Redskins to bring in new kickers

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:55 am

Shanahan Not Sure What to Do with Cundif

Shanny is so in love with those deep KOs, he can't seem to part with Cundif.

Two kickers on the roster coming up? He keeps cundif. Doesn't have to go back to Gano and can try somebody who can kick FGs but maybe hasn't made it because of his lack of KO power.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Shanahan Not Sure What to Do with Cundif

Shanny is so in love with those deep KOs, he can't seem to part with Cundif.

Two kickers on the roster coming up? He keeps cundif. Doesn't have to go back to Gano and can try somebody who can kick FGs but maybe hasn't made it because of his lack of KO power.

If it doesn't completely kill us with roster depth I'd have no problem with it.

Can't keep Cundiff missing 31 yard field goals every week though.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Tandler's take:

Report: Redskins to try out kickers

Billy Cundiff may not be a Redskin for much longer.

Chick Hernandez of Comcast SportsNet is reporting that the Redskins are bringing in kickers for tryouts tomorrow.

Cundiff missed 31-yard field goal attempts each of the past two games and also missed one from 41 against the Bucs.

The Redskins brought Cundiff in just before the final preseason game and let go Graham Gano, the team’s kicker for the previous two seasons. Neal Rackers also was with the Redskins during the offseason program and training camp to provide some competition for Gano.

It is not currently known if Gano or Rackers will be among the kickers who will be a part of tomorrow’s tryout. Other free agent kickers who have NFL experience are Ryan Longwell, Josh Brown, and Olindo Mare.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Shanny to bring in kickers tomorrow

It is not currently known if Gano or Rackers will be among the kickers who will be a part of tomorrow’s tryout. Other free agent kickers who have NFL experience are Ryan Longwell, Josh Brown, and Olindo Mare.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Shanny to bring in kickers tomorrow

If Shanny weren't bringing in kickers tomorrow then he'd need a serious psych evaluation. Not bringing in kickers last week was a solid move, tell Condiff we're still behind you. After this week, we're not...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Three of the kickers coming to town are named and the guy named "Kai" is one of them.

According to Jason LaCanfora of CBSSports.com, the Redskins will work out at least three kickers Tuesday: Olindo Mare, Josh Brown and Kai Forbath.

Orlindo Mare missed a key 31 yarder for the Panthers agains the Vikes last year. I wonder why he is unemployed.

Josh Brown used to be a very good kicker for the Seahawks and Rams. He might still have it. The Rams let him go for their stud draftee kicker.

Kai Forbath was 5-5 this preason with a 55 yarder. Among the worst in touchbacks in preseason.

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:51 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:SJ
Even you can't believe the scat you're dropping here!

Before every kick on Sunday I said out lot that I thought that Cundiff was going to miss it. I DVRd the game and didn't even watch the 57 yarder before the half (actually at the time I thought it was 50 - 50 or 57 it doesn't matter to Cundiff he mises them all).

I count the 57 yarder and the 62 yarder against Shanny, not Cundiff (but he still kicked them so they do count). Those are automatic misses for Cundiff. But he missed two really easy kicks, that had he made them the game would have played out way different.

Cundiff has missed 4 big kicks already for the Skins! With a D as porous as our D, EVERY kick is a really big kick!

Gano made plenty of big kicks! Cundiff has four games under his belt for the Skins and is 6 for 10. That is a failing grade, especially in an NFL where the rest of the kickers are hitting 90% of their kicks. Gano's last four with the Skins he went 10 for 11 (91%). You have to go back seven games to get to 4 misses for Gano. In those seven he was 16 of 20 (80%). It took him TWICE a many kicks to miss as many as Cundiff.

Gano had four kicks over 50 yards last year, about what Cundiff has had his entire career!

Cundiff has one Pro-bowl, but he also had two full seasons and the larger part of another where he was unemployed!

I'm not saying Gano is a good kicker, he is just much better than Cundiff! And yes, I would feel much more confident in Gano kicking a game winner than Cundiff (and every kick in the NFL is a potential game winner - it doesn't matter of there is 50 seconds or 50 minutes left in a game - THEY ALL COUNT 3 POINTS!)

:shock: "even you" - thanks a lot - up yours too :lol:

i'm only pointing out the obvious - Gano had his shot and then they brought in Rackers to see if that would liven him up

I believe they could not have been very happy to have to bring in Cundiff

given all that you've pointed out

AND

as someone else posted - teams rarely change kickers unless the guy you have sucks - these guys brought in Cundiff

that's fine with me - Gano did not have anything but a great leg - he did not make me feel that he was a great kicker

Cundiff may not be any good either but he's showing me that he's better than super leg Gano

now, if this kid has lost his confidence and is not cutting it with Danny and Mike we would see a bunch of kickers here :roll:

waiting .....

maybe Cundiff is the best option right now ...... :wink:

I swear ... where do you come up with these thoughts?

In the past two weeks, Cundiff is 2 for 6 on FGs with two 30 yard chip shot misses .... that's 33% .... and the game winner last week just BARELY made it by the skin of his teeth.

This guy is HORRIBLE .... easily the worst kicker the Redskins have ever put on the field.

Cundiff has made a grand total of 5 kicks from 50+ in his entire 8 year career .... by contrast, Gano made 6 50+ yard kicks LAST YEAR, which was only his 2nd full season as a pro. He has a total of 9 50+ yard kicks over the past two seasons.

Now, the reasoning behind going with Cundiff over Gano was apparently his ability to kick touchbacks on kickoffs, and his supposed accuracy from 40 yards and in. Well, he sucks at those shorter kicks too.

The decision to go with Cundiff was a bad one to start with, and no one outside the ShanClan understood it. But after going 1-4 last week, he had no business being on the field to miss another chip shot yesterday.

How many times do you need to see this car accident?

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Cundiff has missed 40% of all the kicks missed from 35 yards or less this season.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:59 pm

As for kicker Billy Cundiff, this might not be a popular opinion but I’m inclined to say the Redskins need to support and stick by him. He was chosen and signed with no type of competition. There are two reasons why this might happen and both are why he needs to stay. The first is that the two kickers he replaced, Neil Rackers and Graham Gano, were so bad they both had to go, and Cundiff was the best replacement available. Or he was the best kicker available and you didn’t want to risk not getting him. Kicker has been one of the most maligned positions on this team for years. As a former Redskins player, I had a ton of coaches, QB’s and guest kickers.

Does anybody agree with LaVar's opinion on this topic?

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:03 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
As for kicker Billy Cundiff, this might not be a popular opinion but I’m inclined to say the Redskins need to support and stick by him. He was chosen and signed with no type of competition. There are two reasons why this might happen and both are why he needs to stay. The first is that the two kickers he replaced, Neil Rackers and Graham Gano, were so bad they both had to go, and Cundiff was the best replacement available. Or he was the best kicker available and you didn’t want to risk not getting him. Kicker has been one of the most maligned positions on this team for years. As a former Redskins player, I had a ton of coaches, QB’s and guest kickers.

I agree...

This is not a popular opinion
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Shanny was asked if "as of now is Cundiff still your kicker?" He said yes and the room full of reporters was dead silent, almost a minute passed before the next question was asked
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:22 pm

1niksder wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:

I agree...

This is not a popular opinion

LMAO!

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Red_One43 wrote:

I agree that Lavar needs to put away the bong.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:58 pm

RayNAustin wrote:I swear ... where do you come up with these thoughts?

In the past two weeks, Cundiff is 2 for 6 on FGs with two 30 yard chip shot misses .... that's 33% .... and the game winner last week just BARELY made it by the skin of his teeth.

This guy is HORRIBLE .... easily the worst kicker the Redskins have ever put on the field.

Cundiff has made a grand total of 5 kicks from 50+ in his entire 8 year career .... by contrast, Gano made 6 50+ yard kicks LAST YEAR, which was only his 2nd full season as a pro. He has a total of 9 50+ yard kicks over the past two seasons.

Now, the reasoning behind going with Cundiff over Gano was apparently his ability to kick touchbacks on kickoffs, and his supposed accuracy from 40 yards and in. Well, he sucks at those shorter kicks too.

The decision to go with Cundiff was a bad one to start with, and no one outside the ShanClan understood it. But after going 1-4 last week, he had no business being on the field to miss another chip shot yesterday.

How many times do you need to see this car accident?

I'm not sure you understood the point I was making - :lol:

as surprising as this is to you and some others here - I did NOT decide that Billy Cundiff would be our kicker OR that he was better than Gano

that decision was made by Mike and Danny - DUH

Cundiff OBVIOUSLY got the job because these guys thought he could get the job done

one thing is clear here - you don't perform you're done

I'm not a Cundiff supporter - I'm just glad we don't have Gano kicking

For years now I've been hoping we could get a decent and reliable kicker

THAT IS ALL

Gano had a great leg but he OBVIOUSLY did not make Danny and Mike feel he could be relied on

bring in the next clown
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:06 pm

I would hope that this had nothing to do with Danny.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football