What is the most important cause for the DEFENSE collapse?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

What is the most important cause for the DEFENSE collapse?

Lack of Draft and Free Agency effort by the FO
1
2%
Injuries and suspensions
10
22%
Poor 3-4 implementation & game planning by J. Hasleet
18
40%
Poor execution by an inept and incompetent bunch
9
20%
Cap penalty imposed by Mara & his puppet goddahell
7
16%
 
Total votes : 45
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Deadskins wrote:I voted injuries and suspensions, but it's not like the defense was stellar in 2010 and 2011. Look back at the post game threads from the last two years, and there were plenty of complaints about the defense giving up game winning drives. Now, I personally think a lot of that had to do with an inept offense that had the D on the field way too often after three and outs, and the D being just too tired to stop the opposition. But the D bent and broke way too often in the past as well.


Excellent point! I think we did give the D too much of an excuse because the inept offense.

This year's D has 7 out of 11 starters that started against the Steelers. Eight if you count Doughty who is starting now and was a part time starter last year. Eight starters from a D that finished just outside the top 10 last year, should be enough to be keep the D respectable. Looking at 2010 and 11, we are seeing some of the same systematic problems in 2012.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:59 pm

For comparison purposes:
The Colts defense, however, hasn’t recovered while he’s been gone. They have just three sacks in Mathis’ absence, with Dwight Freeney struggling to play through a sprained ankle.

They also have just three takeaways on the season, a number which can be traced back to the lack of a pass-rush. Every other team in the league has at least seven, and their franchise low was 17 last year.


Looking at the stats below, one can see that the Colts has similar issues as our D, yet they are not experiencing the horrid performances that our D is experiencing. Injuries are a problems for the skins as with any team, but the Colts and other teams, make due. After the first two years, the excuses are gone. This is a coaching problem and since it is similar to the problems that Shanny had toward the end of his Bronco run, I would have to say that he shares the most of the blame with Haz.

*The Colts had serious cap issues in putting their roster together.
*Robert Mathis has been out for three games
*Freeney is struggling to learn the OLB and has an injured ankle
*They are in their first year transitioning to the 3-4 (Haz made the 3 year excuse)
*They have no pass rush.
*They have three take aways on the season (We have 4 defensive TDs)
*They are ranked 19th in total Defense (We are ranked 19th)
*They are 11th in points per game ( 24.4). (We are 5th with 28.4 ppg)
*The Colts are 4-3 beat 2 winning teams (Pack and Vikes) Skins are 3-5 beat 1 winning team (Vikes)
*Common Opponent - Vikes: Colts D - 327 yrds and 20 points Redskins D - 421 yrds and 26 points
Colts O has 13 turnovers Redskin O has 9 turnovers (Redskin O has been more helpful to the D than the Colts.

Link ="They have just three sacks..."
Last edited by Red_One43 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthMonk
Online
Posts: 4261
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:59 pm

This isn't very scientific but it seems like we teach a bunch of scheme but not much technique.

So

... a guy is in position but gets run over/through trying to make an arm tackle = doesn't really know how to tackle.

... a guy is open and drops the ball = doesn't really know how to catch.

... a guy lines up as the over man on a double team and lets a WR behind him in the blink of an eye = doesn't really know how to turn his hips.

... a guy comes free on a blitz and whiffs = doesn't really know how to break down with a stutter step.

Good thing Griff's dad taught him how to throw from all arm slots while sitting in a chair. Dude was born to coach.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Darrell Green talks about the problems with the secondary:
“In my humble opinion, you’re seeing a lack of skill development. We’re not talking about ‘Can they do it?’ We’re not saying, ‘Can they play?’ But I think that there’s a lost art of people knowing how to teach you how to do what you’re supposed to do,” Green said before Sunday’s game. “I think that the league lacks that, and in my opinion that’s what they’re lacking here. I know some of these kids, and I know that they can do it. But when I watch, I go ‘Wow, he doesn’t even know.’”

Sounds like a coaching issue to me.

tribe
Posts: 6111
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:05 am

Red_One43 wrote:Darrell Green talks about the problems with the secondary:
“In my humble opinion, you’re seeing a lack of skill development. We’re not talking about ‘Can they do it?’ We’re not saying, ‘Can they play?’ But I think that there’s a lost art of people knowing how to teach you how to do what you’re supposed to do,” Green said before Sunday’s game. “I think that the league lacks that, and in my opinion that’s what they’re lacking here. I know some of these kids, and I know that they can do it. But when I watch, I go ‘Wow, he doesn’t even know.’”

Sounds like a coaching issue to me.


Hey Mr. D Green.....go in there and coach-em-up Dude.

We'd love to have your KNOWLEDGE on the staff......... come on LIL man Danny.... call D Green and pay him some bucks
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

|||||||
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm
Location: Somewhere, out there.

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:27 am

I'll go with poor 3-4 implementation, but won't heap it all on Haslett. I'd expand by saying that it's an unnecessary 3-4 implementation. The defence really wasn't broke, so should have been left alone.

Three years later, and our defensive linemen are still better suited to a 4-3 defence. Kerrigan and Orakpo would both be better ends than linebackers.

The only reason not to switch straight back to 4-3 next season is that we don't have any outside linebackers for that system, and signing them would prevent us from improving the secondary. But honestly, at this stage, that wouldn't stop me from changing right now.

We've got players and coaches who are better suited to the 4-3 defence. The question is: do we have a head coach who can be trusted to make the right decision?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:55 pm

I mean come on, what do you expect when you have a deaf slow player playing one safety and then another slow always out of position scrub playing the other safety? Reed and Madiou are the worst safeties in the NFL period. For us to sign him and keep Reed is and was a pathetic retarded decision. At least playing Gnomes you are giving a young player experience to get better and sorry he is no more worse then the ass clowns currently starting and getting burned every week.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1643
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
markshark84 wrote:There is very little (really nothing) you can do as a DC to create unpredictability. Haz knows opponents are going to throw 75-80% of the time since it has been highly successful against this D and when you have a DL that can't apply pressure, being aggressive doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure there is anything anyone could do to make this D unpredictable outside of getting new players. He can simplify the D, but we are 8 games into the season --- the transition alone would take a couple games; it wouldn't help.


Colts DC would probably challenge you that there is little he could do to make his D unpredictable. A few posts back I posted a link with the Colts lack of talent, first year transitioning, 3-4 Defense that is ranked about 10 spots above us, but good enough to give their O some support. See Jay Gruden who said Haz has always been predictable.

Did you read the link I provided in this thread by John Keim that picked the brain of someone who knows the Steeler D and compared it to what Haz is doing? For that simplification, there is not a transition period. You simply stop trying to trying to be so confusing on every down. The Steelers run a basic package for almost every down except third. You are right changing to a 49er type 3-4 might take take time.

Sure, if Haz had better players, he would be doing better. That is true of any DC. It has been said that Ray Lewis got a couple DC's head coaching jobs. Mike Nolan probably was one when he took the Niners before Singletary. Look at Spags with NO. He was thought of as the best when he left the Giants. You know his story, but this guy with the Colts, in the his first year of a 3-4 (remember Haz's excuses in his first year with the Skins - it take three years).

The best DCs at least make their defenses respectable. There is something flawed with the way the Skins D is being run. How much blames goes where, we don't know, but we know the buck stops at Haz and then Shanny's desk.


I wasn't really arguing that Haz was not predictable, only that with a one dimensional D, it is difficult to be unpredictable. I want to be clear: I am not a huge fan of Haz and wouldn't mind seeing him gone after this year (as long as there is a good replacement on the market and we don't reach).

You are correct that the best DCs make their Ds respectable -- Haz is not one of the best DCs in the league; far from it.

In terms of the Colts --- look at who they have played. They have only played 2 good offenses -- CHI put up 41 on them; GB put up 27. They also had the bye week for GB. When you play the Jets-CLE-TENN-MIA in 4 straight games, your D will look better than they are.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15915
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:43 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:For us to sign him and keep Reed is and was a pathetic retarded decision.

I completely disagree. Reed has been the one bright spot for our DBs this year. There's a reason he's been on the team through three different coaching staffs. He's a solid player who doesn't have the gifts that most other players in the NFL have, but does his best through hustle and good fundamentals. Of course I'd rather have better players, who wouldn't? But you can't say keeping him as a backup was a pathetic, retarded decision. Cutting him would have been that.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Suck and Luck

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:Darrell Green's and Charles Mann's opinions on what the problem is with the defense:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/11/05/darrell-green-charles-mann-poor-technique-to-blame-for-redskins-defensive-struggles/


I feel like this is deserving of it's own thread. I'd hate to see it get lost in the mix. It's a fresh take on the situation and I'm inclined to believe it because it makes total sense.

The coaches we have are fine from a schematic POV. But we need people to teach technique... When you have an OL Coach switch over to DB's coach, how would he know their technique? I doubt he could. So he's teaching it? Or do they assume that the guys already know...? Sounds a lot like the regular "work force" to me. I deal with this everyday.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:For us to sign him and keep Reed is and was a pathetic retarded decision.

I completely disagree. Reed has been the one bright spot for our DBs this year. There's a reason he's been on the team through three different coaching staffs. He's a solid player who doesn't have the gifts that most other players in the NFL have, but does his best through hustle and good fundamentals. Of course I'd rather have better players, who wouldn't? But you can't say keeping him as a backup was a pathetic, retarded decision. Cutting him would have been that.


I can say that because we are still LOSERS this is the 2012 NFL not a Rudy remake. Fact is Reed wouldn't even be on any other team FACT he has consistently been burned playing safety and if you value his hustle and all that "jazz" bulk him up like Lorenzo did and have him play another position were his lack of speed isn't such a detriment.

DarthMonk
Online
Posts: 4261
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:Darrell Green's and Charles Mann's opinions on what the problem is with the defense:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/11/05/darrell-green-charles-mann-poor-technique-to-blame-for-redskins-defensive-struggles/


I feel like this is deserving of it's own thread. I'd hate to see it get lost in the mix. It's a fresh take on the situation and I'm inclined to believe it because it makes total sense.

The coaches we have are fine from a schematic POV. But we need people to teach technique... When you have an OL Coach switch over to DB's coach, how would he know their technique? I doubt he could. So he's teaching it? Or do they assume that the guys already know...? Sounds a lot like the regular "work force" to me. I deal with this everyday.


Did they read my post?

DarthMonk wrote:This isn't very scientific but it seems like we teach a bunch of scheme but not much technique.

So

... a guy is in position but gets run over/through trying to make an arm tackle = doesn't really know how to tackle.

... a guy is open and drops the ball = doesn't really know how to catch.

... a guy lines up as the over man on a double team and lets a WR behind him in the blink of an eye = doesn't really know how to turn his hips.

... a guy comes free on a blitz and whiffs = doesn't really know how to break down with a stutter step.

Good thing Griff's dad taught him how to throw from all arm slots while sitting in a chair. Dude was born to coach.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:03 pm

I also think never making Carlos Rogers go to the eye doctor shows what embeciles we have as defensive coaches. The more I read these posts the more I am convinced this whole organization needs to be canned. This also includes the owner. Daniel Snyder's biggest mistake was when he brought this team he didn't go to Annapolis and hire Ron Wolf to teach him what he needed to know to be a successful owner.

08 Champ
Posts: 13109
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:51 pm

:shock: just WOW :shock:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football