Should Cousins start vs Philly?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Deadskins wrote:
skinz1982 wrote:We will have to agree to disagree.

I disagree.

You often do... much to your credit.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
skinz1982 wrote:We will have to agree to disagree.

I disagree.

You often do... much to your credit.

You sayin' I'm disagreeable? :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Hail yeah! do you disagree?

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:15 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:If RGIII is healthy, he plays.

Just want to point out that Cousins has three interceptions in little over a game.
Griffin has four for the season. We can't afford to lose to Philadelphia. Play RG3.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:18 pm

While I don't think your reasoning was fair... I have to agree with the conclusion.

Hog

Postby funsho2 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:00 pm

The way some analyze kc ...u would think we have joe Montana on our hands.. ..matt flynn had a 480 yards and 6tds game ...and he is now riding the bench in Seattle while backing up a rookie

Relax people its only the browns

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:15 pm

meh...

Postby skinz1982 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:19 pm

funsho2 wrote:The way some analyze kc ...u would think we have joe Montana on our hands.. ..matt flynn had a 480 yards and 6tds game ...and he is now riding the bench in Seattle while backing up a rookie

Relax people its only the browns

Maybe we do? 8)

piggie

Postby FLWSkin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:41 pm

I'll settle for having a guy on the bench knowing he can come in and win a game if we need him to.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:49 pm

Deadskins wrote:If the doctors say no, then you go with Captain Kirk again.

Simply correct.

Robert Griffin will never say his knee hurts. He is a professional athlete, and, even more, one of the best football players of his generation. You don't get to be a super-star by magic gift...you get it by having talent plus having more determination than any of us can imagine.

If Griffin's knee is weakened, he will be a fraction slower to move away from huge guys who want to crush him. That fraction could be the difference.

Listen to the doctors.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:40 am

skinz1982 wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Oh, I understand where you’re coming from and what you’re saying. And I hear you to be saying that you think Kirk is the better pure passer, not the better quarterback or Option. And I am definitely saying that I think Griffin is. I actually think his stats aren’t indicative of the degree to which he is better than Kirk. I absolutely agree with the approach of believing your eyes over the statistics. They can be twisted to prove anything. But when I’ve watched Griffin play and read a defense what I see is mastery pre snap as well as post snap on all of the plays he runs, be it “traditional” drop backs or option reads. I think what you’re keying in on is the same thing I am, but my conclusion favors Robert as better than Kirk. The amazing part of this is that I agree Griffin didn’t do this in college nearly as much as Kirk, which is why I am so shocked that he is better than Kirk. I personally think this is what has everyone else in the league (you know the players and coaches that have to game plan to stop him and Kyle’s offense) so gaga and incredulous. They anticipate the running ability and the pistol and all of that, what they are dumfounded by is his throwing. For instance, if I may be so bold as to put words in your mouth, from your assessment I would guess you view griffin’s touchdown to Garcon in the Dallas game as having been a late throw causing Garcon to have to reach behind him to catch the ball. I see that as the epitome of how well Robert reads defenses and the play. He saw a window that didn’t fit neatly in with the manner in which the play was designed, i.e. Pierre breaking free of the first zone defender to the left, in front of the safety on high side fo the play and then the linebacker to the right who was floating to the play’s left. So Robert made the right read to throw it into tight zone coverage, slightly behind Pierre and trust his receiver. That is just one play, but is indicative of Robert talent at Pure Passing. I don’t see Kirk with the ability to read that play, make that pass or pull the trigger. Actually, I think he would have pulled the trigger, if he would have seen it, which I doubt he would have.

Make no mistake though, if we didn't have Robert and hadn't taken Luck, I would be (as I already am) OVER THE MOON about Kirk. I love everything about him. I just love everything about Griffin more (which I hear you to be saying you do as well, too). I do disagree with you completely on what Griffin would be if we took away his running ability. Frankly, he'd still be a better pocket passer than Kirk.

Hard to say if he would have made that specific read, lot of variables come into play. Reading defenses is an intangible and is difficult to conclusively say who is better. You would have to really study film and right now KC doesn't have a large sample size of games compared to RGIII. Generally speaking I think KC was probably more advanced and better prepared to read a defense in the pocket coming out of college. However RGIII now has played almost a full season in the NFL, so perhaps he is further along right now. My hunch is that given the same amount of NFL snaps, Cousins would be ahead of RGIII, but I can't say for certain.

Absolutely, RGIII has made some great throws and reads this year. Saying Cousins is a better passer isn't to diminish RGIII's skills as a passer, I'm just really high on Cousins as a pure passer. RGIII is still very good. He has the benefit of his legs and athleticism making life easier for him in the passing game. KC doesn't have that dimension but still excels...329 yards yesterday in his first start on the road against a good front 7? That is ridiculous.

Difficult to make apples to apples comparisons when one guy has played many more games, but from what I have seen so far, including college, Cousins is the more polished passer. We will have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough. Again, I'm OK and happy to disagree on a win win for my and your team.

HTTR
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:48 am

Cousins is signed for four years. I say keep him all four. We need a good insurance QB in case Griffin gets hurt somewhere down the line. Who's better in the league than Kirk Cousins? And people need to stop comparing Cousins to Griffin. Apples and Oranges, IMO.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football