Griff's Injury

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:11 pm

The Hogster wrote:A QB can play on this kind of injury. But his movement will be limited. It's possible that all 3 QBs are active if he goes.

I disagree with sitting him unless he's unable to play. He's not Strasburg. He will likely have to play more from the pocket. But he can do that. It's not like he's Michael Vick

I don't want him to go if he isn't at 90% or more, but I think it would be a good test to see what he can do while only staying in the pocket.

That said, KS has designed an offense that doesn't do that, so it may actually be better to play KC because he may be more mobile come Sunday.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Griffin will play if he's able - the only modification to the offense will be to take advantage of what they've seen on film about the Browns

I just don't see Mike & Kyle playing RG3 unless they are absolutely certain that he's fully able to go and compete - NO WAY

QBs can get hurt just being on the field and IF RG3 is not fully capable he will not be playing
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:17 pm

We will see early if he is able to help the team. If not, then bring in Kirk. I wouldn't shut him down unless he can't do anything in practice all week and can't warm up pregame. It's too early now to say shut him down.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby gushogs » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:43 pm

emoses14 wrote:
gushogs wrote:1) If something is crystal clear to me, is that RG3 is a tuff guy and he will want to play, even if he isn't 100%. Has shown it all year, but coming back to play yesterday after the hit should be enough evidenceto anyone.
2) The mayor decision here would be allowing him to play if he's not 100%. Either way will stir a debate. If he plays and gets re-injured; if he doesn't play and the Skins lose; if he plays and we, win what woulda, coulda happen; if Kirk plays a great game someone will mention a QB controversy....

HaiL,

Of this I am positive, there will be no, nada, nyet, 0, zip, zilch quarterback controversy in any way shape or form no matter what happens in the next game. Period.

Agree with you on that one, but you know the media will want to sell a couple of extra ads or papers just by making a suggestion....
HaiL
Another year of asking for PATIENCE..., 20 yrs not long enough?????

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:46 pm

The Hogster wrote:It's too early now to say shut him down.

Not that that will stop anyone! :)

Seriously, the guy played a series hopping on one leg yesterday. Does anybody really think he's going to sit if he's "less than 90%"?

He's a young, healthy athlete. I'll put my money on him playing this weekend.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:17 pm

riggofan wrote:

Seriously, the guy played a series hopping on one leg yesterday. Does anybody really think he's going to sit if he's "less than 90%"?

not making his point but I'd agree that BOTH RG3 and Mike & Kyle are going to know at some time if there's ANY doubt

AND - YES - RG3 will not try and play if he does not think he's fully capable and NOT risking anything - he will not do that to his team

THAT decision is not coming in the next few days unless this injury is worse than we've been told
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:43 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:

not making his point but I'd agree that BOTH RG3 and Mike & Kyle are going to know at some time if there's ANY doubt

AND - YES - RG3 will not try and play if he does not think he's fully capable and NOT risking anything - he will not do that to his team

THAT decision is not coming in the next few days unless this injury is worse than we've been told

YOU of all people didn't forget who we are dealing with here did you?? Lol
Mike won't give out ANY information one way or another until he has to under the rules.. hell he might not even then! Remember his fine when he didn't report the concussion "correctly". Old mike is set in his ways and never gives more info then he HAS to.

That means he will remain day to day and a game time decision, count on it
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Did anyone notice Ray Lewis sizing up RGIII on an early scramble to the Ravens sideline?

Ray Lewis looked at him as if trying to determine how big he looked in person. He seemed slightly impressed that he's not as small as he may have thought.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Don't have enough info but would tend to lean toward caution.

Start Kirk and say so asap. Outside the obvious health concerns it is a known fact among those who bet games that when a team knows it will be starting a backup for one game, they give a little extra. Also, the opponent tends to relax a little. It's one of the best edges there is in betting NFL games. A good line for Mike might go something like this: "I'm not sure our guys have it in them to win in Cleveland w/o Robert but were gonna give it our best shot."

Of course, if Griff is getting around just fine in a tomorrow, go ahead and play him.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:19 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:

YOU of all people didn't forget who we are dealing with here did you?? Lol
Mike won't give out ANY information one way or another until he has to under the rules.. hell he might not even then! Remember his fine when he didn't report the concussion "correctly". Old mike is set in his ways and never gives more info then he HAS to.

That means he will remain day to day and a game time decision, count on it
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:26 pm

So, according to ESPN it is a grade 1 LCL sprain. Knee is swollen a little, and RGIII is receiving treatment for it.

I looked up the stats on the Browns, and overall they rank 24th in total defense compared to our 28th.....and we rank 5th in total offense while they rank 26th. Their run game with Richardson is not as potent as our run game with Morris, and Weeden has thrown more picks than TD's.

While I am not saying this will be an easy game for us....especially at their house....their quality win was vs the Bengals back in week 6. They did beat the Rothlesbergerless Steelers.....but have lost to the Ravens twice.

My point would be that while this is an important game for us, we may be served best by our running game, and if our D can step up again and create turnovers that Weeden seems so willing to give.

Look, IMHO there is no way that RGIII will willingly take himself out of the starting lineup....especially considering the injuries that he has seen teammates like Fletcher, Hall, Williams....all play through this season. If the doc's clear him, I would start RGIII, but ensure that Cousins has plenty of reps this week in running his version of our offense.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

piggie

Postby oj » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:31 pm

He was an olympic hurdler, i think, and is nearly flexible as a ballet dancer. No doubt his leg hurt like hell and he is doing everything possible from it getting stiff. But, he ain't down for the count and my money is on him being well enough to at least start the game. Shanny might want to give him a week off to get superhealthy rather than being a bit gimpy, but G3 ain't gonna let that happen.
I'd like to see him start because like Joe Jacoby, he has got enough to make just one more play. The sport needs people like that.
I have absolutely no worries about Cousins, he is a premiere QB and can be a starter for most teams in the NFL. I will be very surprised if he is still here next year.
Molon Labe

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Griffin's injury is officially a "Grade 1 (minor) strain to his LCL. His status is day-to-day"

His injury would have been a lot more severe if his leg had been planted when it bent in that sickeningly unnatural angle. Since it rag-dolled that way, the only pressure was by the weight of his lower leg. He may be fine to go 100% by Sunday
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:52 pm

oj wrote:He was an olympic hurdler, i think, and is nearly flexible as a ballet dancer. No doubt his leg hurt like hell and he is doing everything possible from it getting stiff. But, he ain't down for the count and my money is on him being well enough to at least start the game.

+1.

I know that injury looked bad, but you guys need to look up what a "grade 1" sprain is. Its characterized by "Minimal tenderness and swelling". Ever rolled your ankle?

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:22 pm

emoses14 wrote:
welch wrote:Make Robert Griffin sit the Browns game. I know he will argue, but tie him down, if necessary.

Think about Larry Brown during the last few games of 1972. We called the coach "Wiley George", but also "Crazy George".

Brown had hurt his knee, but George just kept running sending him out on offense, and having Kilmer hand him the ball. Brown never quite had the explosive takeoff or the cuts after that.

Another example: Art Monk played SB 22 on a sprained knee, but Gibbs used Monk mostly as a decoy. The Skins had Clark, Sanders, and Didier, so they didn't lean on Monk every play.

Give Griffin a week to recover the strength in that knee.

Tieing him down is probably the only way to accomplish his not playing. Probably best to "lose" his helmet, spikes, and jersey too.

I figure it's like telling Bryce Harper to rest a game or two. In fact, I saw the second game of a double-header against the Braves, Lannan's first start this season. Harper had fouled a ball off his foot, and Werth and LaRoche had to tell Davey that Harper was hiding out in the runway, unable to put weight on his foot. Harper picn-hits in about the 7th inning as the Nats are clawing back from 2 - 0. Gets a base-hit. Steals second, although we can see he's not as fast as normal. Storms home on a short single, ties the game.

Griffin is like that. He will want to play. He should not, not with a sprained knee.

A bad knee makes Griffin an easier target, and defenses want to hit him anyway.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football