If cousins starts vs browns: We will lose

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:01 pm

The sad thing that I want to mention: Cousins "may not" be here next year and WE MAY be playing against him with his NEW TEAM....!!!

Come what may........I wish Cousins the best (either here or elsewhere). But I'm SURE he wants to be a starting QB in the NFL.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:32 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:The sad thing that I want to mention: Cousins "may not" be here next year and WE MAY be playing against him with his NEW TEAM....!!!

Come what may........I wish Cousins the best (either here or elsewhere). But I'm SURE he wants to be a starting QB in the NFL.

The beauty of the new rookie contracts is that he might be here for a couple years, or we might get a decent draft pick for him.

With enough teams out there desperate for a QB, would we turn down a first rounder for him? Bruce could do a lot with a first round pick including turning into more picks.

Knowing what he can do in relief of RGIII, keeping him is also a great option and he doesn't sound like there'd be sour grapes when RGIII returns. From the quotes I read, he sounds happy where he's at.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

08 Champ

Re: If cousins starts vs browns: We will lose

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:42 am

funsho2 wrote:Cousins is not RG3....RG3 have not turn over the ball like luck this year thats one of the thing that makes him special....kirk will turn the ball over vs a great browns defense.....and we will lose at a critical time....michael jordan played while he was sick....if rg3 can go lets go....these are critical games....if we win out we will win either the division or a wild card spot

:shock: I think we all saw that it's not all about the QB :lol:

IMO - Cousins knows and appreciates his position here very well - he stays and we have a good #2 QB who is happy to be here

he goes and we get some players we can use

I think we all saw this kid can play QB in the NFL

despite what some here think - Cousins can help a team win some games
:twisted:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:02 am

markshark84 wrote:I rarely (actually never) have done this but the temptation is too great.....

You actually missed his in-depth analysis:

DOGSRBACK wrote:1. You do not have a better RB

:lol: Too bad higher draft picks don't always equal a better player. I'd take Morris every time. So far he has yet to lay a 28-yard turd in a game.

2. You do have a better QB

We have two better QBs. I wonder if the Browns fans realize yet that they could have grabbed Cousins/Morris in the 3rd and 4th rounds, respectively, and used their high-powered picks on other areas of need.

3. You do have better core of WRs, but Gordon is better than all of them

I'm counting six Redskins receivers with more yards and four with more receptions. Not only is our core better than Cleveland's, but any given member of that core is better than Cleveland's alleged best.

4. We have better o-line and D-line

We didn't generate a ton of pressure (though still the same number of sacks as CLE). Then again the Browns had no rushing game to speak of. Do we blame that entirely on the RB, or does the o-line take some of the heat?

Anyway, while it wasn't the Skins' greatest day on the o-line, we clearly outperformed Cleveland here, too.

Again you get respect when you win, the Browns are starting to earn respect around the league. Without RG3 your team is ...you just have to look over the past 10 years to prove that.

I wonder if we have that respect now . . .

At Cleveland Good Luck with that.....

By the 4th quarter it was as quiet as a practice field from what I could tell watching on TV. Thanks for taking it easy on us this time. :up:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:45 am

Irn-Bru wrote:By the 4th quarter it was as quiet as a practice field from what I could tell watching on TV. Thanks for taking it easy on us this time. :up:

:lol: This is great, I loved seeing the "dog pound" empty!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:53 am

just reading the title of this thread... and got a chuckle.

You bama, how'd that work out for you?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:41 pm

It was a good game yesterday, but still not sure I see anybody dishing out a first round pick to us for Cousins any time soon.

I'll make this case too. You could trade KC for a high pick and I guess maybe draft a young CB or Safety or whatever. Then you have to spend money on a free agent QB. Or you could keep KC on his VERY reasonable rookie contract (his cap# next year is $500K!) and have money to spend on the secondary.

Just saying, I don't know that I would be so fast to trade away a known, quality QB to roll the dice on a draft pick.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:49 pm

funsho2 wrote:Cousins is not RG3....RG3 have not turn over the ball like luck this year thats one of the thing that makes him special....kirk will turn the ball over vs a great browns defense.....and we will lose at a critical time....michael jordan played while he was sick....if rg3 can go lets go....these are critical games....if we win out we will win either the division or a wild card spot

So did you ever come back to the thread and eat your words?? Just wondering..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Why are some of you talkin about trading Cousins? I honestly can't see any logic in that at all.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:01 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:So did you ever come back to the thread and eat your words?? Just wondering..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL

A lot of people usually don't come back bro.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:11 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Why are some of you talkin about trading Cousins? I honestly can't see any logic in that at all.

To get better at a position of more desperate need.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:16 pm

Deadskins wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Why are some of you talkin about trading Cousins? I honestly can't see any logic in that at all.

and possibly go back to Rex Grossman as a backup?

Still.. I can't see the logic in getting rid of Cousins.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:23 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

and possibly go back to Rex Grossman as a backup?

Still.. I can't see the logic in getting rid of Cousins.

I'm with you LPJ. No way I am trading away a guy we know can play QB to draft a CB. Like you said, we are one hit away from being Rex Grossman's team again. Forget that!!!! We can draft a corner in the 2d round or pick one up in FA.

PFW had a pretty good post on this today too:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-cousins/
Many (me included) think the Redskins would be crazy to flip Cousins for draft picks in the offseason.

Though the Redskins need to fill the void created by picks given up for Griffin with the kind of low-cap players that can be acquired for four years with draft picks, they drafted Cousins for one very important reason: with a quarterback who is prone to contact (and thus injury) via designed runs and options, the Redskins need a reliable backup.

So now that they have a reliable backup, why in the hell would they trade him?

If Cousins go, who takes over as the backup who likely will be used if/when Griffin is injured? Would they use another fourth-round pick in 2013 on a quarterback and hope for the best?

The best approach is to keep Cousins for four years, wish him well when he leaves as a free agent, and then have a new plan for 2016 and beyond.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:56 pm

People need to STOP and THINK ...

we are very fortunate to be where we are and we really still have a lot of areas of concern ...
we knew going into this season (even before the injuries) that we still had a lot of work to do in order to be a consistently competitive team

WE'RE playing very well and we've been very fortunate - I think we still have the same O line we started with :shock:

As far as Kirk Cousins is concerned - nobody's doing anything until we see all the ramifications of who will be available to play and what can we get in return

I very much doubt that Grossman is here next year even if we decide to trade Kirk

I do think that this FO will try and get as many draft picks as they can because we're still looking at some cap penalties

we need depth and we need a couple of good starters

We are NOT letting Kirk go without getting a lot in return - that was a major factor in getting him - he's a lot better than the "price" we paid

WE NEED DEPTH .. and ... WE NEED MORE DEPTH
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:04 pm

I'd be really sad to see Cousins go this offseason. In the long-term I think it's both Cousins' and the Redskins' best interests to trade him to a team where he can start.

But that's in the long-term. In the meantime I'd like to see us continue to get our value on that 4th round pick on the field. Like it or not, RGIII is likely going to miss at least a game or so per season, and I'd love for us not to assume those are likely to be losses. Cousins brings so much to the table.

Then again, if some team wants to throw a 1st and a 2nd at us this March . . .
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football