Griff's Injury

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:25 am

riggofan wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think we start Kirk and worse case RG3 can come off the bench depending on how his knee feels, I think we need to give him as much rest as possible especially with us still having to play 2 NFC East teams. I would hope that Kyle can use some plays that the Browns haven't seen a lot of and it gives us 28 points, I don't see Cleveland putting more than 17 points on us hopefully but you never know.

If Cousins has to start, then it is what it is. I'm going to assume at the point that the coaches don't feel RGIII can be effective given his injury.

I just don't agree that we have the luxury of deciding to rest RGII vs. the Browns to save him for later games. If we want to make the playoffs we may need to win every one of these last three games. If we lose vs the Browns, the next two games could be meaningless. Look at the wildcard/division scenarios and do the math.

RGIII is our best player, period. If he can run at 80%, he's had more game experience and knows our offense better than Cousins. If he physically just can't go, then fine. But Ben Roethlisberger is out there playing with a rib injury that could slice his freaking aorta, trying to make a playoff run. Give RGIII the motrin 800 and let him have a chance to lead his team.

riggofan I understand you, however do you risk a greater chance at a severe injury this late in the season that would possibly mess RG3 up next year? I think that is my greatest concern. I think we all can see we are onto something and I think allowing RG3 to rest or come off the bench on certain conditions would be best. I think Kirk is up to the task and I also think these players are hungry now, 4 wins and this close to the playoffs........I think this team has the heart now to give RG3 a rest and play well enough to continue our push to the post season.......That field too also pretty bad I don't want to put RG3 at anymore of a risk than we have too...... :D

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 am

RGIII can get hurt any time he steps on the field. (See: last Sunday.) Seriously, I understand your concern. I'm nervous watching that kid EVERY play whether he's got a sprained knee or not. But you could rest him on Sunday, miss the playoffs and see RGIII tear an ACL in game 3 of the preseason next year. Its a dangerous game.

We're in contention for the playoffs. Let the players play.

And just for the record, if KC1 gets the start he's got my full support!!!! :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 am

I don't think you're an idiot .... :wink:

I do not think that ALL NFL defensive players are out to injure other players - I do think that a defensive player would love to hit the offensive player hard enough that he could either take the player out of the game, cause him to fumble or cause him to not be able to play as well as he can - there's a subtle difference AND it is a part of the game - the NFL would not be as exciting if the really hard hits were not allowed - that is why they wear helmets, to protect the head AND to protect the head of the player that hits another player with his helmet

RG3 has become a player that the defenses realize that if they can get a good clean hit on him, he might not be able to finish the game - that is a part of the game and RG3 has to realize that he's GOT TO AVOID TAKING BIG HITS

I also think that RECENTLY the refs are looking to protect RG3 because they know he's a VERY valuable commodity to the NFL

so again - I don't think the intent of the defensive player is to "injure" another player - the 'intent' is more to hit him as hard as you can

there's a difference between coaches who encourage hard hitting and coaches who are involved with plans to take out opposing players - IMO Coach Williams tried to get his players to take out other players - IF Sean Peyton and Greg Williams did not know that such a 'plan' was in effect AND then denied it even existed - they would not have taken that punishment
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 am

riggofan wrote:RGIII can get hurt any time he steps on the field. (See: last Sunday.) Seriously, I understand your concern. I'm nervous watching that kid EVERY play whether he's got a sprained knee or not. But you could rest him on Sunday, miss the playoffs and see RGIII tear an ACL in game 3 of the preseason next year. Its a dangerous game.

We're in contention for the playoffs. Let the players play.

And just for the record, if KC1 gets the start he's got my full support!!!! :)

+1 :)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:52 am

There's no chance of RG3 playing if the injury could be made worse

The 'injury' is a mild sprain - unless there is something else he's perfectly fine to play and he will play

btw - I have complete faith that we can win with either QB - we'd be starting Kirk if RG3 could not go but we're NOT starting Kirk JUST to let RG3 'rest'

THAT IS NOT HAPPENING
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:02 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I don't think you're an idiot .... :wink:

Then I've clearly fooled you. :)

Ok, big hits are part of the game. I think what the earlier poster (DarthMonk) wrote though had nothing to do with big hits:

Not necessarily with regard to this hit but I really feel like guys are "out to get" Griff. I'm watching the Packer/Lion game and when Rodgers is vulnerable he simply is not targeted in the same way - not even by Suh. I also saw a guy go for Griff's head today on the sideline. Griff saw it coming, ducked, there was still helmet-to-helmet contact ... and no freaking call! What gives? Is it cuz he is a rookie with endorsements? Is it Bryce Harper getting thrown at in his first at bat? WTF? Guys are catching flags for trying to break up passes with good hits but guys are going after Griff's head EVERY WEEK and getting away with it.

I agree with what he wrote, and this is what I'm saying is not part of the game.

I don't worry so much about RGIII taking big hits. He's a smart kid who is learning to avoid those. Its these players who are determined to hit him one way or another. Hitting him late, out of bounds, leading with the helmet, while he's sliding, etc; He can't avoid these things, and the league/refs need to protect him.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:10 pm

RG3 joins practice Wednesday

Robert Griffin III was on the field at Redskins Park for practice and did not appear to be slowed significantly by the knee injury he suffered in Sunday’s victory over the Ravens.

Griffin was diagnosed with a Grade 1 sprain of the LCL in his right knee and did not return to the game, raising questions about his ability to suit up in Cleveland this weekend. But the standout rookie could be ahead of schedule. He participated in pre-practice stretches and the individual drills portion of practice, which is the only part reporters are permitted to watch.

Griffin was sporting sweat pants and was not wearing a brace on the outside.

It’s unclear how much Griffin will do in the more strenuous team drills, but Coach Mike Shanahan is expected to provide an update after the session. Griffin is also expected to address the media around 2 p.m.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:26 pm

This just in, we have an amazing person/athlete/mind/competitor/WINNER playing QB for the Washington Redskins. Buckle up, its going to be a fantastic ride.

HAIL TO RGIII!!!!
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:47 pm

riggofan wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think we start Kirk and worse case RG3 can come off the bench depending on how his knee feels, I think we need to give him as much rest as possible especially with us still having to play 2 NFC East teams. I would hope that Kyle can use some plays that the Browns haven't seen a lot of and it gives us 28 points, I don't see Cleveland putting more than 17 points on us hopefully but you never know.

If Cousins has to start, then it is what it is. I'm going to assume at the point that the coaches don't feel RGIII can be effective given his injury.

I just don't agree that we have the luxury of deciding to rest RGII vs. the Browns to save him for later games. If we want to make the playoffs we may need to win every one of these last three games. If we lose vs the Browns, the next two games could be meaningless. Look at the wildcard/division scenarios and do the math.

RGIII is our best player, period. If he can run at 80%, he's had more game experience and knows our offense better than Cousins. If he physically just can't go, then fine. But Ben Roethlisberger is out there playing with a rib injury that could slice his freaking aorta, trying to make a playoff run. Give RGIII the motrin 800 and let him have a chance to lead his team.

I do NOT think that RG3 is 'injured' - he's got a mild sprain - it's been determined that it is a grade 1 sprain

RG3 would NOT be allowed to practice much less play if there was any chance - however slight, of his aggravating what happened to him or if his practicing AND playing were likely to cause further problems from having this grade 1 sprain

RG3 is ONLY playing IF he gives this team the best chance at winning

RG3 is ONLY playing IF there is no complications from practicing and playing

IF RG3 is on the field he's good to go

otherwise - we'll win the game with Kirk Cousins

we have since heard that RG3 is practicing - he is NOT going to be "risking" anything

the "INJURY" is a grade 1 sprain - there are many players playing with lot's worse wrong with them

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:17 pm

emoses14 wrote:This just in, we have an amazing person/athlete/mind/competitor/WINNER playing QB for the Washington Redskins. Buckle up, its going to be a fantastic ride.

HAIL TO RGIII!!!!

He's the man. Sometimes I can't believe this guy is on our team.

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:32 pm

riggofan wrote:
emoses14 wrote:This just in, we have an amazing person/athlete/mind/competitor/WINNER playing QB for the Washington Redskins. Buckle up, its going to be a fantastic ride.

HAIL TO RGIII!!!!

Just think we only had to wait 20 something yrs for him :lol:

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:
riggofan wrote:

HAIL TO RGIII!!!!

LOL. Did everybody see that list of Redskins starting QBs from the past 20 years CBS flashed during the game on Sunday? Painful and ridiculous.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:09 pm

riggofan wrote:
Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:
riggofan wrote:

HAIL TO RGIII!!!!

LOL. Did everybody see that list of Redskins starting QBs from the past 20 years CBS flashed during the game on Sunday? Painful and ridiculous.

No I did not. And neither did you. It didn't happen.

Plus that was the past, why you bringing up old [stuff]?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Robert Griffin III is one of the best QB prospects in the past 30 years ..

the way the game is played today is VASTLY different than it was even 10 years ago and this kid is exemplifies the way the game will be played by the QB in the future

I did see that list of past QBs but the bigger issue for our franchise was not just at the QB position - we did not have anyone in charge here that had a clue - we could have had Brady or Manning and it would not have mattered - we still would not have done well

This franchise had absolutely no chance for survival with Snyder and Cerrato

IF Snyder had drafted RG3 and put him with coaches and players that he thought would "win" - we would not be thinking we had a chance at making the playoffs OR at building a consistently competitive franchise around him

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS and HAIL TO RG3

and a big thank you to the FO :lol:

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:16 pm

2012 Robert Griffin III (11)
2011 Rex Grossman (13) / John Beck (3)
2010 Donovan McNabb (13) / Rex Grossman (3)
2009 Jason Campbell (16)
2008 Jason Campbell (16)
2007 Jason Campbell (13) / Todd Collins (3)
2006 Mark Brunell (9) / Jason Campbell (7)
2005 Mark Brunell (15) / Patrick Ramsey (1)
2004 Mark Brunell (9) / Patrick Ramsey (7)
2003 Patrick Ramsey (11) / Tim Hasselbeck (5)
2002 Shane Matthews (7) / Patrick Ramsey (5) / Danny Wuerffel (4)
2001 Tony Banks (14) / Jeff George (2)
2000 Brad Johnson (11) / Jeff George (5)
1999 Brad Johnson (16)
1998 Trent Green (14) / Gus Frerotte (2)
1997 Gus Frerotte (13) / Jeff Hostetler (3)
1996 Gus Frerotte (16)
1995 Gus Frerotte (11) / Heath Shuler (5)
1994 Heath Shuler (8 / John Friesz (4) / Gus Frerotte (4)
1993 Mark Rypien (10) / Rich Gannon (4) / Cary Conklin (2)
1992 Mark Rypien (16)
1991 Mark Rypien (16)
1990 Mark Rypien (10) / Stan Humphries (5) / Jeff Rutledge (1)
1989 Mark Rypien (14) / Doug Williams (2)
1988 Doug Williams (10) / Mark Rypien (6)
1987 Jay Schroeder (10) / Ed Rubbert (3) / Doug Williams (2)
1986 Jay Schroeder (16)
1985 Joe Theismann (11) / Jay Schroeder (5)
1984 Joe Theismann (16)
1983 Joe Theismann (16)
1982 Joe Theismann (9)
1981 Joe Theismann (16)
1980 Joe Theismann (15) / Mike Kruczek (1)
1979 Joe Theismann (16)
1978 Joe Theismann (14) / Billy Kilmer (2)
1977 Billy Kilmer (8 / Joe Theismann (6)
1976 Billy Kilmer (9) / Joe Theismann (5)
1975 Billy Kilmer (12) / Randy Johnson (2)
1974 Billy Kilmer (10) / Sonny Jurgensen (4)
1973 Billy Kilmer (10) / Sonny Jurgensen (4)
1972 Billy Kilmer (10) / Sonny Jurgensen (4)
1971 Billy Kilmer (13) / Sonny Jurgensen (1)
1970 Sonny Jurgensen (14)
1969 Sonny Jurgensen (14)
1968 Sonny Jurgensen (12) / Jim Ninowski (2)
1967 Sonny Jurgensen (14)
1966 Sonny Jurgensen (14)
1965 Sonny Jurgensen (13) / Dick Shiner (1)
1964 Sonny Jurgensen (14)
1963 Norm Snead (14)
1962 Norm Snead (14)
1961 Norm Snead (14)
1960 Ralph Guglielmi (11) / Eagle Day (1)
1959 Eddie LeBaron (8 / Ralph Guglielmi (4)
1958 Eddie LeBaron (12) / Ralph Guglielmi (2)
1957 Eddie LeBaron (12)
1956 Al Dorow (7) / Eddie LeBaron (5)
1955 Eddie LeBaron (8 / Ralph Guglielmi (3) / Al Dorow (1)
1954 Jack Scarbath (7) / Al Dorow (5)
1953 Jack Scarbath (7) / Eddie LeBaron (5)
1952 Eddie LeBaron (7) / Sammy Baugh (5)
1951 Sammy Baugh (9) / Harry Gilmer (3)
1950 Sammy Baugh (7) / Harry Gilmer (5)
1949 Sammy Baugh (8 / Harry Gilmer (3)
1948 Sammy Baugh (3) / Tommy Mont (2)
1947 Sammy Baugh (1) / Jim Youel (5)
1946 Jim Youel (4) / Sammy Baugh (2) / Jack Jacobs (2)
1945 Sammy Baugh (8
1944 Frank Filchock (6) / Sammy Baugh (4)
1943 Sammy Baugh (7) / George Cafego (3)
1942 Sammy Baugh (8 / Roy Zimmerman (American football) (1)
1941 Frank Filchock (10) / Sammy Baugh (1)
1940 Sammy Baugh (11)
1939 Frank Filchock (9) / Sammy Baugh (1) / Jim German (1)
1938 Bill Hartman (4) / Sammy Baugh (3) / Frank Filchock (2)
1937 Sammy Baugh (5)
1936 Eddie Britt (5) / Ed Smith (4)
1935 Pug Rentner (6) / Bill Shepherd (6)
1934 Steve Hokuf (9) / Pug Rentner (2)
1933 Jim Musick (11)
1932 Hank Hughes (9)

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football