What is the most important cause for the DEFENSE collapse?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Lack of Draft and Free Agency effort by the FO
2%
Injuries and suspensions
22%
Poor 3-4 implementation & game planning by J. Hasleet
40%
Poor execution by an inept and incompetent bunch
20%
Cap penalty imposed by Mara & his puppet goddahell
16%

Total votes : 45
~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:32 pm

We have the WORST defense I can recall in my history as a Skins fan since 1969. Skins are on their way to have the WORST pass defense in the history of the NFL with +5,000 yards allowed.

Something or someone has to be MOST responsible for this catastrophe. A combination of several factors may be responsible. I include in the Poll ALL of the reasons in my mind behind this collapse. So, my answer would be a combination of all. But I am interested to hear you all to highlight WHICH is the MOST important. What is your view?
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:50 pm

to me the 2 choices are almost the same

It's not all Haslett but he's in charge

the injuries are a bit of a factor but we should not be this bad

the front 7 are OK but could use some depth - then again, who couldn't

the secondary is inept but they 'look' even worse because IMO Haslett has not devised a way to get even a little pressure from his front 7

any pressure or threat of pressure helps even a bad secondary - offensive play callers on opposing teams are telling the QB that they will have a lot of time - "the Redskins front 7 will not be able to pressure you ..."
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Robert Griffin III

The skins are puting up more points so teams are going to the air to keep up or to stay ahead of the skins. The D is just as bad as it has been and really needs around 5 real starters ovrall to be good

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Out of that list I have to go with Injuries and suspensions.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:26 pm

I haven't voted yet but I agree with ch1 and the whole notion that going 3-4 was a mistake. It set us back a number of years and most of the league was already there meaning there was more 4-3 talent available as all the 3-4 guys were being used/drafted. The Pats are an example of a team that goes against trends this way.

I'd love to be playing 4-3 with guys like Cofield as part of a tackle/end rotation instead of nose, etc.

Now that we are where we are I think the combo of cap penalty and Haz has us in a bad way. Crazily we have had some good efforts. The really terrible crime is to get beaten deep as often as we do. To me that is coaching. "Keep it in front of you" has to be a "my way or the highway" mantra.

? Can we shore this up in a year and can we do it with Haz?

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:18 pm

I think the cap penalty was a big deal, as it hurt our depth. If we hadn't had the injuries and suspensions we've had though, especially losing Rak and Carriker from the front 7, I think we'd have been OK (that is, just barely competent).

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:24 pm

Lack of a pass rush (so Rak's injury), last year with a similar secondary our defense racked up 40 + plus sacks to aid them. This year, there's no pass rush and the secondary is getting torched.

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:55 pm

We knew going in that defensive backs were a problem.

Same with O-Line and WR.

My money is on the cap penalty. I think it really restricted some of our moves.

The injuries sure as hell aren't helping.

I also have to agree with the sentiment that RGIII is a contributing factor. Running up the score on Rex Grossman was unnecessary; but with Griffin, you gotta bury him as deep as you can as early as you can. Most of our opponents have been playing from behind, so they have to air it out against the weakest part of our defense.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:06 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:We knew going in that defensive backs were a problem.

Same with O-Line and WR.

My money is on the cap penalty. I think it really restricted some of our moves.

The injuries sure as hell aren't helping.

I also have to agree with the sentiment that RGIII is a contributing factor. Running up the score on Rex Grossman was unnecessary; but with Griffin, you gotta bury him as deep as you can as early as you can. Most of our opponents have been playing from behind, so they have to air it out against the weakest part of our defense.

This is true but also, playing the Skins defense which is similar but not as good, also played in the hands of Pittsburgh.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:07 pm

Oops duplicate

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:38 pm

You can add stupidly letting Carlos Rogers go. I know he didn't want to be here, but he was the only competent member of our secondary at that time.....and now we get to see what having ZERO competent secondary people looks like.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:48 pm

John Keim on Simplifying the Defense like the Steelers
Talked to a very knowledgeable NFL guy after the game and his point summed up some differences between the teams. The Redskins and Steelers run the same defense, right? Well, this person said that’s true only to a point. The Steelers are much more basic on early downs and it shows in their execution. While they will change things up and they will blitz a lot, most of their so-called exotic looks come on third down. They rarely learn anything new. It’s a major key to why they execute so well. That, and having a top nose tackle in Casey Hampton – who had major penetration early in the game to cause a loss. This person didn’t think either secondary was anything special and actually thought the Redskins front three was better. But they have Hampton. The Steelers also have a big front and did a good job diagnosing plays and causing problems. The Redskins hit them a couple times but could not stick with the run because of the score. I did like how physical the Steelers played them; probably more than any other D this year. I will say, Alfred Morris matched their physical style. I have a feeling he likes that sort of game.

I voted for poor implementation of the 3-4 and poor scheme planning by Haz.

The primary reason for the poor implementation is pointed out in the above quote by John Keim. Too complicated!

Also, there is a personnel issue other than the secondary. The coaches seemed content with making Cofield a NT - As Keim points out, you need a true NT to be a dominant 3-4.

What I am not saying is it has been all bad with Haz. There are some games that he has confused the stuffing out of other teams, but in other games, I feel he has confused his own players. Thus the inconsistentcy in the performance of the D.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 pm

My vote went to:

Poor execution by an inept and incompetent bunch

But I am surprised nobody blames the FO for not grabbing somebody to help in the secondary.

In hindsight ... would I have wanted a good safety or CB instead of Kirk Cousins? In light of the current desperate situation, YES.

It is possible that there were no great safeties or CBs at 4th pick. I do not remember but my goodness ... we are terrible at those positions. Terrible.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 pm

It falls on Shanahan and Haslett. Shanahan decided to hire Haslett, switch to the 3-4, and he's in charge of personnel moves. It's basically becoming a repeat of what got him fired in Denver, an unbalanced team with a good offense and a terrible defense. Haslett's in charge of the game plan and getting these guys to understand/execute the defense. Obviously we have some issues with depth and talent, but we should not be this bad.
Suck and Luck

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:14 pm

cvillehog wrote:I think the cap penalty was a big deal, as it hurt our depth. If we hadn't had the injuries and suspensions we've had though, especially losing Rak and Carriker from the front 7, I think we'd have been OK (that is, just barely competent).

I don't think those two would make much difference. Our D is too poor to improve much even with the addition of two good players in the front seven.
Two good players in the secondary might help.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football