RGIII taking too many hits?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:43 pm

FLWSkin wrote:It is the media template. RGIII gets hit too much and is going to get hurt. That was decided before the season so that's what they all say. Research and doing your job doesn't matter in reporting anymore.

Yeah, that's kind of been my impression lately. Just seems like that is the narrative, and they're sticking with it.

I just kind of laughed listening to Gruden harp on it all night. All I could think was that I guess he never saw Patrick Ramsey out there getting killed every Sunday. THAT kid took a beating.

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:52 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
Bob 0119 wrote:I couldn't find anything that shows knockdowns after the pass is thrown, or how many times he was actually hit on rushing attempts, but he does lead the league in Rushing Attempts for a QB but only barely with 37

2nd is Mike Vick with 36 (keep in mind he hasn't played in three weeks)
3rd is Russel Wilson with 33.

Really good stuff overall, Bob, and thanks for taking the time to look at it. However, when I look at his stats, he has 105 carries, not 37? Cam is #2 for QBs at 95. RG3 has more rushing attempts than Fred Jackson, DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, and many other RBs. He's 31 overall in carries.

That's got to be a concern, though.

I just noticed the stat I posted wasn't all rushing attempts, just his "scrambles" after dropping back to pass.

Thanks for catching that!
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:00 pm

The Hogster wrote:I'm not as worried about the hits he takes in the pocket. That's normal. But, he's gotta avoid some of the other kill shots.

Exactly my point. I know he's carrying the ball less and less on designed runs as the year goes by, which is great to see. This guy is special...I want him to stay upright as long as possible.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:10 pm

The Skins are 3 point favorites against Baltimore. :shock:

I like being the underdog though.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:47 pm

riggofan wrote:
FLWSkin wrote:It is the media template. RGIII gets hit too much and is going to get hurt. That was decided before the season so that's what they all say. Research and doing your job doesn't matter in reporting anymore.

Yeah, that's kind of been my impression lately. Just seems like that is the narrative, and they're sticking with it.

I just kind of laughed listening to Gruden harp on it all night. All I could think was that I guess he never saw Patrick Ramsey out there getting killed every Sunday. THAT kid took a beating.

Its like listening to Colin Cowherd. I don't listen to him usually, but after we drafted him, I heard him say that basically RGIII was a gimmick QB from a gimmick system at Baylor and he was going to struggle in the NFL. So now I make it a point to listen to him after RGIII has a good game to hear what he says. Now he says RGIII is doing good things.....but Kyle is using our system to hide all his flaws and the system cannot be sustained as the defenses will figure it out. Oh and hes not good because he still can't read a defense because all we do is the read option and he doesn't have to. Or Colin, you could just admit you were wrong and RGIII is better than you thought. Of course his ego doesn't allow that. Also RGIII is much less of a QB because he only throws 25ish times a game and Luck is so superior because he throws 50. I really get tired of guys who have never played giving their opinions like they are fact, when they don't necessarily know what they are talking about.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:49 pm

The Hogster wrote:The Skins are 3 point favorites against Baltimore. :shock:

Wow. I find that hard to believe. I see us as the underdogs going into this week, though I have no doubts that we can win this one.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:52 pm

No Lewis, no Suggs(probably) they really struggle on the road and if you look at the Ravens, they have won a lot of close games. We can beat them. We just need to play well.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:52 pm

absinthe1023 wrote:I think this was an outgrowth of Gruden's intense desire to criticize RG3 for SOMETHING, ANYTHING....

Nah... Gruden LOVES Bob. He literally gushes when talking about him. I think he is genuinely concerned about the hits. He was PANCAKED by JPP yesterday...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:54 pm

But they say he runs too much and gets hit too hard then, so is it ok when he gets hit in the pocket like a regular QB? I'm so confused....

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:

Wow. I find that hard to believe. I see us as the underdogs going into this week, though I have no doubts that we can win this one.

I always check USAToday for the early lines to see what the odds makers are thinking. The early line was us favored by as low as 1 point to as high as 3 points depending on the maker.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:30 pm

The Hogster wrote:RGIII is going to get hit. We know that. But, I think we can all be pleased with the amount of punishment he's taken this year, especially given the fact that we all expected our Offensive Line to be among the worst in the league. They're actually above average.

They are above average, but RG3 running has a lot to do with why they are above average. The D can't pin their ears and rush the passer because they are afraid of getting gashed by Robert.

If he stays in the pocket, he would get hit more, much more, than if he ran!

The Hogster wrote:
RGIII wasn't sacked at all last night. But, he does take some unnecessary shots when he is running and not getting down or out of bounds.

He will learn how to do this. But, I imagine it's tough when you're running 20 MPH.

I'm not as worried about the hits he takes in the pocket. That's normal. But, he's gotta avoid some of the other kill shots.

He wasn't sacked last night because he threw the ball less than thirty times. He can do that because of the ruining game and he is part of the running game.

Yes, he needs to learn not to take unnecessary hits and he has for the most part (as a runner - not so as a passer). Last night he took a hit to stay in bounds and keep the clock running, but it wasn't as bad as the hit he took on that deep out to Garcon in the 1st. That hit was avoidable too! The ball came out late. If he throws it earlier, he doesn't get hit and maybe Garcon has a chance to turn up field.

Look I don't expect him to be perfect (yet). He is a rookie and he is going to be late on some throws and take hits he doesn't need to.
He is going to take some hits on running plays he doesn't need to, but I personally think, overall he is taking less hits than he would if he just sat in the pocket. Again, Rex got pounded last year because he was willing to sit on the pocket and take a hit. Rex took way more hard hits last year than Griffin has this year.

I want RG3 running the ball for many reasons, but the biggest ones are because it works and because he takes LESS hits that way!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:30 pm

The Hogster wrote:RGIII is going to get hit. We know that. But, I think we can all be pleased with the amount of punishment he's taken this year, especially given the fact that we all expected our Offensive Line to be among the worst in the league. They're actually above average.

They are above average, but RG3 running has a lot to do with why they are above average. The D can't pin their ears and rush the passer because they are afraid of getting gashed by Robert.

If he stays in the pocket, he would get hit more, much more, than if he ran!

The Hogster wrote:
RGIII wasn't sacked at all last night. But, he does take some unnecessary shots when he is running and not getting down or out of bounds.

He will learn how to do this. But, I imagine it's tough when you're running 20 MPH.

I'm not as worried about the hits he takes in the pocket. That's normal. But, he's gotta avoid some of the other kill shots.

He wasn't sacked last night because he threw the ball less than thirty times. He can do that because of the ruining game and he is part of the running game.

Yes, he needs to learn not to take unnecessary hits and he has for the most part (as a runner - not so as a passer). Last night he took a hit to stay in bounds and keep the clock running, but it wasn't as bad as the hit he took on that deep out to Garcon in the 1st. That hit was avoidable too! The ball came out late. If he throws it earlier, he doesn't get hit and maybe Garcon has a chance to turn up field.

Look I don't expect him to be perfect (yet). He is a rookie and he is going to be late on some throws and take hits he doesn't need to.
He is going to take some hits on running plays he doesn't need to, but I personally think, overall he is taking less hits than he would if he just sat in the pocket. Again, Rex got pounded last year because he was willing to sit on the pocket and take a hit. Rex took way more hard hits last year than Griffin has this year.

I want RG3 running the ball for many reasons, but the biggest ones are because it works and because he takes LESS hits that way!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 pm

:-k 3pt favorites over Baltimore? Well, let's see...

Who have they really played?

Sure, they beat New England, and did have a win over Pittsburgh but apart from that here's their 2012 opponents:

BENGALS
EAGLES - (one of their three losses)
PATRIOTS
BROWNS
CHIEFS
COWGIRLS
TEXANS - (their second loss)
BROWNS
RAIDERS
STEELERS
CHARGERS
STEELERS - (lost to Charlie Batch)

I mean, Christ, how do you not come away 9-3 with that schedule? Look at this

3-9 EAGLES
4-8 BROWNS
2-10 CHIEFS
4-8 BROWNS
3-9 RAIDERS
4-8 CHARGERS

That's six games with opponents who combine for 20-52 AND THEY STILL LOST TO ONE OF THEM!

When you look at that, 3pt favorites doesn't seem so far fetched for a 6-6 team facing a 9-3 team.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:23 pm

I feel the same when I hear about the "miraculous" year the Colts are having. Give us Miami, Titans x2 Jags x2 and the rest of their schedule and I'd love to see where we would be.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:06 pm

Me too. They are saying the teams are equal but we give 3 at home. Interesting. Ravens can be run on. Their O is better but still not great.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football