Panther at Skins Post Game

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: Panama

Postby gushogs » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
gushogs wrote:I have hated Snyders coaching carrousel from the recent past, but if he fires Shannahan before his 5 pm press conference, I'll be thrilled. A young QB with losts of promise doesn´t need a quitter making calls.
HaiL,


- So you hate the coach changes?

- YET!!! You want to change coaches and set RGIII's development back at the most crucial time. LOL

- But it's ok because you're "ok" with it. Until 2-3 years later when the next coach gets the yanked and we've effectively ruined another QB... And then you'll be crying about Snyder not being patient enough.

LOL "fans".


Deadskins wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:quite frankly, Roysters blocking isn't good enough to warrant his appearances.

I agree with you there, but Royster definitely doesn't suck as a RB.


Last year? He was good. This year, he's sucked. Granted, he doesn't get to develop a rhythm but for how they use him, he's ineffective. And at the goal line, you don't put him in. You put you BEST players on the field. And that wouldn't be Royster. That'd be a man by the name of Alfred.


Yep, I hope Shanny gets fired cause he's a quitter. I have never heard any coach at this point in a season, quit on his team.
Do you want a great QB to learn from a quitter? What is worst, for stability sake keep shanny teaching RGIII how to quit in midseason, or get a motivator now to get him on the right set of mind for the rest of his hopefully great career with us.
HaiL,
Enough of this name change sh*t!!!
Get politicians out of office. Then they'll forget about the REDSKINS, because they'll be WORKING!!!

Hog
Posts: 2362
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Postby RayNAustin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:53 pm

markshark84 wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I was against keeping Banks on the roster going into this year, and I hope by now the coaches agree with me. They took a gamble on him and lost, and it's time to give up on the idea that he has long-term potential. With the rule change on kickoffs and our porous defense, he only has half the chances to do anything, and while that's been enough to make a half-dozen boneheaded plays he has yet to create a positive game-changing moment.

Meanwhile, the trick plays on offense with him have gone from "that wasn't too bad, I guess" to flacid.

Whatever edge he brought on returns is gone — I'm guessing due to the injuries he's battled. And with our best receivers either injured or not performing, we badly need that roster spot for a real NFL WR.

If I'm Shanahan, I call Banks into my office this morning, thank him for everything he's done the past three years, cut him, and give Terrence Austin a call.


Agree about cutting Banks. He has done nothing for us this year. I cringe everytime he touches the ball; whether it is because he runs all over the field for 1 yd or less or because I am afraid he will fumble.

I used to love BB, but with the rule changes, there is no longer a reason to keep a "return specialist" unless they can also play another position well. Banks can't play the WR position and has not produced in the pistol or triple option formations.

Right now we need to either cut Robinson, Briscoe, or Banks and bring in another WR because our current WRs just can't catch the ball. It is embarassing and will hurt RGIII's confidence. Did you see all the bad screen and short passes RGIII threw yesterday --- I can almost gauarantee that the horrendous WR play was a factor in hurting his rythm on those plays.


Mark, Banks is really a non-issue in the greater scheme of things ... he's just one of the symptoms of the disease. And that disease is the incompetent personnel decisions and or how the staff chooses to use the players.

Let's take a few of the areas and analyze them ... starting with receivers (since you mentioned Banks). Briscoe, Robinson, Hankerson ... none of these three have actually produced much of anything .. and certainly no one should expect a Victor Cruz or a Nicks to pop out of this group at this point. But we released our 2011 leading receiver Gaffney, who turned out to be a sure handed possession receiver in a struggling offense that was highlighted by a carousel of incompetence at the QB position. We also chose to release Anthony Armstrong who really didn't see much action at all last year (inexplicably) even though in 2010 he was emerging as a real dangerous weapon ... 2010 he had 44 catches, 871 yards, 3 TD's, and 19.8 yard per catch average. That's a huge average ... and AA would have had more TD catches were he ever to actually have received passes in stride instead of having to sit down and field most of these deep balls like a center fielder, as I clearly recall. So why he was just not used in 2011 is probably because neither Rex or Beck were actually able to complete a pass beyond 10-15 yards past the line .. and Armstrong collected dust on the sideline. We could use that type of deep threat now, since no one else seems to be capable of getting behind coverage except the old man, Moss, who occasionally does. If Robinson does, you can expect him to drop it. So I'm sorry ... but I'm having a real hard time with the idea that Banks is this glaring problem with Briscoe and Robinson doing nothing. To be honest .. when you have a speciality player like Banks, the defense keys on him on those rare cases that he actually lines up in the regular offense, which isn't very often, and is usually a big tip off that he's in there for a reason ... DUH. It would be like putting RG3 out there as a holder for a FG attempt ... FAKE ... WATCH THE FAKE. This is the level of cleverness of our offensive coach, which isn't very clever at all, really ... who's rather predictable behavior has been mentioned on more than one occasion by opposing defenses, and why we are seeing a week to week decline in offensive production, even with the Black Jesus, and his disciple "Moses" Morris who parts defenses like the Red Sea.

Now, the secondary ... horrible, pathetic, embarrassing, take your pick ... is this really Hasletts fault? Did he choose Williams or Meriweather as the better players over Landry .. or was that a business decision? Did he choose to trade Justine Tryon because he was overflowing with great DBs? And who picked Tanard Jackson, knowing he might very well not even be permitted to play this year? Two weeks from now, New England will have solid cover guy and former Bucs DB playing for them, for a 4th round pick. Hall and Doughty are the only DBs on the roster from 2010. The changes made here have not worked out so well .. actually .. it's an unmitigated disaster. We simply do not have a Free Safety ... and neither of our other safeties can cover a TE. Our DB's sometimes look like the three stooges ... and three or four times each game we see the opposition's #1 or #2 receiver running free in the secondary with no defender even in the television frame. And this happening with a brand new Secondary Coach just hired this season too?

Now the front 7 ... supposed to be our major strength and was supposed to be where we had great depth .... take away Rak and Carriker, and we cannot make the slightest push against anyone's offensive line ... all opponents need to do is handle Kerrigan, and they have all day to throw, and it wouldn't matter if we had an entire backfield filled with several Greens and Baileys ... and let's face it ... we still do not have the dominant type of linebackers that make a 34 defense great ... you need speed and ability to cover, and we are being picked apart in those areas too.

And just who was it that insisted on rebuilding our 43 defense into a 34 defense, requiring wholesale personnel changes in the front 7, at the expense of the secondary and offensive personnel which desperately needed that focus? That's why we've had to manage a patchwork o-line .. and use other peoples 3's and 4's as our 1's and 2's at both receiver and secondary.

You just can't absorb the number of personnel errors that we've seen over the past three years ... and the few really good players added cannot make up for the dozen disastrous decisions. The larry Johnson type deals ... we sign him to a three year deal, and then release him after 2 games and 5 carries. Then there was the NcNabb fiasco, and the Beck fiasco .. the list goes on and on and on. Is everyone's memory 60 seconds long? Am I the only one who remembers these major fiascos and foolish maneuvers?

Well ... they've been continuing right through this year too. We have the kicker fiasco ... starting with Gano .. we bring in Rackers .... we keep Gano ... and the moment Cundiff hits the waiver wire, we sign him and drop Gano like an empty coke bottle ... and everyone was saying "Huh? This doesn't look like a very smart move .. why would they do that?" And of course, we know what the results were .... ANOTHER FIASCO.

Now God forbid that anyone named Dan or Vinny would have presided over all of these FIASCOS .... the McNabbs, Becks, Grossmans, Johnsons, Cundiffs, etc., etc., because the experts here would have been ragging on these things ENDLESSLY and MERCILESSLY ..... but because it is Super Bowl Mike ... it's just a few wrinkles that the man needs time to iron out?

NO .... he's the source of the wrinkles, and his XBOX Madden 2012 offensive coordinator son has now found a way to not score points with a fourth QB in less than three years ... and we know FOR CERTAIN that it is not RG3's inability or lack of talent.

But using RG3 as a receiver? Let our receiver be the QB and send our franchise QB out as a receiver? Really? Really, Kyle? Really Mike? Well, the big shocker here was not that they'd do such an asinine thing ... that's no surprise at all ... what floored me was that Mike Shanahan actually for once admitted that ... "After looking at that on film, it was a dumb thing to do, and we won't be doing that again". Really Mike .... you had to see that on film? Had to see a free safety load up and deliver a body blast to your franchise QB down field to realize it was a dumb thing to do? Most people, Mike, with an IQ larger than their egos and shoe size could have told you it was a dumb thing to do, before the game even started. But for those of us who have actually been paying attention ... we were not surprised .... because over the course of the past 2 1/2 seasons, we've seen a lot of dumb things done .... we're getting so used to it .. some of us actually are now forgetting what dumb looks like.

Sorry for the rant ... but somebody has to say it.
Last edited by RayNAustin on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:43 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby aswas71788 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:05 pm

RayNAustin wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I was against keeping Banks on the roster going into this year, and I hope by now the coaches agree with me. They took a gamble on him and lost, and it's time to give up on the idea that he has long-term potential. With the rule change on kickoffs and our porous defense, he only has half the chances to do anything, and while that's been enough to make a half-dozen boneheaded plays he has yet to create a positive game-changing moment.

Meanwhile, the trick plays on offense with him have gone from "that wasn't too bad, I guess" to flacid.

Whatever edge he brought on returns is gone — I'm guessing due to the injuries he's battled. And with our best receivers either injured or not performing, we badly need that roster spot for a real NFL WR.

If I'm Shanahan, I call Banks into my office this morning, thank him for everything he's done the past three years, cut him, and give Terrence Austin a call.


Agree about cutting Banks. He has done nothing for us this year. I cringe everytime he touches the ball; whether it is because he runs all over the field for 1 yd or less or because I am afraid he will fumble.

I used to love BB, but with the rule changes, there is no longer a reason to keep a "return specialist" unless they can also play another position well. Banks can't play the WR position and has not produced in the pistol or triple option formations.

Right now we need to either cut Robinson, Briscoe, or Banks and bring in another WR because our current WRs just can't catch the ball. It is embarassing and will hurt RGIII's confidence. Did you see all the bad screen and short passes RGIII threw yesterday --- I can almost gauarantee that the horrendous WR play was a factor in hurting his rythm on those plays.


Mark, Banks is really a non-issue in the greater scheme of things ... he's just one of the symptoms of the disease. And that disease is the incompetent personnel decisions and or how the staff chooses to use the players.

Let's take a few of the areas and analyze them ... starting with receivers (since you mentioned Banks). Briscoe, Robinson, Hankerson ... none of these three have actually produced much of anything .. and certainly no one should expect a Victor Cruz or a Nicks to pop out of this group at this point. But we released our 2011 leading receiver Gaffney, who turned out to be a sure handed possession receiver in a struggling offense that was highlighted by a carousel of incompetence at the QB position. We also chose to release Anthony Armstrong who really didn't see much action at all last year (inexplicably) even though in 2010 he was emerging as a real dangerous weapon ... 2010 he had 44 catches, 871 yards, 3 TD's, and 19.8 yard per catch average. That's a huge average ... and AA would have had more TD catches were he ever to actually have received passes in stride instead of having to sit down and field most of these deep balls like a center fielder, as I clearly recall. So why he was just not used in 2011 is probably because neither Rex or Beck were actually able to complete a pass beyond 10-15 yards past the line .. and Armstrong collected dust on the sideline. We could use that type of deep threat now, since no one else seems to be capable of getting behind coverage except the old man, Moss, who occasionally does. If Robinson does, you can expect him to drop it. So I'm sorry ... but I'm having a real hard time with the idea that Banks is this glaring problem with Briscoe and Robinson doing nothing. To be honest .. when you have a speciality player like Banks, the defense keys on him on those rare cases that he actually lines up in the regular offense, which isn't very often, and is usually a big tip off that he's in there for a reason ... DUH. It would be like putting RG3 out there as a holder for a FG attempt ... FAKE ... WATCH THE FAKE. This is the level of cleverness of our offensive coach, which isn't very clever at all, really ... who's rather predictable behavior has been mentioned on more than one occasion by opposing defenses, and why we are seeing a week to week decline in offensive production, even with the Black Jesus, and his disciple "Moses" Morris who parts defenses like the Red Sea.

Now, the secondary ... horrible, pathetic, embarrassing, take your pick ... is this really Hasletts fault? Did he choose Williams or Meriweather as the better players over Landry .. or was that a business decision? Did he choose to trade Justine Tryon because he was overflowing with great DBs? And who picked Tanard Jackson, knowing he might very well not even be permitted to play this year? Two weeks from now, New England will have solid cover guy and former Bucs DB playing for them, for a 4th round pick. Hall and Doughty are the only DBs on the roster from 2010. The changes made here have not worked out so well .. actually .. it's an unmitigated disaster. We simply do not have a Free Safety ... and neither of our other safeties can cover a TE. Our DB's sometimes look like the three stooges ... and three or four times each game we see the opposition's #1 or #2 receiver running free in the secondary with no defender even in the television frame. And this happening with a brand new Secondary Coach just hired this season too?

Now the front 7 ... supposed to be our major strength and was supposed to be where we had great depth .... take away Rak and Carriker, and we cannot make the slightest push against anyone's offensive line ... all opponents need to do is handle Kerrigan, and they have all day to throw, and it wouldn't matter if we had an entire backfield filled with several Greens and Baileys ... and let's face it ... we still do not have the dominant type of linebackers that make a 34 defense great ... you need speed and ability to cover, and we are being picked apart in those areas too.

And just who was it that insisted on rebuilding our 43 defense into a 34 defense, requiring wholesale personnel changes in the front 7, at the expense of the secondary and offensive personnel which desperately needed that focus? That's why we've had to manage a patchwork o-line .. and use other peoples 3's and 4's as our 1's and 2's at both receiver and secondary.

You just can't absorb the number of personnel errors that we've seen over the past three years ... and the few really good players added cannot make up for the dozen disastrous decisions. The larry Johnson type deals ... we sign him to a three year deal, and then release him after 2 games and 5 carries. Then there was the NcNabb fiasco, and the Beck fiasco .. the list goes on and on and on. Is everyone's memory 60 seconds long? Am I the only one who remembers these major fiascos and foolish maneuvers?

Well ... they've been continuing right through this year too. We have the kicker fiasco ... starting with Gano .. we bring in Rackers .... we keep Gano ... and the moment Cundiff hits the waiver wire, we sign him and drop Gano like an empty coke bottle ... and everyone was saying "Huh? This doesn't look like a very smart move .. why would they do that?" And of course, we know what the results were .... ANOTHER FIASCO.

Now God forbid that anyone named Dan or Vinny would have presided over all of these FIASCOS .... the McNabbs, Becks, Grossmans, Johnsons, Cundiffs, etc., etc., because the experts here would have been ragging on these things ENDLESSLY and MERCILESSLY ..... but because it is Super Bowl Mike ... it's just a few wrinkles that the man needs time to iron out?

NO .... he's the source of the wrinkles, and his XBOX Madden 2012 offensive coordinator son has now found a way to not score points with a fourth QB in less than three years ... and we know FOR CERTAIN that it is not RG3's inability or lack of talent.

Sorry for the rant ... but somebody has to say it.


You are seeing the reasons that Shanahan was let go at Denver. The very same reasons! Yes, he won a super bowl. But like many other head coaches, the NFL has passed him by. Just my opinion.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4977
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:33 pm

aswas71788 wrote:You are seeing the reasons that Shanahan was let go at Denver. The very same reasons! Yes, he won a super bowl. But like many other head coaches, the NFL has passed him by. Just my opinion.


So true. What we really need is somebody "fresh" like... JIM ZORN! Or somebody that hasn't been passed by like... STEVE SPURRIER!

Everybody screamed for years that they wanted Snyder to be patient. Run a professional organization. Stop spending money wildly on over the hill and unnecessary free agents. Funny, all I hear on the radio the past two days is "Fire Shanny!" "Go get Dwayne Bowe!".

LMFAO.

Everybody knew we would be a 6 or 7 win team this season. Quit acting like a bunch of freaking crybabies.

Hog
Posts: 2362
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Postby RayNAustin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:36 pm

aswas71788 wrote:You are seeing the reasons that Shanahan was let go at Denver. The very same reasons! Yes, he won a super bowl. But like many other head coaches, the NFL has passed him by. Just my opinion.


I know ... Shanahan has been riding that 1998 Super Bowl for 14 years ... since then, he's won 1 playoff game, and 1 division title. His last three years at Denver he was a straight 500 ... 8-8 average. Here, he's screwed this thing up like a psychotic mad scientist 14-27 ... 5-15 at home? Give me a break ....

Why people insist on making excuses for this guy leaves me scratching my head in utter amazement. I know people are getting tired of changes, and want to see some stability .... but I don't see anything remotely stable in this coaching crew ... except consistent failure. And I'm sorry to say it, but these guys have got to go before they do any more damage than they have already done. This is one long continuous and endless train wreck, and someone needs to take the matches and sharp objects away from these overgrown children.

What scares me more than anything else is Mike's son using RG3 to draw up these sand lot schemes that I'm afraid is going to shorten his career by 1/2.

Hog
Posts: 2362
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Postby RayNAustin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:42 pm

riggofan wrote:
aswas71788 wrote:You are seeing the reasons that Shanahan was let go at Denver. The very same reasons! Yes, he won a super bowl. But like many other head coaches, the NFL has passed him by. Just my opinion.


So true. What we really need is somebody "fresh" like... JIM ZORN! Or somebody that hasn't been passed by like... STEVE SPURRIER!

Everybody screamed for years that they wanted Snyder to be patient. Run a professional organization. Stop spending money wildly on over the hill and unnecessary free agents. Funny, all I hear on the radio the past two days is "Fire Shanny!" "Go get Dwayne Bowe!".

LMFAO.

Everybody knew we would be a 6 or 7 win team this season. Quit acting like a bunch of freaking crybabies.


I got news for you laughing man ... if this team wins 7 games, I'll kiss your arse and give you an hour to draw an audience.

Yes ... Jim Zorn and Steve Spurrier both had better win percentages than the Sham-a-Clan duo .... Zorn managed to win 8 games in his first year with that CLOWN Campbell handing from his neck like an albatross. Give Zorn RG3 and he would have won 12 games in 2008 .... or just about as many wins as Mikey has managed over the past 41 games.

And I see nothing at all humorous about that sad fact ... and in two and a half seasons, they've managed as many, if not more BONE HEADED maneuvers than the Vinny-Danny combo did in any 3 year stretch.
Last edited by RayNAustin on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:43 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby aswas71788 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:48 pm

We have watched the coaching carousel for years now. Each new head coach promises that this team will win, be a contender, win the division, win the Super Bowl. I had hopes that this time would be different and it would get better. Shanahan's press conference Sunday shattered any hope in that. The head coach is giving up on his team 9 games into the season. His team.......the one he recruited and built. I would welcome a coaching change right now. Not because of the win/loss record but because this head coach is quitting on his team.

---
User avatar
Posts: 18571
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:48 pm

gushogs wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
gushogs wrote:I have hated Snyders coaching carrousel from the recent past, but if he fires Shannahan before his 5 pm press conference, I'll be thrilled. A young QB with losts of promise doesn´t need a quitter making calls.
HaiL,


- So you hate the coach changes?

- YET!!! You want to change coaches and set RGIII's development back at the most crucial time. LOL

- But it's ok because you're "ok" with it. Until 2-3 years later when the next coach gets the yanked and we've effectively ruined another QB... And then you'll be crying about Snyder not being patient enough.

LOL "fans".


Deadskins wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:quite frankly, Roysters blocking isn't good enough to warrant his appearances.

I agree with you there, but Royster definitely doesn't suck as a RB.


Last year? He was good. This year, he's sucked. Granted, he doesn't get to develop a rhythm but for how they use him, he's ineffective. And at the goal line, you don't put him in. You put you BEST players on the field. And that wouldn't be Royster. That'd be a man by the name of Alfred.


Yep, I hope Shanny gets fired cause he's a quitter. I have never heard any coach at this point in a season, quit on his team.
Do you want a great QB to learn from a quitter? What is worst, for stability sake keep shanny teaching RGIII how to quit in midseason, or get a motivator now to get him on the right set of mind for the rest of his hopefully great career with us.
HaiL,


Please spare me. :lol:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:43 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby aswas71788 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:53 pm

riggofan wrote:
aswas71788 wrote:You are seeing the reasons that Shanahan was let go at Denver. The very same reasons! Yes, he won a super bowl. But like many other head coaches, the NFL has passed him by. Just my opinion.


So true. What we really need is somebody "fresh" like... JIM ZORN! Or somebody that hasn't been passed by like... STEVE SPURRIER!

Everybody screamed for years that they wanted Snyder to be patient. Run a professional organization. Stop spending money wildly on over the hill and unnecessary free agents. Funny, all I hear on the radio the past two days is "Fire Shanny!" "Go get Dwayne Bowe!".

LMFAO.

Everybody knew we would be a 6 or 7 win team this season. Quit acting like a bunch of freaking crybabies.


My issue is not with the won/loss record or even yesterdays loss. It is with a head coach that is quitting on the team he assembled. One that publicly acknowledged 9 weeks into the season that he has failed.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1797
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:55 pm

RayNAustin wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I was against keeping Banks on the roster going into this year, and I hope by now the coaches agree with me. They took a gamble on him and lost, and it's time to give up on the idea that he has long-term potential. With the rule change on kickoffs and our porous defense, he only has half the chances to do anything, and while that's been enough to make a half-dozen boneheaded plays he has yet to create a positive game-changing moment.

Meanwhile, the trick plays on offense with him have gone from "that wasn't too bad, I guess" to flacid.

Whatever edge he brought on returns is gone — I'm guessing due to the injuries he's battled. And with our best receivers either injured or not performing, we badly need that roster spot for a real NFL WR.

If I'm Shanahan, I call Banks into my office this morning, thank him for everything he's done the past three years, cut him, and give Terrence Austin a call.


Agree about cutting Banks. He has done nothing for us this year. I cringe everytime he touches the ball; whether it is because he runs all over the field for 1 yd or less or because I am afraid he will fumble.

I used to love BB, but with the rule changes, there is no longer a reason to keep a "return specialist" unless they can also play another position well. Banks can't play the WR position and has not produced in the pistol or triple option formations.

Right now we need to either cut Robinson, Briscoe, or Banks and bring in another WR because our current WRs just can't catch the ball. It is embarassing and will hurt RGIII's confidence. Did you see all the bad screen and short passes RGIII threw yesterday --- I can almost gauarantee that the horrendous WR play was a factor in hurting his rythm on those plays.


Mark, Banks is really a non-issue in the greater scheme of things ... he's just one of the symptoms of the disease. And that disease is the incompetent personnel decisions and or how the staff chooses to use the players.

Let's take a few of the areas and analyze them ... starting with receivers (since you mentioned Banks). Briscoe, Robinson, Hankerson ... none of these three have actually produced much of anything .. and certainly no one should expect a Victor Cruz or a Nicks to pop out of this group at this point. But we released our 2011 leading receiver Gaffney, who turned out to be a sure handed possession receiver in a struggling offense that was highlighted by a carousel of incompetence at the QB position. We also chose to release Anthony Armstrong who really didn't see much action at all last year (inexplicably) even though in 2010 he was emerging as a real dangerous weapon ... 2010 he had 44 catches, 871 yards, 3 TD's, and 19.8 yard per catch average. That's a huge average ... and AA would have had more TD catches were he ever to actually have received passes in stride instead of having to sit down and field most of these deep balls like a center fielder, as I clearly recall. So why he was just not used in 2011 is probably because neither Rex or Beck were actually able to complete a pass beyond 10-15 yards past the line .. and Armstrong collected dust on the sideline. We could use that type of deep threat now, since no one else seems to be capable of getting behind coverage except the old man, Moss, who occasionally does. If Robinson does, you can expect him to drop it. So I'm sorry ... but I'm having a real hard time with the idea that Banks is this glaring problem with Briscoe and Robinson doing nothing. To be honest .. when you have a speciality player like Banks, the defense keys on him on those rare cases that he actually lines up in the regular offense, which isn't very often, and is usually a big tip off that he's in there for a reason ... DUH. It would be like putting RG3 out there as a holder for a FG attempt ... FAKE ... WATCH THE FAKE. This is the level of cleverness of our offensive coach, which isn't very clever at all, really ... who's rather predictable behavior has been mentioned on more than one occasion by opposing defenses, and why we are seeing a week to week decline in offensive production, even with the Black Jesus, and his disciple "Moses" Morris who parts defenses like the Red Sea.

Now, the secondary ... horrible, pathetic, embarrassing, take your pick ... is this really Hasletts fault? Did he choose Williams or Meriweather as the better players over Landry .. or was that a business decision? Did he choose to trade Justine Tryon because he was overflowing with great DBs? And who picked Tanard Jackson, knowing he might very well not even be permitted to play this year? Two weeks from now, New England will have solid cover guy and former Bucs DB playing for them, for a 4th round pick. Hall and Doughty are the only DBs on the roster from 2010. The changes made here have not worked out so well .. actually .. it's an unmitigated disaster. We simply do not have a Free Safety ... and neither of our other safeties can cover a TE. Our DB's sometimes look like the three stooges ... and three or four times each game we see the opposition's #1 or #2 receiver running free in the secondary with no defender even in the television frame. And this happening with a brand new Secondary Coach just hired this season too?

Now the front 7 ... supposed to be our major strength and was supposed to be where we had great depth .... take away Rak and Carriker, and we cannot make the slightest push against anyone's offensive line ... all opponents need to do is handle Kerrigan, and they have all day to throw, and it wouldn't matter if we had an entire backfield filled with several Greens and Baileys ... and let's face it ... we still do not have the dominant type of linebackers that make a 34 defense great ... you need speed and ability to cover, and we are being picked apart in those areas too.

And just who was it that insisted on rebuilding our 43 defense into a 34 defense, requiring wholesale personnel changes in the front 7, at the expense of the secondary and offensive personnel which desperately needed that focus? That's why we've had to manage a patchwork o-line .. and use other peoples 3's and 4's as our 1's and 2's at both receiver and secondary.

You just can't absorb the number of personnel errors that we've seen over the past three years ... and the few really good players added cannot make up for the dozen disastrous decisions. The larry Johnson type deals ... we sign him to a three year deal, and then release him after 2 games and 5 carries. Then there was the NcNabb fiasco, and the Beck fiasco .. the list goes on and on and on. Is everyone's memory 60 seconds long? Am I the only one who remembers these major fiascos and foolish maneuvers?

Well ... they've been continuing right through this year too. We have the kicker fiasco ... starting with Gano .. we bring in Rackers .... we keep Gano ... and the moment Cundiff hits the waiver wire, we sign him and drop Gano like an empty coke bottle ... and everyone was saying "Huh? This doesn't look like a very smart move .. why would they do that?" And of course, we know what the results were .... ANOTHER FIASCO.

Now God forbid that anyone named Dan or Vinny would have presided over all of these FIASCOS .... the McNabbs, Becks, Grossmans, Johnsons, Cundiffs, etc., etc., because the experts here would have been ragging on these things ENDLESSLY and MERCILESSLY ..... but because it is Super Bowl Mike ... it's just a few wrinkles that the man needs time to iron out?

NO .... he's the source of the wrinkles, and his XBOX Madden 2012 offensive coordinator son has now found a way to not score points with a fourth QB in less than three years ... and we know FOR CERTAIN that it is not RG3's inability or lack of talent.

But using RG3 as a receiver? Let our receiver be the QB and send our franchise QB out as a receiver? Really? Really, Kyle? Really Mike? Well, the big shocker here was not that they'd do such an asinine thing ... that's no surprise at all ... what floored me was that Mike Shanahan actually for once admitted that ... "After looking at that on film, it was a dumb thing to do, and we won't be doing that again". Really Mike .... you had to see that on film? Had to see a free safety load up and deliver a body blast to your franchise QB down field to realize it was a dumb thing to do? Most people, Mike, with an IQ larger than their egos and shoe size could have told you it was a dumb thing to do, before the game even started. But for those of us who have actually been paying attention ... we were not surprised .... because over the course of the past 2 1/2 seasons, we've seen a lot of dumb things done .... we're getting so used to it .. some of us actually are now forgetting what dumb looks like.

Sorry for the rant ... but somebody has to say it.


As usual, I agree -- except for AA and to a small degree KS. I still think AA isn't good and don't see him as any better than the trash we currently have. Gaffney, Rodgers, Landry, etc. were all really bad moves. However, Rodgers and Landry weren't exactly huge Skin fans the year they left.... Regardless, what MS has done with the 2ndary is comical and sad. KS has made some really bad decisions, but he has created a nice offense that RGIII feels comfortable in.

MS has, no doubt, gotten rid of very good personell over the years. Tath said, our team is much better as compared to 2009 when he came in --- if that is saying anything.

Although I agree, I still think we should stick with him for another year only for consistency and to allow him to complete his "cycle". Honestly, there aren't a good deal of quality coaches that will take a position here. No coach worth their weight wants Snyder as their boss.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog
Posts: 2362
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Postby RayNAustin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:55 pm

aswas71788 wrote:We have watched the coaching carousel for years now. Each new head coach promises that this team will win, be a contender, win the division, win the Super Bowl. I had hopes that this time would be different and it would get better. Shanahan's press conference Sunday shattered any hope in that. The head coach is giving up on his team 9 games into the season. His team.......the one he recruited and built. I would welcome a coaching change right now. Not because of the win/loss record but because this head coach is quitting on his team.


When Gibbs came back for his second stint ... the expectations were high .. and he was a bit of a victim of his own past success, which was beyond remarkable .... yet even though his second tour didn't live up to his first one, he still managed to get us to the playoffs twice in four years .... and that was with Mark Brunnel and Jason Campbell.

What do you think the Joe Gibbs-Al Saunders combo would have been able to accomplish with RG3 ?

Canes Skin
Posts: 6667
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 pm

riggofan wrote:
aswas71788 wrote:You are seeing the reasons that Shanahan was let go at Denver. The very same reasons! Yes, he won a super bowl. But like many other head coaches, the NFL has passed him by. Just my opinion.


So true. What we really need is somebody "fresh" like... JIM ZORN! Or somebody that hasn't been passed by like... STEVE SPURRIER!

Everybody screamed for years that they wanted Snyder to be patient. Run a professional organization. Stop spending money wildly on over the hill and unnecessary free agents. Funny, all I hear on the radio the past two days is "Fire Shanny!" "Go get Dwayne Bowe!".

LMFAO.

Everybody knew we would be a 6 or 7 win team this season. Quit acting like a bunch of freaking crybabies.


Instead of over the hill free agents we went with an over the hill head coach.
Suck and Luck

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:31 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:Instead of over the hill free agents we went with an over the hill head coach.


Yeah, yeah, we're stupid, we suck, our offense sucks, our defense sucks, our special teams sucks, our front office sucks, we can't block, we can't tackle, the Smithsonian sucks, the beltway sucks, our airports suck, the National Cathedral sucks, Arena Stage sucks, the Kennedy Center sucks, Georgetown sucks.

Thanks for that contribution, it really advanced the discussion.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog
Posts: 2362
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Postby RayNAustin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:32 pm

markshark84 wrote:As usual, I agree -- except for AA and to a small degree KS. I still think AA isn't good and don't see him as any better than the trash we currently have.


Mark, you know that I generally make statements that I can back up with facts ... and the fact is, not one receiver on this 2012 roster is on pace to pass Armstrong's production in 2010 ... not one. And Armstrong was the #3 receiver for the Redskins in 2010 ... here's the stats:

(2010)
Moss - 93 rec - 1115 yards - 12.0 yard average - 6 TDs
C.C - 77 rec - 847 yards - 11.0 yard average - 3 TDs
A.A - 44 rec - 871 yards - 19.8 yard average - 3 TDs

Morgan is on pace for about 6 or 7 more receptions than than Armstrong had ... but not yards, and not scoring (Morgan has Zero TD) and he is our #1 receiver this year. Here's a comparison with projected totals (current totals in perens)

(2012)
Morgan - 51 rec (29) - 549 yards (309) - 10.7 yard average - 0-TDs (0)
Hanker - 46 rec (26) - 608 yards (342) - 13.2 yard average - 1.7 TDs (1)
Moss - 42 rec (24) - 556 yards (313) - 13.0 yard average - 8.8 TD (5)
Robins - 16 rec (9) - 213 yards (120) - 13.3 yard average - 1.7 TD (1)
Briscoe - 3 rec (2) - 39 yards (22) - 11.0 yard average - 0 TD (0)

Now Armstrong hardly saw the field last year ... he had a grand total of 7 receptions .... guess what ..... 2 of them were TDs ... which will exceed the projected scoring of the other receivers this year, except Moss ... including Garcon who has 8 receptions and 1 TD this year.

So when I say it was an idiotic thing to cut Armstrong and keep the other guys ... it's not just an opinion or speculation ... it is based on factual statistical data and tangible production. He was better than Banks, Hankerson, Briscoe, Robinson ... hands down .. and just another example of an inexplicable use and discarding of productive players by the Shan-a-clan.

markshark84 wrote:Gaffney, Rodgers, Landry, etc. were all really bad moves. However, Rodgers and Landry weren't exactly huge Skin fans the year they left.... Regardless, what MS has done with the 2ndary is comical and sad. KS has made some really bad decisions, but he has created a nice offense that RGIII feels comfortable in.


Gaffney was a head scratcher, along the same lines as the Cundiff deal. Made no sense whatsoever. Now, call me a conspiracy theorist if you must ... but ever think that players like Landry and Rogers might have copped an attitude based on the fact that the Shanahans discard players like an irrational 3 year old who grabs for the next shiny toy in the pile? Do you not think that these types of maneuvers don't affect player attitudes? They saw how these two disrespected McNabb ... and it was uncalled for the way they treated him ... they saw them sign Larry Johnson and then cut him after 2 games and 5 carries ... these players see and they know the difference between "players" coaches, and coaches that will slit their throats without pause or a moment's thought. They see that production doesn't buy you anything with Mike Shanahan .. and he'll cut a productive player for another player that has proven nothing. Mike Shanahan isn't exactly well loved by many past players ... ask Jake Plummer what he thinks of Shanahan ... and be prepared for an earful. But ask players what they think of Joe Gibbs, and you have a hard time finding too many who don't love and respect him ... because he was always a "players coach" and always treated them with respect, and FAIRNESS .... things that are a foreign concept to the Shanahans. Heck, Kyle didn't want McNabb, and I think he intentionally sabotaged him, because McNabb didn't bow to the boy wonder, since he knew more about being a QB in the NFL than the boy genius ever will know.

markshark84 wrote:MS has, no doubt, gotten rid of very good personell over the years. Tath said, our team is much better as compared to 2009 when he came in --- if that is saying anything.

Although I agree, I still think we should stick with him for another year only for consistency and to allow him to complete his "cycle". Honestly, there aren't a good deal of quality coaches that will take a position here. No coach worth their weight wants Snyder as their boss.


I'm betting you're wrong. I think it would be easy to find a good coach that wold love to have RG3 as their building block .... like Gruden.

Snyder has kept his hands off ... he's got an open wallet ... and aside from the fan's perspective, that's all head coaches want ... an owner that will give them what they ask for, and let them manage and coach the players they choose.

As a side note: do you know that among the 14 Redskin assistant coaches, 11 of them have no NFL playing experience? Kyle doesn't even have playing experience at all ... and is just a very young understudy, still wet behind the ears. He's far from a seasoned, or proven commodity. The Texans offense actually improved after Kyle left.

piggie
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: Maryland

Bad play calling

Postby Redskinsfansince81 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:08 pm

I agree with Brian Mitchell that they made poor calls on that 3rd and goal and 4th and goal. Should have run it up the middle with Morris or thrown to someone IN the endzone instead of a wr screen pass.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football