Kai Forbath - New Kicker

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:53 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:word has it that billy cundiff tried to commit suicide but he failed miserably because he couldn't kick the chair out from under him

That's more like it... Thanks for getting us back on topic! :lol:

An oldie but a goody (and one that I first heard in reference to Mark Mosely, unfortunately).

My all-time favorite joke of this type was the one that circulated soon after Super Bowl XXII:

Redskins Fan #1: Poor John Elway. He went home after the Super Bowl and couldn't even get into his house, had to stay in a hotel overnight.

Redskins Fan #2: Really? How come?

Redskins Fan #1: Because somebody painted an endzone in front of his
door!
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Forbath did well today.....a 49 yd kick right off the bat. Only one game, but maybe we have found our kicker.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:57 pm

rskin72 wrote:Forbath did well today.....a 49 yd kick right off the bat. Only one game, but maybe we have found our kicker.

And he's young, too. If he's good, we could have solved a situation that has gone on almost as long as QB, before RGIII. A good kicker is so important! I don't want to even guess at the number of games we've lost in the last 20 years due to missed FGs.
Last edited by Deadskins on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:58 pm

I think Forbath is our guy. Only one game, and one kick. But, I've got a hunch. Liked what I've seen from him
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:04 am

The Hogster wrote:I think Forbath is our guy. Only one game, and one kick. But, I've got a hunch. Liked what I've seen from him

His 50 yarder looked very good, so that was promising -- and he was probably nervous since it was his first NFL kick, so that made it even better.

I would have liked to have seen more touchbacks on kickoffs though. He had 7 kickoffs with 3 returns -- 2 of which ended up in scoring drives. That is really the only thing I could see that wasn't ideal.

All in all a great showing by the new kicker, though.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:18 pm

markshark84 wrote:I would have liked to have seen more touchbacks on kickoffs though. He had 7 kickoffs with 3 returns -- 2 of which ended up in scoring drives. That is really the only thing I could see that wasn't ideal

Harvin is one of the top return men in the game, too. I would like to see some more out of the back of the end zone, though. The FG was awesome.
XVII XXII XXVI

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:59 pm

He looks smaller than Banks.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:23 pm

Against very good, fast returners, you must be able to do a couple of things to be effective on KO's... pin them to the corner of the end zone... did that 3 times, very well... or kick it to the back of the end zone... not so much. Line drive kickoffs to the middle will always give an advantage to the returner... not enough hang time for the coverage to get there...

We have found our kicker... but he really needs to work on KO Hang time and distance...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:29 pm

I think that Forbath signing shed light into what we have heard about Shanny as a personnel guy.

It has been said that Shanny believes that he can coach up anyone with talent. He has had his successes, but, he has bombed with his failures - McNabb and now, Cundif.

Having played TB in the preseson and Forbath kicking a 40+ yard FG against us in that game, while Cundif failed miserably on his 40+ yarder, Shanny opted to stay with Cundif and not even bring in Forbath for a tryout. Why?

Cundif had what Shanny coveted - a touchback KO leg. The FG thing? Oh Cundif will get it together after Shanny talks to him - Didn't happen. We heard about this kind of personnel stuff at the end of Shanny's Denver tenure and it led to his downfall.

Forsbath is a good kicker. Good enough for Dallas to keep him on IR last season, but not good enough on KOs to get him a kicking job at the start of the season, but Shanny hopefully was reminded how valuable a 50 + yard kicker is to have on the team. We don't make that FG and I don't think we win that game. A miss would give the Vikes a short field and more momentum. The successful FG gave us the lift we needed.

I keep telling myself don't even go there about what if we had this guy all season long. Just leave it alone and look forward.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:15 pm

Countertrey wrote:Against very good, fast returners, you must be able to do a couple of things to be effective on KO's... pin them to the corner of the end zone... did that 3 times, very well... or kick it to the back of the end zone... not so much. Line drive kickoffs to the middle will always give an advantage to the returner... not enough hang time for the coverage to get there...

We have found our kicker... but he really needs to work on KO Hang time and distance...

I agree with what you say. All of Forbath's kicks made it to the end zone, but none made it out of the end zone, thus preventing even the possibility of a return by a dangerous return man. By contrast...seemed like every one of the Vikings kicker's kick-off's went well out of the end zone, eliminating Banks on the return game. At the end, Forbath started to directional kick to one side of the end zone or the other....and that helped to limit Harvin's ability to return....and unlike Gano, his directional kicks actually made it to the end zone vice going out of bounds.

So...heard the reasons why a kicker might make long kick-offs but not FG's....seems like we have the opposite here. Unlike Cundiff, however, whose track history was readily apparent, the book is still open with Forbath.

Do know that everyone in the section I sit in were very happy with that first kick!!!
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:09 am

Just curious.. what did it sound like from TV land when he made his first kick? Cuz damn near everyone in the crowd stood up and made a bunch of noise.. LOL
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:14 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:Just curious.. what did it sound like from TV land when he made his first kick? Cuz damn near everyone in the crowd stood up and made a bunch of noise.. LOL

About like that! :lol:

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:20 am

cvillehog wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Just curious.. what did it sound like from TV land when he made his first kick? Cuz damn near everyone in the crowd stood up and made a bunch of noise.. LOL

About like that! :lol:

:lol: Well aite den!!!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:21 am

Honestly, it may have sounded a little louder but not significantly given the fact most crowds cheer when their team makes FGs -- but Fedex is just a horrible stadium and it never sounds very loud. The only time it was really loud was when RGIII ran for the 76 yd TD. Although this will never in a 100 years happen -- I wish they would renovate RFK and move the team back there. RFK had character. Fedex is just one big walking corporate sponsorship.

I actually think the most expressive (no loudest just you knew why people were cheering) reaction I heard from the crowd was when RGIII ran out of bounds on his first QB scramble in the first quarter.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 am

markshark84 wrote:

Honestly, it may have sounded a little louder but not significantly given the fact most crowds cheer when their team makes FGs -- but Fedex is just a horrible stadium and it never sounds very loud. The only time it was really loud was when RGIII ran for the 76 yd TD. Although this will never in a 100 years happen -- I wish they would renovate RFK and move the team back there. RFK had character. Fedex is just one big walking corporate sponsorship.

I actually think the most expressive (no loudest just you knew why people were cheering) reaction I heard from the crowd was when RGIII ran out of bounds on his first QB scramble in the first quarter.

Hahahaha!!!! Yea we were cissed when he stepped out.. we were like.. GO DOWN! GO DOWN! RUN OUT! :lol:

I have no problems with Fedex, I appreciate the fact we have so many seats and I 100% love the parking lots because people can tailgate no matter where they are. RFK may have been nice back in the days but to go back there now we'd have to eliminate plenty of tickets and hire DC Police to patrol that area for the entire game.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football