Time for this Shanahan experiment to be ended.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Let me add to my last post. Like I said, I would give him one more year, but if Shanahan was fired, my main focus would be hiring a competent GM then worrying about the coach. I think having one person as the coach and de facto GM is a terrible idea.
Suck and Luck

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:33 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:I think having one person as the coach and de facto GM is a terrible idea.

Not sure how old you are, but a lot of people don't really remember the reality of the Gibbs/Beathard days. Beathard did the work, but every time they disagreed, JKC sided with Gibbs. It actually isn't that different than it is now. Allen's doing the work, but Shannahan's making the final calls.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:38 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:I think having one person as the coach and de facto GM is a terrible idea.

Not sure how old you are, but a lot of people don't really remember the reality of the Gibbs/Beathard days. Beathard did the work, but every time they disagreed, JKC sided with Gibbs. It actually isn't that different than it is now. Allen's doing the work, but Shannahan's making the final calls.

Yep and that is why there is little to no progress. Mike isn't good at having the final say. Pat Bolen should call Danny and let him know this.

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:43 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:Let me add to my last post. Like I said, I would give him one more year, but if Shanahan was fired, my main focus would be hiring a competent GM then worrying about the coach. I think having one person as the coach and de facto GM is a terrible idea.

If Shanny was fired, I imagine Bruce would continue to run the show and coaches that have experience with mobile QB's would be brought in. Enter Chucky, Holmgren, Arians. Again, I still think this needs to be given another year. The top coaches want to know that the owner isn't going to act like a fan and fire them when the going gets tough. Coaches interview owners and franchises as much as anything, and if this owner can't get out of his own way, we'll hire no one worthy this year. No worthy coach wants to enter into that scenario.

Shanny also bought himself an additional year by drafting RG3. I said as much before the draft. It was a must trade for job security.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:43 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:*side note*..

I like da avatar Mursilis.. congrats!

Thanks, but I can't take credit for it - someone else kindly designed it for me.

NC43Hog designed it. And a great job he did, too.
Last edited by Mursilis on Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Yep and that is why there is little to no progress. Mike isn't good at having the final say. Pat Bolen should call Danny and let him know this.

Some of the Bethard era's big trades, like the Gerald Riggs one, Bethard was totally opposed to
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Mursilis wrote:Who can't catch

Right, cus RGIII got that 70% completion rate throwing passes to himself... :roll:

And yet this team has been leading the league in drops the last two weeks. RGIII throws a nice ball - now the WRs need to catch it.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Sort of hard to catch anything when you don't practice the basics. Sort of like what Green and Mann eluded too. Football isn't rocket science no matter how fast you can run a 40 or how high your vertical leap is. If your coaching staff don't take time to go over the basics you loose. Case in point the Washington Redskins. I have come to suspect that the reasons why the Redskins start off good under Shanahan is training camp he and his staff cover the basics like catching. However when the season starts he is so focused on his 30 play scripting that basics are not coached and this is why you see every year we have these multi game losing streaks. I suspect many of us fans are just that and have no clue how to or what coaching teaches or have the ability to really see why things continue to degress..........

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:11 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

That was a looong time ago. In today's NFL it's not a recipe for success. Holmgren struggled when he became coach and GM and Shanahan began having problems when he took on that roll in Denver. Sure we have Allen, but he handles more of the business side and Shanahan is responsible for personnel moves. If you look back at what Shanahan's problems were in Denver, it wasn't his coaching. It was the personnel moves that were made on the defensive side of the ball.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:11 pm

I can't believe that no one has come out with a request for Chip Kelly + fill-in-the blank defensive coordinator as replacements for the Shanahans.....what's this site coming to?
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:12 pm

It's pretty sad when Jim Zorn and Steve Spurrier has a better winning percentage then this 2 time SB winning coach. That either means that this team is cursed or the two time winning coach really isn't that good and as I have said this is the issue. Dan Reeves built the teams that Mikey won the SB's with and when it came time for him to build his team, he got fired.........DUH!!! Another Daniel Snyder marketing ploy.......And tiny continues to laugh all the way to the bank........

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:19 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:It's pretty sad when Jim Zorn and Steve Spurrier has a better winning percentage then this 2 time SB winning coach

What a stupid post. The comparison ignoring their their objectives of their first teams here and what they inherited is just complete fail.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:39 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:It's pretty sad when Jim Zorn and Steve Spurrier has a better winning percentage then this 2 time SB winning coach

What a stupid post. The comparison ignoring their their objectives of their first teams here and what they inherited is just complete fail.

No the stupidity is the inability to understand that Shanahan is and has been over-rated. If you look at records it would appear the team Shanahan inherited was better than the players he has brought in. 3 years in and the defense is worse then what it was when he came. The only thing we can show as progress is RG3 and Alfred Morris and with the bush league calls Kyle calls RG3 will have brain damage before this year is over and Alfred Morris will be also be ran into the ground like he did Terrell Davis.......

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

That was a looong time ago. In today's NFL it's not a recipe for success. Holmgren struggled when he became coach and GM and Shanahan began having problems when he took on that roll in Denver. Sure we have Allen, but he handles more of the business side and Shanahan is responsible for personnel moves. If you look back at what Shanahan's problems were in Denver, it wasn't his coaching. It was the personnel moves that were made on the defensive side of the ball.

No highly successful organization works without one person making the final decision. Decision by committee is decision of mediocrity

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:52 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

No the stupidity is the inability to understand that Shanahan is and has been over-rated. If you look at records it would appear the team Shanahan inherited was better than the players he has brought in. 3 years in and the defense is worse then what it was when he came. The only thing we can show as progress is RG3 and Alfred Morris and with the bush league calls Kyle calls RG3 will have brain damage before this year is over and Alfred Morris will be also be ran into the ground like he did Terrell Davis.......

Then make the point with good arguments. Shannahan is trying to build a successful franchise. Comparing that after a couple years to the record of guys who were just trying to win games is a terrible argument.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football