Kickoffs and Playoffs

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
DarthMonk
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Kickoffs and Playoffs

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:59 am

Kickoffs:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano offered a scenario where, instead of kickoffs, teams can punt after a score or attempt to convert a fourth-and-15 to keep the ball.

"Some people would say let's move the kickoff line forward even further," Anderson said. "Another suggestion would be to put weight limitations on the people who can run down on the kickoff play. The theory being that lighter-weight guys colliding will be less detrimental than heavier-weight guys colliding with smaller-weighted guys. So that would be another idea.

Playoffs:

Goodell mentioned one issue that is sure to draw the attention of most fans: Expanding the playoffs.

"Right now we're with 12 teams obviously. We'll look at probably 14 or 16 teams," Goodell said.


No thanks on all these proposals.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16161
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:37 am

Yeah, I think the playoff expansion would be totally lame. 16 teams is totally insane; that's half the league making the post-season. You would get 7-9 or even 6-10 teams making the cut.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13401
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:03 am

IMHO - just a case of RG trying to deflect the mounting criticism of how he's handling his job :roll:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11080
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:22 pm

This guy is simply the worst NFL commissioner ever.

While I'm not necessarily hostile to getting rid of kickoffs in one way or another, replacing it with a 4th and 15 is exactly the kind of ad hoc, stats-specialist BS that over time makes the game so ridiculous and arbitrary-rule bound. I hate it, though I like the fact that it gives me an additional reason to think Schiano is a worthless jerk.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13401
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:17 pm

I'm in favor of getting rid of the kickoffs IF the NFL gets data that shows that by doing away with kickoffs they are improving player safety

I don't care if the on-sides deal is done away with as well - teams have 60 minutes to get enough points to win
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16161
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:45 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I'm in favor of getting rid of the kickoffs IF the NFL gets data that shows that by doing away with kickoffs they are improving player safety

The data is out there already.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I'm in favor of getting rid of the kickoffs IF the NFL gets data that shows that by doing away with kickoffs they are improving player safety

The data is out there already.


Here's some:

Excerpt:

Further, looking back at the graph above, it appears that over the past few years, injury rates on kickoffs are in line with those on run and pass plays. In fact, in 2008 and 2009 the kickoff injury rates were lower than for typical scrimmage plays. Getting rid of the two-minute warning in the first half, a gimmick that only allows extra commercials, would have a similar injury-reducing effect just by reducing the number of pass and run plays.

Link:

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011/09 ... educe.html

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16161
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:15 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I'm in favor of getting rid of the kickoffs IF the NFL gets data that shows that by doing away with kickoffs they are improving player safety

The data is out there already.


Here's some:

Excerpt:

Further, looking back at the graph above, it appears that over the past few years, injury rates on kickoffs are in line with those on run and pass plays. In fact, in 2008 and 2009 the kickoff injury rates were lower than for typical scrimmage plays. Getting rid of the two-minute warning in the first half, a gimmick that only allows extra commercials, would have a similar injury-reducing effect just by reducing the number of pass and run plays.

Link:

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011/09 ... educe.html

DarthMonk

But.... but... Roger Goodell said it was so. :lol:

And I already responded in Hogwash.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I'm in favor of getting rid of the kickoffs IF the NFL gets data that shows that by doing away with kickoffs they are improving player safety

The data is out there already.


Here's some:

Excerpt:

Further, looking back at the graph above, it appears that over the past few years, injury rates on kickoffs are in line with those on run and pass plays. In fact, in 2008 and 2009 the kickoff injury rates were lower than for typical scrimmage plays. Getting rid of the two-minute warning in the first half, a gimmick that only allows extra commercials, would have a similar injury-reducing effect just by reducing the number of pass and run plays.

Link:

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011/09 ... educe.html

DarthMonk

But.... but... Roger Goodell said it was so. :lol:

And I already responded in Hogwash.


Me too.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
Posts: 1068
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Arlington, VA (Ballston)

Postby ACW » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:19 am

DON'T ;furious; W/ THE PLAYOFFS OR THE REGULAR SEASON!

the 'mudge
Posts: 14640
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:11 am

I HATE that Goodell's initials are RG...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

piggie
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: Maryland

Postby Redskinsfansince81 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:53 am

If you eliminate kickoffs then you would have to eliminate punts. Punt returning is more dangerous than kickoffs.
I think this is a stupid idea.
Expanding the playoffs is just another way to make more money. Greed Greed Greed

Hog
Posts: 1068
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Arlington, VA (Ballston)

Postby ACW » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:41 am

Redskinsfansince81 wrote:If you eliminate kickoffs then you would have to eliminate punts. Punt returning is more dangerous than kickoffs.
I think this is a stupid idea.
Not so. From somewhere else:
Probably because you have two teams of 11 guys each essentially running at one another at full speed, as opposed to having a punt where 8-9 guys on each team are slowed by fighting it out at the line of scrimmage.

piggie
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: Maryland

Postby Redskinsfansince81 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:08 am

Good point.

|||
Posts: 4319
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:45 am

We all love the game just the way it is. Why is this stupid Commissioner trying to change the game we love? I didnt like them changing the kickoff and I dont even like the new rules about hitting. A defensive player has to walk on eggshells to not get a flag.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to Around the League