Champ Bailey v2

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

Champ Bailey v2

Postby BossHog » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:15 am

I used the thread name v2 because I know the last time we had a thread on Champ's status it was quite long and heated.

So let's revisit the scenario...

Champ wants #1 CB money to stay a Redskin.... that's gonna be about 8 million per... there are 8 or 9 good CBs that will available for about half of that or less.

IMO, Champ has had his worst season as a Redskin this year. Oh sure he's playing 'tough' and working 'through the injuries', but he is getting burnt and burnt fairly often. This is not a guy who is creating a 'shut down half the field' mentality. Of course, we never man up, but he is getting flat out outrun in many instances.

So I ask you all again with another 4-6 weeks under the season's belt...

Is Champ worth the money?
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

aka Sarcastic Hog

Champ...?

Postby skinz74 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:34 am

As much as I love the guy, a pupil of the great one Darrell Green, I would have to let him go only if someone of his caliber could be picked up for like you said half the cost. The team has many needs (specifically fat guys on both sides of the line), but with many high salary players not contributing to their maximum. Solution; cut our losses with a few key players and fill the spots with performers who are capable of not just filling the spot but exceeding it. I think this would get the attention of a few of the others that their tenure could be short lived if they don't improve. Additionally, he's not helping matters for himself, knowing that we are in salary cap hell, turning down a reasonable offer to help rebuild the team...something I would add Darrell Green would NOT do.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:22 pm

Absolutely not. If we can get another quality CB at a better price, I say go for it...and free up the $$$ to invest in other areas: DL, OL, etc.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:19 pm

I too would go the FA route. Pad the previous offer somewhat, but not much more (Danny/VC please be judicious with the cash this time).

If Champ turns it down, then let him fly, as I would consider it an insult to ask for a lot more money given this years performances... I agree with Boss dude has been trailing on much of the coverage and has given up some big catches with some tight coverage.

IMO, SPEND THE MONEY ON THE D AND O LINES!!
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:25 pm

i say try to get someone else, he dosen't want to be here, this "pay me" s### is getting old, and is not good for the entire team....we already got a cap situation. he dosen't play like "the best" corner in the league. he can be replaced....plain and simple.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:55 pm

Really though, I don't blame him for not wanting to be here. Is it him or the coverage? He's been doing a damn good job IMO. He can't stop everything, and we are employing a zone coverage. Our CB's are great!

I'm sorry but some people on here seem to have never played football. Like I said in another thread, ANY CB is going to get beat often WITHOUT a decent pass rush. Its ridiculous to ask them to cover someone for 5,6,7,8 seconds. QB's should have no more than 4 secs. to deliver the ball making the CB's job a lot easier.

Heres a good example, remeber all the incompletions, INT
s, etc. we had this year? That was due to our lack of ability to stop the blitz. On the other side of the token we cannot create a rush leaving us with the other outcome, completed passes.

They've done decently for our lack of pass rush.

aka Sarcastic Hog

$$$$

Postby skinz74 » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:06 am

I think what everyone is referring to is wanting top bucks when we don't have them to spare...I'm not saying Bailey isn't doing a good job. Just not 8 million a year great...

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:42 pm

I say let him become someone else's cap nightmare.

I love his skills, but not for even top-5 corner $$$s
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:15 pm

Exactly... nobody is doubting his ability... he's a good CB... but if 6 mil a year isn't enough (what he was already offered) then I just don't see why the Skins should offer more than top 5 money.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

piggie

Postby The Skins Fan » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:01 pm

I completely agree with you Boss--Champ (you can throw Fred Smoot in there with half the secondary i.e. Jimoh, Bauman) have all been beaten more than a dozen eggs at IHOP...Not only let Champ go, but get rid of Jimoh, Bauman and David Terrell while your at it and have ol Danny Boy pays some $$$ on some free agents as well as 1 perhaps 2 draft picks or a possible trade with somebody and get some talent thats going to cost a whole lot less $$$ than Champ and the rest of those bumbling clowns...But I'll also say this, no matter if you re-sign Champ and go out and get 5 Pro Bowl backs to fill the entire secondary, they will still play like a bunch of schoolboys and still get burnt and embarrassed with George Edwards at the control panel...This defense and no other defense will work under this LAUGHING STOCK (THATS RIGHT GEORGE--LAUGHING STOCK!!!) of a defensive scheme
Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!!

Hog

Postby redskincity » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:23 pm

Nahhhhhhhhh!! Anything over five is to high. I rather spend money on a D-line and draft a corner :) Keeping Arrington is a must.
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:17 am

Jimoh's been burnt like toast...he should be sitting next to Trung. He needs to log some pine time to figure out what he's doing wrong and how to do it right, before he steps out onto the field again...he's not scaring anyone...

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Jimoh's been burnt like toast...he should be sitting next to Trung. He needs to log some pine time to figure out what he's doing wrong and how to do it right, before he steps out onto the field again...he's not scaring anyone...

i think he scares himself!?!?!?!?!
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:33 pm

I watched Jimoh play in person the last preseason game. My tickets weren't exactly good ones, so I had a bird's eye view of the game. One play in paticular Jimoh was actually turned on a 360...probably threw him right out of his shoes. Needless to say they got some points, and we lost to the Jag(sux) again, for the second time in a row that I had went to the game. Jimoh = Pinerider. Maybe I'm being too hard on the kid, but he didn't have to hear all those redneck Jag(fans) saying "Gatorskins Suck." There, I'll put down my Jimoh bashing bat now...sorry... :thump:

skinnns

Postby skinnns » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:42 pm

Here's my take on the situation. I've said this before and I'll day it again, I have never heard a GM or repsected analyst put another corner ahead of Champ.

I say that you tag him. Make the one year offern tender and start working a deal with LaVar.(personally I feel Champ is a better investment but this could work). You find out what it takes to pay LaVar and do it, so you don't have to worry about losing your franchise tag(you can go the whole way with it) and figure out if Champ can fit into the future cap. LaVar has to work a deal this summer, he's due 11 mil and even if they have accounted for this, NO ONE is worth that much of your cap(aproximately 15% of next year's cap).

That's my remedy. I would hate to see him go, and I don't blame him for turning down the deal he was offered. What is't talked about is that the deal Snyder offered him would not have paid him like a top corner in the true sense. That is determined by per year average, and the deal was well below Ty Law's. Also it didn't pay the bonus in full up front. And thirdly the way it works is if you are considered the top at your position you are paid like around the top of that side of the ball. Hence he isn't far off for asking for 18 million bonus.

Any ways this is my remedy for the situation. At the least we get Champ for one year at a bairgain, and we get LaVar out of the way, cause he'll want more(remember his hold out).

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football