NFC East Champion Post-Game Thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:56 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:
44diesel wrote:
Bob 0119 wrote:
Burgundy&Wha? wrote:Seeing Romo's presser is.....satisfying. They are crushed.

I am desperately trying to find a link to it

Not sure if you found it, but here it is:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-g ... -It-stings

I did but thanks for the link anyway!

Hopefully the Pukes sent someone home with Romo to keep him away from pills and sharp objects. I know it sounds like uncharachteristic compassion for a Cowpies player, but I really like him as their QB and think the Redskins should carry an insurance policy on him.

This team has what our teams have been missing; faith.

They don't just "believe" they can win; they expect it. They believe in each other.

When I look back on these past seven games I notice that when the offense is struggling, the defense steps up their game and keeps us in it knowing that if they just give RGIII and AM a chance they will pull us out.

That defense last night was the best I've seen that unit play all season.

Awesome way to make the playoffs. We didn't back in. Those guys fought hard for it and in the end were rewarded! I can't get the smile off my face!

I kept expecting waves upon waves of Cowboy Excellence to overcome the gutsy Redskins...ahem!!!

I admit it's a mean feeling, but I enjoyed the picture of that Cowboy player weeping on the bench as the game ended.

Those guys from Texas thought they could beat the Redskins????????

This game goes into the memory along with:

- NFC championship before SB 7: all those long passes to Taylor, Curt Knight bumping FG after FG just to make the result clear

- Kenny Houston hog-ties tough-guy Walt Garrison: picks him up, like a rodeo cowboy does, and carries Garrison backward...Garrison's legs churned madly...about six inches off the ground.

- Daryl Grant's interception. No, wait: the first play of that game, which the Experts said would finish the Riggins-running Redskins. ("Can't win without Art Monk and Joe Washington. Dallas line won;t get pushed around by second-raters like Bostic and Jacoby"). First play is Riggbns right behind Jeff Bostic and I watch a pile move five yards straight ahead. Dallas wonlt stop the Higs and Riggo, I thought.

- "No, Danny, no!!!" The last scream of a HoF coach near the end of his career.

- Second Dallas game in '92, with defending SB champ Redskins battered every where...Mark Sclereth playing half the season with a broken bone in his leg. The immaculately dressed Cowboys with a small lead, pinned on their own 1 yard line. Aikman takes the snap, looks to <nameless Cowboy receiver best know for pushing off>, Darrel Green slices in front, Aikman pulls the ball back, loses it, scramble, Emmit Smith grabs bouncing ball, raises arm, hit, Redskins recover for winning TD. Jimmy Jo
Johnson musses his hair.

- Brunell to Moss twice in 2005

- Do-or-die end-season games in '05 and '07 when Joe Gibbs wills the team to crush Dallas. I think '05 migt have been the last game of year; '07 was around the beginning of the streak that took the Skins t their last playoff.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:07 pm

The Hogster wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
The Hogster wrote:They are 8-0 at home and 3-5 on the road. Why? Because some engineering geeks designed their stadium to amplify sound, making it deafening to hear in. Their record is inflated because of it. That's why they'll never win a Superbowl unless they get Home Field and the Superbowl happens to be in Seattle that year.

We will beat these clowns for the two prior losses to them in Seattle. Come to our house this time.

thanks for that - what a load

the Redskins players and coaches could care less about BS like this tripe :roll:

The Redskins players and coaches WILL win the game because they execute and play together BETTER than the Seahawks :lol:

have fun fantasizing about all the other 'real' reasons for us to be able to win this game this week :twisted:

I don't know why I bother, but I'll educate you. It's not tripe. It's fact. And everyone who watches football knows it.

CenturyLink Field has earned a reputation for being the loudest stadium in the NFL. The seating decks and partial roof direct exceptional amounts of crowd noise onto the field. The most vocal fans sit in the north end zone bleachers and their sound is amplified by the metal bleachers.This noise contributes to increased false start penalties since opposing offenses can miss audibles and the snap count.

In 2005, the stadium gained national attention when the visiting New York Giants committed 11 false start penalties.

The Fox Sports telecast producers measured the crowd noise level at a peak of 137 dB during Seattle's 34–14 win. Since 2005, the Seahawks have tracked the number of false starts committed by visiting teams and display the statistic on a scoreboard to motivate the crowd. Crowd noise contributed to a league-high 24 false-start penalties in 2005 alone.

Their stadium was designed to magnify and capture sound. Creating a huge home field advantage as evidenced by their home record versus road record. And, the number of false starts in that stadium. It was smart engineering. Just one look at it and you can tell that it's design is different from most stadiums.

Hogman: Thanks for taking care of this.

We could lose but fact is the Seattle D is smallish and fast and only really has an edge at home for all the reasons oitlined in addition to the fact that even when a visitor does not false start they are using a silent count putting Seattle's D on equal terms getting off the ball. That will be flipped in FedEx. There will not be as many Seattle fans as there were Cowgirl fans ... I don't think.

Also, things like payback DO matter. Football players are people and this is a game of emotion. Psyched teams with inferior talent beat flat teams all the time.

As you say - Our House.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:18 pm

Darth wrote:

There will not be as many Seattle fans as there were Cowgirl fans ... I don't think.

This is another good point. Seattle is not only on the other side of the country. But, their fanbase is extremely regional. They simply haven't been good consistently enough over the years to have fans on the east coast.

Sure, they'll be maybe 8 or 9 dudes walking around in a faded Steve Largent jersey and wreaking of Aristocrat Tequila. But, the crowd will probably be 99.9% REDSKINS NATION. And, we haven't forgotten those two losses in 2005, and 2007 at then Qwest Field.

I expect it to be crazy there. They are a very unimposing 3-5 on the road this year. This week will make it 6.

HAIL
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby grampi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:31 pm

Deadskins wrote:So you're saying that if we lose in the playoffs that our chances of going all the way are diminished?

Funny. I'm saying if the Skins can beat Seattle, then they're good enough to beat any other team in the NFC...Seattle is as good or better than any of the other NFC teams IMO...

Hog

Postby grampi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:34 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:If anything I think the closest comparison might be Stephen Davis. Riggo and Portis were both faster then Morris. Morris just seems to find the hole and hit it for a gain. Morris isnt the most talented but he definatley makes the most of his oppurtunities.

Portis was definitely faster, but Riggo was no speedster...more like a bull...

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:08 pm

grampi wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:If anything I think the closest comparison might be Stephen Davis. Riggo and Portis were both faster then Morris. Morris just seems to find the hole and hit it for a gain. Morris isnt the most talented but he definatley makes the most of his oppurtunities.

Portis was definitely faster, but Riggo was no speedster...more like a bull...

Riggo was actually a sprinter:

~Riggins was born in Seneca, Kansas and attended Centralia High School in Centralia, Kansas. While there, he was a three-sport athlete, earning high school All-American recognition in football, all-state honors in basketball and twice winning the Class B 100-yard dash state title.

~He was compared to former Cleveland great Jim Brown, and as a young back in the 1970s, Riggins had it all. He stood 6 feet 2, and on a football field he had the moves of a scatback, along with great speed. He had been a sprinter in Kansas, where, for Centralia, he twice won the state high school 100-yard dash in 9.8 seconds.

~"John always had amazing speed," Washington general manager Bobby Beathard said. "I remember watching him run in one of those professional track meets in the early '70s when he was with the Jets. They ran one of those special football 40-yard dashes, electronically timed, and he ran against the Broncos' Larry Brunson and the Raiders' Cliff Branch, two of the fastest men in the NFL, and the shotputter, Brian Oldfield. I'll never forget what John was wearing, suspenders, black socks and striped Olympic Speedo swim trunks. He looked like nothing you'd ever seen, pounding down those boards, big as he was. Anyway, he beat Oldfield by a lot, and he wasn't that far behind Branch and Brunson. His time was something like 4.6."

And that's something people don't remember about Riggins. In his Jet years, before then-Redskin coach and general manager George Allen signed him as a free agent in 1976, Riggins was a different animal than he is now. Power was only part of the package. Speed, finesse, balance, combined with excellent pass-catching ability, made the picture complete. "A white Jimmy Brown," was how one scout described him when the Jets drafted him in '71. "He'd catch that swing pass and turn upfield, and you'd see sheer terror in the secondary," said Washington Assistant Coach Dan Henning, who was on the Oilers' staff in '72.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:54 am

The Hogster wrote:You have mastered the art of saying absolutely nothing using the most words possible.

:shock:

Based on what you said here of SkinsJock, I have to assume you've never read even a single one of my books - er, posts...
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:02 am

Weren't we supposed to be wearing our throwbacks in this game?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Deadskins wrote:Weren't we supposed to be wearing our throwbacks in this game?

That's what I thought.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm pretty sure we wore the throwback uniforms twice this season
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:18 pm

Cool post on Riggins, thanks!

And grampi makes a good point about beating Seattle. I think we're good enough to beat any of the NFC playoff teams. You can point out at least one flaw with pretty much every NFC team in the playoffs right now. Take care of Seattle this weekend and anything can happen!!!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:31 pm

I'd really like to see the Skins, 49rs, Falcons and Pack win their games. That would put the Skins right here in the ATL next weekend and my behind in the Georgia Dome to take down the fraud Falcons.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:18 pm

The Hogster wrote:

That's what I thought.

Careful. Remember the Cowboyszone. :puke:

I remember wearing them only once - against PIT.

I suppose we'll wear them in our last game so give it a month. 8)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:53 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
The Hogster wrote:

That's what I thought.

Careful. Remember the Cowboyszone. :puke:

I remember wearing them only once - against PIT.

I suppose we'll wear them in our last game so give it a month. 8)

:lol: Play the SB in throwbacks. :lol:

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:54 pm

SkinsJock wrote:

I'm pretty sure we wore the throwback uniforms twice this season

Yeah, the first and second half of the CAR game.
Last edited by Deadskins on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football