Time for this Shanahan experiment to be ended.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby oneman56 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
riggofan wrote:Yes! What we REALLY need is another coaching change. That has really worked well for us in the past.

Coaching changes haven't been our problem. Hiring the wrong coach has been the problem (ie Spurrier and Zorn). Obviously you don't want constant turnover but its equally bad to continue on with a coach that you don't think can get the job done. I'm not saying that Shanahan should be fired, but the idea for keeping him on just for the sake of continuity and because of too much turnover in the past doesn't make any real sense.

So if he's let go, who do we bring in that's a guarantee?

What kind of guarantee are you looking for ? There are no guarantees and like caneskins i'm not saying he should be fired either but his record is terrible and there's no guarantee it will improve either. Personally, I just expected to see improvement, he's personally responsible for just about every player on this roster and those players or he aren't getting it done. Either way this has to start falling on his shoulders. I want continuity but at what price? 5 and 6 win seasons aren't cutting it and although the offense has improved over last years we haven't exactly put up a ton of points on good defenses this year.

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

markshark84 wrote:
riggofan wrote:Yes! What we REALLY need is another coaching change. That has really worked well for us in the past.

+1

We have seen progress with MS. Inpatience and instability work against you when progress is actually being made. If there is no progress --- then by all means we should cut him loose right now, but there is progress being made.

When MS got here, there were literally only 3 half-decent players on this roster. Please remember that. We weren't SF when Harbaugh took over. Look at our final roster. Outside of Fletcher. Moss, and Orakpo, we had NOBODY on this team. It's almost comical in a very sad and depressing way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Washi ... nal_roster

MS had to find 52 guys to make a decent team in 3 years. That is a tall order.

If "progress" isn't leading to more wins, is it really progress? People talk about the 2009 roster like they were the 0-16 Lions, but the 2009 team did manage to win 4 games (which, admittedly, is no great feat). Still, there have been worse teams. Regardless, Shanahan took a 4-12 team and has gone 6-10, 5-11, and now looks headed for another 10+ loss season. Again, where's the progress? Being patient on a sinking ship only leaves you on the bottom of the sea.

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 pm

Mursilis wrote:
markshark84 wrote:

+1

We have seen progress with MS. Inpatience and instability work against you when progress is actually being made. If there is no progress --- then by all means we should cut him loose right now, but there is progress being made.

When MS got here, there were literally only 3 half-decent players on this roster. Please remember that. We weren't SF when Harbaugh took over. Look at our final roster. Outside of Fletcher. Moss, and Orakpo, we had NOBODY on this team. It's almost comical in a very sad and depressing way.

If "progress" isn't leading to more wins, is it really progress? People talk about the 2009 roster like they were the 0-16 Lions, but the 2009 team did manage to win 4 games (which, admittedly, is no great feat). Still, there have been worse teams. Regardless, Shanahan took a 4-12 team and has gone 6-10, 5-11, and now looks headed for another 10+ loss season. Again, where's the progress? Being patient on a sinking ship only leaves you on the bottom of the sea.

Agreed, there's little tangible progress being made. We've made some good picks with our high picks in the past few drafts but it's not translating to anything. As far as the players on the roster when he got here, that's true but it's also true he's responsible for their replacements. I'm on the fence as far as coaching decisions go right now but i'm no longer on the fence about Shanahan being responsible for more of the blame than i've previoulsy placed on him.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:35 pm

I feel that there has been success. It has NOT translated to wins. However, I believe that it's coming.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Slow down people. Although I am disappointed in this last game and the egg we laid in Pittsburgh, I figured we would be about where we are right now. I figured we would end up at around 6-10, with a rookie QB and not factoring injuries to 4 of our best players.
Rak
Carriker
Garcon
Davis
I think it would be a huge step backward to not give this coaching staff another off season to build this. He's halfway through his contract and this offseason is a big one. Rid the team of it's last holdovers this offseason and continue to sprinkle in some solid free agents.

People are bashing the blunders of this front office, but you can point to a bunch of great FA's and draft picks they brought in who are really solid and form the nucleous of this team. Our offense across the board is pretty solid from WR, to TE, to O-line, to RB to QB. We now have a solid K. And on D, our front 7 is pretty solid (need one more pass rusher to add to Kerrigan and Rak), our Safites are poor and our CB's are overrated.

If you can add a Safety in the 2nd round next year, add a Free agent CB, a RT in the 3rd, and continue to develop all of our draft picks, I really like how that team looks. This team is not that far away really. Just had a bad couple games. Every team has them
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:42 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:Slow down people. Although I am disappointed in this last game and the egg we laid in Pittsburgh, I figured we would be about where we are right now. I figured we would end up at around 6-10, with a rookie QB and not factoring injuries to 4 of our best players.
Rak
Carriker
Garcon
Davis
I think it would be a huge step backward to not give this coaching staff another off season to build this. He's halfway through his contract and this offseason is a big one. Rid the team of it's last holdovers this offseason and continue to sprinkle in some solid free agents.

People are bashing the blunders of this front office, but you can point to a bunch of great FA's and draft picks they brought in who are really solid and form the nucleous of this team. Our offense across the board is pretty solid from WR, to TE, to O-line, to RB to QB. We now have a solid K. And on D, our front 7 is pretty solid (need one more pass rusher to add to Kerrigan and Rak), our Safites are poor and our CB's are overrated.

If you can add a Safety in the 2nd round next year, add a Free agent CB, a RT in the 3rd, and continue to develop all of our draft picks, I really like how that team looks. This team is not that far away really. Just had a bad couple games. Every team has them

Don't bring your common sense, it won't be welcome. :lol:

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:50 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:I figured we would end up at around 6-10, with a rookie QB

Who is awesome and not the reason why this team is terrible.

I think it would be a huge step backward to not give this coaching staff another off season to build this.

Build what? A winning team? Where is it?

Our offense across the board is pretty solid from WR

Who can't catch

to TE, to O-line

Who can't seem to pass-block that well - they gave up 4 sacks yesterday, and saw almost no blitzes

This team is not that far away really. Just had a bad couple games. Every team has them

We fans say that every year. And every year, we're wrong.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

*side note*..

I like da avatar Mursilis.. congrats!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Mursilis wrote:Who can't catch

Right, cus RGIII got that 70% completion rate throwing passes to himself... :roll:

kazoo

Re: Time for this Shanahan experiment to be ended.

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:16 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Okay people I have been putting this thread off for a while now and now, sorry it's time for Mike, his son and the whole coaching staff to be terminated ASAP. Just like the game passed Joe Gibbs by, it has passed Shanahan by as well. And let's not kid ourselves. Mike Shanahan didn't build that team in Denver, Dan Reeves did. The only thing Mike gets credit for was the running backs and let's also add in that Mike wasn't nothing without Gary Kubiak and he hasn't been since. His son is a arrogant moron and I am so glad that Brian Mitchell called this team out. Let's also come to the realization that London Fletcher is old, slow and can no longer make the plays he once did, it's time to sit him down. It doesn't take any other team 3-5 to become a contender but it takes the Redskins 20 years? This is ridiculous and I would really like to kick Daniel Snyder in the ass for what he has done since buying this team. This team is pathetic, has no mean streak and are a bunch of professional. The only good thing about this team is #10 and #46 and they both should be able to go to a professional team with good qualified coaches not these stupid ass pieces of crap coaching this team into the ground. I swear too bad the bulk of us fans can't get Mike, Kyle and Jim Haslett in a boxing ring for about 5 minutes cause I swear I would beat them all to death cause they really do deserve it. They need to take the bush league play calling to high school where it belongs. I swear I doubt this team could even beat the Seneca Valley Screaming Eagles. This team get's worse as the year goes on and has happened every since Shanny has gotten here. Daniel Snyder you hire some young worthy coach that wants to win, not a past his prime coach who only came back to get his son more experience. And lastly Shanny didn't know defense in Denver and he still knows nothing about defense as evidence by the product he puts out on the field.................I am getting to the point of seriously hating this team................

These sorts rants sound familiar. At least my wife is actually a woman...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:18 pm

markshark84 wrote:

+1

Besides, did you really think we were a playoff team this year??? Get real. Playoff teams have quality at all areas. We have issues at DL, DB, OL, and WR. That's enough to keep us out of the playoffs. You need quality everywhere.

If you really think we should have gone from that roster in 2009 to a playoff team in 3 seasons, you need a reality check.

Okay other than RG3 and Alfred Morris where have we made progress? Seriously the offensive line "looks" better because of RG3. Our defense has consistently gotten worse. We can blame Mara and Goodell all we want but seriously this team sucks with the exception of RG3 and Alfred Morris and sorry I don't want to hear about Orakpo and Carriker being the reason we suck on defense. Haslett was crap in St. Louis and New Orleans and Mike Shanahan thinks he is the answer in the NFC East?

That alone shows you Shanahan is again in over his head and Danny Snyder again fooled by over-ratedness. Snyder has went from paying too much for past their prime players (Example Deion Sanders) to paying for past their prime coaches (Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan). If he was 1/2 as smart he would get Sean Payton.....................But trust me Dallas or Philly will have Sean as their HC most likely.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Mursilis wrote:Who can't catch

Right, cus RGIII got that 70% completion rate throwing passes to himself... :roll:

Considering the endless drops, his completion percentage really is phenomenal. He's an amazing passer with power, touch and accuracy. Every time he runs now I'm starting to cringe, I'd really to keep him away from those hits. Someone who throws the ball that well can just shred a D.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:26 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:Slow down people. Although I am disappointed in this last game and the egg we laid in Pittsburgh, I figured we would be about where we are right now. I figured we would end up at around 6-10, with a rookie QB and not factoring injuries to 4 of our best players.
Rak
Carriker
Garcon
Davis

This is ridiculous. Sorry it may be "common sense" however look at it for what it is. Mike was always over rated. The ONLY thing he get's partial credit for is finding running backs but I believe the running back coach he brought here from Denver has a lot to do with that.

In Denver his good teams consisted of Gary Kubiak calling plays, when Gary left so did Mikes offensive juggernauts. Mike never had a good defensive coordinator and that was one if not the main reason he was fired.

And again let's not kid ourselves Mike Shanahan winning the SB was nothing more than luck. He didn't make that team Dan Reeves built that team.

Kyle is a clown and his retarded play calling in the red zone prove that. All his stats the first 4-5 weeks was all due to other teams not being able to gauge RG3 but there is tape on him now and look we can barely get 14 points.

Let's also add in our special teams that SUCK. Yeah it's people with your mindset that continue to have Daniel Snyder laugh all the way to the bank........SMDH.....

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:27 pm

Mursilis wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:
I think it would be a huge step backward to not give this coaching staff another off season to build this.

Build what? A winning team? Where is it?

Build his team. He needs to be given a longer tenue than the average coach here has received over the last 10 years. Let see what this team looks like at this time next year. From day 1, I have said 4 years, and I'm not letting a poor game get in the way of that.
Mursilis wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:
Our offense across the board is pretty solid from WR

Who can't catch

for the last two weeks. Come on. we have our best WR injured.

Mursilis wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:
to TE, to O-line

Who can't seem to pass-block that well - they gave up 4 sacks yesterday, and saw almost no blitzes

You are agin using one game to settle this.

Mursilis wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:
This team is not that far away really. Just had a bad couple games. Every team has them

We fans say that every year. And every year, we're wrong.

I never said that last year, and neither did the experts...soooo, who exactly said this? You? That's on you. :wink:
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:27 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

Coaching changes haven't been our problem. Hiring the wrong coach has been the problem (ie Spurrier and Zorn). Obviously you don't want constant turnover but its equally bad to continue on with a coach that you don't think can get the job done. I'm not saying that Shanahan should be fired, but the idea for keeping him on just for the sake of continuity and because of too much turnover in the past doesn't make any real sense.

So if he's let go, who do we bring in that's a guarantee?

I would give him one more year, but if I was looking for a coach this offseason I'd go after Sean Payton.
Suck and Luck

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football