Brandon Banks - The Wide Receiver

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:01 pm

The Hogster wrote:The same logic applies to Banks as Gano. For some reason fans loved Gano, even though he sucked. For some reason, fans hate Banks, even though he's broken many long returns including some for TDs.

Give him time.

Close. For some reason people love Banks even though he sucks.

Like Gano's big leg, Banks can take it all the way. In the meantime we watch him bring it out repeatedly for a negative play. No blocking for Banks is much like no blocking for Gano and the flat out misses by Gano are like Banks making dumb decisions in the endznoe.

How many TDs does he have career? 1.

How many fumbles? 13.

How many inside-the-15 kickoff returns? Too many.

I do not hate Banks. I did not love Gano. Banks has not pulled his weight for a while. I'd consider Hall on punts and anyone else on kickoffs. Not sure who I'd bring up to take his roster spot - probably a pass rusher like Markus White.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:03 pm

We don't coach because we don't see what they can. It's ridiculous to blame returns on the return man without seeing the coverage. You don't see that watching the Tube.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:04 pm

The punt coverage isn't going to help anyone.. I'm not saying banks is doing any better, but you could see his anger last night in having no where to go. With the KO rule, a bigger body appears to trump his speed. With Robinson displaying speed and play making ability the writing is probably on the wall for banks. That said, I'd still like to see a td and john wall dance a couple more times before the season is over. Vs the pukes in a demolishing victory would be nice
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:07 pm

The Hogster wrote:We don't coach because we don't see what they can. It's ridiculous to blame returns on the return man without seeing the coverage. You don't see that watching the Tube.

+16
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:07 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
The Hogster wrote:The same logic applies to Banks as Gano. For some reason fans loved Gano, even though he sucked. For some reason, fans hate Banks, even though he's broken many long returns including some for TDs.

Give him time.

Like Gano's big leg, Banks can take it all the way. In the meantime we watch him bring it out repeatedly for a negative play. No blocking for Banks is much like no blocking for Gano and the flat out misses by Gano are like Banks making dumb decisions in the endznoe.

How many fumbles? 13.

I do not hate Banks. I did not love Gano. Banks has not pulled his weight for a while. I'd consider Hall on punts and anyone else on kickoffs. Not sure who I'd bring up to take his roster spot - probably a pass rusher like Markus White.

This is what I just don't understand.

The fact is Brandon Banks is garbage. I will continue to bring this thread back to life each week.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:10 pm

The Hogster wrote:We don't coach because we don't see what they can. It's ridiculous to blame returns on the return man without seeing the coverage. You don't see that watching the Tube.

No, I'm not a coach. But I will tell you what I did see, a much more impressive return from Niles Paul last night with one attempt than anything out of Banks in over a month.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:11 pm

DarthMonk wrote:

Give him time.

How many fumbles? 13.

To he fair, how many have been called back due to a bs flag or unnecessary block in the back? Add in preseason tds and he's had a good career as a return man. He's scored on O as well, and has disrupted coverage with his presence.
But ya, to many fumbles, and not enough sparks to fuel this fan base so far this year.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby fleetus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:12 pm

Brandon Banks - the wide receiver - Not.
Build through the draft!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:29 pm

All true. I do blame him for bringing the ball out when he should not. That is not ridiculous at all. Defending those decisions is.

Also, I don't need to be a coach or have access to non-Tube film to know a 13:1 ratio on fumbles to TDs is bad.

I'd give Hall a shot, deactivate Banks, and activate a pass rusher. If we don't I hope Banks does good things in these last 4 games.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 pm

DarthMonk wrote:[
How many fumbles? 13.

The fact that he fumbles the ball and NEVER loses a fumble used to bother me, until I realized he never loses a fumble. I know the odds say he will eventually lose a fumble, but until that happens I'm not going to worry.

Now as far as him not being productive, the rational fan would assume that they boxing isn't there. It isn't like he forgot how to run! However, it is getting to the point that I'm freaking tired of hearing people say he is a bum and would like to see another returner so people can see it isn't the returner. But people will just blame that guy too!

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:40 pm

+16

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:45 pm

I agree with the post that says "I'm not a coach but I can see when others run forward they get a decent amount of yards".

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:The fact that he fumbles the ball and NEVER loses a fumble used to bother me, until I realized he never loses a fumble. I know the odds say he will eventually lose a fumble, but until that happens I'm not going to worry.

He's recovered 10 of his 13 fumbles. So about once every 3 games he fumbles and we hold our breath praying he comes up with it. So far he has been what I will call "fortunate" in that regard. Almost every game he brings out a kick or two he should be downing. As for the TDs that were called back, sometimes the illegal block is what springs a guy.

I worry every time he settles under a kick - kinda like the way I worried every time Gano lined up for a meaningful kick. I hope he does not fumble and springs one if we let him keep trying. The odds are against his success.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:15 pm

The Hogster wrote:The Brandon Banks hate comes and goes in cycles. If he beats the Ravens on a return TD, then people will have to dab the foam from their angry mouths until he has another dropoff. LOL

Absolutely! If fans actually saw him do something, if Banks actually produced in games, he'd garner way more fan appreciation. But that hasn't happened.

It isn't about "hate." It's about production. Period. I'd bet most fans would agree that they actually like the kid. His teammates seem to like him too. But at the end of the day, it's about production in the NFL, and the fact remains that Banks has done nothing despite Shanahan rolling the dice with him once again this year and giving the kid numerous, numerous opportunities.

The Hogster wrote:even though he's broken many long returns including some for TDs.

Umm... In 3 years of regular season games, Banks has 1 career kick-off return for a TD and zero punt returns for a TD. You mentioned the "coverage" seen on the tube. Yeah, that's right. The only 2 punt returns for TD's he had in years past came in preseason playing against 3rd and 4th string special teamers. Hardly starting quality regular season schemed coverage... which, by the way, can be seen on the tube. Maybe you just need a widescreen... just sayin... :lol:

Shanahan has made every attempt to give Banks opportunities on offense this year as well, both in preseason and the regular season, and Banks simply hasn't produced there either.

Banks has 8 receptions for 15 yards. Very unimpressive. Banks has also carried the ball 7 times for 36 yards. One of those runs went for 21 yards. (Okay, I'll give him that one.) But that means that Banks only ran for 15 yards on the 6 other rush attempts. 6 rushes for 15 yards. Again, very unimpressive.

If you combine those lousy numbers with the horribly bad decisions he's made on kick/punt returns, which has actually cost our team countless yards and put our offense in worse starting field position the majority of the time, it's not very hard to see why fans are down on him. It's about production... or in Banks' case, the lack of production. "Hate" has nothing to do with it. In the NFL, it's produce or be replaced. That may seem harsh, but it's the nature of the industry league-wide.

Irn-Bru wrote:I think it's pretty clear the coaches have given up on him. No involvement on offense anymore. With Garcon back and with just a few weeks left to play, there's probably no point in cutting him now. But I'd be willing to bet he's among our pre-draft personnel moves this offseason.

Completely agree. Some keep wanting to talk about the alleged deception Banks provides with his presence on offense. Well, Banks was nowhere to be seen on offense last night, yet the deception created by the offensive scheme - not by specific players - was dominant, clearly had the Giants off-balance all night, and was overwhelmingly effective and evident without Banks. I do not believe you'd find any evidence that defensive opponents feel threatened by Banks on offense. In fact, I believe they know Banks with the ball is an easy tackle and an easy strip/fumble. Our defensive opponents concern is with RGIII, Morris and the system/scheme.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:23 pm

He's cooked. Time to move on.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football