Jake for HOF

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Jake for HOF

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:21 am

Other nominees from the 2013 class include WR Andre Reed, who played 15 years with the Buffalo Bills before finishing his career with one season in Washington in 2000. Offensive linemen Larry Allen and Jonathon Ogden, as well as defensive linemen Michael Strahan and Warren Sapp were also nominated in their first year of eligibility.

At 6'7" and 325 pounds, Jacoby was a giant of his time and a forerunner for the enormous men who now play the offensive line. In 2012 a tackle of Jacoby's size is not unusual, but in 1981 it was virtually unheard-of, but part of offensive line coach Joe Bugel's plan to build a powerful offensive attack behind superior brute force.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:32 am

Jake belongs, no doubt about it. He set the standard for LT in the league. And then moved to the other side and was just as good.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:32 am

It is time, of course... but the list of selectors remains populated with the pseudointellectuals of the NY, NY and Bristol, CN area codes...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:35 am

I think he deserves to get in, but don't think he ever wil (unless the senior committee puts him in). He certainly won't go in with the group of first year eligible candidates. They could select the entire class from the first year group.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:56 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I think he deserves to get in, but don't think he ever wil (unless the senior committee puts him in). He certainly won't go in with the group of first year eligible candidates. They could select the entire class from the first year group.
This is a quality first year candidate class... for sure.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Put him in already stupid voters!
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Just remember how long it took a no brainer like Monk to get in......

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:24 pm

And since we play the Giants Monday....I'll go there. I have heard many times that he isn't getting in because LT owned him in the 86 NFC CHampionship game. Sorry, LT was high as a kite on crack that game like he was most others so I don't think that should keep Jake out of the Hall. I really don't. I remember LT saying many times he brought a little extra when they played the Skins and I say his little extra was a dime bag of crack.

Hog

Postby DaveD1420 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:50 pm

FLWSkin wrote:And since we play the Giants Monday....I'll go there. I have heard many times that he isn't getting in because LT owned him in the 86 NFC CHampionship game. Sorry, LT was high as a kite on crack that game like he was most others so I don't think that should keep Jake out of the Hall. I really don't. I remember LT saying many times he brought a little extra when they played the Skins and I say his little extra was a dime bag of crack.

I've been saying that LT's play has been over-exaggerated for years. Yes, he was a monster and one of the most physically gifted players of all time, but all you have to do is go to YouTube to find videos showing how many large cops it takes to apprehend a skinny, coked-out suspect to see what coke can do to you. I might make the HOF if I played in that condition, too. :)

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:51 pm

DaveD1420 wrote:
FLWSkin wrote:And since we play the Giants Monday....I'll go there. I have heard many times that he isn't getting in because LT owned him in the 86 NFC CHampionship game. Sorry, LT was high as a kite on crack that game like he was most others so I don't think that should keep Jake out of the Hall. I really don't. I remember LT saying many times he brought a little extra when they played the Skins and I say his little extra was a dime bag of crack.

I've been saying that LT's play has been over-exaggerated for years. Yes, he was a monster and one of the most physically gifted players of all time, but all you have to do is go to YouTube to find videos showing how many large cops it takes to apprehend a skinny, coked-out suspect to see what coke can do to you. I might make the HOF if I played in that condition, too. :)

I think it is paper/rock/scissors: LT was too quick for Jacoby in '86, but Jacoby flattened LT whenever they ran that way ("The Coach": "Pat, I want you to look at the way Jacobny pancaked :LT on that last play!").

[However, every time I see the title, I think of Our Jake...then think, Oh, right...Big Joe]

Additionally, listen to John Madden: "Dave Butz never gets moved anyplace he doesn't want to go". Or the play that took the sneer out of Dierdorf in SB 22: "Dave Butz just collapsed two blockers and got Elway on that QB draw. Butz took out three guys at the same time..."

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:31 am

I was at that game. smh
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:41 pm

I need to go back and do some research, but I think this happened before the 1990 season. LT had one more strike with the league about drug abuse, which included alchol. He was found passed out in his car with an empty case of beer in his car covered in his own piss and vomit, and he beat the drug test because they said he didn't have any in his system because he was covered in it. Win with class LT, win with class. Not to mention having sex with 15 year old hookers. He is just a disgusting human being.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Should we remember that Jim Lachey "owned" LT: so nimble that Taylor cpuldn;t get around, so strong that Taylor couldn;t go through him. Belicheck finally took to hiding LT, sending some to engage Lachey, and then having Taylor rush. Could not beat Lachey one-on-one

Nobody else got around Jacoby, and Big Joe played so long that he started at LT, RT, and G, I think.

How many tackles, other than Lachey and Mark May, were nearly as good as Jacoby during his time?

That's the question: who else?

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:18 am

Chris Samuels went to more Probowls than Jacoby. To me that shows why PB numbers shouldn't be used as a measuring stick.

As someone that has seen them both play I can tell you Jacoby was better.

From a pure talent stand point Lachey was better than both, but Lachey's career want long enough.
Last edited by skinsfan#33 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:10 pm

Dude we all know it's pretty sad the state of voting for the HOF, I mean we can get LT in there but not Dexter Manley? Every damn one of the Hogs should be in the HOF. Name me one better offensive line ever...Chris Samuels better be in there day one as well.....................

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football