From the "outside" looking in....

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:19 am

cvillehog wrote:SJ is trying to have it both ways, which I guess is his prerogative.

I'll just say SJ may be critical of the team at times, but he's been one of the guys preaching patience for the past year. He hasn't been one of those fans screaming that we have to fire the entire staff anytime we lose a game.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:56 am

This line this year is better. But one must ask is it better because they are getting better and finally have some chemistry playing together or does RG3 mask issues? I also think the weak links are right guard and right tackle. I for some reason don't like Chester and Polumbus. Maybe I am just a homer but I wonder how good this line would be if Jammal Brown was healthy and was playing.

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:30 am

I'll be the first to admit that I need to eat a big pile of crow when it comes to Monty. I thought we needed an immediate upgrade there, but he is playing at a pro bowl level this year.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:46 am

Smithian wrote:The offensive line is the best it's been in years. Polumbus has been surprisingly serviceable, Williams is a beast, and the interior line is quietly holding his own.

I think RGIII makes this OL look much better than it actually is. Much better.

Polumbus is serviceable. Not great, but he is doing more than expected (at least from me). I personally thought he would be a huge liability and teams would stack that side. Now they may have done this if RGIII and his abiility to run quickly to the other side wasn't there....

Both guards are again, serviceable or mediocre at best. It is MHO that Morris is the true beast. If he were even an average RB and went down on even 50% of first contact, we would be talking much differently about our OGs.

I have generally maintained that the OL is what makes RBs and QBs look good. I have been self-corrected in that I believe RGIII and Morris have actually made our below-avg to mediocre OL look half decent.

As someone most would consider a more "realistic" poster, I can whole-heartedly say it is MHO that Morris is a top 3 RB in the league (honestly there is NOT ONE single RB I would trade Morris for straight up) and RGIII is a top 10 QB (can't put him in top 5 above Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees, and Ryan right now). That kind of talent really makes a line look much better than it really is.
Last edited by markshark84 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:58 am

markshark84 wrote:
Smithian wrote:The offensive line is the best it's been in years. Polumbus has been surprisingly serviceable, Williams is a beast, and the interior line is quietly holding his own.

DUH :lol:

RG3 makes EVERYONE (ALL the players on offense) look better :lol:

RG3 makes Kyle Shanahan look much better :twisted:

gotta love it :lol:
Griffin can become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:07 am

SkinsJock wrote:
markshark84 wrote:

I heard RGIII just kicked Chuck Norris' ass.

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:07 am

SkinsJock wrote:
markshark84 wrote:

Nice to see people are coming to understand EVERYTHING I was saying during my 250+ postings during my anti-JC tenure.

BTWs --- did anyone catch JCs incredible :lol: game in Cutler's absence last week? I actually recall a thread back in 2008 (or somewhere around there) where a large majority of posters on this cite proclaiming that JC was BETTER than Cutler...... :shock: JC was literally booed off the field after playing the second half of the Texans game (No, I'm not that obsessed, well....... no, I live in Houston). In the SF game, I was told that the announcers were saying JC was doing all the dumb things he did in DC like missing receivers, dumping off to RBs, slow reads. I guess old habits die hard.....

Could it be that all the JC excuses were just that --- excuses...... :o

If there is one MAJOR thing we can all take away from this season and RGIII --- it the fact that great players produce; regardless of cirumstance. They make it work no matter what. Excuses are the quickest way to long-lasting failure.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

JSPB22

Re: From the "outside" looking in....

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 pm

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I think this fanbase is too hard on this team. But that's just my opinion.

Nah I agree with you, CLL. The fanbase has been beat down and has no patience anymore. I don't really remember if it was always this way or not. Just is what it is.

Honestly though, I don't think I've read a lot of complaints about the o-line this season though - at least here on this message board. It seems like we all expected the line would be terrible, and they haven't been. People haven't been giving them much credit. I think a lot of fans feel like the credit is more due to RGIII than the line?

That's cool about Montgomery. Lichtensteiger has been surprisingly good and solid this season too IMO.

SkinsJock, I am dying to know who this mystery OC is we can hire who is so much better than Kyle???? :)

Very many, but not all. And yes, RGIII is a big part of it.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:49 pm

It's not like all these things are mutually exclusive or that something is due to all one person. As boring as it is, clearly it's some combination of line play, RG3's play and coaching/scheming.

My comment about SJ wanting it both ways (which applies to others as well) is their heads-I-win/tales-you-lose approach to issues. If a play fails or a game is lost, that's Kyle's (or Mike's) fault; if a play goes well or a game is won, that's the players (specifically RG3).

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:13 pm

:lol: I like it :lol:

My main issue with Kyle is that I don't think he has as much faith in the run game as he should - I'm old fashioned about having a good run game while at the same time, I firmly believe in setting up a good run game with the pass ...

since Kyle has been the OC here he has not shown the patience that I think a good OC needs and has tended to go to call too many high risk plays too early in the game

having a good ground game and a good pass defense is to me the best chance for success Kyle has often gone away from the run game to try and "make something happen .." and to force the issue when he does not have the weapons

credit where credit is due - I do think that between Mike and Kyle we have done well offensively ....
I just don't think that a lot of that is due to Kyle - that's just me

I don't have anyone in mind to be OC - I just think that there are a lot of OCs that could do better with this incredible QB

I also think that Mike and Kyle are here for another year ... and that's not a bad thing ... I just feel we could do better without both Mike and Kyle

I'm just looking forward to seeing this incredibly talented QB with a better OC .. it will happen eventually :twisted:

hey it's a fan's site - what the ... :lol:
Griffin can become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football