Luck?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 am

riggofan wrote:Also I was going to add that we heard a lot this season about how Morris looked a lot better because of RGIII. Didn't the Browns game kind of squash that argument? Morris looked pretty damn good with Cousins under center.

There was a lot of talk by the "pundits" about how Morris' "subpar" performance vs the Browns showed how much his success depends on Griff. I think it's not so much that he has Griff but more that he has Not Rex.

When Rex played we ran boots and the defense TOTALLY DISREGARDED HIM. If he made a good fake and bootlegged to an open field all an edge defender had to do was stop, turn around, and catch him (maybe even get a batted ball or fumble as part of the deal). We were literally playing 10 against 11 with Rex.

With Griff not only can defenses not disregard him - they have to dedicate a man to him and if they don't they are in trouble. Someone simply must stay home on the backside and that one guy usually cannot get the job done. Thus, with Griff, we play 11 against 11 or maybe even 10 against 10 or 10 against 9.

When the Captain played against Cleveland they started off playing him like Rex. They stacked the box and we were playing 10 against 11. Morris mostly got stuffed. But then the boots came and the Captain made them pay the way Rex almost never did. And when they finally kept a guy home it wasn't enough. That was the play when Hank got his 2nd TD.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:33 am

DarthMonk wrote:There was a lot of talk by the "pundits" about how Morris' "subpar" performance vs the Browns showed how much his success depends on Griff. I think it's not so much that he has Griff but more that he has Not Rex.

When Rex played we ran boots and the defense TOTALLY DISREGARDED HIM. If he made a good fake and bootlegged to an open field all an edge defender had to do was stop, turn around, and catch him (maybe even get a batted ball or fumble as part of the deal). We were literally playing 10 against 11 with Rex.

With Griff not only can defenses not disregard him - they have to dedicate a man to him and if they don't they are in trouble. Someone simply must stay home on the backside and that one guy usually cannot get the job done. Thus, with Griff, we play 11 against 11 or maybe even 10 against 10 or 10 against 9.

When the Captain played against Cleveland they started off playing him like Rex. They stacked the box and we were playing 10 against 11. Morris mostly got stuffed. But then the boots came and the Captain made them pay the way Rex almost never did. And when they finally kept a guy home it wasn't enough. That was the play when Hank got his 2nd TD.

DarthMonk

DISAGREE :lol: our offense is completely different this season than last

looking at that 1 game and coming up with that is just BS

The Browns run defense is a little better than you're giving them credit for

there have been many instances this season when defenses were trying to stop Morris and could not

Alfred Morris plays VERY hard no matter who is playing QB
I hope we don't have to see Rex on the field but even if we did it would NOT be anything near as bad as last season
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:55 am

SkinsJock wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:There was a lot of talk by the "pundits" about how Morris' "subpar" performance vs the Browns showed how much his success depends on Griff. I think it's not so much that he has Griff but more that he has Not Rex.

DarthMonk

DISAGREE :lol:

Wrongly. :lol:

SkinsJock wrote:our offense is completely different this season than last

Simply not true. We've added stuff but we run tons of the same stuff. In fact, I heard the Captain himself say they essentially ran last year's playbook against the Browns.

SkinsJock wrote:looking at that 1 game and coming up with that is just BS

I've watched every game since Kyle became OC - and pretty much every game since 1972.

SkinsJock wrote:The Browns run defense is a little better than you're giving them credit for

there have been many instances this season when defenses were trying to stop Morris and could not

The fact is they stacked the box like no team has all year because they thought they could get away with it.

SkinsJock wrote:Alfred Morris plays VERY hard no matter who is playing QB

Duh.

SkinsJock wrote:I hope we don't have to see Rex on the field but even if we did it would NOT be anything near as bad as last season

Perhaps, but it would be way worse than what you just saw. We'd play 10 against 11 all day - and not make them pay - just like the last few YEARS!

Pretty weak post (by you) SJ. Sorry, but it was.

Other than this opinion ...

DarthMonk wrote:I think it's not so much that he has Griff but more that he has Not Rex.

... which I back up with thoughtful analysis, please point out one item from my original post which is not a fact.

Number 56 wrote:Oops. I shoulda stayed home!

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:07 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
riggofan wrote:Also I was going to add that we heard a lot this season about how Morris looked a lot better because of RGIII. Didn't the Browns game kind of squash that argument? Morris looked pretty damn good with Cousins under center.

There was a lot of talk by the "pundits" about how Morris' "subpar" performance vs the Browns showed how much his success depends on Griff. I think it's not so much that he has Griff but more that he has Not Rex.

I'm noting that you used quotes on subpar, so I'm guessing you're not in agreement. 87 yards and 2 TDs, right?

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:17 pm

riggofan wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

I'm noting that you used quotes on subpar, so I'm guessing you're not in agreement. 87 yards and 2 TDs, right?

Of course. And the "pundits" are so smart!

:up:

PS - but he was stuffed early for the reasons I point out.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah that's true. I'd bet the Browns kept Morris to his lowest yards per carry all year.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:47 am

Yet another reason why Wilson should have no shot at ROY. We all know their win over the packers was rubbish, now so to apparently was their game against Chicago

NFL admitted to the Bears after their 23-17 overtime loss to Seattle in Week 13 that game officials had erred by not calling two offensive pass interference penalties committed by Seahawks receivers. Both uncalled penalties occurred on drives that resulted in Seattle touchdowns, including the winning score in overtime.

I'm not necessarily taking anything away from Russell Wilson, but a large part of his candidacy for ROY rests on his team's record, a record inflated by 2 games, 2 games which if not blatantly called asininely would have them at 8-7, fighting for a wild card and behind the redskins.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Stating that Rex would not have success playing QB with this offense, this year is just an opinion that I totally disagree with :lol:

I have very little respect for Rex as a QB but there is NO WAY you can point to how badly he would do with this offense

ACTUALLY - that statement makes a lot of your reasonable comments VERY questionable - in my opinion, of course ... SORRY :twisted:
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:11 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Stating that Rex would not have success playing QB with this offense, this year is just an opinion that I totally disagree with :lol:

Did someone make such a statement?

SkinsJock wrote:I have very little respect for Rex as a QB but there is NO WAY you can point to how badly he would do with this offense

To whom are you referring?

SkinsJock wrote:ACTUALLY - that statement makes a lot of your reasonable comments VERY questionable - in my opinion, of course ... SORRY :twisted:

What statement?

If you are referring to my post, it was all about Morris benefiting from a QB who can make defenses pay for ignoring him (the QB) in a way Rex rarely could when they ignored him. You might want to read the post again.

Again, other than this opinion ...

DarthMonk wrote:I think it's not so much that he (Morris) has Griff but more that he (Morris) has Not Rex.

... which I back up with thoughtful analysis, please point out one item from my original post which is not a fact.

Feel free to quote the post.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby funsho2 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 pm

if luck wins ......its fixed

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Of course, there is no way to prove it... but I doubt, very much, that this team would be fighting for a Division championship were Luck our quarterback... yes, our record would have been better... but we'd probably be in the 6-7 win range. We won several games purely because of RG3's very unique skills.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:42 pm

Countertrey wrote:Of course, there is no way to prove it... but I doubt, very much, that this team would be fighting for a Division championship were Luck our quarterback... yes, our record would have been better... but we'd probably be in the 6-7 win range. We won several games purely because of RG3's very unique skills.

^^ This.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby yupchagee » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:02 am

SkinsJock wrote:Stating that Rex would not have success playing QB with this offense, this year is just an opinion that I totally disagree with :lol:

I have very little respect for Rex as a QB but there is NO WAY you can point to how badly he would do with this offense
ACTUALLY - that statement makes a lot of your reasonable comments VERY questionable - in my opinion, of course ... SORRY :twisted:

As far as I know, there is NO offense in which Rex can do well.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:53 pm

yupchagee wrote:

As far as I know, there is NO offense in which Rex can do well.

This is fact.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:00 am

Andrew Luck and his Colts did turn things around this season but the schedule makers have helped a lot.

The Redskins opponents are a combined 111-113-1
The Colts opponents are a combined 95-130

The Redskins have faced 7 teams with a record of .500 or better and won four of those games
The Colts have faced 5 teams with a record of .500 or better and won two of those games

The Redskins have played three games vs opponents with double-digit losses and won all three
The Colts have played eight games vs opponents with double-digit losses and are 7-1 (that's 7 of their 10 wins for those keeping score)

For all that, the Colts have one more win than the Redskins but there is a real possibility the teams could have the same record by tomorrow. The key difference would be the Redskins would be division champs.

I would be VERY surprised if Luck gets RoY over RGIII but since it is voted on by the media, anything's possible
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football