tribeofjudah's Bible study

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:47 am

Cappster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:I have some questions for Cappster. Do you believe in love? If so, can you scientifically prove love exists, or do you have to go on personal experience, and the experiences of billions of other people? Anecdotal evidence is still evidence, even if you don't acknowledge it.

Science can prove that there is a biological/chemical reaction that causes certain sensations that we call emotions to be felt that lead to feelings "of love." To be more direct in answering the question, I do believe in love. Can someone conclusively say that I love them or that I feel certain chemically induced emotions for them? Not really, but I can use my conscious mind to come up with ways to show them that I do, indeed, care.

If I do something for someone I love such as rubbing my girlfriends back after a long day, she would be able to verify that it was I who was rubbing her back. If she said to me that she felt the sensation of someone rubbing her back and that it was God who was doing the work, I would look at her like she was crazy.

So, I'll ask you the same question that I asked Tribe. Would you sacrifice a child of yours, because God told you to? And to add to that, would you ever ask your child to murder his/her child to prove their love for you? And this is usually the part where it becomes more evident that religion requires the suspension of critical thinking in order to control the minds of te congregation.

No, science can't pinpoint neuro-chemical reactions that result in emotions. They know there are certain parts of the brain which perform certain functions, and chemicals which can cause certain reactions, but there are always exceptions, and research is always ongoing. There are many interesting cases where the brain rewires itself after trauma to the normal centers that control certain functions. It is a process of discovery, as is all science, but there are no definitive answers. The same is true of God. I'm glad you acknowledged that people can recognize the love of another through acts (read personal evidence) of that love.

I've also asked myself many times about the Abraham dilemma. I don't believe God would ever ask that of me or anyone else, but if I could be sure it was God asking me to do this (and I don't really know how I would be sure in this hypothetical), I would have to sacrifice my son. How could I not?

I don't understand why you think this question "requires the suspension of critical thinking," though. I know that in the charicature you have in your mind of religious people, that they are all drones, without curiosity or doubts, but that is the furthest thing from my experience. It's actually the non-believers, who seem to take the hardest stances without allowing for the possibility of other paradigms.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:54 am

Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:Did everthing start with the big bang? Is that the moment time starts? If so then you get both. Everything has always been and you get something out of nothing.......... I think :lol:
Well, according to the theory, space and time are intertwined as one. So there was no time before the Big Bang. Unless you also subscribe to the Big Crunch theory, which is when the universe collapses in on itself, and the whole thing starts over agan. Also, the Big Bang theory starts with a singularity, not nothing, so it's not really a creation out of nothing theory.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:55 pm

when i die, I'll make a post and let ya'll know what's really going ok?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:48 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:when i die, I'll make a post and let ya'll know what's really going ok?

You do any damn thing you want, LPJ. :hail:
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Deadskins wrote:but if I could be sure it was God asking me to do this (and I don't really know how I would be sure in this hypothetical),

This is all I'm really saying.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Deadskins wrote:No, science can't pinpoint neuro-chemical reactions that result in emotions. They know there are certain parts of the brain which perform certain functions, and chemicals which can cause certain reactions, but there are always exceptions, and research is always ongoing. There are many interesting cases where the brain rewires itself after trauma to the normal centers that control certain functions. It is a process of discovery, as is all science, but there are no definitive answers. The same is true of God. I'm glad you acknowledged that people can recognize the love of another through acts (read personal evidence) of that love.

I've also asked myself many times about the Abraham dilemma. I don't believe God would ever ask that of me or anyone else, but if I could be sure it was God asking me to do this (and I don't really know how I would be sure in this hypothetical), I would have to sacrifice my son. How could I not?

I don't understand why you think this question "requires the suspension of critical thinking," though. I know that in the charicature you have in your mind of religious people, that they are all drones, without curiosity or doubts, but that is the furthest thing from my experience. It's actually the non-believers, who seem to take the hardest stances without allowing for the possibility of other paradigms.

Science may not be able to pinpoint what exactly happens, but we do know that a biological/chemical reaction does, indeed happen. Anyway, the difference between the feeling of love towards another person compared to some God is that we know the other person exists. They are physically alive (barring any crazy situations that undoubtedly exists) and no one can say that they've had a conversation with god and how god told them how he loved them so.

And the key difference between science and religion is that science relies on evidence while religion relies on faith or lack of evidence. Just like there is evidence that the Theory of Evolution is true unlike the 6,000 year old creationists who only use the Bible for their source of science.

I am not saying all religious people are drones, but they are under heavy influence not to challenge the beliefs that they have been indoctrinated with. I've been on the other side of the fence and had to struggle with what I believe when I was a good little church boy. Luckily, I grew up to the facade of religion portrays which is a lot of deception and half (if any) truths. I think most non-believers are open to the idea of their being a God. We just want evidence to back up the claim that there is some deity that is in control of everything.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:49 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:when i die, I'll make a post and let ya'll know what's really going ok?
I'll expect to hear from you right after Houdini calls... :wink:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Countertrey wrote:

How old are you, Trey? Houdini was the FIRST thing I thought of before I posted what I did.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:22 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

How old are you, Trey? Houdini was the FIRST thing I thought of before I posted what I did.

DarthMonk
I'm only 60. Barely done with adolescence...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Countertrey wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

DarthMonk
I'm only 60. Barely done with adolescence...

OK. 53.

Houdini was a fairly big part of my childhood. Saw the famous movie and read a lot of books.

Griff's pulled a few Houdinis, no?

Call him Robert-Houdin.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1qb3f ... 6_creation

Nice.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Houdini can't see me... I'm indavisible
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 pm

BIBLE STUDY, continued

DON'T BE FOOLED by movies and reality shows about "lost soul" or any deceased (good or bad) floating around as ghosts.

The dead know NOTHING and are dead, as if asleep - UNTIL they are awakened by GOD.........to go either to Eternal Life or to perish and be NO MORE (the wicked do not burn for all eternity), that's a teaching of man.

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Floating ghosts....come on man..!!!
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:38 am

Hmmmm....no need for bible study during a seven game win streak?
;-)
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

cappster

Postby Cappster » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:31 am

tribeofjudah wrote:BIBLE STUDY, continued

DON'T BE FOOLED by movies and reality shows about "lost soul" or any deceased (good or bad) floating around as ghosts.

The dead know NOTHING and are dead, as if asleep - UNTIL they are awakened by GOD.........to go either to Eternal Life or to perish and be NO MORE (the wicked do not burn for all eternity), that's a teaching of man.

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Floating ghosts....come on man..!!!

I've experienced the paranormal and have captured evidence of it. Not to mention others have captured evidence of paranormal activity. Here is a bible study for you:

Psalms 137:9

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Capp, those are demons disguising as the deceased......playing like they have come back to life.

DON'T BE FOOLED
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Return to The Lounge