Kicker

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:15 am

Forbath made a GREAT kick for us, AND, under BIG pressure - no question

I do think that having a kicker that is able to make a high percentage of his FGs is important, but, if the offense is going to score a lot of points, the field position off the kickoffs is also important

I think this is something he needs to improve on - Forbath needs to get that done - not too much to expect :wink:

Forbath needs to work on this is all I'm pointing out
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:29 am

SkinsJock wrote:Forbath made a GREAT kick for us, AND, under BIG pressure - no question

I do think that having a kicker that is able to make a high percentage of his FGs is important, but, if the offense is going to score a lot of points, the field position off the kickoffs is also important

I think this is something he needs to improve on - Forbath needs to get that done - not too much to expect :wink:

I don't give a dam about his kickoffs. As long as he makes all of his kicks (our over 90%) I can deal with kick offs that land at the goal line. We do pay the guys that cover kicks, right?
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:48 am

I totally agree with having kickers that make all their FGs ... UNFORTUNATELY - I don't make the choice about who plays :lol:

Kickers that cannot consistently ENSURE bad field position for the other team are not keeping their job for very long

how hard is it to find a way to do that? As Countertrey points out - he just needs to drive it thru the end zone

Forbath only has to work on improving his kickoffs - HOW HARD IS THAT :D
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

piglet

Postby blowwad » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:24 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Forbath made a GREAT kick for us, AND, under BIG pressure - no question

I don't give a dam about his kickoffs. As long as he makes all of his kicks (our over 90%) I can deal with kick offs that land at the goal line. We do pay the guys that cover kicks, right?

Hear hear!!! After all the years of sweating it out for every stinkin' field goal try it's an absolute pleasure to sit back and watch a 48 yard (or 28 yard for that matter) field goal try without a drop of sweat forming on my brow. I'll take the shorter kickoffs.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:43 am

We like great FG kickers .. HCs and FO guys could care less what 'we' like

Great FG kickers keep their jobs but ... if you miss 1 AND you're not making a huge effort to ensure great field position off each and every kick off, you will not have a job for long

I'm all for Forbath making every FG .. but he's got to show Mike & Danny that he's able to make better kick offs

just sayin' - get 'er done :lol:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:10 pm

I LOVE the fact that Forbath is making all his kicks .. AND ... these have not been easy kicks ...

I just want him to find a way to ensure decent field position on the kickoffs

Forbath is doing really well at part of his job is all I'm saying

he has a good leg - get it thru the end zone or make sure it's high enough for our players to stop the returner inside the 20

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:10 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I LOVE the fact that Forbath is making all his kicks .. AND ... these have not been easy kicks ...

I just want him to find a way to ensure decent field position on the kickoffs

Forbath is doing really well at part of his job is all I'm saying

he has a good leg - get it thru the end zone or make sure it's high enough for our players to stop the returner inside the 20

It's non issue. We don't care. Mike doesn't care. He doesn't have to do a darn thing but continue being a good kicker.

Our coverage units have been top notch for quite some time. Nobody has come close to breaking a long gainer or TD.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Forbath is great at kicking FGs - he's NOT great at kicking off a tee

you may not care and many here may not care about that - trust me he will get better at kickoffs or we will see another even better FG kicker here that can also be a 'complete' kicker :lol:

Forbath understands this

AND

he will get better ... or he will be gone :)

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Imo he kicked off better then expected yesterday. What was there average starting position the 15? With two through the endzone? The hell else you want SJ?!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:04 pm

I don't want anything :lol:

I'm just pointing to the fact that Forbath is a great FG kicker

that ...

needs to become a better kicker off the tee - hate to see him go ...

but

another great kicker will be kicking here if this one doesn't get better at the really easy task of kicking off a tee :lol:

I'm loving watching this guy's FG kicking ... I'm sure Danny Smith and Mike are watching ... and waiting also ... :wink:

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:09 pm

John Keim on why Forbath is doing well and Gano and Cundif didn't do well here
Said this after Kai Forbath’s debut and I’ll say it again: The guy doesn’t worry about any outside factors when he’s kicking, he just kicks. The Redskins used to get frustrated with Graham Gano because of how he’d explain his misses or what he needed to work on. He was a bit detailed (which, of course, we appreciated). Then there was Billy Cundiff, who didn’t like to make excuses but he would always point out and discuss the “timing issues”. But Forbath just kicks. It might be a surprise to many outside the organization that he’s perfect on all 10 attempts, but I think when you know his personality you know he has a good mindset to handle this job. At some point he’ll miss a kick, but given his demeanor he won’t fret about it. The Redskins should be thankful that Cundiff struggled early in his tenure here; they found something much better.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:22 am

Love Forbath. Yes I think we have found our guy.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:03 am

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:58 am

[quote="SkinsJock"]I don't want anything :lol:

I'm just pointing to the fact that Forbath is a great FG kicker

that ...

needs to become a better kicker off the tee - hate to see him go ...

but

another great kicker will be kicking here if this one doesn't get better at the really easy task of kicking off a tee :lol:

I'm loving watching this guy's FG kicking ... I'm sure Danny Smith and Mike are watching ... and waiting also ... :wink: [/quote]
Yes, he needs to improve his kickoffs (something he never did before coming to the Skins) and he is!

But you are CRAZY if you think they will let him go of he continues to play the way he is!!!

If he continues to make 100% of his kicks, he's staying. If he makes 95% of his kicks he's staying and if he makes 90% of his kicks he's staying. I don't care if he improves his kickoffs one bit he is staying as long as when they trot him out there to kick aFG they have already put the three points on the board in their minds.

He would have to go in FG slump or his KOs would have to get worse.

Your fooling yourself of you think his KOs are bad enough to warrant them even considering cutting him for even a nano second!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:48 am

SkinsJock wrote:Forbath is great at kicking FGs - he's NOT great at kicking off a tee

Umm... wow. Well, we saw him kick it through the end zone several times in Dallas and in others games, so we therefore know he has the leg-strength to do it.

What I'm wondering though, is how do you know that the shorter kick-offs aren't by design? You keep talking about creating bad field position for the opponent, yet you aren't acknowledging that a shorter kick-off gives the cover-team a chance to produce worse starting field position for the opposing offense by stopping the returner inside the 20 yard line.

The Skins have a pretty darn good special-teams unit and they're pretty darn good at covering kick-offs. They've stopped the returner many times inside the 20.

So if your cover unit is good and has that capability, wouldn't it be - at times - to their advantage to have the kicker attempt to kick the ball a bit shorter, right in that uncertain grey area of the end-zone where the returner is forced to make a split-second decision as to whether he should bring the ball out of the end-zone or not, possibly stalling for just a second and presenting the kick-coverage team with a good chance of stopping him inside the 20 yard line if he does bring it out, thereby creating worse starting field position for their offense?

So again, how do you know the shorter kick-offs aren't by design?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football