Skins beat Giants - Postgame thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:28 pm

The Hogster wrote:
absinthe1023 wrote:
The Hogster wrote:If that guy doesn't get Griffin's jersey on that 46 yard run, he might have scored. His speed is ridiculous. Loved the graphic that ESPN showed during the game which broke down the speed of RGIII's release (being the same as Aaron Rodgers) and his explosiveness being on par with Adrian Peterson's.

This dudue is a freak.

Ryan Kerrigan has to step his game up though. I thought he was a bit better than Orakpo for a time last year. But, it's clear who is the better pass rusher now.

Do you think that Orakpo would still be getting sacks or generating QB pressure if the tables were turned and Kerrigan and Carriker were both out?

My guess is probably not. I think we're seeing proof that all three players need to be present in order for the current scheme to be effective.

They work hand in hand, but Orakpo had a better season without Kerrigan than vice versa. And, like I said, I thought Kerrigan was a bit better. It could all change with a couple of 2 sack games.

I thought the same as you. I thought we could even trade Rak. Boy was I wrong on that. He is really missed and so is Carriker. We need them all back and healthy. Imagine if we had Tanard,Merriweather,Carriker and Rak. Maybe next year. HTTR

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:44 pm

The Hogster wrote:
absinthe1023 wrote:
The Hogster wrote:If that guy doesn't get Griffin's jersey on that 46 yard run, he might have scored. His speed is ridiculous. Loved the graphic that ESPN showed during the game which broke down the speed of RGIII's release (being the same as Aaron Rodgers) and his explosiveness being on par with Adrian Peterson's.

This dudue is a freak.

Ryan Kerrigan has to step his game up though. I thought he was a bit better than Orakpo for a time last year. But, it's clear who is the better pass rusher now.

Do you think that Orakpo would still be getting sacks or generating QB pressure if the tables were turned and Kerrigan and Carriker were both out?

My guess is probably not. I think we're seeing proof that all three players need to be present in order for the current scheme to be effective.

They work hand in hand, but Orakpo had a better season without Kerrigan than vice versa. And, like I said, I thought Kerrigan was a bit better. It could all change with a couple of 2 sack games.

My main point (which I didn't explicitly state) is that we really don't have enough evidence to draw a conclusion here, as we haven't seen Orakpo alone without Kerrigan or Carriker in this scheme. I for one am hoping that we never get an answer to this question :)
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:52 pm

absinthe1023 wrote:My main point (which I didn't explicitly state) is that we really don't have enough evidence to draw a conclusion here, as we haven't seen Orakpo alone without Kerrigan or Carriker in this scheme. I for one am hoping that we never get an answer to this question :)

I'm with you man. I don't really think this season shows that Rak is better than Kerrigan, not that it matters. Rak is a beast though! I'm sure the woeful secondary this year isn't helping Kerrigan either. Isn't it true that those guys have more opportunity for sacks if the QB can't find open WRs and are holding on to the ball?

piggie

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:23 pm

A friend of mine asked me what was up with the Skins D. I told him, you need guys to set each edge and be solid up the middle. We lost Carriker who set one edge, Orakpo who set the other and are playing safites number 3 and 5 as starters. Any team would struggle with this, let alone a rebuilding team with not much depth.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:27 pm

There were some plays where Kerrigan was one on one with Locklear and couldn't get off of him. Not that I'm down on Kerrigan, I'm not. Maybe he has a nagging injury. But, I will say that Kerrigan was my favorite Redskin since Sean Taylor before RGIII came to town. So I am moreso speaking of how something seems a bit off.

Yes, the injuries hurt, but Kerrigan is a beast, and he would probably admit that he needs to pick it up when he's in one on one situations.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:34 pm

absinthe1023 wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
absinthe1023 wrote:

This dudue is a freak.

My main point (which I didn't explicitly state) is that we really don't have enough evidence to draw a conclusion here, as we haven't seen Orakpo alone without Kerrigan or Carriker in this scheme. I for one am hoping that we never get an answer to this question :)

Orakpo played in this scheme in 2010 and had 8.5 sacks i believe, the year before Kerrigan was drafted. The year before he had 11 as a DE/LB in the 4-3. The first year with Kerrigan Rak had 9 sacks, 2011, so his production in the 3-4 with and w/o Kerrigan in terms of sacks has been a wash in a small sample size. I think Orakpo has proven, in two different schemes with or without Kerrigan, he can get to the QB. In fairness, Kerrigan is at 6.5 sacks this year and had 7.5 last year so his numbers haven't really fallen off (it does seem that way though) that far but as a team our sack numbers are way down. Maybe the real missing piece here is the inside, last year other teams lines were worried about our edge rushing that Bowen and Carriker took advantage but this year our 3 interior lineman are not getting the sacks.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:42 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:
Man, wish I was there, looked like the place was bouncing!!! RFK style...

Must have been a great night...
No.

There was never any Blue at RFK. There was plenty yesterday at FedEx.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:27 am

Countertrey wrote:

No.

Really? Never any blue at RFK...?!?

So what's changed...? Do we have less support than before or do people travel to games more now or something...
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:32 am

Countertrey wrote:

No.

Really? Never any blue at RFK...?!?

So what's changed...? Do we have less support than before or do people travel to games more now or something...

He exaggerates (a little) but there are roughly 30,000 more seats now and there was no stubhub or craigslist back then.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:39 pm

The fans are now sure that they can get seats to a game at FedEx and there are many people from all over the country living in DC area

PLUS

The stadium is in easy driving range for many other teams fans

RFK was not a place that fans from other teams could easily get into - it was a fantastic place to go EXPERIENCE an NFL game - UNBELIEVABLE

you cannot imagine it AND you cannot make enough of the fact that the stadium was actually 'moving' - unreal experience

I'll never forget standing at the field level and having Ed 'too tall' Jones standing just a few yards away - he was the biggest football player I had ever seen
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:51 pm

RFK was simply one of the top 3 stadiums in the NFL. FEDEX stinks, period.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Don't worry. I think RGIII will be building Danny a new, state of the art, DC stadium. Remember, the FedEx experience isn't all Danny's fault. JKC cooked up this idea. I expect Danny to go all out and not only try to top the stadium in Dallas. But, incorporate some advantage building design like the Seattle Stadium has.

Don't think for a second that Dan Snyder sits in other stadiums and doesn't think about out doing them.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:08 pm

The Hogster wrote:Don't worry. I think RGIII will be building Danny a new, state of the art, DC stadium. Remember, the FedEx experience isn't all Danny's fault. JKC cooked up this idea. I expect Danny to go all out and not only try to top the stadium in Dallas. But, incorporate some advantage building design like the Seattle Stadium has.

Don't think for a second that Dan Snyder sits in other stadiums and doesn't think about out doing them.

Something along these lines would be wonderful. I volunteer as an architect.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Just my opinion but I think Dan Snyder is a little man with a big 'unit' complex - I think he'll want another huge stadium

I'd love to have a decent size stadium with the ability to be open or closed so they could host a Super Bowl (OR more than 1)

I just see Danny going for a massive stadium again ... why do that, when you already have FedEx :roll:
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:48 pm

He couldn't afford Jack Kent Cooke Stadium. Isn't that why he sold it to FedEx? Why would a money man spread himself that way? Maybe FedEx doesn't own it, can someone enlighten me on this?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football