Our fans suck - 2nd post in as many years

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:15 pm

markshark84 wrote:If they want more noise and a more difficult place to play there is an easy solution:

Lower ticket prices so the more vocal fans can attend.

Snyder trys to nickel and dime the fans at every opportunity. Ticket prices are insane, parking is among the highest in the league, food and expecially beer are without question the most expensive in the NFL. 2 tickets in the WORST section, with parking and food will easily set you back $350 for tix, food, parking, etc. You want good seats -- your looking at $600 total for 2 people. The stadium is full of rich, non vocal folks who show up late and leave early.

That won't change by coordinating chants or getting rally towels. You need to fill the stadium with actual fans that care about the team; not rich families looking for a way to spend their money on sundays.

Sorry dude. Coming from Chicago, I know the Skins game is almost half the cost. Bears tickets are much more expensive, the stadium sucks, food and beer is the same and parking is horrible. The experience is much worse...but the fans make a difference. Go to another stadium and you'll realize how pathetic we are. And the players are voicing it now too...
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Deadskins wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:Listen to Fletcher at the 6:30 mark (listen to the full interview if you have time), and listen to what he's asking for. We CAN be louder and rowdier, but for whatever reason, we aren't.
http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/v ... c9c3c7790f

It's at 8:30, not 6:30

Thanks...I edited it
Miss you 21

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:04 pm

I do not agree with many of the posts I see on various boards complaining about the fans at the games....and CERTAINLY do not agree that Redskins fans suck. That stadium was rocking when RGIII ran for the TD late in the game on Sunday. My voice was gone and my hand was sore from high-fiving when I left the game. While I think things can, and will, improve with regard to gameday crowds at FEDEX….think the Redskin fans sometimes take unwarranted abuse.

That article does reference the Skins home winning pct over past 20 years....coincidentally we won our last SB about 20 years ago...and a few years later moved to FEDEX. Our current overall record since moving to FEDEX is 108-137-1, 60-62-1 at home through this past weekend’s game. Since 97, there have been 4 seasons above .500 and 3 playoff appearances. Also, FEDEX has been ranked very low (28 out of 31) with regard to fan value/ experience per Sports Illustrated.

But, despite all of that, the REDSKIN fan base is actually rated as TOP TIER. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ent_stream

I do agree with comments regarding folks not being in the stadium at the start of the game...I can't understand how you pay all that money to see an event, and you are not there for the start of the event. Also....I noticed some fans had left once we were up by quite a bit. Again, don't understand that....but it is not my $$$ and not my ticket. I am noticing more kids at the games...which is great.

As for what London said....you notice that he said he wanted the fans to be as loud on opponent’s third down attempts as it was when RGIII made his TD run.....he also wants a hostile environment for opposing teams. Think that will evolve with CONSISTENTLY WINNING.....more Redskin fans will show up at games, leaving fewer tickets and seats for opposing fans. Think the stadium was actually pretty loud on many of the third down opportunities in the 3rd and 4th qtr for the Vikings....but on many of those occasions the Vikings made the conversion anyhow.

In short, just a little over the general fan bashing that I see on many threads……
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:21 pm

rskin72 wrote:I do not agree with many of the posts I see on various boards complaining about the fans at the games....and CERTAINLY do not agree that Redskins fans suck. That stadium was rocking when RGIII ran for the TD late in the game on Sunday. My voice was gone and my hand was sore from high-fiving when I left the game. While I think things can, and will, improve with regard to gameday crowds at FEDEX….think the Redskin fans sometimes take unwarranted abuse.
……

The key in your statment was that the stadium was rocking during an offensive play. Big whoop. We need that stadium to be rocking on a defensive stand...that is what Fletcher says as well, so not sure what your point is.

Your hands hurt high fiving? Then stop high fiving. It makes no noise and it's kind of lame. Instead, pull your shirt off and smack someone in the face for the same effect. How about sporting an air horn, and give three out to people in the bathroom. Have they banned those or something. I remember those as being very effective back in the day...

I'm not saying the fan base sucks. I'm saying the fans at the game suck, and most do. Get louder and stand up. You'll drive those that can't stand or can't see when someone is standing in front to go away..that would be old people, rich people and kids.
Miss you 21

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:16 am

Before ANYBODY bashes the fans anymore, I just want to make TWO points:

1. The acoustics of Stadiums change DRAMATICALLY from one to another. Seattle is one of the loudest because of the Stadium acoustics, not only the fans. Other covered Stadiums are also very loud since the sound has nowhere to go out.

Acoustics are important. Just compare how RFK used to rock with FEWER fans than Fed Ex does sound with a bigger crowd now.

2. There has been very little to be loud about since Joe Gibbs left both the first and second times until this season over more than a decade. The fact that we used to win in RFK also helped. :wink:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:29 am

chiefhog44 wrote:Your hands hurt high fiving? Then stop high fiving.

Get louder and stand up. You'll drive those that can't stand or can't see when someone is standing in front to go away..that would be old people, rich people and kids.

Dang Dawg........you sound like a Politician.
Whatchew got against OLD PEOPLE, RICH PEOPLE, AND KIDS...???

Now, you want to BAN the High Five........??? Serious....???
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:31 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:Before ANYBODY bashes the fans anymore, I just want to make TWO points:

1. The acoustics of Stadiums change DRAMATICALLY from one to another. Seattle is one of the loudest because of the Stadium acoustics, not only the fans. Other covered Stadiums are also very loud since the sound has nowhere to go out.

Acoustics are important. Just compare how RFK used to rock with FEWER fans than Fed Ex does sound with a bigger crowd now.

2. There has been very little to be loud about since Joe Gibbs left both the first and second times until this season over more than a decade. The fact that we used to win in RFK also helped. :wink:

RiC,
Good point on stadium accustics and they play a big part in Seatle, but the biggest part in Seattle is the fact that the NFL (for some reason) overlooks the fact that they pipe in crowd noise.
Yes, I said it... they cheat! Their 12th man is pretty good on their own, but combine that with the accustics and the electronic amplification of the crown noise and they place is lowder than an airport at the end of the runway!
Maybe the Danny can get NRG to set up solar panels above the upperdeck that are stregically place to reflect noise more so than to collect sollar energy. Then they can use some of that electricity to "help" the home crowd get louder (like Seattle does)!

Winning will increase the crowd noise the fastest; it will get fans there that actually want to be part of the game!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Many of us older fans gave up our tickets because there are two many drunk, obnoxious fans that have no consideration for other fans. In my golfing group there are 3 of us that gave up season tickets and we have no regrets.

I don't mean to offend anyone on this board but it is what it is.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:53 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
markshark84 wrote:If they want more noise and a more difficult place to play there is an easy solution:

Snyder trys to nickel and dime the fans at every opportunity. Ticket prices are insane, parking is among the highest in the league, food and expecially beer are without question the most expensive in the NFL. 2 tickets in the WORST section, with parking and food will easily set you back $350 for tix, food, parking, etc. You want good seats -- your looking at $600 total for 2 people. The stadium is full of rich, non vocal folks who show up late and leave early.

That won't change by coordinating chants or getting rally towels. You need to fill the stadium with actual fans that care about the team; not rich families looking for a way to spend their money on sundays.

Going to the game can cost as low as $30 per person. Buy SRO seats (~$25), take the subway, don't buy darn thing in the stadium.

Sounds like a great time.... :roll:
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:58 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:
rskin72 wrote:I do not agree with many of the posts I see on various boards complaining about the fans at the games....and CERTAINLY do not agree that Redskins fans suck. That stadium was rocking when RGIII ran for the TD late in the game on Sunday. My voice was gone and my hand was sore from high-fiving when I left the game. While I think things can, and will, improve with regard to gameday crowds at FEDEX….think the Redskin fans sometimes take unwarranted abuse.
……

The key in your statment was that the stadium was rocking during an offensive play. Big whoop. We need that stadium to be rocking on a defensive stand...that is what Fletcher says as well, so not sure what your point is.

Your hands hurt high fiving? Then stop high fiving. It makes no noise and it's kind of lame. Instead, pull your shirt off and smack someone in the face for the same effect. How about sporting an air horn, and give three out to people in the bathroom. Have they banned those or something. I remember those as being very effective back in the day...

I'm not saying the fan base sucks. I'm saying the fans at the game suck, and most do. Get louder and stand up. You'll drive those that can't stand or can't see when someone is standing in front to go away..that would be old people, rich people and kids.

Really....stop high fiving? Nice. If you read the last paragraph in my post, I did mention that the stadium was also loud for many third down plays especially during the fourth quarter when the Vikings O was on the field.

The fans at least where I am sitting were standing and stomping, yelling, making noise at appropriate places in the game....and we booed as the visitors took the field.

The thread title states OUR FANS SUCK....not OUR FANS SUCK during the game. Now you are entitled to your opinion...and while I believe that fan support/noise at the games can improve, I certainly do not think that it is as bad as some paint it....and I think it will improve over the next few seasons as the team improves and becomes truely competitive for annual post season spots.

Oh...and seeing as how I am a card carrying member of AARP, guess I am one of those "old fans" that you seem to want to exclude from the stadium. BTW, the "kid" that sits next to me with his dad is one of the folks that is on his feet cheering and screaming non-stop.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:46 pm

markshark84 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

Going to the game can cost as low as $30 per person. Buy SRO seats (~$25), take the subway, don't buy darn thing in the stadium.

It is!

Don't get me wrong I prefer tailgating and usually do and in that case in drink and eat before the game. Buying high priced food and drink in the stadium just kills my mood.

For a 1pm game I will get there early enough to cook streak and eggs, drink a few Yuenglings and be in my seat before kick off. The cost pig the T-bone, eggs and beers comes to just a little more than one beer in the stadium and less than two.

The point is, you can good to the game on the cheap and still have a really good time. If youchoose to spend a lot, don't complain about the cost, Danny world is no worse than any other event for concession prices.

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:47 pm

markshark84 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

It is!

Don't get me wrong I prefer tailgating and usually do and in that case in drink and eat before the game. Buying high priced food and drink in the stadium just kills my mood.

For a 1pm game I will get there early enough to cook streak and eggs, drink a few Yuenglings and be in my seat before kick off. The cost pig the T-bone, eggs and beers comes to just a little more than one beer in the stadium and less than two.

The point is, you can good to the game on the cheap and still have a really good time. If youchoose to spend a lot, don't complain about the cost, Danny world is no worse than any other event for concession prices.

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:32 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:Your hands hurt high fiving? Then stop high fiving.

Get louder and stand up. You'll drive those that can't stand or can't see when someone is standing in front to go away..that would be old people, rich people and kids.

Dang Dawg........you sound like a Politician.
Whatchew got against OLD PEOPLE, RICH PEOPLE, AND KIDS...???

Now, you want to BAN the High Five........??? Serious....???

:lol:
Miss you 21

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:24 pm

rskin72 wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:
……

I certainly do not think that it is as bad as some paint it....and I think it will improve over the next few seasons as the team improves and becomes truely competitive for annual post season spots.

Oh...and seeing as how I am a card carrying member of AARP, guess I am one of those "old fans" that you seem to want to exclude from the stadium. BTW, the "kid" that sits next to me with his dad is one of the folks that is on his feet cheering and screaming non-stop.

Kidding about the high fives and the old people and the kids. Sorry, I was a bit drunk, but the fans at the game are lame. I base that on 4 points...1) my experience going to FEDEX. 2) comparing my experience at the game versus at least 5 different NFL stadiums I have been to, not all field good teams...Buffalo being one. 3). Fletcher's statements...a player ON the field who can compare to every other stadium experience and 4) a ranking done by ESPN by a reporter who most likely has been in every stadium as well.

You are trying to justify it because you are part of it, and I'm not saying it's you directly. Im sure you give it your all. But if you could step back a little bit, you would see, it is not very difficult to play in FEDEX as an opposing team and I think it needs to get better right now...not when the team is better. Right now. Will the team to victory I always say. Be a part of the win...not a spectator.
Miss you 21

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:51 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:
rskin72 wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:
……

I certainly do not think that it is as bad as some paint it....and I think it will improve over the next few seasons as the team improves and becomes truely competitive for annual post season spots.

Kidding about the high fives and the old people and the kids. Sorry, I was a bit drunk, but the fans at the game are lame. I base that on 4 points...1) my experience going to FEDEX. 2) comparing my experience at the game versus at least 5 different NFL stadiums I have been to, not all field good teams...Buffalo being one. 3). Fletcher's statements...a player ON the field who can compare to every other stadium experience and 4) a ranking done by ESPN by a reporter who most likely has been in every stadium as well.

You are trying to justify it because you are part of it, and I'm not saying it's you directly. Im sure you give it your all. But if you could step back a little bit, you would see, it is not very difficult to play in FEDEX as an opposing team and I think it needs to get better right now...not when the team is better. Right now. Will the team to victory I always say. Be a part of the win...not a spectator.

Copy all. While I have been a fan since '72, I did not go to my first football game until the 90's, and only was able to attend one game at RFK. I have been to a couple of other stadiums.....The Murph in SD, and Dolfink stadium....and can definitely say that our stadium rocks more than those did WRT fan support. The RFK game was vs the Raiders, and there were plenty of goofy Raider faithful who showed up dressed like halloween...Raiders won the game as well....forget who was coach, but was not Gibbs.

And I do agree that fan support can improve....but I also would repeat that fan support will get better and better as long as the team continues to improve to the point of becoming annual contenders for playoffs vice pretenders. RGIII has already energized much of the fan base, and you are only starting to see that impact at this season's home games.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football