Garcon back, Banks should be benched, Cooley needs touches

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:37 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:What teams did he refuse to play for?

All the others. :lol:

Seriously though, he got offers from five or six teams, and he turned them all down.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Re: Garcon back, Banks should be benched, Cooley needs touch

Postby fleetus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:10 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
fleetus wrote:Now that Garcon is back in the starting lineup, I hope we can end those completely ineffective plays where Banks shifts to the backfield. Has Banks made it past the line of scrimmage once?

I'm also tired of seeing Banks making poor KR/PR decisions, including running the PR out of the end zone this week and being stuffed inside the 10. These poor decisions plus his fumbles have far outweighed the few returns he has broken for significant yardage.

Nothing against Paulsen but I'd like to see Cooley get a few touches. He's made some nice blocks, but with his hands I would think he'd be a great outlet receiver for RG3.

As slow as Cooley is now, what makes you think he is a better option than Paulsen?? You do realize that Paulsen is bigger, faster and stronger than Cooley right? I think we should let Cooley go, he has done nothing to warrant playing time and is still SLOW AS MOLASSES GOING UP HILL IN DECEMBER......Captain Chaos is long dead.........

Not saying Cooley should replace Paulsen, but a few touches would make some sense. Cooley has sure hands. Paulsen has had some drops, some penalties too. Cooley has enough experience they should let him slide out into the flats every once in a while.

Banks continues to be totally ineffective. I think Niles Paul might be worth a look as KR.
Build through the draft!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:12 pm

If Cooley could do better I'm sure they would have him in there. Paulsen had a bad night, but even on a bad night I think he's better.

Agreed about the Banks thing.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:26 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:If Cooley could do better I'm sure they would have him in there. Paulsen had a bad night, but even on a bad night I think he's better.

Maybe he's just getting back into "football shape"... He was a lead blocker on one run last night, and I for one am glad to see him. With the dropsies from paulson, I don't see how he wouldnt get increased playing time.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:40 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:If Cooley could do better I'm sure they would have him in there. Paulsen had a bad night, but even on a bad night I think he's better.

I'm not sure what is going on with Cooley:
- He's been back with the team for well over a month now so he should be in game shape.
- He had 77 receptions just 2 years ago.
- Cooley is only 30 yrs old. It's not like he's 33 or 35. After all, currently the 2 leading TE receivers are 30 and 36 years old.

Paulsen has not played particularly well as of late. Since Davis went down, KS has used the TE more as a blocker and not as a receiver which may be why Paulsen is still in there. That said, if Cooley was even 80% of what he was in 2010, I think he can contribute --- although he may not have the confidence he once had and if this is true, it's not the time to test this. We are in a playoff race and don't have the luxury of "seeing what happens". We need to know what we are going to get.

Regardless, I would love to know what Cooley has left in the tank because I think it's more than most think.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:18 pm

He's only been targeted twice. I think it's more a Kyle thing than Cooley not being up to the job. I've repeatedly heard RGIII say he wants to throw it to him.

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:14 pm

I'll say that I think Kyle and mike have kept some things 'under wraps' ...

I think we'll see 'clutch' make some plays for this offense in the next few weeks ...

btw - after all the drops we saw in the Steelers game there have been a number of clutch pass receptions made here the past few weeks

and

Morris has been a beast getting big time yards ... his first run after he put the ballon the ground last week was a sure sign that he really wanted to atone for that ...

this is going to be a fun game against the Ravens
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:47 am

We're keeping Cooley fresh for the playoffs.

8)
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:04 am

FLWSkin wrote:Being in the front office in the NFL is sometimes a very cut throat business. We don't "owe" Colley anything.

Thank you FLWSkin this crazy bandwagon crap is nuts. Chris Cooley WAS good but he isn't anymore. People need to understand that. I understand he was a fan favorite, but if you don't have enough speed to outrun a defensive tackle you can't get open, so you don't make catches. Some fools on here must think he is another Tony Gonzales......SMH!!! :lol: :lol:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:21 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
FLWSkin wrote:Being in the front office in the NFL is sometimes a very cut throat business. We don't "owe" Colley anything.

Thank you FLWSkin this crazy bandwagon crap is nuts. Chris Cooley WAS good but he isn't anymore. People need to understand that. I understand he was a fan favorite, but if you don't have enough speed to outrun a defensive tackle you can't get open, so you don't make catches. Some fools on here must think he is another Tony Gonzales......SMH!!! :lol: :lol:

We'll talk again when he makes a clutch catch that wins us a must win game over the next several weeks.

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:59 am

IMO - most here are NOT thinking that Cooley is 'owed' anything OR that he's something "special" as a player

actually, I think that most here just hope that Cooley gets an opportunity to show that he can contribute to the offense

Chris Cooley is one of those players that have lost a step but still plays the game with a lot of desire to be able to help - I doubt that Cooley thinks he's a force anymore but I'm sure that he and the other players & coaches are aware of how 'effective' he can be if he ever gets the chance to contribute

I doubt that we've seen the last of this player - I'm hoping that he'll give us another great 'clutch play' in the coming weeks

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:14 am

SkinsJock wrote:IMO - most here are NOT thinking that Cooley is 'owed' anything OR that he's something "special" as a player

actually, I think that most here just hope that Cooley gets an opportunity to show that he can contribute to the offense

Chris Cooley is one of those players that have lost a step but still plays the game with a lot of desire to be able to help - I doubt that Cooley thinks he's a force anymore but I'm sure that he and the other players & coaches are aware of how 'effective' he can be if he ever gets the chance to contribute

I doubt that we've seen the last of this player - I'm hoping that he'll give us another great 'clutch play' in the coming weeks

I agree to a point, however IMO one must ask themselves one question, going back to the preseason, what has Cooley shown? When placed as FB or TE did he show any separation in going out for a pass? Did he make any good block as a FB? What I saw was a player past his prime that was so slow he couldn't even get out of his own way. Chris used to be one of my favorite players but man when you lose it you lose it quickly. The same for London Fletcher, last year he was a MONSTER, this year he barely looks like the same player, he is lost in coverage and surely has lost 2 steps. Bennett was killing him all game, and why they stopped throwing to him was crazy. London can't cover anymore and is quickly becoming a big liability in coverage........ :wink:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:42 am

^^ you make it sound like neither player should be a part of what is happening here :shock:

you're making it out like we have better choices at both positions ...

I'm not sure either player will be a part of this roster next season but they are a part of this roster, this season and they are a part of a roster that is playing MEANINGFUL games in December

this is a team game and everyone has to play a part - Cooley and Fletcher are a part of that

Both players have lost a step - no doubt about it ... but both are a lot better than you are giving them credit for

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:21 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:

I agree that we do not owe Cooley a thing. If a player is done, you need to cut him. That is what the good teams do. Cooley isn't Monk or Green. He isn't even Rypien and he got thrown out 1.5 seasons after his shoulder injury in the pro bowl.

First, I have never considered Cooley one of my "favorites" -- at all -- but there is no denying he was a quality TE (and is on a team that needs one) and has not technically reached the "regression" age for a TE.

That said, I am VERY curious how you KNOW that Cooley is "not good anymore". Are you at practice daily or are you just judging by what you have see on the field??? --- which I KNOW is not enough to formulate an opinion (this coming from someone who doesn't need much to formulate an opinion). After all, he was in on only 5 offensive plays (out of 54) last week.....

Regarding Cooley's inability to out-run a DT: Cooley has never been very fast, but that is taking it WAY to far. Besides, he was able to out-run DTs when he was playing and we haven't seen him make a catch this year, so I'm not sure how you can make this determination.

So, lets make some conclusions about Cooley that can actually be supported by facts. Sorry, but wording a complete opinion as if it is a fact doesn't it make it so. None of your conclusions can be verified.

That said, I don't think it is out of the question to say Cooley has lost a step or perhaps that his 2010 injury was more permanent than most thought. Those are things that are accurate (or at least have the possibility of being true). But I think we actually need something verifiable before we can write off the Skins all-time TE receiptions leader. I also would LOVE to know Cooleys relationship with MS/KS...
Last edited by markshark84 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:24 am

SkinsJock wrote:^^ you make it sound like neither player should be a part of what is happening here :shock:

you're making it out like we have better choices at both positions ...

I'm not sure either player will be a part of this roster next season but they are a part of this roster, this season and they are a part of a roster that is playing MEANINGFUL games in December

this is a team game and everyone has to play a part - Cooley and Fletcher are a part of that

Both players have lost a step - no doubt about it ... but both are a lot better than you are giving them credit for

I don't think I am, this is just my thoughts regarding both Cooley and Fletcher, I do think that London should be out on obvious passing downs as I don't think he has the speed nor endurance needed. In regards to Cooley he has been back long enough that even when Paulsen is dropping passes, Niles Paul is dropping passes and Paulsen is holding Cooley still isn't seeing the field. I think that speaks VOLUMES, don't you??

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football