Time for this Shanahan experiment to be ended.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1035
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am

Postby spenser » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:44 pm

chiefhog44 wrote: Just had a bad couple games. Every team has them


Yea, just sucks that we've had a bad couple of games, every couple of weeks for a couple of decades. :evil:

I think we let Rat face finish the season, and depending whether we fight and finish hot or at least improving, or if the team quits will be the indicator if we break out the Cheddar, load up the trap and Rid ourselves of the rat. Seriously dude has a rodent face... jusy sayin.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16098
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:19 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:*side note*..

I like da avatar Mursilis.. congrats!

+1. Too bad you didn't get it seven or eight weeks ago, it might have gone far.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16098
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:36 am

RayNAustin wrote:I had a girl once ... slept with the neighbor's wife, but since I had already changed girlfriends a few times before, and that didn't seem to work out ... I thought about keeping her. And then 5 seconds later, I threw her rear end out!

This is just a story I made up ... but you should get what I'm saying ... right?

You don't like lesbians?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
Posts: 2360
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Postby RayNAustin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:I think having one person as the coach and de facto GM is a terrible idea.


Not sure how old you are, but a lot of people don't really remember the reality of the Gibbs/Beathard days. Beathard did the work, but every time they disagreed, JKC sided with Gibbs. It actually isn't that different than it is now. Allen's doing the work, but Shannahan's making the final calls.


Actually, that's not exactly how it all went down. Beathard came to the Redskins in 1978, and began building the team then. And it was he that convinced Cooke to hire this unknown Offensive Coordinator named Joe Gibbs as Head Coach. Cooke was dead set against the idea, as he wanted an experienced head coach, but Cooke had enough respect and trust for Beathard that he agreed. And that was the start of the Beathard-Gibbs team that we all remember as the glory years. And Beathard was in total charge of who was and who wasn't brought in to be Redskins ... and that was true until some point near after the 3rd Super Bowl in 1987.

Prior to that time, when Beathard and Gibbs would be at odds on certain personnel, Cooke had always sided with Beathard ... though that began to shift, and for the last couple of years between 1987-1989, Gibbs was winning those arguments with the support of Cooke. Cooke apparently began believing that Gibbs was the primary genius behind the Redskins success ... and so Beathard eventually had enough, and left the team in 1989. The Redskins made it back to the Super Bowl in 1991, with a substantial number of players that were Beathard's acquisitions, but after that, things went down hill quickly. Gibbs retired in 1993 at the start of the NFL free agency period, and never again would the Redskins dominate.

In 1992, the Redskins traded QB Stan Humphries (a Beathard 6th round draft choice for the Redskins in 1988) to Bobby Beathard's San Diego Chargers where he went on to compile a 49-27 record as the Chargers starting QB, leading them to their only Super Bowl appearance in 1994.

Many already understood that Beathard was the architect of the Redskins team that dominated the 1980's ... but Beathard's follow on success with San Diego, with the Redskin QB he had drafted, then traded for, pretty much confirmed the truth of that.

And as Paul Harvey used to say ... "And now you know the rest of the story".

Hog
Posts: 2360
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Postby RayNAustin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:59 am

Deadskins wrote:
RayNAustin wrote:I had a girl once ... slept with the neighbor's wife, but since I had already changed girlfriends a few times before, and that didn't seem to work out ... I thought about keeping her. And then 5 seconds later, I threw her rear end out!

This is just a story I made up ... but you should get what I'm saying ... right?

You don't like lesbians?


Only the lipstick wearing types that enjoy man sandwiches :wink:

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16098
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:08 am

RayNAustin wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:I think having one person as the coach and de facto GM is a terrible idea.


Not sure how old you are, but a lot of people don't really remember the reality of the Gibbs/Beathard days. Beathard did the work, but every time they disagreed, JKC sided with Gibbs. It actually isn't that different than it is now. Allen's doing the work, but Shannahan's making the final calls.


Actually, that's not exactly how it all went down. Beathard came to the Redskins in 1978, and began building the team then. And it was he that convinced Cooke to hire this unknown Offensive Coordinator named Joe Gibbs as Head Coach. Cooke was dead set against the idea, as he wanted an experienced head coach, but Cooke had enough respect and trust for Beathard that he agreed. And that was the start of the Beathard-Gibbs team that we all remember as the glory years. And Beathard was in total charge of who was and who wasn't brought in to be Redskins ... and that was true until some point near after the 3rd Super Bowl in 1987.

Prior to that time, when Beathard and Gibbs would be at odds on certain personnel, Cooke had always sided with Beathard ... though that began to shift, and for the last couple of years between 1987-1989, Gibbs was winning those arguments with the support of Cooke. Cooke apparently began believing that Gibbs was the primary genius behind the Redskins success ... and so Beathard eventually had enough, and left the team in 1989. The Redskins made it back to the Super Bowl in 1991, with a substantial number of players that were Beathard's acquisitions, but after that, things went down hill quickly. Gibbs retired in 1993 at the start of the NFL free agency period, and never again would the Redskins dominate.

In 1992, the Redskins traded QB Stan Humphries (a Beathard 6th round draft choice for the Redskins in 1988) to Bobby Beathard's San Diego Chargers where he went on to compile a 49-27 record as the Chargers starting QB, leading them to their only Super Bowl appearance in 1994.

Many already understood that Beathard was the architect of the Redskins team that dominated the 1980's ... but Beathard's follow on success with San Diego, with the Redskin QB he had drafted, then traded for, pretty much confirmed the truth of that.

And as Paul Harvey used to say ... "And now you know the rest of the story".

Ray is correct on this, and I might add, that Humphries was a bone of contention between the two and part of the reason Beathard said goodbye.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:05 am

RayNAustin wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:I think having one person as the coach and de facto GM is a terrible idea.


Not sure how old you are, but a lot of people don't really remember the reality of the Gibbs/Beathard days. Beathard did the work, but every time they disagreed, JKC sided with Gibbs. It actually isn't that different than it is now. Allen's doing the work, but Shannahan's making the final calls.


Actually, that's not exactly how it all went down. Beathard came to the Redskins in 1978, and began building the team then. And it was he that convinced Cooke to hire this unknown Offensive Coordinator named Joe Gibbs as Head Coach. Cooke was dead set against the idea, as he wanted an experienced head coach, but Cooke had enough respect and trust for Beathard that he agreed. And that was the start of the Beathard-Gibbs team that we all remember as the glory years. And Beathard was in total charge of who was and who wasn't brought in to be Redskins ... and that was true until some point near after the 3rd Super Bowl in 1987.

Prior to that time, when Beathard and Gibbs would be at odds on certain personnel, Cooke had always sided with Beathard ... though that began to shift, and for the last couple of years between 1987-1989, Gibbs was winning those arguments with the support of Cooke. Cooke apparently began believing that Gibbs was the primary genius behind the Redskins success ... and so Beathard eventually had enough, and left the team in 1989. The Redskins made it back to the Super Bowl in 1991, with a substantial number of players that were Beathard's acquisitions, but after that, things went down hill quickly. Gibbs retired in 1993 at the start of the NFL free agency period, and never again would the Redskins dominate.

In 1992, the Redskins traded QB Stan Humphries (a Beathard 6th round draft choice for the Redskins in 1988) to Bobby Beathard's San Diego Chargers where he went on to compile a 49-27 record as the Chargers starting QB, leading them to their only Super Bowl appearance in 1994.

Many already understood that Beathard was the architect of the Redskins team that dominated the 1980's ... but Beathard's follow on success with San Diego, with the Redskin QB he had drafted, then traded for, pretty much confirmed the truth of that.

And as Paul Harvey used to say ... "And now you know the rest of the story".


So I was wrong, but you didn't contradict me. I agree with what you said.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:08 am

Deadskins wrote:Ray is correct on this, and I might add, that Humphries was a bone of contention between the two and part of the reason Beathard said goodbye.


Humphries may have been the proximate cause, but he wasn't the reason.

I agree Bethard wasn't happy Gibbs was getting final say, which I said, but was wrong about, but it was apparently correct. But you guys are forgetting he was also in his mid fifties and had family in San Diego and wanted to go there. I'm not saying it was one or the other, I'm saying it was the combination.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:16 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:If the locker room spirals out of control from here, I think you have to consider a change this offseason, if only to cut our losses. But I don't think we'll see things get that chaotic.


So far, the team never quits. They believe they can win any game until it's over. It's hard to even be contemplating it as a possibility.


I'm talking about the fallout from Shanahan's statements, which some players already expressed discontent over (on the condition of anonymity). Plus, have they had the best attitude if Sunday's performance against the Panthers was their comeback from a tough Steeler's loss?

I'm not saying there is a problem, and you know I'm not one to stir the pot of negativity just for kicks. But it's not unthinkable to me, and I've watched Redskins teams that have given up on coaches before. I'm getting a similar feeling about the way things are right now.

A good coach can clamp down on it and right the ship, and I think Shanahan is a good coach. So I don't think a meltdown is likely.


That makes sense. Though I think Shannahan's statements were overblown and stirred up by a controversy seeking/creating media. Obviously Shannahan didn't mean we were going rookie time. I think it was pretty obvious he wants to get everyone he can some playing time and find out who he wants, rookies and veterans. The media took a quote which often connotes rookie time, reported it in the way they did. I'd argue when they did it, they knew that isn't what he meant.

And yes, I totally know you're not a stirrer of negativity.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ
Posts: 13288
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:30 am

Back to the now - it's the Allen and Shanahan show

they have begun the process - unless Mike makes a complete mess of the rest of this season, they will be here next season

both players and coaches will get the opportunity to show that they should be a part of the RG3 era going forward


after this season, a number of contracts will not be renewed, we will have some players coming back that can help, the FO will use the draft and free agents to continue improving the franchise

the beat goes on :lol:
Robert Griffin will become a really good QB he's talented and smart

hopefully Kirk Cousins can make things happen till RG3 is ready to play again

HAIL


Week 3 - 27-21

**LPJ**
Posts: 6377
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:34 am

Deadskins wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:*side note*..

I like da avatar Mursilis.. congrats!

+1. Too bad you didn't get it seven or eight weeks ago, it might have gone far.


Oh dag was it that long ago? You gotta remember bro that I don't come in the public area too much. I'm usually cruisin in smack while gettin ---> :mrgreen:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

**LPJ**
Posts: 6377
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:36 am

And my stance on the Shanahans.. even though our talent pool isn't that deep (i'm talkin my baby can stand in it), I feel the whole dag gone coaching staff can go.

Shanahahahahahananananans can GO!

Take the whole staff wit ya'll, see ya! Peace out!

Do it now while RG3 is still young in the NFL and get him some coaches with some dag gone common sense.

That is all, Joe out.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:09 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:And my stance on the Shanahans.. even though our talent pool isn't that deep (i'm talkin my baby can stand in it), I feel the whole dag gone coaching staff can go.

Shanahahahahahananananans can GO!

Take the whole staff wit ya'll, see ya! Peace out!

Do it now while RG3 is still young in the NFL and get him some coaches with some dag gone common sense.

That is all, Joe out.


My dispute with your point isn't so much that it has to be Mikey, it's that you're adopting the gnat attention span approach to rebuilding that is the biggest reason we can't stop sucking.

Contrary to the belief of armchair fans like Ray, 2 1/2 year is not long enough to overhaul a roster and build a winning organization when we were as bad as we were. I expect to see progress this year, and I did. I expect to see more progress next year. If at the end of year four we're still 6-10 or so, then yeah, you're getting my attention. But advocating starting over now is just crazy.

I don't necessarily predict Mike will win a SB here, I see him more as a Perdue. A solid coach who builds a winning attitude. I just hope there's a Gibbs out there to finish the job. Though unlike Perdue, Shannahan did win it twice and now he has a great QB, I'm not conceding he won't.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:34 am

Contrary to the belief of armchair fans like Ray, 2 1/2 year is not long enough to overhaul a roster and build a winning organization when we were as bad as we were. I expect to see progress this year, and I did. I expect to see more progress next year. If at the end of year four we're still 6-10 or so, then yeah, you're getting my attention. But advocating starting over now is just crazy.


If 2.5 years isnt enough, how do you explain the Colts' turnaround? Do you really think that they have more talent than the Redskins? A 2-14 team is now 5-3, and they are in year 1 of a switch to a 3-4 and playing better than our D in year 3. And all of this with their head coach away from the team fighting cancer.
Suck and Luck

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm
Location: Frisco, Tejas

Postby fetus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 am

Honestly do you really want to rid RG3 of the coaching staff and scheme that he fits into???
With Shanny gone who knows what type of coach will come in not to mention who in their right mind would come in.
I'm sorry but I don't see a lot of out of work coaches worth a *sh$t*, lining up to take the Washington Redskins coaching job
I mean Jason Garrett may be out of a job next year, do we go after him... come on...

Stick with Shanny
RGIII and the terrible D

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football