensive game plan was terrible. You have a running game that is working, keep feeding AM the ball. Atlanta never did stop that pitch left play. I think they ran it about 3 or 4 times and the least number of yards it gained was 9!

The other thing on the running game was with all the passes, we needed to send an occasional throw down field to keep the D honest. We got repeatedly poor field position and their plan was to keep everything in front of them and make us get 7 first downs to score, which every time at some point we wouldn't get the 10 in 3 and they'd get the ball back. We did the same to them, but they have a more experienced QB and a great receiving corps and eventually they wore out our D.

Also, we did run it more then people are giving credit. People are saying 19, but as a percentage of the number of plays we ran it's more then it seemed. We didn't mix it up enough, we'd get some first downs then stall.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:19 am

I like the place this franchise is at and the progress we have made

This team is fun to watch but ......

We have some big problems with offense, defense and special teams - Mike has got to do a better job with Kyle, Jim and Danny
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

Hog

Postby grampi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:51 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:The only negative I can say about the defensive game plan is Haz could have tossed in a blitz invert in a while, but the defense did their part yesterday!

I'd say the only complaint I had with the D was that they allowed Atlanta to convert on way too many 3rd a longs....you get a team in a 3rd and long situation you've got to force a punt, it's as simple as that....when you don't that leads to a loss....especially when the offense isn't producing...

Hog

Postby grampi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:59 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:The offensive game plan was terrible. You have a running game that is working, keep feeding AM the ball. Atlanta never did stop that pitch left play. I think they ran it about 3 or 4 times and the least number of yards it gained was 9!

The other thing on the running game was with all the passes, we needed to send an occasional throw down field to keep the D honest. We got repeatedly poor field position and their plan was to keep everything in front of them and make us get 7 first downs to score, which every time at some point we wouldn't get the 10 in 3 and they'd get the ball back. We did the same to them, but they have a more experienced QB and a great receiving corps and eventually they wore out our D.

Also, we did run it more then people are giving credit. People are saying 19, but as a percentage of the number of plays we ran it's more then it seemed. We didn't mix it up enough, we'd get some first downs then stall.

The NFL is a pssing league now...meaning the key to success is throwing the ball to set up the running game...there aren't many teams that can do the opposite (maybe the 49ers can do it)....the way to win consistantly in today's NFL is pass, pass, pass until you get a lead, then wear down the defense and run the clock with a running game...the Skins aren't doing this and it's a big part of the reason they're 2-3....

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football