RG3 'mild' concussion - now what?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:12 pm

ACW wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
ACW wrote:How was the hit not penalized? I know RGIII was the runner, so no defenseless, but it was TO THE HEAD.
You need to review the rules... There was nothing to penalize. Bob had no chance of picking up a first down. Bob needs to step out of bounds, to avoid LEGAL contact from opponents unecessarily.
Isn't any hit to the head a penalty? If not, it SHOULD be.

No, not yet, but I'm sure it soon will be. I think that a blow to the head should be a blow to the head. Does it hurt less if you're not in the pocket or a defenseless receiver?

If a blow to the head is illegal for some plays it should be illegal four all plays.

With that said, it isn't now and that was a legal play. Of course Fletcher put almost the exact same hit on Tom Brady last year (or the year before) and it drew a yellow hanky (and a fine - I think).
Last edited by skinsfan#33 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:08 am

How likely is he to play this weekend? I'd probably sit him, but its a game HE can win for us Idk
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:03 am

RG3 cleared to practice ...

but

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark ... to-do-next

as this article points out - he should not be put on the field unless they can both game plan for him to not take the hits

and

that they are sure 'he gets it'

we need RG3 for the next 10+ years ... NOT just for this season

we most likely do not win this game without him at QB but .....
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:43 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
ACW wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
ACW wrote:How was the hit not penalized? I know RGIII was the runner, so no defenseless, but it was TO THE HEAD.
You need to review the rules... There was nothing to penalize. Bob had no chance of picking up a first down. Bob needs to step out of bounds, to avoid LEGAL contact from opponents unecessarily.
Isn't any hit to the head a penalty? If not, it SHOULD be.

No, not yet, but I'm sure it soon will be. I think that a blow to the head should be a blow to the head. Does it hurt less if you're not in the pocket or a defenseless receiver?

If a blow to the head is illegal for some plays it should be illegal four all plays.

With that said, it isn't now and that was a legal play. Of course Fletcher put almost the exact same hit on Tom Brady last year (or the year before) and it drew a yellow hanky (and a fine - I think).

Not likely... ball carriers would simply be trained to lower their heads to ensure contact, and draw penalties... you cannot legislate this... it is either a contact game, or it is not. You CAN legislate against taking aim at a players head when unable to protect himself... you cannot penalize incidental contact in making a tackle...

The call against Fletch was pure crap...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

piggie

Postby fetus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:14 pm

SkinsJock wrote:RG3 cleared to practice ...

but

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark ... to-do-next

[color=yellow]as this article points out - he should not be put on the field unless they can both game plan for him to not take the hits[/color]

and

that they are sure 'he gets it'

we need RG3 for the next 10+ years ... NOT just for this season

we most likely do not win this game without him at QB but .....

And how likely is the coaching staff to listen to a CBS article for advice
:(
RGIII and the terrible D

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:01 pm

The staff and FO will make the right call here - Mike has already indicated that there's a procedure in place for medical clearance that is outside the organization

these guys know how important this kid is to the future of this franchise and they would be signing their ticket out of here if they don't make the right choice

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:18 pm

SkinsJock wrote:The staff and FO will make the right call here - Mike has already indicated that there's a procedure in place for medical clearance that is outside the organization

these guys know how important this kid is to the future of this franchise and they would be signing their ticket out of here if they don't make the right choice

Be that as it may, I would seat him an extra week just as a precaution.

Based on my own experience, a week may not be enough. Yes, he "could" play but a hit that may not have been dangerous before, all of the sudden is now. Not worth it.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:38 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:

How likely is he to play this weekend? I'd probably sit him, but its a game HE can win for us Idk

After listening to a clip of his interview today, I fully expect him to play on Sunday. Shanny claims that they have a plan in place in case RGIII's status changes between now and then. RGIII did not take all the starter snaps and Shanny didn't say who took the other snaps.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... tl_sessler

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Red_One43 wrote:

After listening to a clip of his interview today, I fully expect him to play on Sunday. Shanny claims that they have a plan in place in case RGIII's status changes between now and then. RGIII did not take all the starter snaps and Shanny didn't say who took the other snaps.

Not surprised the Shanny is hush hush.. for all we know rgiii failed tests but the Shanny wants it to remain a mystery if RGiii is gonna play or not. Who knows. We don't.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:22 am

Countertrey wrote:
The call against Fletch was pure crap...

If we want to be factual here... that call wasn't against Fletcher, it was FOR Brady :evil:

Redskin in Canada wrote:Be that as it may, I would seat him an extra week just as a precaution.

Based on my own experience, a week may not be enough. Yes, he "could" play but a hit that may not have been dangerous before, all of the sudden is now. Not worth it.

+1

Red_One43 wrote:

It doesn't matter if Shanny says who will play if RGIII doesn't, no team has to prepare for RG3int :cry:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:32 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:.... I would seat him an extra week just as a precaution.

I also agree - why not err on the side of caution

I think that decision has already been made

Hail to the Redskins

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:14 am

SkinsJock wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:.... I would seat him an extra week just as a precaution.

I also agree - why not err on the side of caution

I think that decision has already been made

Do you mean the decision has been made to sit him, or just that the decision has been made, and we will see come Sunday?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:The staff and FO will make the right call here - Mike has already indicated that there's a procedure in place for medical clearance that is outside the organization

Be that as it may, I would seat him an extra week just as a precaution.

I agree.

Alex Karras.

Great player, fine comic actor ("Mongo"!), and Karras delivered most of the hits. Even so, his wife says that during the last years, Karras could no longer remember enough of his favorite recipes to cook. He was 77.

It's better to be safe with RG3's brain.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:59 pm

I think that the decision has been made by RGIII, Mike, Kyle and the 'independent' medical person

we are most likely seeing RGIII this week

The player and the play caller will not be taking unnecessary risks

IF it was my call he would not be playing much if at all
I certainly understand that this is a contact sport and it's not like RGIII does not fully grasp the risks of playing

Hail to the Redskins

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:04 pm

He's playing people. Buck up.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football