Post Hall of Fame

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
DarthMonk

Post Hall of Fame

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:39 pm

I liked this a lot from Hogwash:

Deadskins wrote:
DOGSRBACK wrote:Guess what the Redskins would be without RG3

The Browns?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Re: Post Hall of Fame

Postby Deadskins » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:49 am

DarthMonk wrote:I liked this a lot from Hogwash:

Deadskins wrote:
DOGSRBACK wrote:Guess what the Redskins would be without RG3

The Browns?

Thanks, I'll be here all week.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:16 am

I loved this as well. July 17, 2009:

crazyhorse1 wrote:
Cappster wrote:Thank you, Crazyhorse1, for providing yet another post with a positive outlook. Our defense was solid last year and I don't believe you address all of the different variables that come into play when evaluating a defense.

We ranked 6th in points allowed

We ranked 5th in first downs allowed

We ranked 7th in 3rd down percentage

Those are key stats that are hard to ignore CH1. The thing that killed us last year is the inability to force turnovers. Now what can we do better this year to become an impact defense? Pass Rush. Our secondary arguably played better than any other last year, but the opportunities for turnovers were scarce as the opposing QB had all day to throw. I don't believe any is hailing our defense from last year as a truly "great" defense, but they were solid nonetheless.

You are precisely right about the lack of turnovers last year killing us. We were sub par in regard to an element of defense in which a single play can mean a 14 flip, as well as an morale crushing shift in momentum. When our D's are good at it, we never tire of hailing it as the most important element of a defense. Most top teams in the NFL, year after year, are among league leaders in creating turnovers.

The Redskin D last year looked far better on paper than it actually was. For instance, it was fairly highly rated against the run and pass in re. to yards allowed primarily because other teams would get ahead of us, know we couldn't score, and just burn time with short yards runs the whole second half or fouth quarter. Even when teams moved unstoppably against us and destroyed our chance of winning, they were actually enhancing our D stats on paper in regard to average gain, total yards allowed, etc. If they had been forced out of their prolonged stalls, which was the D's job to do, they would have doubtless gained many more yards against us, but would have possibly opened a door for us to win. So, they played it safe and dull and just killed time by running the ball down our throats a few yards at a time-- saving our stats on paper but making us look and feel helpless.

We were, in fact, one of the weakest short yardage defenses in Redskin uniforms in recent years when the game was on the line. In several games we failed to stop sustained drives of straignt on vanilla plays in the clutch and eliminated the offense's chances of getting us back in game or hanging up a win. That, coupled with utter failure to create turnovers greatly assisted our offense to its collapse. That's why getting a stopper like Haynesworth became a multi-million dollar priority. That's also why a so-called top rated defense needed to spend its top pick on a guy who can potentually cause turnours, stop the run, stop the pass, and stop drives by picking up sacks.

In regard to points allowed, the stat looks better on paper than the field because all of the above.

As for our good-looking numbers in regard to allowing first downs-- obvious. Team that used short yardage tactics against us burned so much time in the process that first downs were relatively few per game. If the first downs achieved against us had been by the pass, there would have been many more first downs, but our chances for turnover would be improved and our chances at winning magnified. We have and had a good coverage defense.

First rule of defense: stop the run first. We didn't in the clutch and benefited on paper because statistical measurements of performances have inherent flaw. The FO knows that.

Those who call me an idiot for my view of the defense as a just average unit last year, might well reflect that my view is totally supported by actual FO personnel decisions, not contradicted by them.

Raise your hands-- all of you who were or are surprised that the Skins virtually ignored the offense in regard to additions and reinforcements while blowing their wad on defensive players for the coming season.

You, not me, are football idiots. You think with your feelers instead of feel with your thinkers. You grasp at feel good-myths and want to be developed by Zorn, who will love you. Why not change your avatars. Fios could go from a cup to a picture of Elton John with tears streaming down his big, pink sunglasses and singing Candle in the Wind.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:05 pm

My latest nomination from the Any and All News About RG3's Knee - Merged thread:

langleyparkjoe wrote:I just spoke with RG3.. he said thanks for the support and prayers. He also said he's already starting jogging around his living room so he's on track already to practice next month. He did mention that he'd quit if FedexField's turf isn't fixed. Also, apparently DannyBoy snores on his flights.

Later!

=D>

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Return to The Lounge