Coaches film

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Bengals game

This was a very up and down game. They would play well and then not so much. On Defense, they were mostly in man with a single high safety. They are really struggling with nickel as the third corner is often an easy target. They're usually bringing the safety over top of the bad matchup which is often away from Wilson. Again played mostly zone in the red zone...most likely because of how short we are, and the field is smaller and easier to cover with less talent.

The starting front three on defense is pretty solid. Nothing flashy, but against the run, there are very few holes. They can't get the pressure that you would like, but they are very tough against the run. Often I find Fletcher as the second guy to the tackle where as every other year he was the first. My conclusion on this is that it has more to do with fact that the front three and Kerrigan were so stout, that Fletch didn't have to clean up as much, than him losing a step. Fletch and Riley had very good games. No coverage lapses like against the Rams. Kerrigan is simply the best defender we have, by a long shot. The guy is everywhere. It is really awesome to see, and he is such a good person to boot. Very excited to see this young man play for 8-10 years in burgundy and gold. Jackson had a very good game in the place of Rak, but he did miss contain a couple times. But he also had a few awesome plays when he came off blocks and crack backs to make tackles for loss and even picked up an interception and TD...by the way, guess who caused the errant pass...Kerrigan. Very good game.

The DB's had a mixed day. I continued to be disappointed with DJ. He just either doesn't get it yet, or doesn't have the talent. If this keeps up, he will be gone next year. When they bliz him, he often gets hit by the RB and just folds to the ground. One time, he gets pancaked and Dalton escapes through his hole and hits Green for a 15 yard first down. If they put a blocker on him, he's never able to get away. When playing outside contain, he let the reverse to the flanker break contain on the long first down run to extend a drive. Griffen was victim multiple times before he got injured. In nickel, he was almost victimized on a 40 yard pass where he was totally out of position and Williams and Hall are both yelling at him about it. He is a big liability. Williams was alright. Made some good tackles when he had the edge. Also cleaned up a lot of blown coverage plays. He's not a problem. I personally like Hall. He's alway willing to tackle. They throw on him a lot and he does give up yards, but I like his toughness. Wilson has got to get a hand on the WR on the cover 0 knowing the QB is going to get hit in less than 2 seconds. He didn't, played off, and it was an easy out pattern...missed tackle for a TD.

On Offense, I am more and more impressed with Kory, Monty and Chester. These guys are pretty solid on the run and pass. They often can pass blocks off and get to the next level. Really impressive. Trent is simply a must play player. Even a hobbled Williams is twice as good as Black. Polumbus is hot and cold. He really had a tough time with the DE. Missed a few blocks on pass plays, and was average on run plays. Made a few good blocks, and missed a few. This offense is pretty legit though, all things considered. Morris is gonna be a beast. This guy is so awesome to zone in on when he runs. He is so tough. Often he just plows through like 3 or 4 defenders. One time he plowed through 5 defenders for a 10 yard play right up the middle. You lost him in the crowd of people and like a train coming through a tunnel, there was Morris churning his legs for another 5 yards with defenders all over him. The zone read with Banks in the backfield is deadly and I could see that being used in must win games. Shannahan pulled every formation out of his hat to try and win this one. Pretty solid play calling to get the lead back almost twice. Griffen was so so in the first quarter and really got going after a first down scramble, and then took the game over with 5 minutes to play. It is so impressive to see this guy get hot. There's only one other guy I have ever watched this closely that could take over a game like he did on those last two drives and that was MJ.

On to the Bucs
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:48 pm

Nice breakdown.

Do you think it's safe to say that most of our secondary issues are on Gomes? It sounds like replacing him with a decent player will plug a majorly exploited hole and give our defense more options with blitzing and coverage.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Hooligan wrote:Nice breakdown.

Do you think it's safe to say that most of our secondary issues are on Gomes? It sounds like replacing him with a decent player will plug a majorly exploited hole and give our defense more options with blitzing and coverage.

I don't think it's ever ONE person, but I think replacing him is a must. When you lose a playmaker for the season like Rak, teams are able to more easily expose your weakest link...which I which we have a couple of in the secondary. DJ played last year, but wasn't ready to start. He was forced into starting duty this year. The coaches realize he is not ready. I hope he succeeds, but I think he was replaced this past game against the Bucs which isn't a good sign. I came into this really liking this kid. I really want him to succeed as well, but I don't think he's ready. I also think Hall has been playing off more than some do at that position and Griffen is just bad.
Miss you 21

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Bucs game

This game ended up being much closer than it should have been. We played well on defense and offense.

On defense, seems as though the benching of Gomes really went a long way in shoring up some of the problems, along with not having Griffen available. They moved Hall to the outside on nickel and playing Crawford inside. Each of the DB's had a deep pass completed on them, but overall, played pretty well, and there was a pretty good reason for each of them. Hall had one against him that was flat out an awesome pitch and catch. He had excellent coverage. One he was playing off too much though. Wilson had a back shoulder pass completed against him, and those are extremely tough, but he needs to learn to play it better. He also was victim of a bad no call push off. Crawford has got to play the inside slant better. He had one completed against him in this game. Same play that went for a TD a couple weeks ago against him. He is much better, I feel, than Griffen though and would rather see Hall on the outside the rest of the year. He plays too far off those slot receivers and they're too quick inside for him to hang close. Doughty is a much bigger upgrade over Gomes at this point. Williams is slow to give help on the back end, like the TD to Jackson, where there was no one else for him to cover BUT give over the top help to Hall. Easy catch considering Hall was playing underneath. He also was late in helping the deep ball against Wilson that went for a BIG gain. If he just made the tackle after arriving late, he would of prevented an additional 25 YAC. Riley had one miscue in coverage this week and it could have been a big gainer. Freeman didn't see the open man. Gohlston is a liability in run defense. He does do a decent job of picking up the screen though. Worthington is pretty solid against the run. Sure miss Carriker and Chris Neild. Kerigan again continues to impress. Batted down balls, sacks, tackles for loss, screen pass pick ups...the guy is everywhere. Seems like they prefer zone in long distance situations. They played primarily single high safety man under most of the game.

On offense, it is really fun to watch this unit when clicking. Morgan is becoming a favorite of mine. He is always blocking extremely well, catching almost everything, and always the first to help up his teammate after the play. He sealed the block on the TD run by Morris, sealed the block on the 20 yard run by Morris, and multiple other 10-15 yarders. Garçon is fun to watch as well. He is always trying to get a block on and most of the time successful. He is very physical and always pushing or prodding someone near the pile after the play. VERY intense player. Watch Morgan and I think you'll be impressed. Morris, run with reckless abandon. He is very impressive. Always hitting the right hole and no wasted steps. His TD run was simply awesome. Young is a great receiver out of the backfield, twice providing an outlet for Griffen and picking up major yards. Moss continues to move the chains by doing the little things. Along with the impressive blocking by the WR's, Hankerson is getting better, and looks like Morgan is rubbing off on him. Davis is just a beast and Paul is getting better. His speed helps seal the edge on many plays.

So glad Cundiff is gone. This shouldn't have even been close and he singlehandedly almost lost the game for us.

On to the Falcons.
Miss you 21

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Falcoms Game

Oh man was this disappointing to watch again. We really outplayed them for most if not all the game. On defense, Haslett did a very good job confusing Matt Ryan. He mixed up coverages and players very often and it worked. The Falcons only scored 7 points when Griffen was knocked out. I have been thinking this for a while but our LB's and Safeties do not do a very good job of disguising themselves. Not sure if that's on the players, the coaches or more time need in the system. They often bail or indicate a blitz BEFORE the snap which often helps the QB. As for our safeties, that may be talent, and for our younger LB's that may be time in the system thing. Anyway, Pugh did a VERY good job of disguising himself. He came up to the line and stayed in his spot for almost a full second after the snap and then bailed to cover the deep over. Ryan often just bailed from his side of the field because he couldn't figure out where he was headed. This must have been the game he got hurt, because he was not in for most of the 2nd half, and it made a big difference as he started figuring out how to play the call. Gomes is just a liability in there. I cringe everytime I see him in. He can't cover, he is an average run stopper and a terrible blitzer, literally a hand is all it takes to have him stop rushing. On one play he was trailing his man in coverage, knocked Wilson out of the way and then screen Williams from knocking the ball away from the receiver. Luckily the ball was dropped. This guy is gone after the year. Crawford is getting better. Many of the mistakes he made earlier in the year like allowing his man to get in the seam for big plays, he is now jamming at the line and right on his hip in caverage. Good to see. Daughty is not the most talented in the NFL...not by a long shot, but the guy brings it every play and is not afraid to stick his neck in and deliver a blow. He stuffed a few Turner runs for no gain on very crucial plays. He was late on a pass or two, but he is what he is. Bowen is a stud. They are often doubling him on the line, and one time, fought through it and made a crucial 2nd down stop. Cofield plays well too. He got a sack when the Falcons were driving to take the lead, then knocked down the 3rd down pass to force a FG. This was a game the defence did not lose. They were tough, and at the end, just ran out of gas. I believe they were on the field for a ton of plays that game and Turner started churning up yards. Really came down to losing Pugh and Griffen...not in that order. I absolutely think we were the better team on this day.

Morris is just a stud RB. This guy has such great vision. What a homerun of a pick. You can tell the difference as well between Royster and Morris. Royster runs into a lineman at the second level on one play, where if Morris was in the game, he would have turned it into a TD. He and Grif are going to be so fun to watch mature together. Again, such great blocking by Morgan and Garcon and Davis. Davis is just a beast. The guy was catching everything, many 3rd down and long balls and sealed the edge so many times. Gonna be missed for sure. Trent is so fun to watch. The guy is such a stud and crushes people with a hand as he is rumbling down the field. I think this was the game he was playing injured as well. What a great player.

Anyway, I'm trying to catch up to theGiants game this week, so I'll be back soon. Any other analysis out there?
Miss you 21

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:36 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:Oh man was this disappointing to watch again. We really outplayed them for most if not all the game. On defense, Haslett did a very good job confusing Matt Ryan. He mixed up coverages and players very often and it worked. The Falcons only scored 7 points when Griffen was knocked out.

I thought Haslett called a very good scheme against the Falcons. Haz usually game plans well against the better teams.

I have been thinking this for a while but our LB's and Safeties do not do a very good job of disguising themselves. Not sure if that's on the players, the coaches or more time need in the system. They often bail or indicate a blitz BEFORE the snap which often helps the QB.

I 100% with you on this one. I have placed it on the Haz and a little bit on the players. There is one blitz that almost always works but is rarely used. That is the Fletcher looping into the hole cleared over the center by the nose guard. The rest of the blitzes seemed to be just as you described above.

Why I place a little on the players is Landry seemed to get there no matter what the scheme was. I wonder if he freelanced to have the successes that he had. Also the aggressive way that he plays made a difference.

Gomes is just a liability in there. I cringe everytime I see him in. He can't cover, he is an average run stopper and a terrible blitzer, literally a hand is all it takes to have him stop rushing. On one play he was trailing his man in coverage, knocked Wilson out of the way and then screen Williams from knocking the ball away from the receiver. Luckily the ball was dropped. This guy is gone after the year.

On the 53 thread, I was clammoring for Gomes to be cut them he had a big game in the preseason and I changed my mind. Well, in the regular season, when it counts, I agree that he is gone after the season.

Bowen is a stud. They are often doubling him on the line, and one time, fought through it and made a crucial 2nd down stop. Cofield plays well too. He got a sack when the Falcons were driving to take the lead, then knocked down the 3rd down pass to force a FG. This was a game the defence did not lose. They were tough, and at the end, just ran out of gas. I believe they were on the field for a ton of plays that game and Turner started churning up yards. Really came down to losing Pugh and Griffen...not in that order. I absolutely think we were the better team on this day.

When it comes to the run the line is stout. When it comes to the pass, the NT and DEs primary purpose is to keep the LBs free. I think that they are doing their jobs. The blitz and the OLBs are the ones that are supposed to be pressuring the QB. That isn't happening much. Again, I blame Haz's blitzing schemes. Again, for the things you noted in your post. As far as personnel. Kerrigan seems like a 10 sack guy and that is what Rak is. Right now, we are not making up Rak's production, but Rak's production really isn't enough. We lack a dominant guy like Ware or Harrison.

Morris is just a stud RB. This guy has such great vision. What a homerun of a pick. You can tell the difference as well between Royster and Morris. Royster runs into a lineman at the second level on one play, where if Morris was in the game, he would have turned it into a TD. He and Grif are going to be so fun to watch mature together. Again, such great blocking by Morgan and Garcon and Davis. Davis is just a beast. The guy was catching everything, many 3rd down and long balls and sealed the edge so many times. Gonna be missed for sure. Trent is so fun to watch. The guy is such a stud and crushes people with a hand as he is rumbling down the field. I think this was the game he was playing injured as well. What a great player.

I agree with all that.

My puzzlement is with Haz as noted in my posts. He games plans so well against the top teams, but seems to go back to his aggressive blitzkrieg with the lesser teams and makes our D look worse than it is. In the Viking game, he scaled back the blitzes some (can't wait to read your analysis on this game) and the Giant's I thought he game plan was good as it always is against the Giants. I do give hm credit for a very good plan agains the Falcons.

Anyway, I'm trying to catch up to theGiants game this week, so I'll be back soon. Any other analysis out there?

I don't have the All-22, so I can't break it down, but your analysis with it, is what I believed happened in this game - thanks for your posts.
Last edited by Red_One43 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:26 pm

Was wondering if you had any insight on safety responsibilities on the bomb to Cruz. On TV it looked like he lined up over Cruz but tried to cover 2 guys and ended up covering neither.

Anything?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby the poster » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:09 pm

one could watch the "turning point" series on You Tube which breaks down some of the play calling strategy. 3 Redskins games have been featured.

For example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEM_03cRf7g

can someone explain what Madieu Williams is doing at 3:17. That guy is TERRIBLE. He's not starting caliber. He's not even backup caliber. That guy, singlehandedly, has really screwed your season up. Game after game.

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Was wondering if you had any insight on safety responsibilities on the bomb to Cruz. On TV it looked like he lined up over Cruz but tried to cover 2 guys and ended up covering neither.

Anything?

Be back soon on that
Miss you 21

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Just read this article that could be placed right here in this conversation...looks like a little bit coaching, and a little bit talent.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins- ... le/2511686
Miss you 21

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:38 am

chiefhog44 wrote:Just read this article that could be placed right here in this conversation...looks like a little bit coaching, and a little bit talent.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins- ... le/2511686

But they always could opt to make it simple. However, one NFL source said the Redskins are wedded to their current philosophy. Also, with their pass rush not being consistent enough, their hope is that by changing looks they can perhaps force the quarterback to hesitate more. That could mean the difference between a sack and a completion.

Had Williams played the pass vs. New York even a little better -- had he reacted and dropped a few yards at the snap -- then Manning would have been sacked since end Stephen Bowen hit him as he threw.

This is what I have been harping on for weeks - simplify the defense to fit the talent level

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football