Are we handling injuries correctly?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Are we handling injuries correctly?

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:06 am

Perhaps NOT........

Let me first get off my chest - who's idiotic idea was it to line up Josh Wilson on the line of scrimmage against Victor Cruz with less than 2 minutes less in the game and the game on the line? As soon as I saw that formation and Mr. Magoo (Mr. Madeiu) fumbling around the backfield I knew the game was all over even before the snap.

Former Redskins safety LaRon Landry now plays for the Jets
Now onto the main issue. The Redskins starting lineup is starting to look like it has served time in Iraq. What is it with all of these injuries?

LaRon Laundry said several weeks ago that the Redskin's medical staff is the worst he's seen and the coaches aren't much better when it comes to injuries. Given he is running around playing for the Jets without surgery (that the Redskins insisted upon), he may be onto something.

For anyone that has torn a pectoral or a rotator cuff, you know there is NO chance that part of the body will ever be the same again. It certainly takes a long time to get 98%. Enter Orakpo and his pec tear the last week of last season. Many people were commenting "this is a more serious injury than the Redskins are treating as when the preseason started." Linebackers commented that Rak just wasn't the same in training camp. What do the coaches do? Throw him into preseason games! Idiotic at best, Rak is out, and if he returns to the game next year and thinks he can straight-arm tackle again, his career is over.

Pierre Garcon
Consider Pierre Garcon. Shanahan said it was a matter of dealing with pain. Now after shoving him back into games way too early, he is out for an undisclosed period and needs just to rest. Didn't he need to just rest when he first got the injury? Apparently, the injury has compounded to a tendon or the original diagnosis was completely incorrect. Again, Redskins medical management and overall coaching staff gets an "F" on how Garcon has been managed.

Chase Minnifield - once they saw he looked good enough to play they should have sat him out of training camp - insisted he wear a brace - something. Every other team in the NFL passed on him because his knee injury was so serious. What do the Redskins do? Torch his knee again in training camp.

Next for literal Achilles heels (losing Laundry on this issue as well), is Roy Helu and Fred Davis. Does anybody warm up before a game over there? Don't they rub pounds of Tiger Balm on their Achilles heels, feet, knees and ankles before a game? With billions of $ at stake, you would think the NFL has perfected some kind of stretching warm-up regimen.

On the plus side for the Redskins on this issue is the offensive line. They gave Kory Lichtensteiger lots of time to heal and kept him out of the preseason. It seems to have worked.

Injuries in football are inevitable. Patience, proper treatment, and proper prevention are coaching and staffing issues. Let's start with a simple suggestion - season ending injuries mean NO preseason play the next season PERIOD. Secondly, when Haslett starts packing his boxes after this season, let the medical and training staff go with him.

Editor's Note: Some good thoughts raised here. I vaguely recall that Mike Shanahan swapped out the medical and training staff when he arrived in 2010. Even then, there were whispers about the group.

The NFL fined the Redskins $20,000 for the description and reporting of Robert Griffin III's mild traumatic brain injury (concussion) in the Atlanta game. Washington handled the injury itself properly, but if words betray thought, perhaps something about the Redskins thinking about injury needs to be "shaken up."

Written by Scott Hirsch on Oct 22, 2012 13:48.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:28 am

Hard to care what this guy says when he takes Laron Landry's complaining at face value. The guy who ignored the medical advice given by the team, purused his own options for recovery . . . and then never recovered. A guy with a clear bad attitude, streak of immaturity, and chip on his shoulder.

I'm surprised he didn't get a quote from Carlos "I refuse to visit the eye doctor" Rogers to go along with it.

:roll:

This blogpost is a steaming pile. Fred Davis gets an achilles heel injury and it must be because of a backwards organization? Yeah, there's no other explanation. Shanahan replaces the very medical doctors he's questioning, but because there are still "whispers" we know something isn't right? Sure, buddy.

Monkey
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 am

I actually tend to agree with most of what he is saying.. The Redskins have long treated injuries terribly and it seems to have gotten worse in the last couple seasons..

Injuries happen and there is nothing you can do about them but the team seems to have issues with treatment of these injuries and there also has been re-accuring issues with Hamstrings and things of that nature and many fans on this board have made note of that as well

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:15 am

everydayAskinsday wrote:I actually tend to agree with most of what he is saying.. The Redskins have long treated injuries terribly and it seems to have gotten worse in the last couple seasons..

Has it? What makes you say so?

Injuries happen and there is nothing you can do about them but the team seems to have issues with treatment of these injuries and there also has been re-accuring issues with Hamstrings and things of that nature and many fans on this board have made note of that as well

Every team deals with this, and in fact in the past couple of years the Redskins have had a lower rate of injuries than a good number of teams. I think Skins fans notice it more because they follow their teams closely and don't pay nearly as much attention to every other team, where players are working through nagging injuries all year just like our guys do.

If our injuries are due to an incompetent medical staff, then what does that say about the 10 (or so) teams that have had worse luck than us with injuries?
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:36 am

Yeah I'm just not buying this. The Redskins and Dan Snyder in particular have millions invested in and riding on these players. We're supposed to believe that he has anything less than the very best medical care available for these players? Why in the world would that be acceptable to this owner?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby jmooney » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:49 pm

I'm not sure I totally agree with it but, its been said by people inside the organization as well.

I though I read somewhere that Phillip Daniels was one of those people and that was going to be part of his duties ( I wish I knew where I read that). Determining what the players wanted/needed from the training and medical staff and getting it approved through management.

I think new facilities in Richmond and Ashburn are going to help in this area alot

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Scott Hirsch is clearly aiming to the be next JLC... hating seems a good launch point for a career with NFLN.

Done.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:46 pm

I don't know the guy, but I thought it was an interesting read. Westcoaster here.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:01 am

riggofan wrote:Yeah I'm just not buying this. The Redskins and Dan Snyder in particular have millions invested in and riding on these players. We're supposed to believe that he has anything less than the very best medical care available for these players? Why in the world would that be acceptable to this owner?

Why would it be acceptable to Snyder?!? He's the same guy that hired Cerrato, not once but twice.

As for the injuries, hard to say without more comments from actual players or people in the now. However, we've had issues with the training/medical staff before, like when we were hit hard with hamstring injuries a few years ago, so there certainly could be something to it.
Suck and Luck

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:10 am

I can understand some thinking or wanting to make out like there's got to be something wrong with our conditioning or our strength coaches or our medical staff

I'm just not even close to thinking that's worth wasting much time about ... :twisted:

but then again - I don't believe in UFOs or aliens either and there's a LOT MORE evidence to back up those theories :lol:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:27 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
riggofan wrote:Yeah I'm just not buying this. The Redskins and Dan Snyder in particular have millions invested in and riding on these players. We're supposed to believe that he has anything less than the very best medical care available for these players? Why in the world would that be acceptable to this owner?

Why would it be acceptable to Snyder?!? He's the same guy that hired Cerrato, not once but twice.

So you think his terrible relationship with Vinny Cerrato means it acceptable to Dan Snyder to have bad doctors providing bad medical care to his players? That's what you just wrote.

I mean, you're free to make that case, but its not a very good argument. I hired a guy to clean my gutters twice who ended up robbing my house. Not sure that means I will continually go to the same doctors for bad medical care.

Say what you want about Snyder, he's not cheap. I don't have much concern that our medical staff is the best money can buy.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:43 am

I think this is more a product of being a losing team for so long. Thin at multiple positions. I think this team wants to win so badly, that too often we listen to the player. The player will always say they can go. And, if we had more depth or believed we could win without the front line guys, then maybe the team would take a harder stance and be more patient. But, we don't.

The question that I have is when do they get the message? Malcolm Kelly, Chase Minnifield. Those guys needed to be on IR before putting them out there.

Laron is a different case. He's a physical freak, and maybe it's only a matter of time before this heel blows up. Perhaps surgery is the right diagnosis, but he's just relying on his other enhanced muscles to compensate. Who knows.

I think it's more an issue of depth or a lack of it. We have a lot of injuries seemingly every year. But, so does everyone else. The GB Packers lost 8 Starters the year they won the Superbowl. Our issue is our injuries make it hard for us to win games.

I find it hard to believe that the training staff as a whole is inept though. That would include the Strength & Conditioning team, the Trainers & and the Doctors. I can't see how ALL of them could be deficient. But who knows.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

G4L

The Washington Injuries

Postby Gibbs4Life » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:06 pm

We should change our name to the Washington Injuries. I want to know WHY every year we suffer multiple season ending team devastating injuries, and it seems the more $ a player makes the higher likelihood he will go down. You know who won't get hurt this year? Alfred Morris because he needs to get P A I D. Our training staff must suck and our conditioning is not on point & I hope we have strong injured clauses.
HAIL

**ch44

Re: The Washington Injuries

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:33 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:We should change our name to the Washington Injuries. I want to know WHY every year we suffer multiple season ending team devastating injuries, and it seems the more $ a player makes the higher likelihood he will go down. You know who won't get hurt this year? Alfred Morris because he needs to get P A I D. Our training staff must suck and our conditioning is not on point & I hope we have strong injured clauses.

Every team has big injuries. The better teams can keep winning with depth
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Re: The Washington Injuries

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:43 pm

^ This is true and we are building depth. We were so far behind others, that we are now surviving because of depth. We are younger and getting there.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football