Cover 2 Zone

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

Cover 2 Zone

Postby REDSKINMARK » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:31 pm

Man O' Man is this defense lousy!!

Time and time again, this "soft cover D" does not get the damned job done. What good does it do us to have our D line get some pretty decent stops on the run, to hold the offense to a second down and say 7 or 8 yds, then on 3rd down have all the underneath patterns go for 10 to 12 yards right in front of our secondary... and a Freak'n First Down!!!!! :hmm:

We have got to find a way to stopping this maddness. Maybe a full on blitz or a hard man to man cover with our awsome DBs on 3rd downs... something??
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:27 pm

Man O' Man is this defense lousy!!

kinda need to re-word that a bit... the defensive scheme is lousy...
the past few weeks we've been getting some huge individual efforts..... problem is the prevent d, prevent us from winning.... i think the players are getting tighter and tighter each week...the scheme still sucks as bad each week...
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

piggie

Postby The Skins Fan » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:26 pm

I agree with you guys completely...This defense is HORRIBLE...Mark, you hit the nail on the head with everything you said...It is absolutely insane how they play the coverage...Every single F#####G time we hold them to 3rd and more than 5, you can GARUANTEE that all the offense has to do is run ANY pass pattern they want and they'll get the first down...I mean look you could run a 2 yard swing pass and run for more than what is needed for a first down b/c our defense couldn't tackle a problem in the secondary when it comes to offense needing a first down...I mean our corners were labeled before the season as "two of the top corners in the league"...when you have guys like Champ and Fred (of course, Fred has been beat like a red-headed step child all year long and Champ hasn't been all that spectactular) the best defense you can do is run man to man with the corners on the #1 and #2 recievers...but wait, the Redskins can't do that b/c they couldn't cover a tight end if their careers depended on it...Unless, however, you play someone like the Giants and revolve a defensive scheme that will attempt to LIMIT Jeremy Shockey (which only works once in what 7 or 8 games??) and when you do that you leave Toomer and Hilliard to run circles around the secondary...bottom line, The defense is horrible, the scheme is horrible, the coordinator is horrible--the Redskins are horrible
Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:33 pm

can i get some man coverage please????
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

aka Sarcastic Hog

Pressure

Postby skinz74 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:50 pm

Additionally, it is not helping matters that our Defensive line is not getting to the QB, giving them largely 5-7 seconds each drop. They had a applaudable performance holding Davis to 99, but did not get pressure on "the man." Probably any one of us could drop back 5-7 steps and hit a check down receiver...

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:45 pm

One simple point - I know people are tired of hearing my rants -

We have four good cover backs, whether some agree with that or not. Ohalete and Bowen would be much better if not paying so close attention to the run.

If playing man, we could cover 2,3,4 receivers and let the LB blitz from different positions, or drop them back to cover backs and TE and blitz safeties.

Nuff said.
Rich in Roanoke

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:05 pm

Well this is a weird one. Everyone brace urselves Im about to DEFEND THEM! lol.

Anytime you give a QB that much time ANY CB will get burned. They've been doing an outstanding job IMO with our pass rush as poor as it is.

Hog

Postby skins75 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:55 am

I dont think that blaming the secondary is entirely the right way to go about this. However, giving up 180+ yards to an average receiver is poor playing regardless of the scheme. It has been stated by multiple people (including myself) on the board the scheme is DEFINITELY not working. Why not let these guys earn some of their salary by playing press man coverage. Bump at the line and make the receivers work for their route. I know every one is tired of seeing teams just methodically drive the field on us time and time again. Yes we don't give up alot of big plays down the field but not only do 12 yards at a pop take up game clock they turn into points. At least try something different, I know GE has been associated in someway with football his whole life and knows more than most of us but DUDE I dont know if its tunnel vision or whatever but something needs to change.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football