Where can RGIII improve?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:58 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:This is and isn't my biggest concern with RGIII: Kyle!!!

The above was my first thought but as for RGIII himself:

He needs to know when to be daring. That's probably not in the 1st qtr. of the 1st game when he can take a risk and give us 2nd and 2 instead of 2nd and 8 near midfield. He might need to be lucky early until he learns when to be daring.

Vick still doesn't know.

DarthMonk

These remain my two biggest concerns right now - Kyle's dangerous play calling and RGIII's daring. I think Kyle could solve both with a little less exuberance with the option play.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Tweeter wrote:
Among QBs with 200+ attempts, RGIII's 3 INTs are tied for fewest in NFL with Tom Brady

Dude needs to cut down on the picks!

DarthMonk wrote:Under Kyle we have thrown 591 and then 605 passes. Yardage numbers are 3931 and 3773. TDs are 21 and 19.

My Predictions:

Griff will throw 600 times for 4,000 yards and 24 TDs. He will run for 400 yards and another 4 TDs.

He is an upgrade, isn't he?

Darthmonk

Current projections:

Passing:

ATT 466

YDS 3543

TDS 14

Rushing:

YDS 940

TDS 11

Now I'm thinking 500 passing attempts for 3700 yards and 15 TDs while running for 800 yards and 8 TDs. We have certainly emphasized Griff's running (Morris' as well). I think Griff is an excellent passer who just, as Lombardi said about Jurgensen, needs a little defense.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:26 pm

the implication that RG3 and Vick are 'similar' is way off

RG3 tries to involve his other players in ways to best help the offense while Vick tries to find ways in which he can best help the offense

2 very different QBs - IMO - :lol:

are we ever lucky to have this kid playing QB for the Redskins ...

and this is just the first year .... :lol:
RG3 needs to learn how to play QB in the NFL so he can take advantage of the weapons he has

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:43 am

SkinsJock wrote:the implication that RG3 and Vick are 'similar' is way off

Not directed at me, right? I've been a major expounder of the differences between them from before day 1.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:45 am

DarthMonk wrote:

Not directed at me, right? I've been a major expounder of the differences between them from before day 1.

DarthMonk

NO ... Not at all ... Just clarifying ....
There are still Reports almost insinuating that RG3 is a running QB when the yards gained are more because of the game planning and taking what the defense gives than PRIMARILY having RG3 run the ball

Sorry it looked like that .... I do know you we're the first to point to the difference
RG3 needs to learn how to play QB in the NFL so he can take advantage of the weapons he has

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:38 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

DarthMonk

NO ... Not at all ... Just clarifying ....
There are still Reports almost insinuating that RG3 is a running QB when the yards gained are more because of the game planning and taking what the defense gives than PRIMARILY having RG3 run the ball

Sorry it looked like that .... I do know you we're the first to point to the difference

RG3's biggest weakness seems to me to be long throws, but I'm not sure about that. We don't have anyone who seems to be able to run under the ball. The receiver's suck, which makes a big difference. The biggest problem with the offense, however, is that our defense won't let them on the field, and when they do go on, they know they have to score....The pressure's turned way up and its hard to get in a groove, especially when receivers drop balls or fail to get open. I think desperation is getting to RG3. He's human, and getting no real help from anyone except Morris, who's flagging in second halves because of overwork.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:33 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:RG3's biggest weakness seems to me to be long throws, but I'm not sure about that. We don't have anyone who seems to be able to run under the ball. The receiver's suck, which makes a big difference. The biggest problem with the offense, however, is that our defense won't let them on the field, and when they do go on, they know they have to score....The pressure's turned way up and its hard to get in a groove, especially when receivers drop balls or fail to get open. I think desperation is getting to RG3. He's human, and getting no real help from anyone except Morris, who's flagging in second halves because of overwork.

I've seen enough good deep balls to say it's not a weakness. It's relative though. I agree with everything else.

I'd say Griff has no athletic/physical weakness. The area in which he can improve most is on the mental side - and he seems to learn there rapidly.

He'll never be faster than he is now. He may gain a little strength. He figures to get a lot better at the mental aspects.

Will Kyle and Mike aid that or inhibit it?

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:52 pm

It's really hard to say where he could improve. He seems to learn from mistakes. He only has Moss and Morgan right now. I agree his deep balls are lacking but he needs help there. Hard to judge.

piggie

Postby Redskinsfansince81 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:36 pm

He needs to be more careful when he runs. For example: not going airborn running up the middle. LOL

It was also be nice if Kyle didn't send him into pass routes to get rocked.
IF you're going to send him out for a pass tell the passer not to throw to him if he's covered.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:59 pm

I think he can improve in every single area - after all, he IS a rookie. But he already does most things better than any Redskins QB we've seen in the last 25 years (at least).

The NFC East should be very afraid.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:00 pm

There have been another 4 or 5 plays today which have been serious "Wow" moments. Unbelievable athletic ability, pocket presence, accuracy.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:34 pm

As mentioned above, RG3 needs to improve his defense.

Otherwise, he is better than any Redskin QB that I have seen...except for Sonny (too young to remember Sammy except as a picture at the Queenstown barber shop)

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 pm

He needs to be 15 of 15 and 5 TD passes, instead of this lame 14 of 15 and 4 TDs. :wink:

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:43 pm

welch wrote:As mentioned above, RG3 needs to improve his defense.

Otherwise, he is better than any Redskin QB that I have seen...except for Sonny (too young to remember Sammy except as a picture at the Queenstown barber shop)

I remember Sonny well. Started watching when Lebaron was playing. I don't know if RG3 is Sonny's equal as a passer, or superior. But Sonny couldn't run.
At any rate, if RG3 just stays as good as he is for ten years or so, he'll be a HOFer and probably the best player, not just better quarterback, than the Skins have ever had. I do think he'll put up better numbers than now...when some coach cuts him loose as a passer. We need to pass more.

I also think we're a better defense and a couple of great receivers away from a super bowl. Maybe Garcon is one; Davis won't be great, just good. We need a another receiver of true quality. Pull out the bucks, Danny. Now's the time.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:43 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:
welch wrote:As mentioned above, RG3 needs to improve his defense.

I remember Sonny well. Started watching when Lebaron was playing. I don't know if RG3 is Sonny's equal as a passer, or superior. But Sonny couldn't run.
At any rate, if RG3 just stays as good as he is for ten years or so, he'll be a HOFer and probably the best player, not just better quarterback, than the Skins have ever had. I do think he'll put up better numbers than now...when some coach cuts him loose as a passer. We need to pass more.

I also think we're a better defense and a couple of great receivers away from a super bowl. Maybe Garcon is one; Davis won't be great, just good. We need a another receiver of true quality. Pull out the bucks, Danny. Now's the time.
Ummm... did you forget? The league stole 32 mil in cap space... Danny was willing to spend, but couldn't... Of course, it looks like there will be some cap carryover, so, take that, Mara...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football