Begining of a long decline

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Begining of a long decline

Postby suud_yetmae » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Where is Bobby Beathard when you need him :?: Seems like the skins slide began when Beathard left. The string of GM's have been dismal at best since his departure.

swine

Re: Begining of a long decline

Postby masterkwon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:40 pm

suud_yetmae wrote:Where is Bobby Beathard when you need him :?: Seems like the skins slide began when Beathard left. The string of GM's have been dismal at best since his departure.

Get use to it as long as Tiny is the owner.

Postby suud_yetmae » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:43 pm

LOL Sad but true. That's a fact

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:32 pm

masterkwon wrote:
suud_yetmae wrote:Where is Bobby Beathard when you need him :?: Seems like the skins slide began when Beathard left. The string of GM's have been dismal at best since his departure.

The decline started long before Snyder tok over!

Casserly was a complete failure as a GM.

The 91 Super bowl was with almost all Bobby Beatherd's players.

I feal better now about the direction of the team than I have in a time since the 93.

Think about this, Shanahan wil be in his fifth year as a head coach before he gets a normal off season. Season 1 he had the "uncapped" year when all the young free agents couldn't go anywhere because of uncapped year rules. Season 2 was the lock out, FA right training camp and no off season workouts. Season 3 & 4 are the Mara cap hits. Season 5, hopefully will be normal!

There hasn't been a HC in NFL history that has had their first four off seasons dramatically altered like that. Sure ever NFL HC had to deal with the same thing Shanny did in seasons 1 & 2 but how many were new to their team? How many were taking over a 4 & 12 team? Off course the Skins were the only team to take $18M cap hits in back to back years. The $5M that Dallass took was bad, but it is much more manageable than $18M!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby SkinsHead56 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:47 pm

yeah this is the excact crap so called "fans" have after a lss like this. so yea we shoul fire bruce & shanahan, we should cut hall, trade orakpo, fred davis, & t williams, we should change. oue uniforms and move to LA. maybe then you would see sunny mornings. this team is still rebuilding like it or not. shanny gets 2 more years if we're lucky.....then this tree will bear fruit.
In memorium Sean Taylor 1983-2007 R.I.P.

Long live the Legend of "Meast".

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:48 pm

Griffin, Morris, Williams, Davis, Garcon, Kerrigan, Orakpo, Jenkins, Riley, Fletcher. When we wake up tomorrow we have our franchise QB and 2/3 of the other teams in the league are looking and will be looking for a long time for one. The glass is half full. If folks thought this team was competing for a Superbowl this year that was not reality.

The defensive regression is a big disappointment, but with injuries + players expected to perform that are not, it is very explainable.

These things don't turn around overnight and the most important piece is in place, RGIII.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:53 pm

The biggest issue on this team is it's secondary. If you get one quality safety and a quality corner this offseason then with the players we have, we have depth all of a sudden.

I think the drops today were an abomination. Something that happened and we'll have to get over it. I think that Hankerson needs to step up the rest of the season and show what he can do. Also, I think we were trying to showcase Briscoe for trade bait. Given a rash of injuries in the NFL, we might get something for him. Would be nice if it could be a younger safety or corner but I doubt it.

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 am

Not every team can have an excellent secondary, but it is possible to have a decent secondary that you make look excellent with your front 7. Unfortunately, we lost Orakpo and, I think more importantly Carriker, in addition to having what DBs we do have routinely injured (or out on suspension). It would be great if this no-name crew of defensive backs could step up and play awesome, but how much can they really do when the opposing QB doesn't get hit at all? Even *sh$t* receivers could get open with that much time (and they don't have *sh$t* receivers). I'm more concerned about the way they ran on us.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:11 am

What decline is anyone seeing?

Do people forget how terrible we were last year???
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:37 am

ATX_Skins wrote:What decline is anyone seeing?

Do people forget how terrible we were last year???

I'm with you man. People are absolute crazy around here. I know it sucks to lose on Sunday, but you may have noticed the Steelers are a pretty good football team.

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:53 am

I didn't see the game. Stupid Smeagles and Falcons were on down here in the Deep South. But, the stats would say that we were improved on D. We held Big Ben to like 222 yds passing. That is the first time we have allowed less than 300 this season, I think. I know the run D shut down, and that may be why they didn't have to pass as much. Not sure how the attempts for Ben were compared to other games. Just my observation.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:03 am

Mississippi Hog wrote:I didn't see the game. Stupid Smeagles and Falcons were on down here in the Deep South. But, the stats would say that we were improved on D. We held Big Ben to like 222 yds passing. That is the first time we have allowed less than 300 this season, I think. I know the run D shut down, and that may be why they didn't have to pass as much. Not sure how the attempts for Ben were compared to other games. Just my observation.

Definitely a case where stats aren't telling the story. I don't think the Steelers had to punt until like the last minute of the first half. Kind of did whatever they wanted that entire first half. That Dwyer guy ran all over our guys. And Roethlisburger didn't really have to put up big passes. He picked us the D apart, especially down in the red zone.

They may have been a little better in the second, but we were already in a pretty big hole.

I can't stand the Steelers, but gotta give them credit. They're still a quality team, not like losing to the Rams.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:32 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
masterkwon wrote:

The decline started long before Snyder tok over!

Casserly was a complete failure as a GM.

The 91 Super bowl was with almost all Bobby Beatherd's players.

I feal better now about the direction of the team than I have in a time since the 93.

Think about this, Shanahan wil be in his fifth year as a head coach before he gets a normal off season. Season 1 he had the "uncapped" year when all the young free agents couldn't go anywhere because of uncapped year rules. Season 2 was the lock out, FA right training camp and no off season workouts. Season 3 & 4 are the Mara cap hits. Season 5, hopefully will be normal!

There hasn't been a HC in NFL history that has had their first four off seasons dramatically altered like that. Sure ever NFL HC had to deal with the same thing Shanny did in seasons 1 & 2 but how many were new to their team? How many were taking over a 4 & 12 team? Off course the Skins were the only team to take $18M cap hits in back to back years. The $5M that Dallass took was bad, but it is much more manageable than $18M!

The decline obviously started before Danny boy took over, Before Danny we had JKC -- who was one of the best owners in football. It wasn't until his brain went that the team declined. His son wasn't the owner JKC was; that's no secret -- but I would have taken him over little danny boy. And now lets be honest with one another: Danny has made the skins a laughing stock within the NFL. Not sure where you are from but go 250 miles (maybe less) outside of DC and tell someone in another media market that you are a skins fan --- the typical response: laughter..... "I'm sorry, man". This is my world. I get this response 80% (conservatively)of the time --- literally.

Agree that Casserly was horrendous. Still not as bad as Danny/Vinny but bad. Correction though: the 91 team was with ALL of Beatherds players. Yet, each time Casserly is announced on NFL Network it is: "and we have SB NFL GM, Charlie Casserly reporting". I almost :puke: everytime I hear it. As a man, I don't understand how someone can literally sit there smiling as you take credit for another mans hard work and smart decisions -- but Casserly seems happy to do it without hesitation.

I also feel better about the direction of the team more than any other year but that is because of 2 things:
1) Because THAT ISN'T SAYING MUCH:
- WE'VE MADE THE PLAYOFFS 3 TIMES IN 20 YEARS (or since the 1994 season). ONLY THE BROWNS HAVE LESS APPEARANCES IN THIS TIME PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!
- ONLY CINCY HAS A LONGER AFC/NFC CHAMPIONSHIP DROUGHT.
- HAVEN'T WON THE DIVISION IN 12 YEARS; ONLY THE BILLS, BROWNS AND DET ARE LONGER
2) because we finally have a QB in RGIII. He is unreal. I just hope our FO is adequate enough to put the right people around him. After seeing how thin this team is, I am beginning to question our GM BA. We are now in our 4th season, while progress is being shown, I would have expected more by this point.

With regards to your statements about MS and his "normal" seasons ---- all I read were excuses. Good coaches make things work regardless of the situation. Those literally had nothing to do with MS's ability (or inability) to coach a team. Excuses are for LOSERS. Plain and simple. They are things losers say to feel better about themselves or to convince themselves that their inability to succeed wasn't really their fault but something much bigger and outside of their control. ALL successful people overcome adversity. Adversity is not foreign to winners. After all, outside of the Mara cap hits (and somehow during those offseason we were able to make big signings -- see Garcon), all the other successful teams/coaches somehow managed throught the tough lockout and cap/uncapped seasons...... For example, when Sean Taylors was killed did Gibbs use this as an excuse to feel sorry for the team and throw in the towel? No, he was able to overcome that adversity and win 4 consecutive games. Gibbs use ST's passing as something to inspire the team instead of feeling sorry for himself and allowing the team to sulk and fade away. So --- I'm not buying what you are selling. Leave the excuse making for the CLE and OAK.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby HarleyHog » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:34 am

I live in Northern California, and I typically get responses like "right on, RGIII!" Or "wow man, you guys lost a LOT of key players" but have NEVER had any negative crappy unless it was a pie/iggle/gnat fan. You can call the franchise a laughingstock, but outside the beltway and talking pumpkinhead pundits, I don't see it. Danny did put his finger in the fan, but he learned his lesson and has been good(and patient)

Everybody pretty much played sloppy except Sir III, in pouring rain, against a perennial playoff caliber team with a top 5/10 QB. Fletcher missed tackles on a couple of big runs. Does he suck? Moss dropped passes, does he? The goat grope snowballed, we nerd to move on. To me , it seems like we need to fix the secondary(do-able), get back key IR starters(hopefully do-able) and not read so much into our depth players not being top notch starters. The playing time makes them better.
Last edited by HarleyHog on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:36 am

Wow, eight games before we start getting these whining threads with no other point then that we're stupid and we suck. That's definite progress.

So that's all you're seeing on the field right now? Seriously?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football