Who's Gonna Start?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Who's Gonna Start?

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:06 am

The Washington Redskins are going to put a quarterback on the field Sunday. Which one remains shrouded in mystery.

"I can't tell you all that," Griffin told The Associated Press after Wednesday's practice. "First, I don't want to give the Cleveland Browns a competitive advantage. And I don't want to let anybody down, so I don't want to say that I'll be playing and end up not playing."

Backup Kirk Cousins was equally covert when asked about his status, indicating that Redskins quarterbacks have been muzzled this week.

"I was advised not to comment on the rep distribution," Cousins said. "So I'm sorry, but I'm not going to say anything along those lines, just to protect my team and give us the best chance to win on Sunday."

RG3 went so far as to admit that his limited non-contact work in Wednesday's practice was partly for show.

"Coming out here and doing what I did in practice, it's kind of a showcase for you guys to see me move around, and that I'm not on crutches or limping or anything like that," Griffin said. "But it's also for (my teammates) to see that I'm OK, and if I do step out there between those lines that they don't have to worry about me."

The Redskins (7-6) are fighting for their playoff lives, so the secrecy comes as little surprise. It's been effective, with reports out of Cleveland stating the Browns have spent time preparing for both signal-callers. When he's not playing the role of Cousins, Browns backup passer Colt McCoy is being used to double as RG3 for the scout team this week, according to ESPNCleveland.com's Tony Grossi.

It's encouraging that Griffin suited up Wednesday. The rookie passer appears to have dodged a bullet with the sprained lateral collateral ligament he suffered in his right knee against the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday -- and we've said this all along: We expect RG3 to play.

Might we play both? Any chance we play one on 1st and 2nd downs while the other plays on 3rd and more than 3 yards or something like that?

Any chance Banks is activated to give him a chance to "respond?" If so, I'd expect some fireworks - one way or another.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Re: Who's Gonna Start?

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:20 am

DarthMonk wrote:Might we play both? Any chance we play one on 1st and 2nd downs while the other plays on 3rd and more than 3 yards or something like that?

Let's hope not.

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:37 am

Just like Shanahan to do something like this. I don't think we will know who starts until one of them walks onto the field. Have confidence that no matter who starts, the Redskins will win.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 am

aswas71788 wrote:Just like Shanahan to do something like this.

Its just like any good coach to do this. Why not make the other team try to prepare for two QBs?

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Both of them will play. After RG3 puts up 35 in the frist half they will take him out :twisted: :lol:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:04 pm

riggofan wrote:
aswas71788 wrote:Just like Shanahan to do something like this.

Its just like any good coach to do this. Why not make the other team try to prepare for two QBs?

TOTALLY agree - this is not 'typical' of Mike - this is the right thing to do - any and all HCs would take the same approach if they could

IMO - Griffin feels like he gives the team that best chance and he'll go - IF Griffin feels at all like his play might be 'affected' he would not be starting

I'm sure that he plays and that Kyle and Mike will slightly tweak the play calling

we can win this game with either QB - we need to eliminate the silly penalties

this Redskins team will not be denied a shot at the NFC East
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

JSPB22

Re: Who's Gonna Start?

Postby Deadskins » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:05 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Might we play both? Any chance we play one on 1st and 2nd downs while the other plays on 3rd and more than 3 yards or something like that?

Not like that, no. But I could see Cousins getting the start, and if he's not doing so well, or we really need a spark, RGIII coming off the bench to play the second half.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:18 pm

I still think that RG3 get's to play and help his guys win this game - he's THE man here now - He's just too damn good

This team will not be denied and is going to be really ready to play well

RG3 is starting and leading this team by example

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:23 pm

I think that RGIII will dress for the game. I'm just not sure he'll start.

Depending on the extent of RGIII's injury, (if not >90%) I would start Cousins and if he struggles put in RGIII. If Cousines plays well, it all worked out. If RGIII is close to 100% then no question he goes.

Side note --- I love that CLE is preparing for RGIII with McCOY of all people. Whose idea was that? They should be using Cribbs.

On that note, Cribbs is one of the best KO returners in the game. I hope Kai can get eliminate that threat in some way come sunday.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:35 pm

markshark84 wrote:I think that RGIII will dress for the game. I'm just not sure he'll start.

Depending on the extent of RGIII's injury, (if not >90%) I would start Cousins and if he struggles put in RGIII. If Cousins plays well, it all worked out. If RGIII is close to 100% then no question he goes.

I'll buy that - I just think that RG3 is cleared to go and he'll be fine
AGAIN - I don't think we'll lose this game with Kirk as QB - either is good enough to get the job done
WE JUST HAVE TO NOT LOSE THE GAME

Side note --- I love that CLE is preparing for RGIII with McCOY of all people. Whose idea was that? They should be using Cribbs.

On that note, Cribbs is one of the best KO returners in the game. I hope Kai can get eliminate that threat in some way come sunday.

I think the same guys that didn't REALLY want to trade up for RG3 :lol:

If we score a lot the good news is we'll be kicking off a lot

the bad news is we'll be kicking off a lot to Cribbs - that boy is good

HOPEFULLY the Redskins' ST coverage brings their A game :roll:

Hail to the Redskins

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Let's hope that the Poster..........does not put a VooDoo hex on our team.

HTTR
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:13 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:Let's hope that the Poster..........does not put a VooDoo hex on our team.

HTTR
:-# Don't even say the name. It's like Beetlejuice.
"Givin'em the Business!"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:48 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
markshark84 wrote:I think that RGIII will dress for the game. I'm just not sure he'll start.

Depending on the extent of RGIII's injury, (if not >90%) I would start Cousins and if he struggles put in RGIII. If Cousins plays well, it all worked out. If RGIII is close to 100% then no question he goes.

I'll buy that - I just think that RG3 is cleared to go and he'll be fine
[/quote]

So let me get this straight. If RGIII is less than 90% you would start Cousins. But if Cousins struggles, you would then go ahead and put in the injured RGIII? :hmm:

I'd suspect if RGIII isn't well enough to start the game, he's probably not the best bet to relieve Cousins down a few scores late in a game or something along those lines. :)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:35 pm

I'd agree - if RG3 is cleared to play he's starting the game

are you kidding me - why would you not start him?

he's got a mild sprain and he's been practicing - he's starting guys!

the quotes by Mike is just typical Mike BS - this HC of ours can't lie straight in bed

Hail to the Redskins

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Well seeing how the front page of the Washington Post--not the Sports Section--the ENTIRE PAPER includes this picture of RGIII stretching his right leg. I don't see how he doesn't play this week.

HAIL

SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football