From the "outside" looking in....

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---

From the "outside" looking in....

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Per MMQB wrote:Will Montgomery, C, Washington. A standout all season for Washington, he's the No. 2 rated center in the game this year, according to ProFootballFocus.com rankings. Montgomery kept Robert Griffin III clean all game Thursday and was a force in the running game as well. The Redskins did a very smart thing in the offseason when they knew they were in cap jail but also knew they wanted to keep this promising 29-year-old center as the centerpiece for a rebuilt line to protect RGIII. They signed him to an extension through the 2016 season, guaranteeing only $2.5 million of his deal; Montgomery will earn $12 million over the next four years, a good deal for a center who earned it, and a good deal for the team paying him.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z2DLwuQJuc

- I find this interesting because in the past 2 weeks I've seen glowing articles about our Center by national publicity.

But...

- From within the fan-base (inside), he's garbage. And the offensive line is garbage...

I think this fanbase is too hard on this team. But that's just my opinion. I'm reading posts in other threads saying that we need to fire Kyle. YET!! I'm listening to podcasts by Greg Cossell, an esteemed NFL analyst) and he's praising the work done by Kyle. His latest podcast talks about new concepts within the NFL and he's going in detail about how the Redskins are doing something totally unique within the NFL.

It seems as if a lot of people don't watch any other team but the Redskins. What I've found as I watched game, after game, after game is that the teams where we feel the grass is greener, they go through the same things. I'm watching the Ravens play (praying they lose) and I see their LB's struggling in coverage, just like ours. #shrug
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Montgomery did some nice blocking on the second level this week. People are starting to comment on it more and more.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Re: From the "outside" looking in....

Postby markshark84 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Per MMQB wrote:Will Montgomery, C, Washington. A standout all season for Washington, he's the No. 2 rated center in the game this year, according to ProFootballFocus.com rankings. Montgomery kept Robert Griffin III clean all game Thursday and was a force in the running game as well. The Redskins did a very smart thing in the offseason when they knew they were in cap jail but also knew they wanted to keep this promising 29-year-old center as the centerpiece for a rebuilt line to protect RGIII. They signed him to an extension through the 2016 season, guaranteeing only $2.5 million of his deal; Montgomery will earn $12 million over the next four years, a good deal for a center who earned it, and a good deal for the team paying him.

- I find this interesting because in the past 2 weeks I've seen glowing articles about our Center by national publicity.

But...

- From within the fan-base (inside), he's garbage. And the offensive line is garbage...

I think this fanbase is too hard on this team. But that's just my opinion. I'm reading posts in other threads saying that we need to fire Kyle. YET!! I'm listening to podcasts by Greg Cossell, an esteemed NFL analyst) and he's praising the work done by Kyle. His latest podcast talks about new concepts within the NFL and he's going in detail about how the Redskins are doing something totally unique within the NFL.

It seems as if a lot of people don't watch any other team but the Redskins. What I've found as I watched game, after game, after game is that the teams where we feel the grass is greener, they go through the same things. I'm watching the Ravens play (praying they lose) and I see their LB's struggling in coverage, just like ours. #shrug

Guess you haven't been reading my posts..... :lol:

I have always maintained that Montgomery is a very good center and think that Kyle has done a very good job of basically creating an offense to fit around RGIII.

I think people tend to see what they want to see --- and once they have made up their mind, they won't change it. Kyle has done a good job this year. We're 7th in the NFL in points scored. 2nd in the NFL in rushing. Meanwhile we still have a below avg OL, WRs, and TEs. The only thing Kyle has been able to work with is RGIII and Morris. Kyle has been very creative and successful in scheming for a poor OL and lack of consistent passing options for RGIII.

While I still believe we need to upgrade our OL, the center position is not one of need. I have actually been fairly happy with Polumbus, but we unquestionably still need an upgrade -- but believe that upgrades at both OG positions are more important. That said, we have bigger holes to fill in our secondary --- which should be our numbers 1, 2, and 3 concerns. These will have to wait.

I also watch other teams, but can honestly say that our secondary is one of the worst I have seen. The perverbial grass is dead on our side of the street.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:20 pm

I think it's often the case that the people with bad things to say make more noise than the people with good things to say, especially after a loss but sometimes also after a win (maybe not so much after a string of wins). I know some fans go through pains to point out positives or progress on some dimension or another, but that's not really the way most fans can or do operate. I think most of us do watch other teams, but because we don't suffer emotional trauma from their defeats and because we haven't so internalized their past failings, we may be quicker to (consciously or subconsciously) excuse their missteps in a way we don't for the Skins.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:22 pm

cvillehog wrote:I think it's often the case that the people with bad things to say make more noise than the people with good things to say, especially after a loss but sometimes also after a win (maybe not so much after a string of wins). I know some fans go through pains to point out positives or progress on some dimension or another, but that's not really the way most fans can or do operate. I think most of us do watch other teams, but because we don't suffer emotional trauma from their defeats and because we haven't so internalized their past failings, we may be quicker to (consciously or subconsciously) excuse their missteps in a way we don't for the Skins.

I agree. The board is always much quieter after a win or string of wins, especially when they are blowouts. I don't get it myself . . . that's when I tend to check the board the most. :) But to each his own.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Good post CLL !!!

I "was" one of those people that complained about our OL this season and I must say I am happy to eat my words after the last couple of weeks.

Glad to see them "gel" and make an impact the way they have. Blocking for RG and our RBs have made it hard on defenses and they've been giving RG time to find WRs.

Keep up the great work OL, very proud of you all !!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:41 pm

I think a lot of the criticism is a carry over from last year. The o-line is definitely better this year than last. This years O-line has a better quarterback and a running back that fits the scheme better. The holes they open are hit faster and they do not have to hold their blocks as long. That alone improves their confidence and makes them better.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

But...

C'mon, Chris. Kyle sucks, Monty sucks, our kicker can only make FGs, Moss is too old, we never shoulda signed Morgan, and the Cowboys are America's team!

#sarcasm
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:04 pm

One thing to notice about Montgomery is that we're not seeing the defense crunch the middle like they had with Rabach at center. I'm on record for disliking Rabach. Montgomery's play clearly has outshown his predecesor's.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:36 pm

For the most part I have been impressed with Kyle. Time management and throwing a few yards short of the first on 3rd downs would be my beef.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:20 pm

The offensive line is the best it's been in years. Polumbus has been surprisingly serviceable, Williams is a beast, and the interior line is quietly holding his own.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm not so sure about Polumbus. I think he is our weakest link.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:41 pm

I would add that some here like to make posts out to be different than intended :lol:

I think Kyle is a good OC - I think that the offense would do better with someone else - RG3 has turned bad play calls into good plays - that's just my opinion - I could care less what the stats say - RG3 made a lot of the plays that make Kyle look better as an OC

I think Forbath is a really good FG kicker who needs to work on his kick offs - UNTIL I found out that Mike and Danny do NOT want him putting the ball through the end zone so that the kick coverage teams can ensure good field position .. thanks for clarifying that for me :roll:

I like what this FO has done and I think that Mike will get another year, however I'm looking forward to Mike not being the HC - so what :lol:

I think that this franchise has done really well considering where we were in 2009

I'm looking forward to this next game - it's fun to watch these guys play again
Robert Griffin will become a really good QB he's talented and smart

hopefully Kirk Cousins can make things happen till RG3 is ready to play again

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:03 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I think this fanbase is too hard on this team. But that's just my opinion.

Nah I agree with you, CLL. The fanbase has been beat down and has no patience anymore. I don't really remember if it was always this way or not. Just is what it is.

Honestly though, I don't think I've read a lot of complaints about the o-line this season though - at least here on this message board. It seems like we all expected the line would be terrible, and they haven't been. People haven't been giving them much credit. I think a lot of fans feel like the credit is more due to RGIII than the line?

That's cool about Montgomery. Lichtensteiger has been surprisingly good and solid this season too IMO.

SkinsJock, I am dying to know who this mystery OC is we can hire who is so much better than Kyle???? :)

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:07 am

SJ is trying to have it both ways, which I guess is his prerogative.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football