RGIII taking too many hits?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
the 'mudge
Posts: 14835
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:47 am

While the offense is not a "gimmick", it is true that it is very unusual... enough so that no one works on defending it until the week before they play the skins. There are a few other quarterback in the league, whom, while not as capable as Griffin (Russell Wilson comes to mind), could run a hybrid option/passing game like this one. If more teams adopt it, defenses will need to work against it more. At some point, effective strategies will be developed to slow it down, or even hand cuff it. I'm not sure that anyone will ever fully shut down Griffin, though, until age and injury take a step or two away from him... at which point, he's probably going to have mastered the pocket passing game.

The response from other teams at that point will be... "REALLY? Come ON, man? " :shock:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ
Posts: 13928
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: New England

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:28 am

Countertrey wrote:While the offense is not a "gimmick", it is true that it is very unusual... enough so that no one works on defending it until the week before they play the skins.
There are a few other quarterback in the league, whom, while not as capable as Griffin (Russell Wilson comes to mind), could run a hybrid option/passing game like this one. If more teams adopt it, defenses will need to work against it more.
At some point, effective strategies will be developed to slow it down, or even hand cuff it. I'm not sure that anyone will ever fully shut down Griffin though, until age and injury take a step or two away from him... at which point, he's probably going to have mastered the pocket passing game....


+1 - This is really good ...

I think we're already seeing the offense evolving away from the pistol formation to take advantage of Griffin's physical talent and his mental capacity - Mike & Kyle do NOT want to see D linemen just flattening their QB and I think we're seeing that Griffin is evolving away from the 'college option' play to a different version of the same - FACT IS there are very few (if any) QBs that have the speed that Griffin has and I'm sure that they will continue to use that but I've noticed recently that there are more plays with him getting rid of the ball very quickly OR using running plays that get him away from potential tacklers because he's starting to be better at reading what the NFL defenses are trying to do

i've heard that the Ravens think they will just assume Griffin has the ball and put him on the ground each and every chance they get ...
EASY to say .. I'm sure that the giants linemen, who are an even better group, would have liked to get more hits on Griffin too - THEY couldn't
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

the 'mudge
Posts: 14835
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:56 pm

I think that Bob's ability to read defenses SUPER FAST is really what makes this scheme work. I simply can't believe how quickly he makes decisions based on his reads... You simply can't defend that.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:10 pm

I have been listening to several radio stations and each of them (92.7, 106.7, Sirius NFL) and they ask had experts on that said that the Skins are running much more of their normal play book than people would think. They are just running the plays out of the pistol formation.

Apparent, the technique used to stop the zone read is just the opposite of what you need to do to stop must of Shanny's ZBS run plays, which the Skins have running from the pistol formation too. This puts the D in an incredible bind. If they play the play with technique to stop a ZBS run they will get gashed if the play is a zone read.

More people are starting to think this is a sustainable offense as long as RG limits his carries. However, he has to run enough to make himself a threat.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

the 'mudge
Posts: 14835
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:14 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:I have been listening to several radio stations and each of them (92.7, 106.7, Sirius NFL) and they ask had experts on that said that the Skins are running much more of their normal play book than people would think. They are just running the plays out of the pistol formation.

Apparent, the technique used to stop the zone read is just the opposite of what you need to do to stop must of Shanny's ZBS run plays, which the Skins have running from the pistol formation too. This puts the D in an incredible bind. If they play the play with technique to stop a ZBS run they will get gashed if the play is a zone read.

More people are starting to think this is a sustainable offense as long as RG limits his carries. However, he has to run enough to make himself a threat.


I think that this is what really makes RGIII a stud. He is the perfect combiniation of rare skills that make this offense dangerous... No one will be able to run it with the effectiveness that he has... Russell Wilson is close, but his height places him at a disadvantage in making accurate reads. Cam Newton has the height and athleticism, but I don't know that he has the football intelligence to make the reads accurately (he struggles with zone reads), nor the selflessness to "make the right call" consistently . For that reason, I think this offense will not be easy to duplicate elsewhere... as a result, it will not be easy to defend, until RGIII starts to slow down.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:59 pm
Location: St. Robert, MO

Postby FLWSkin » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:43 pm

I physically laughed out loud the other day when Cowherd said our offense was a gimmick and we were using it to hide the fact that RGIII can't read defenses and that he can't throw deep. I also found it amusing that he thinks we are being successful only because defenses keep making mistakes when they play us. I get that he is there just to flap his gums for three hours, but man, at least make an attempt to make yourself look intelligent when you talk. I guess he just can't admit he was wrong when he said at draft time that RGIII was not an NFL ready QB.

the 'mudge
Posts: 14835
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:22 pm

FLWSkin wrote:I physically laughed out loud the other day when Cowherd said our offense was a gimmick and we were using it to hide the fact that RGIII can't read defenses and that he can't throw deep. I also found it amusing that he thinks we are being successful only because defenses keep making mistakes when they play us. I get that he is there just to flap his gums for three hours, but man, at least make an attempt to make yourself look intelligent when you talk. I guess he just can't admit he was wrong when he said at draft time that RGIII was not an NFL ready QB.

Cowherd is obviously an idiot. Take the double option... The ONLY reason this system works is RGIII's incredible ability to read exactly what the defense is doing at the moment he is placing the ball into Morris' belly... If they are collapsing to the hole, he pulls it out, and fakes the handoff... it then goes to his second option... pass/no pass. If the throw is there to any of one or two reads he sends it... if not, he continues to roll. He may immediately react to a hole, and take off... or he may extend, to make the decision when/if a receiver uncovers, depending on down, distance, and circumstance. His decision-making is incredibly fast, and uncannily correct. That tells me that he isn't guessing.

Cowherd is clueless.

If he can't read, this offense doesn't work.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:59 pm
Location: St. Robert, MO

Postby FLWSkin » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:41 pm

When he said RGIII never throws deep, it really made me wonder if he even watches the highlights....it shows he doesn't watch the games. I mean, has he seen the last three weeks?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football