Browns/Redskins Triva Dont cheat lets see how good you are

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:56 pm

...and I had forgotten that Ernest Byner was driven out of Cleveland after that fumble. I always thought that the Browns would have given the Redskins a tougher game in SB 22. The rest of the AFC was absorbed in finesse football, fancy passers. Only the Browns could have stood against a smash-mouth NFC team.

Went on for years like that.

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:52 pm

welch wrote:...and I had forgotten that Ernest Byner was driven out of Cleveland after that fumble. I always thought that the Browns would have given the Redskins a tougher game in SB 22. The rest of the AFC was absorbed in finesse football, fancy passers. Only the Browns could have stood against a smash-mouth NFC team.

Went on for years like that.

4. What 2 Redskins first round draft choices played at some point with the Cleveland Browns?

{Don't know, but I'll take a wild guess: Ralph Guglielmi and Pat Richter}

Ernie Davis could have counted if he hadn't died. The other 1st round draft choice that played for the Brownies was Kenard Lang.

And the trade to the Brownies was how Bo Mitch ended being a Redskin.
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:12 pm

You old timers know we are trying to get the Redskins history thread packed full of information right??
... But seriously, its a good chance to provide pics, stories, thoughts, hell even trivia to us young (and dumb) bucks. I think the very least you BOTH could do, is gush about your avatars!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:57 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:You old timers know we are trying to get the Redskins history thread packed full of information right??
... But seriously, its a good chance to provide pics, stories, thoughts, hell even trivia to us young (and dumb) bucks. I think the very least you BOTH could do, is gush about your avatars!

Be glad to. I created my Avatar from old Gameday programs that my father used to to me when I was in the Air Force stationed in Taiwan from '70- '72. I took photos from the programs to a local artist and had him create an oil painting from them as I had it laid out. I had to describe the uniform colors for him. The Avatar you see is a photo of the actual oil paiting that hangs in my house today, some 40 years later. It may be difficult to tell, but from the upper left corner is Charley Taylor, bottom left corner is Larry Brown, the bottom right corner is Jerry Smith, and of course, our beloved, infamous #9, Sonny Jurgensen, in the middle.
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Excellent back story! Awesome piece of art to have, and what a great job they did!
Now go to the history thread and tell me a little about each player... It's kinda your responsibility isnt it? If I don't.know much about them, then how am I to teach my son about them?!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Start with Sonny.

Taylor was a first round pick the season the Skins also drafted Paul Krause. Both in the Hall of Fame. Taylor was ROY as a runner, but also caught about 45 passes.

Converted to WR by Otto Graham (called "Toot" by his players...anagram of "Otto") midway through the '66 season, he might have led the league in receptions in just that half-season. Graham didn't care about running the ball, but his passing attack was a predecessor to the "west coast offense". One difference is that the 49ers never had a set of receivers like Charley Taylor, Bobby Mitchell, and Taylor. Yes, Jerry Rice was g=good, and became famous, but he hardly ever got his uniform dirty. Taylor was a top-rated college player in the last days of two-way football. Could have been a safety, a running back, or a WR.

Taylor was about 6-3 and was listed at 217 pounds...the popular back-field in those days was the "twin big back" formation, based on Jim Taylor and Paul Hornung at Green Bay. Charley Taylor was the "slightly smaller" fullback in the Skins version of the GB formation, but he was also the fastest player on the team. Accustomed to being hit and to blocking, he had great hands as well.

Bobby Mitchell was one of the star half-backs of the late '50s, a guy with speed and moves that shook defenders out of their shoes.

With Mitchell and Taylor both split, and with Sonny throwing it was almost unfair to defensive backs.

Except the Redskins had a tight end, Jerry Smith, who was almost as fast as Mitchell and Taylor, and who specialized in circus catches...the kind where he would leap toward a pile of defenders and catch the ball hanging upside down. Best pass-catching TE I have ever seen.

More on Larry Brown later. Watch Sonny play...the NFL Films video.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football