Brandon Banks - The Wide Receiver

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:07 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I'd call the kickoff fundamental.

meh. Kickoffs account for 6% of the plays during a game. The past two years only 50% of them are actually returned.

There's no question that the kickoff is fundamental. The question is: is it really essential?

If the league decided that cutting out the kickoff would really reduce the number of spinal injuries, concussions, etc;, I wouldn't cry about it. And you certainly can't blame a guy like Greg Schiano for wanting to do something about it considering what happened to Eric LeGrand. I think people are a little too guick to get all grumpy-old-man-get-off-my-lawn.

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Not to be too grumpy, but someone could get paralysed on any play. If everyone is that worried about it, eliminate football all together.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:32 pm

FLWSkin wrote:Not to be too grumpy, but someone could get paralysed on any play. If everyone is that worried about it, eliminate football all together.

What kind of logic is that? People still die in car accidents, so why wear seat belts at all? Come on, man.

Kickoffs account for 6% of all NFL plays, but they account for 17% of all those most serious injuries. That's ridiculously disproportionate. If you can cut down the risk of somebody getting paralysed by 20% with minimal impact on the game, you don't think that is worth at least considering with an open mind?

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:44 pm

Its perfect logic. The NFL is doing all this to eliminate lawsuits by former players because of concussions. If you don't want any football related injuries, ban football. Or, if you want the money, fame and stuff that goes with football, admit it is going to ruin you physically and just take the money and accept it or don't play. To me, everything else, like eliminating kickoffs, is just dancing around the obvious.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:01 pm

FLWSkin wrote:Its perfect logic. The NFL is doing all this to eliminate lawsuits by former players because of concussions. If you don't want any football related injuries, ban football. Or, if you want the money, fame and stuff that goes with football, admit it is going to ruin you physically and just take the money and accept it or don't play. To me, everything else, like eliminating kickoffs, is just dancing around the obvious.

Sounds like a realistic plan.

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Perfectly realistic to me.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:14 pm

:shock: WOW! ... just boggles the mind :shock:
Robert Griffin needs to step it up and play QB - he's got the talent he needs to make it happen

RGIII - week 1 - it wasn't bad, it just wasn't great - growing pains is all

HAIL

week 1 = 8-8

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:20 pm

What in what I have said boggles your mind? Players bitch about safety and then you get guys launching themsevles head first into RGIII's head like the Falcon game, the Eagle game and last weeks Raven game. They obviously dont' care about safety, every time it is mentioned they say how weak the game is becoming because of safety concerns, but then they want to sue the league later after they've blown all their money and say someone should have made the game safer. My points are pretty clear and easy to look up if you desire.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 pm

SkinsJock wrote::shock: WOW! ... just boggles the mind :shock:

LOL. I think I'm done with this one. :)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:37 pm

I don't blame you

I'm like Brandon Banks - I'm outa here :lol:
Robert Griffin needs to step it up and play QB - he's got the talent he needs to make it happen

RGIII - week 1 - it wasn't bad, it just wasn't great - growing pains is all

HAIL

week 1 = 8-8

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:26 pm

riggofan wrote:
FLWSkin wrote:Not to be too grumpy, but someone could get paralysed on any play. If everyone is that worried about it, eliminate football all together.

What kind of logic is that? People still die in car accidents, so why wear seat belts at all? Come on, man.

Kickoffs account for 6% of all NFL plays, but they account for 17% of all those most serious injuries. That's ridiculously disproportionate. If you can cut down the risk of somebody getting paralysed by 20% with minimal impact on the game, you don't think that is worth at least considering with an open mind?

Link please for your stats!

I haven't been able to find ANY stats that show that the KO is a statistically higher injury rate. Not saying you pulled that out of the air (or under your seat), but I haven't been able to find any.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:02 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Link please for your stats!

I haven't been able to find ANY stats that show that the KO is a statistically higher injury rate. Not saying you pulled that out of the air (or under your seat), but I haven't been able to find any.

Me neither. I'm trying to remember a guy getting concussed on a KO.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011/09 ... educe.html

Excerpt:

Further, looking back at the graph above, it appears that over the past few years, injury rates on kickoffs are in line with those on run and pass plays. In fact, in 2008 and 2009 the kickoff injury rates were lower than for typical scrimmage plays. Getting rid of the two-minute warning in the first half, a gimmick that only allows extra commercials, would have a similar injury-reducing effect just by reducing the number of pass and run plays.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Getting rid of the two-minute warning in the first half, a gimmick that only allows extra commercials, would have a similar injury-reducing effect just by reducing the number of pass and run plays.

Are guys getting injured during commercials now?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Getting rid of the two-minute warning in the first half, a gimmick that only allows extra commercials, would have a similar injury-reducing effect just by reducing the number of pass and run plays.

Are guys getting injured during commercials now?

I was quoting an article. I think without the two minute warning fewer plays are run. It's an extra time out. It amounts to a few hundred plays a year.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 am

As promised, I am once again bringing this thread back.

I don't think we will ever see him again.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football